• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Grass-types:
Chance: 0%-After the spirits event I have little to no reason to expect yet another pokémon. Not to mention, as others have stated, by the time a new one comes out, Sword and Shield will be a bit obsolete against whatever new game is in the works.
Want: 0%-I don't want any more pokémon, but let's see:
Venusaur: Fun in the core games, but doesn't fit into Smash.
Meganium: Worst starter ever
Sceptile: Lame compared to the other two Hoenn starters.
Torterra: Too slow, most unfitting for Smash.
Serperior: Doesn't have legs.
Chesnaught: Too uninteresting.
Decidueye: Same.
Rillaboom: In the risk of saying something dumb: it's just Donkey Kong with a drum. Hardly anything worth looking for in Smash.

Nominations: Dante x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Chance: 50%
This whole 50% goes to Rillaboom. Why add Venusaur when Ivysaur is playable. Meganium wouldn't work. Sceptile has been passed over far too many times for a DLC slot to make any sense. Torterra.... do I really need to explain why he wouldn't work? Serperior's snake design would be awkward. Chestnaught has no real reason for inclusion (and Greninja got in over him already). Decidueye would be cool but Incineroar already beat him to the punch. Rillaboom is the newest and would make the most sense.

Want: 75%
Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises in the world, and there for deserves to have a lot of reps. I love Pokemon, and I want to see Rillaboom in Smash. He's not my top overall pick, but I would be pretty happy with his inclusion.

Noms:
Akira Howard x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Protector from Etrian Odyssey.

Predict Steve from Minecraft.

Day will end in 24 hours.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to get into the Etrian Odyssey mood:

----------

Abstaining completely since I know virtually nothing about the series.

Steve chance prediction: 12.81%

Nominations:
2B x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Protector

Chance 1 - Let's start with the postives. Etrain is from Atlus, which has a character in the game, and it's parent company Sega also has a character. So that's a good start. If connection to Nintendo is a big deal to you(which I go back and forth on since Joker and Cloud really stretched that thin) then the fact that Etrain Odessey was on the DS and 3DS is a good thing. After that I don't really know what to say. There are a lot more Sega reps people are interested in with another Sonic character and Arle being the first two that come to mind. Also, given that this day has been going on for less than an hour and we already have 3 people abstaining feels like it says a lot about the chances here. Overall, I don't think this is happening but I'm leaving a small window open in case there was a major factor I passed over while doing some quick research

Want 0 - Yeah, I had never heard of the series before rate their chances so I can't really give a postive score here. At first glance Protector doesnt seem like it would be much different than a lot of other characters that we have(mostly Hero based on a quick read of a fan made wiki page), and since I don't really know anything about the series I'm not sure what liberities Sakurai could take with the character, so any creative pitches I might have go out the window. In general I just don't know enough to actually want this to happen

Predict Steve - 25 percent, think the range might end up from multiple 0s to over 50%

Noms
Vault Boy x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The father of the Persona Q games.

Chance: I never see this guy requested by anyone, anywhere. I don't believe there's any possible big promotional deal that SEGAtlus would really want from this guy's inclusion. 0.5%, basically if he got in I'd be massively shocked.

Want: Isn't Arle, nor Yu Narukami. So, I think me giving a straight up 0% is harsh, but accurate.

Sunflower x 5. Steve... is something. 19.26%. Most people are probably going to high and lowball his chances at the same time.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Chance:
Yeah, I'm gonna abstain. I have no clue about this series and who this character even is.

Want: 0%
I guess I'd prefer characters that aren't this niche. I have never seen this series being requested by anyone for anything.

Steve: 27.64%
the prince x5

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Abstain. Don't know anything about Etrian Odyssey.

Predictions: Steve - 35%

Noms: Monokuma x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Protector

Chance: 10%. Main issue is competition, but the chance is slim. That is all I'm going to say about that.

