• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Among Us Character

Chance 0 - To keep it quite short, no this is not going to happen. Among Us is from an indie developer so that's a big shot to it there. There's also the fact that it's popularity being so recent does it no favors. It got popular after the FP2 announcement. There's no logical path for a character like that right now. Sure, it was released a long while ago but basically nobody played it. The only way this could happen is if Sakurai was scrolling through Steam one day and just random picked a character from a game nobody was really playing at the time. Sometimes being a more contemporary pick isn't bad but in this case I really think it's a killer.

Want 50 - I love Among Us. I don't really think it would be a great pick for Smash. Based on mods and the likes I think there's enough to make this work but I'd rather go for other characters right now. I'd love to see a Mii Costume though.

Predictions
Beat - 3.12%

Noms:
Far Cry Rep x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Villager sus

Chance: 0%
Sure, Among Us came out in 2018. But it might as well have come out in 2020 because nobody knew about it or cared until last year. Hell, it hadn't even been on any Nintendo console until last November. There's zero reason from Nintendo's perspective to have picked a character from it in late 2019. Hell, there's hardly any to pick one now. Sakurai outright stated on Famitsu that he doubts the game's longevity and lasting appeal, if that isn't a death sentence I don't know what is.

Want: also 0%
I really enjoy Among Us, I like games that make you think and it was a great party game during lockdown. But it's totally a fad. It'd be kinda lame to have a game that got popular in very specific circumstances get a fighter over franchises with longlasting support or history. And there's many indie games I'd like to see get in over this one.

Oh and the memes. The memes would suck.

Noms: Agent 47 x10
Beat prediction: 9.6%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Look, Among Us is one of those games became huge in a short amount of time but that wouldn't make Nintendo drop what they're doing and knock on Sakurai's door to ask to add the crewmate as a fighter a full year after the pass got out of its planning phase. Game came out in 2018 but only got popular way to late to have a shot at the roster. If its lucky, it may get a spirit or two but nothing more besides that.

Want: 5%
I guess all the reactions and (ironic) memes that would spawn that day would be pretty entertaining but it still wouldn't be anything exciting to me personally. I have never played the game myself but I'm not seeing Fighter Pass material either way. The devs would definitely be considered indie so that makes this Hollow Knight competition. Heck, at this point it would be competing with everything else and there are a lot of characters I would prefer over these little bean people. They aren't even the best choice for a Innersloth character out there.

Beat: 5.44%
Skullgirls rep x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: Among Us character

We know from the Byleth presentation that the FP2 lineup was decided on by November 2019 at the latest. While Among Us technically existed at the time (since it released in 2018), it was super obscure and didn’t get any actual attention until the second half of 2020. Because of this, I think it’s safe to say that Among Us wasn’t even remotely near Nintendo’s radar when they chose the FP2 lineup.

I was going to give a 0% chance score just by that alone, but then this recent Famitsu article happened where Sakurai himself actually talked about Among Us which dug the grave even further. In this specific part, Sakurai states that he wonders how long the game will last for.

If Sakurai isn’t sure whether an indie/community game like this will stand the test of time, then I see no reason why he would risk adding a character since it could be seen as a fad character in retrospect (see Fall Guys). I could perhaps see a costume/spirit event happening but even that is stretching it.

Want: 0%
Look, I think Among Us is a fun game. I really do. But holy **** this is one of those games that has been completely ruined to me by its community. Both the unironic and ironic memes that have been spawned by this game are some of the most toxic and obnoxious out there. It’s gotten so bad to the point where people will spam unrelated things with Among Us crap if it has even the slightest connection to it. For example I once saw a tweet for an article that was warning people of an actual criminal, but the tweet had 'sus' in it due to the headline being cut-off and the comments were flooded with Jerma pics. I usually try to ignore annoying fans when it comes to me wanting a character (see Waluigi), but this has gotten unbearably bad. I’m just really sick of seeing Among Us crap everywhere to the point where even a spirit event would make my eyes roll.

This is all without saying that I would much prefer basically any other indie character over this. Quote, Shantae, even some other indies that I don't really have any attachment to like Reimu, you name it. Those characters have at least been around for much longer and have shown they can stand the test of time. Among Us only became popular like 6 or 7 months ago and hasn't really shown yet that it's more than a fad. Let's give this game a few years to see if it actually sticks around before adding a character. Honestly though even if this game continues to be popular I just can't see myself being anything other than annoyed with this.

-----

Beat chance prediction: 4.02%

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x10

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Impasta

Chance - 0% (Costume 15%)
Not much to say here. Game's too recent, too small, too western. They don't have anything going for them except recent popularity - and the audience overlap between Smash and Among us is pretty small. I'm just not seeing it.

As a Mii Costume, yeah this I could see. Proportions might be a little off because the crewmates are rather round, but they could probably make it work.

Want - 0%
I enjoy playing the game with my friends, but to me it's just a timekiller party game. It's not like I want quiplash block boys or angry birds in Smash either. There is a certain type of game I like to see represented in Smash, and Among Us isn't it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Today's the last day before the top seven is locked, so make sure your nominations count!

Henry Stickmin x370
Mii Costume: Madeline x35
Concept: Team Fortress 2 rep x345
John Marston x325
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x320
[Rerate] Velvet Crowe x30
Crazy Dave x300

300 - 251

Excitebiker x295
Worms x290
Mike Haggar x265
Agent 47 x265

250 - 201

Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x250
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x232
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x230

Billy & Jimmy Lee x220
Zagreus x215
Concept: Far Cry rep x214
Tetra x205
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x202

200 - 151

Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x190
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x17
Rallen (Spectrobes) x160

150 - 101

Kaede Akamatsu x150
Riptor x140

Boss: Rayquaza x140
Stage: Bowser's Castle x137
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Trevor Philips x135
Estelle Bright x130
Senator Armstrong x130
Boss: Ender Dragon x118
D.Va x115

Concept: Skullgirls rep x114
Concept: A BioShock protagonist x111
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x108

Concept: Disgaea rep x105
Fulgore x104

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100

Concept: From Software rep x95
Giygas x90
Echo (Bowser) x90
Junpei (Zero Escape) x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80

Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie) x80
Ryza (Atelier) x75
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x65
Ghirahim x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x40
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31

[Rerate] Louie x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x20
Demi-Fiend x20

Beatrice (Umineko) x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Arthur x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
[Rerate] Brian x5

Meat Boy x5
Firebrand x1

John Marston steals fourth place from Concept: A 4X strategy rep.

Rallen has over 150 noms.

Concept: Disgaea rep rolls over 100 noms.

Today we have a new challenger in Meat Boy, who has 5 noms to his name.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Crewmate/Imposter

Yeah, this is the definition of a "poor timing" pick. The game didn't pick up steam until the pandemic happened, despite having been out since 2018. There's no guarantee that the game will maintain this popularity forever. Plus, how would the moveset even work? I mean, I guess you could reference the maintenance minigames and the kill animations, but those aren't the main focus. The big draw of Among Us is the whodunit mystery aspect, which I have a VERY hard time imagining how they would incorporate that.

Abstain on want. I have no opinion on Among Us.

Nominations: Concept: Disgaea rep x10 (assuming I have enough)

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Neku
Chance: 0.01%
I didn't think this guy was super likely even before Sephiroth got in. So I definitely don't see him happening now. Even if we were to get another SE character, there's a lot of bigger names they could choose before Neku.
Want: N/A

meme prediction: 1%
Noms: Senator Armstrong x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain i know little to nothing about this and am unlikely to play it as i think it would be rather stressful. though it curious that there are a few on here who say they love the game but arent for the idea of them in smash. the other day my brother suggested they be an assist trophy that either helps or betrays you, he said there should be more AT that backfire. hmm that concept might be worth rating down the line

anyway nom grunty x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Impostor/Crewmate
Chance:
0%
There is no chance this character will appear as a fighter in Smash, not in this pass at least and potentially not ever. Not only is it an indy, it also missed the negotiations window by a country mile. If Shovel Knight, Cuphead, and Sans, three characters who were from games that were bigger hits during the right timing windows, could only be made non-playable (to say nothing of Shantae and others), an Among Us character has no chance. However, I do think it'd be really fun to see them as a Mii, perhaps a swordfighter with the knife or a gunner with the handgun, and colors you can pick.

Want: 10%
Honestly, maybe this is a bit high...but Among Us is just a fun, cute game! It's so cool that this tiny three-person team made a game that finally hit hard and is being featured on Nintendo ads. It's a silly little game, a fun twist on the Mafia or Werewolf formula, and the little bean dudes are just adorable! Plus the moveset would be so creative, with the knife, skewer, vents, sabotages, and more. There's an awesome Japanese fanmade moveset video on YouTube that shows how fun they'd be to play. Normally I like to add characters with long legacies to Smash, but I can't lie; this is one case where personal bias wins out and I just would love to see these goofy little guys show up in the game. Again, I hope we get a Mii costume!