Want: 50%. I think that character would be fun to play as. Since I don't know much about that franchise, I'm leaving it at 50%

Prediction: Steve: 20%

Noms: 2 for Boss: Ender Dragon and 3 for Rival Pokémon Trainer

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
TIL Etrian Odyssey is owned by Atlus

Double zeroes

So allow me to educate you on Etrian Odyssey. It's a Sega franchise. It started on the DS and has had six main games, two remakes, and two Mystery Dungeon games (for a total of 1.5 million copies sold). The gameplay is a first-person turn-based dungeon crawler (basically a first-person roguelike) with the main gimmick being that you have to draw your map. From what I recall (I played one of the DS games, years ago) you don't have a defined character but rather make your party based on classes, and Protector is one of them.

Now for the scores. Sega won't get another character this Pass, and for next Pass it has lots of franchises and characters that are likelier. Etrian Odyssey is pretty obscure and nothing revolutionary or influential for gaming. Plus not having a defined character is a killer for most games.

I predict that I'll have a bad time tomorrow
Noms: Atari rep x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Protector

Chance - 0% - We already have a Sega character, and this one is fairly obscure. Even if we were to get a second Sega character, and that's a big if, he would probably be outcompeted by others.

Want - 20% - Not my cup of tea, this genre. I would rather have other characters.

Predictions

Steve - 5.35% - Oh boy...

Nominations

Kunio X5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain on Etrian Odyssey, though being a SEGA franchise with a lot of extremely tough competition I don't have much confidence in its' chances.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Predictions:
Steve - 15.47%

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Did you bring protection?

Chance: 3%

I'll confess, this is another one of those characters that I only really learned about when we got to this day. But after reading over everybody else's ratings, I think my own should be informed enough. So we have a rather obscure character owned by SEGA, created by Atlus, from what I assume is somewhat niche franchise. The chances are honestly pretty low there, considering that Joker opened the Fighter Pass as a representative for both that company and that developer. For FP5, we can rule this character out. And beyond the fighter pass. . . well, it honestly still remains to be seen if any company double dips for DLC. That is just one thing that has yet to receive a precedent.

Want: Abstain
I don't know a thing, so I'm not gonna give a want rating. Leave that to people who know more.

Nominating Concept: Any Xenoblade character x5
Because I still got nothing better, and I might as well solidify the lead, I guess.

Predicting Steve to get around 16.73%

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Protector

Chance: 0%
I'll be honest, I didn't realise Etrian Odyssey was a Sega/Atlus franchise until after people pointed it out (that's what I get for not doing research). Considering we already have three characters from them, I don't see this happening. Plus, it doesn't seem like it's well known to the public.
Abstain on want. While I'm not against Etrian Odyssey content, I'm not for it either.

Nominations: Glover x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x120
Unsafe Wiimote Guy x112
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x110
Aloy x100
Glover x95
[Rerate] Shadow the Hedgehog x95
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x95

100 - 51

[Rerate] Sora x91
Noctis Lucis Caelum x85
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x85
Ryo Hazuki x80
[Rerate] Heihachi x80
Mii Costume: Hollow Knight x80
Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
Sackboy x68
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Kunio (River City) x65
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x65
[Rerate] Monokuma x60
Reporter & Wrestler x55
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x50
Concept: Atari rep x50
Akira Howard x43
[Rerate] Dante x42
Meowth x41
Earthworm Jim x41
King Boo x37
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x30
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x30
Kazuma Kiryu x25

Under 25

Chun-Li x23
Urbosa x21
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x20
Giygas x17
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Vault Boy x15
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x15
[Rerate] 2B x15
Boss: Ender Dragon x14
Rival Pokémon Trainer x13
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x13
Toxtricity x12
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x10
[Rerate] Skull Kid x9
[Rerate] Waluigi x8
Freddy Fazbear x7
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x5
Terra Branford x5
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x5
[Rerate] Isaac x5
Chell x3
[Rerate] Andy x2
Taranza x1

Prince of All Cosmos rolls into the top seven, tying with Glover and Shadow the Hedgehog for fifth place. Sora falls off the top seven.