Nominations: Beatrice (Umineko) x10

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Imposter

Are you kidding me? Didn't this game just come out last year or something? Way, way too late to even have been considered, to begin with. Why was this character even rated to begin with?

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Thing The Game

Nah it ain't happening. Among Us became popular a while after the pass was decided. Before that, the game was practically unknown. I wish I had nominated Among Us content instead as there is a good chance of that happening but this is specifically a character which isn't going to happen. Sakurai also spoke about the game in a recent Famitsu article and you can get the vibe that he is waiting out to see if the game maintains its popularity before even considering adding a character from it.

On another note, an Among Us character could work well in Smash. Here is a well done video:

Want: 60%

I would be chill with this. I understand not wanting fads in Smash and all that, but for me I would be stoked. Among Us is a great game that could translate well to Smash with some creativity. I've played a lot of Among Us and despite my annoyances with the game, it is brilliantly crafted and a rare instance of a multiplayer game that I can really sink my teeth into. It would be fascinating to see how the Smash team would translate the game into Smash and there is potential for some really good remixed music as shown in the music post.

Prediction: Beat - 5%

Noms: Excitebiker x10

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen would you mind if I delayed Velvet to the next week? I'll make sure she makes it so you don't have to waste more noms.
Playing through Zestiria atm, and moving on to Berseria after. I kinda wanna have a taste of the game before rating her.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Imposter

Are you kidding me? Didn't this game just come out last year or something? Way, way too late to even have been considered, to begin with. Why was this character even rated to begin with?
In RTC, people bring up ideas because they want to hear people discuss them. Outside of fixed schedules, everything brought up here is based on what people nominate to be discussed. I can't speak for the person who brought this one up, but it is clear they wanted to discuss the idea of an among us character given the fact they nominated the character for months for it to be on the schedule this week (in fact the fixed schedule that happened post Sephiroth mean that it took even more effort to make sure it was rated at this time) Even if a character is not likely, people often use RTC as a sales pitch for the character. One of the best examples of this is when Adol Cristin fans made their case in November.

Even ignoring that, I really do not like this rude tone towards towards an idea someone spent over two months nominating this to be discussed. While I have in the past fallen victim to this, I and the rest of the RTC moderation team have made changes to the rules to ensure things are much more civil. In the future please avoid posts like this.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Chances: 1%

Well, I can't say much about Among Us other than it's a viral game which always come and went very fast without anyone caring and it's not like Fortnite type of viral trend but something akin to Baldi's Basic or Doki Doki Literature Club where it's just a one-off that only get updated from time to time that usually pretty small which make the game's influence very temporarily. Also, added to the fact that Among Us was just announced for Switch not too long ago with InnerSloth never really had any interaction with Nintendo until recently means that it's way lower on Nintendo's priority list, not to mentioned that if they might just so happened to be interested with InnerSloth I can't really see them picking Crewmate for any logical reason other than "it's a viral game atm!", The only thing I could see coming from the company is Henry Stickmin who have longer legacy than Crewmate and could be a rep for Flash game, but I know that won't happened anytime soon.

Yeeeaaah, no thanks. The game is pretty much really boring if you just play online by yourself with random people since what makes the game fun is the debate with others voices just like what several Twitch streamer did but, I don't have many friends so I don't know how I feel about that.

Noms: Disgaea rep ×10

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

CHANCE - 0%
Pretty redundant to explain after everyone else has already covered it, but Among Us didn't become popular until the FP2 lineup had already been decided. The game was technically out, but Nintendo would have needed some next-level foresight to predict it would blow up to this extent. Not much else to say beyond that! Pretty cool that Sakurai himself has commented on the game though.

WANT - 65%
I'll be nice since a lot of people seem to really not want this. I've seen the fan movesets and I'm certainly convinced that these guys could provide something fun and fresh in Smash. I like their simple designs, the game they come from is fun... not a whole lot to offer on the non-playable content side of things, but from a sheer moveset perspective I think I'd end up having a lot of fun with an Among Us character.

I also don't consider this game a fad anymore - it's proven itself to have longevity, extending well into the mainstream. My sister has played it with her friends at college, my mom has heard her elementary school students talking about it, it's still a very popular game among streamers (all over the world!) and hell, new Among Us related memes are still being pumped out all these months later. Fall Guys was a here today gone tomorrow fad, Among Us is more than that. It's more comparable to a party game like Jackbox than anything else, IMO.

BEAT PREDICTION - 2.65%

NOMINATIONS - BILLY & JIMMY LEE x10

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Smash is Sus

Chance: 5%
Want: 50%

Among us wasn't the phenomenon it is now when Fighters Pass 2 was being decided. And considering part of the reason Among us became that phenomenon was mostly the pandemic. I can see a Mii costume, just not a fighter in Vol 2.

Mii: Zagreus Mii x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I should probably say something since I somehow own its support thread.

Chance 0.01%
As others have stated, its boom didn't come until far too late. It also doesn't have much to offer in terms music and spirits. Maybe if we're still getting characters years from now, but right now I'll say no.
Want 70%
I like Among Us, and there have been loads of fun moveset mods out there. Also as I said, I own the support thread so I feel obligated to give a high score. Although its far from a most wanted.

Nominate Carmen Sandiego x5

Prediction 1%

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Among Us...

Although this game was released in 2018, the day it became phenomenon was in 2020. This is the year when FP2 was decided. It was too late to be considered FP2. Cuphead had benefit of doubt due to being like 2 years in advance. Even that ended in Mii costume. It was definitely not on Nintendo or Sakurai's radar at that moment. The time frame is still not there. Even Mii costume is doubtful. I guess Spirit event at most at this stage.

Want: 10%

Although I have had fun playing this game, I am not really into passion mode toward these guys. I think these characters can bring fun and wacky mechanic, but just like Fortnite, it should prove staying power long enough to join Smash imo. At leats for third party. I think Mii costume or Spirit event is fine, but fighter spot is something I don't want right now.

Nom: 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 10

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

Among Us Character

Chance: 0% -
At this point in time it's basically impossible. Among Us, while it's been around since 2018. didn't hit it big until the middle of last year. FP2 was finalized back in late 2019, so it really missed the boat in that regard. Furthermore, Sakurai said upfront in a column that he wants to see how the game's popularity plays out before he considers them. While Among Us is big now, Nintendo's not gonna interrupt existing plans for the pass to get the Crewmate/Imposter into the game. Granted, future prospects for this are looking brighter, depending on if it maintains its' popularity. Nintendo could see the value in it then. Though under the current circumstances Among Us is just impossible.

Want: 50% - I'd love for this to happen at some point simply because it'd be absolutely hilarious and mess with everyone's heads! xD Bonus points if they go for a detailed design and, for some reason, include those glorious sneakers (with a super high polygon count to boot!). The Crewmate and Imposter do have a lot of interesting tools at their disposal, and the stage could have a cool gimmick, with different events happening on the ship that the fighters have to fix, WarioWare Inc-style. Also being on a Nintendo system now definitely boosts their points in my eyes! While I wouldn't want them taking up one of the last two slots now, they'd be hilarious in the future.

Also who can resists those sweet sneaks?

Nominations:
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x5
[Rerate] Louie x5

Predictions:
Beat - 1.57% - Eggman and Arle exists, and SEGA is concentrated on other franchises right now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen would you mind if I delayed Velvet to the next week? I'll make sure she makes it so you don't have to waste more noms.
Playing through Zestiria atm, and moving on to Berseria after. I kinda wanna have a taste of the game before rating her.
I mean, that depends entirely if Crazy Dave can beat her out of the top 7 now

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Ha Ha Funny Crewmate go Ded.

Chance: 1%

Is a video game character..............that counts for something.

I firmly believe Among Us is just a "trendy" game, a game that only truly made its mark thanks to the whole [REDACTED] ordeal from last year, which is more evident since the game came out in '18 and NOBODY GAVE A FLYING **** about it, probably because we could go outside.

Even with its newfound (and temporary) popularity, i don't think it helps Smash in the slightlest. Smash Ultimate started development back in '15, years before Among Us, meaning that during the developing process of Base Game, FP1 and even FP2, the roster was already decided long before Among Us was on the radar, and the competition is strong with both indies (Gunvolt, Quote, Reimu if you consider her viable) and non-indies (i could literally list over twenty characters, but im boilling it down to Bandanna Dee, Ryu Hayabusa, Dixie Kong, a Pokémon rep as well, hell even the likes of Rayman and Sakura are more likely in my opinion) and i don't see any benefit of choosing the Crewmate/Impostor over any of these choices.

I mean, the developers even cancelled the sequel, and instead tried to ride the hype the game is generating now. That's short sighted thinking in my opinions, and i firmly believe that the game will fall onto the same trap that befell Fall Guys and other games (Doki Doki, Baldi's Basics, and any other games Scott the Woz mentioned in his Viral Games video) and by the time the next game starts development, Among Us will be forgotten, and with luck it would be a spirit.