Lloyd Irving cuts through the 50 nom barrier.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
The item that evolves Rhydon into Rhyperior

Abstaining on chance.

An obscure JRPG character from a company that already got a rep... no thanks. We've got MORE than enough JRPG characters in this roster.

Steve prediction: 17.4%

Zeraora (41e) x5

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x120
Unsafe Wiimote Guy x112
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x110
Aloy x100
[Rerate] Sora x91
Glover x95
[Rerate] Shadow the Hedgehog x95
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x95

100 - 51

Noctis Lucis Caelum x85
Ryo Hazuki x80
[Rerate] Heihachi x80
Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
Sackboy x68
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Kunio (River City) x65
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x65
[Rerate] Monokuma x60
Reporter & Wrestler x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

[Rerate] Bandana Dee x50
Concept: Atari rep x50
Akira Howard x43
[Rerate] Dante x42
Meowth x41
Earthworm Jim x41
King Boo x37
Kazuma Kiryu x25

Under 25

Chun-Li x23
Urbosa x21
Giygas x17
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Vault Boy x15
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x15
[Rerate] 2B x15
Toxtricity x12
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x10
[Rerate] Skull Kid x9
[Rerate] Waluigi x8
Freddy Fazbear x7
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Terra Branford x5
[Rerate] Isaac x5
Chell x3
[Rerate] Andy x2
Taranza x1

Prince of All Cosmos rolls into the top seven, tying with Glover and Shadow the Hedgehog for sixth place.

Lloyd Irving cuts through the 50 nom barrier.
I think Sora's a bit... misplaced on that list.

D

Deleted member

Abstaining on Protector as I don't know enough about Etrian Odyssey to say anything.

Prediction: 35%

Nomination: Reimu Hakurei x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen this many abstains on a single day.

Day over.

Rate Steve from Minecraft.

Predict Thrall from World of Warcraft.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to get into the Minecraft mood:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Alex is better don't @ me

Chance: 9%
Personally, I don't see them being super likely. The "minecraft content" Vergeben talked about months ago was almost certainly leakbait, and we've heard nothing of it since- and with Banjo's inclusion, the possibility of a second Microsoft rep is small, to say the least. However, I do think Steve/Alex still has a shot, albeit it a small one. I'd be less surprised to see them than Master Chief or any other Microsoft rep, and while I don't personally consider them representative of Indie games, Sakurai might, and bring them in just for the history. There's no denying Minecraft's MASSIVE influence on video games in general.

Want: 35%
While I don't particularly feel like screaming for Steve to get in, seeing Minecraft get a playable character in smash certainly would make me pretty happy. Minecraft is one of my favorite games, and it's been a huge part of my life. The biggest reason I would love to see Steve, though, is the potential of a character who can build things on the stage. That is just way too cool of a gimmick. Being able to place blocks, to use as defensive walls, to aid in recovery, or even to help with a combo by keeping opponents closer to you, is one of the most exciting gimmicks I can think of to add to Smash. While I'm not going to start chanting for Steve's inclusion, I'd definitely put them on my list of characters to play as.

If Alex isn't an alt-skin though we riot.

Thrall Prediction: 0.97%

Zeraora (41e) x5

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mah Boi:

Chance: 50% - I don't expect him for Fighter 5, but I think he could come in Round 2 of the DLC. Minecraft is very popular, having kept its popularity and the fun many people have with it for a little over a decade now, and Steve himself has garnered a sizable fanbase for Smash (not to mention all the Minecraft fan art and builds and whatever people have made for Steve and Alex or made including Steve and Alex; back to Smash, there's even an animated moveset video for Steve with over 150k likes and under 2.3k dislikes (and Minecraft was not in the title); also, please ignore the Grotesque Steve trolls, they're not actually fans and they even harass actual Steve fans on Twitter). Some Mojang members would also like to see him in Smash, and he and Alex are basically the stars of the main game/the franchise as a whole (despite the side-games getting different main characters) alongside the Creeper (even on the official website, they have been mentioned in posts; like them joking in a recent news post saying the bees are the new stars of the game while also "telling" Steve and Alex to talk their agent; they're also used a whole lot on Minecraft's official instagram, including numerous pixel art images with whoever is running the account describing what's going on and mentioning them by name). He has toys, plushes, figures, costumes, and other merchandise, and him and Alex have appeared in official videos as well; Steve has even crossed over with other games, like Super Meat Boy and a few others (Minecraft stuff itself has crossed over with more).

Nintendo also seems to love Minecraft; Minecraft was one of the sources of inspiration for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Nintendo has a Creeper 3DS as well as the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack on the Switch and Wii U (maybe the New 3DS version as well? I don't know, I don't have it nor the New 3DS). I think someone at Nintendo even said "why didn't we make this first?" or something like that (may have been Miyamoto, but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that). Sakurai also loves it, but I know that doesn't mean it's gonna get in since that's not how he picks chartacters and stuff.

Despite all this, I think he's 50/50; I don't think us already having a Microsoft duo stops him from getting in, but it could be a factor if Nintendo and Sakurai want to work with different people, though I think they may just focus on the characters and so we could very well get him...but still, they could decide on other characters before him...

Want: 100% - Steve is my #1 most wanted and was tied with Banjo & Kazooie until they got in. They're in now, and have made me very happy, and Steve would give me that same amount of extreme joy. I've played Minecraft since 2011, when I was 11 years old, and while I did usually use my own skin, I've always seen Steve as the face of the game (since he actually is the face of the game contrary to what some in this community try to say, like I've explained before, even in the Minecon 2011 trailer; and he still is with Alex and the Creeper) and I have become attached to him like my other favorite characters; I've always seen him, and Alex as well when she was added, as the main characters.

I don't really have much else to say on this; I'm a huge Minecraft fan. I love the game, I love Steve, I love all the other characters and mobs (though I don't really care much for Story Mode, but the monstrous Wither is kinda cool even if I prefer the actual, smaller Wither); please put him in Smash (and maybe the Creeper someday because I really want to play as a Creeper by some official means).

And no, a game that's been very popular for a decade is NOT a fad and it's rather silly to say it is; if anything, it's now up there with other videogame giants like Zelda, Pokémon and Mario, just not quite that big, but it's still a cultural giant despite its small number of games. And I also think it’s very silly and ignorant to say it’s undeserving of its success because of Youtube; Youtube isn’t why it has had such a huge fanbase and was getting popular even at the start of this past decade, dear readers. Did Youtube help it some at its start? Sure, since it let more people know about it, many of which stayed not because of Youtube, but people kept to it because they genuinely love it, and so I find it funny y’all pretend people were going to let it die like other YT-promoted games such as Goat Simulator, as if that’s the kind of game Minecraft is (btw I actually like Goat Simulator but it gets boring after a bit). If the game wasn’t deserving because of Youtube, it would already be dead, or not nearly as popular and big. Microsoft saw its potential, too.

Face it, information is easy to pass around now, and people like making videos of these games. YouTube is NOT a good way to tell if a game is deserving of its success or not - as if this should even matter, because it’s a videogame and if it’s popular yet you’re one who doesn’t like it, just say that.

Nominations:

Waluigi x5

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen this many abstains on a single day.

Day over.

Rate Steve from Minecraft.

Predict Thrall from World of Warcraft.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to get into the Minecraft mood:

Not ecen close to a full page of ratings either. Major oof

Steve

Chance 10 - We can all finally say that Verge was wrong about Minecraft content now right? Steve is likely not DLC 5 and so far we've got nothing related to Minecraft in Smash. That's what was carrying Steve's case for so long and it now seems like that's just not true. That all being said I could maybe see something happening for him in the post pass DLC, but will it? My answer is no. I really dont think that Nintendo approached Microsoft for anyone other than Banjo and if they did I think Master Cheif would be the pick.