Honestly the 1% is just me being generous, but i could make a case for giving it a Zero if i wanted to.

No thanks. I would rather have other Third Party characters that don't feel like Fads, plus like many here im dead tired of seeing Among Us everywhere. Not to mention i would rather see other indies before as well. I mean, i gave Reimu a really bad day but at least she's been around for decades and is not some flavor of the week game, unlike this character.

Speaking of Indies:

NOMS:

Gunvolt X5 (Azure Striker Gunvolt)

Yiptap

Smash Lord
WHEN THE IMPOSTER IS SUS 😂😂😂
Sakurai stated in Byleth's Sakurai Presents that he already had picked out all the characters for the 2nd Fighter's Pass, so I doubt he would've even considered Among Us for Smash because
1. The game came out in 2018 and barely anyone knew about it.
2. Among Us has never been on a Nintendo console when Sakurai made the FP2 announcement.
I know that Joker was never on a Nintendo platform as well, but the 1st reason with the 2nd is damning evidence that Among Us won't make it into Smash. If it was Among Us content that we were supposed to rate, then I would've given this score an extra 0.50% in case we get a spirit event, but talking about a fighter, I have to give this a hard pass.

I don't like Among Us. It's extremely boring and repetitive, yet people act like it's peak gaming. I also hate how people reference Among Us everywhere they go. It's so freaking annoying. People actually make decent Among Us fanart, yet it gets ignored in favor of "SUS!!!11111!!!11" memes. The only fighter I would be mad about would be this. Even a spirit event would make me roll my eyes. The only good thing to come out of Among Us in smash would be the ironic memes.

Beat prediction: 4.86%

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Among Us
I don't tend to give actual 0% chance but as everyone's said already, the timing for Nintendo to even acknowledge this game just didn't work out well for this pass in particular. It exploded in popularity very recently, way after the character selection was completed. I could not see Nintendo even acknowledging it otherwise. Depending on how Mii Costumes and the like are chosen though, it's possible there'd be one since it did get quite big when it did. Nintendo sponsored it themselves after all, and it even got a Switch port. But this rating is for a fighter from what I understand and not a costume so yeah it gets this. Maybe later down the line it'd have some chance but I don't see it for a while. Perhaps once the game lasts as it is a few more years, it seems it could either way.

I get that it'd be funny once it happens but it's not something I'm interested in, especially longterm. I suppose it'd be how I felt about Steve in a way, good for its fans and people who like it and everything in between but it isn't my thing. I can only hope it'd have a fun moveset but Sakurai and the team tend to do well with that.

Noms: Worms x10
Beat prediction: 1.5%

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Abstaining from chance for the funky little bean dudes.

Want: 100%
Hell yeah. Among Us is such a charming game and a neat spin on the mafia formula. The various tasks and kill animations could make for a great character, and maybe the vents could even add some great mobility options.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Impostor

It most definitely won't happen. As many others before me have said, the game got popular too late to be even considered. Yes it released in 2018, but barely anyone knew about it so it may as well have come out in 2020. Maybe as a Mii Costume or Spirit event or something, but I dunno. Also maybe in a future Smash if it stays relevant for a while longer, or if we get a new pass and fighters after FP2. Plus the beans are indie, so that doesn't help their chances.

Want: 65%
I just like the game honestly, and it has a certain charm to it! Not only that, but the Impostor has pretty great moveset potential, which could use the kill animations and maybe even tasks. They aren't among my most wanted, but I kinda want them I guess.

Noms: Gex (x5)

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
AMONG US

Chance: 1%

I could see it getting a Mii costume or a Spirit event, the Switch version did sell over 3m units in it’s first week after all. But as a fighter... Yeah no lmfao, planning for DLC finished in November 2018 which was wayyyyyyy before Among Us had it’s spike in popularity, and far before the team would’ve ever noticed it. So in that regard I don’t see it happening, plus we all know this game is the definition of a fad and it’s superfluous popularity only exists because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic which is eventually going to die down thanks to vaccination trials among other things I can’t go into detail about because politics, and us going outside is going to dampen the need for it, so like I don’t really see it getting a playable character ever honestly.

Want- 50%

Okay I admit this would be really funny and I’d love seeing people’s reactions to it why I'm putting it this high. I actually quite like the memes and I think the character designs are really funny so I would think it'd be really hilarious if it happened. I like dumb humor and I'm the type of person to laugh at the stupidest things possible (Except Family Guy **** that). Although when the novelty dies down I feel like it'll probably be like Piranha Plant where I thought it was