Want 30 - Never been a huge Minecraft fan. Did not enjoy the game much when it was a huge fad a few years ago. The game is iconic though so there's worse picks that could possibly be made here

Predict Thrall - 2%

Noms
Vault Boy x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
People really did not know or care about Etrian Odyssey. That was something to behold at how little attention was given to it.

The Red Pikmin

Chance: 60%. While he isn't pseudo-leaked anymore, new DLC means any pressure Banjo might've had on him is nullified. This is a guy that's really got everything I think you'd need to be a solid Smash Bros. candidate, in addition to being so overwhelmingly popular that Minecraft can cross promote Smash to drive up sales really high: Steve would be fiscally successful, so that'd catch Nintendo's eye. But what about Sakurai-san himself? I feel like the potential Steve brings will be definitely be a factor in appealing to Sakurai.

Want: 65%. Minecraft is really good, and I think, honestly, that the old guard has had so many icons that a new blood icon like Steve would be really refreshing. Plus, again, the moveset you can do with Minecraft would be ridiculously awesome because there's, just like Minecraft, limitless potential. And the stage has, yet again, limitless potential. In fact the only limits I could see are music and Spirits since there's a finite amount of both.

Lloyd x 5. Abstaining on Thrall predictions.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Steve:
Chance:0%: Yeah, I don't think so. Master Chief is huge, and honestly it feels like Sakurai might give us a stage of boss rather then a character.
Want:0%: and I'm fine with that. I love Minecraft, but I don't think it would be well represented in Smash Bros as a fighter. A boss fight, stage, AT, or all 3 would be far more fitting for the game.
Nominations: Shadow x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Blocky guy whose game never dies

Chance: 70%

Nobody can doubt that Minecraft is HUGE! It is the highest selling game of all time and is very popular in both the east and west. Minecraft is super iconic, to the point where you can find merchandise of it basically anywhere and even people who don't play games will recognize it. There is no doubt Steve would sell better than hot cakes.

With Microsoft on board and Minecraft having Nintendo presence for several years now, I don't see any big hurdles. Steve's biggest competitor is Master Chief, who has zero Nintendo presence. That alone makes Steve the next most potential Microsoft rep. The only question remaining is, will Nintendo approach Microsoft for another character? It's certainly possible. Nintendo and Microsoft are still buddy-buddy and since they already worked together for a Smash inclusion, Sakurai would be more comfortable working with them now, giving Microsoft a slight edge over other western companies. It really depends on how many more DLC characters we get, and how much Nintendo wants to branch out to even more new companies.

As for Steve's moveset, he has pickaxes, swords, TNT, potions, axes, bows, and other items that can be used in a moveset. Plus there is the potential for a crafting gimmick. Maybe his down special could be him digging into the ground and picking up a random item like a diamond which could be used to craft armor and weapons.

A lot of naysayers state that Steve would be too awkward and stiff to work in Smash. Well, look at Mr. Game & Watch. He is stiff, yet he works just fine in Smash. Other people will say that he is just an avatar. But we got villager. Some will object and say that he has no personality. If anybody can give Steve a personality, its Sakurai. He gave characters like Rob, Villager, and Piranha Plant more personality than in their origin games.

Love him or hate him, Steve is a likely contender.

Want: 100%

I love Minecraft. It's within my top 15 favorite games list. A stage that moves from the Overworld to the Nether and back and shows different biomes would be great. Not to mention the potential for stage hazards in the form of the various hostile mobs (creepers, spiders, blazes, ghasts, etc.) and background guests (like cows, pigs, villagers, and even Herobrine if they wanted to go there). Plus, I love the music and I would really like to see what they would do with the remixes. Minecraft is very nostalgic and close to my heart and seeing it in all its charm make it into my favorite game would be something heavenly. I would love it if we could just at least get a stage or music.

Predictions: Thrall - 10% (A World of Warcraft rep? It's sounds so crazy it could actually happen)

Noms: Monokuma 5x

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Now this is an interesting day

Steve
Pro's
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time, it's already on switch, and Wii U, and New 3DS. It's a cultural phenomenon. And the Microsoft argument doesn't work anymore because we have Banjo! Speaking of Banjo, now that we have him, I feel people will be more accepting of Steve since we got the one most wanted already and the ugly Steve meme was killed.
Con
However that doesn't get rid of my issue with Steve. Banjo and Steve are kinda like polar opposites. Banjo Kazooie is a much smaller series than Minecraft, but the duo are brimming with so much lovable personality and character, they got in. Steve however has as much personality and character as a Tetris block. Now I know people genuinely want a Tetris block to be playable. But "Steve" I find difficult to call a character. He's just a skin. Pixels that will be swapped as soon as you figure out how. Making him playable would be like having the drawn to life hero playable.

Now I'd like Minecraft content, especially a stage. I think a stage would be fantastic, especially if it's different every time you play. But I just personally feel Steve would work better as a Mii costume. I wouldn't be upset if he is playable though. At least I'm familiar with him, and for group of 6 blocks, he's got a lot of moveset potential, even if it would likely be awkwardly animated.

Chance 17%
Want 12.3%

Nominate King Boo x4
Skull Kid x1

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Man with No Bends

Chance: abstain

I don't think I'm unbiased enough to assess Steve's chances.

Sometimes I feel like the immediately recognizable main character of the best-selling game ever, which has strong Nintendo presence, is popular worldwide, and from a company already present in the game is a near-inevitability.

Other times I feel that sales don't mean much (aside from Hero, no character in the Fighter Pass has been from a company's best selling franchise). That Minecraft doesn't stand a chance against the juggernaut, in influence and critical acclaim, that is Halo. And that Steve's inclusion would be met with derision and mockery - if not from the hardcore Smash community, from the larger gaming community, as Minecraft is still seen as 'uncool' and as a punchline, and doesn't have much in the way of supporters to defend it. And honestly, the Minecraft fandom doesn't strike me as the type to go buy a whole new game just because Steve's in it.

So basically, I wouldn't be surprised if either outcome happens.

I've spoken many times about my dislike of Minecraft. Not as a game (it's a solid title and fairly original), but as something that's undeserving of its success - the Avatar of videogames. I don't think Minecraft gets to where it is if it isn't harnessed by YouTubers looking to get their names out by making child-friendly videos using Minecraft as a sandbox, and to me that feels ungenuine success - sure, money is money, but I don't think that strategy is something to be rewarded. (To be fair, Minecraft is far from the only game to be this, as others like Fortnite and Five Nights at Freddy's fit the bill to a T).

I also think Steve would look awkward and creepy, no matter whether they leave the original animations or make him all bendy and weird. Plus a terraforming moveset is bound to not work, and it would probably be the kind of gimmicky character I don't like.

That said, I've mellowed significantly (a few months ago I would have attempted to organize a boycott if Steve had gotten in; happy to say that's no longer the case), so if Steve got in, I'd probably just snark about it, not buy him, and move on with my life. But yeah, I don't want him.

Noms: Atari rep x5
Thrall prediction: 6.45%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I won't be able to do calcs since Saturday at best, I'm on vacation rn.

Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x125
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x115
Unsafe Wiimote Guy x112
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x105
Aloy x100
Glover x100
[Rerate] Shadow the Hedgehog x100

100 - 51

[Rerate] Sora x91
Noctis Lucis Caelum x85
[Rerate] Heihachi x85
Ryo Hazuki x80
Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
Kunio (River City) x70
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x70
Sackboy x68
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
[Rerate] Monokuma x65
Reporter & Wrestler x55
Concept: Atari rep x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

[Rerate] Bandana Dee x50
Akira Howard x48
[Rerate] Dante x42
Meowth x41
Earthworm Jim x41
King Boo x41
Kazuma Kiryu x25

Under 25

Chun-Li x23
Urbosa x21
Vault Boy x20
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x20
[Rerate] 2B x20
Giygas x17
Toxtricity x17
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x15
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
[Rerate] Skull Kid x10
[Rerate] Waluigi x8
Freddy Fazbear x7
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Terra Branford x5
[Rerate] Isaac x5
Chell x3
[Rerate] Andy x2
Taranza x1

Sunflower grows past Unsafe Wiimote Guy and plants roots in second place. Prince of All Cosmos rolls over Shadow the Hedgehog, Glover, and Aloy and finishes in fourth place.

Atari rep blips past 50 noms.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Steve

Chance: 25%. Given how popular Minecraft is, Steve has a chance of being in the game. Competition, and :ultbanjokazooie: getting in are concerns, but Steve could make it in.

Want: 100%. As a big fan of Minecraft, Steve should in the game. He has lots of moveset and alternate costume potential, he would be fun to play as, a Minecraft stage would be destructive fun and the music would be unique as well. Overall, Steve would be a very fun character, and who knows, we could have a Creeper as an assist trophy and the Ender Dragon as a boss.

Prediction: Thrall: 10%

Noms: 2 for Earthworm Jim and 3 for King Boo

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Inspector Gadget's most wanted character

Chance: 20%
I think it's safe to say at this point that Vergeben was wrong in that we'd be getting some form of Minecraft content, and with Banjo getting in Steve's chances have drastically dropped since the beginning of the year. That said though Minecraft is not something that should be slept on; it's one of the most popular games in the world and anything involving the game will practically print money. Assuming the game continues to be incredibly popular in the future, I think some form of Minecraft content in a Smash game is inevitable at some point whether it be a character or a mii costume.

I have nothing against Minecraft itself but Steve is just so bland and visually unappealing. I'm fine with Minecraft content in the form of a stage or mii costume, but not a character. Also the Minecraft music selection for Smash would put me to sleep.

Thrall chance prediction: 3.09%

Nominations:
2B x20 (daily 5 + my extra 15)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I won't be able to do calcs since Saturday at best, I'm on vacation rn
If you want I can do calc scores/nom counts until you get back.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
It's Minecraft! Laugh!
Chance: 50%
On one hand, bringing the best-selling and one of the most popular games of all time that Sakurai himself is a fan of to the Ultimate video game crossover seems like a no brainer. On the other hand, most of the DLC characters so far aren't from hit series that have sold over 10 million in games. Perhaps one of the most recognizable videogame characters isn't what Sakurai is going for? That, and there's always the chance he doesn't know how to do Steve's looks justice in Smash and decides a Mii costume would be a better fit.

Want: 1%
After the bear and bird making their comeback, my opinion towards Steve has gone from being against him to no longer caring. Would still prefer not to have him. I've played too little of Minecraft and he just doesn't seem like he would have any qualities besides moveset potential. I've said this before but Steve is less of a character and more of just some guy you control to experience the Minecraft world.

Thrall: 5.25%
Alucard x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If you want I can do calc scores/nom counts until you get back.
Oh cool, that'd be great. I can count noms, since I always do it on my phone, but I'm away from my computer so if you could find the time to do scores it would be very appreciated.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Terraria, but 3D and focused on construction

Chance: 10%
I don't see it happening, even with the announcement of extra DLC. The best Steve is going to get is a Mii Costume. Otherwise, Microsoft has far more famous franchises out there, such as Halo's Master Chief. Even amongst Minecraft, Steve isn't the most iconic 'character' (that's the Creeper)- he's just an avatar- and while we do have other characters who are meant to be player stand-ins, each of them have their own distinct personality outside of that, on top of a relatively creative arsenal. Even if Steve were an actual character, it'd be tough to give him a moveset that doesn't tread on the toes of Link, Villager and Isabelle.

Want: oof
Very much no. If I wanted a builder sandbox avatar character, I'd much rather have it be the Terrarian (from Re-Logic's Terraria), as they have a much wider array of abilities and equipment to choose from in creating a moveset. Additionally, as far as I'm concerned, Minecraft is not an Indie, and hasn't been since Microsoft acquired Mojang. Additionally, Steve's rather... blocky animations are a core part of what little character they DO have, and they wouldn't properly fit in Smash.

Thrall: 3%

Not really got anybody to nominate, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom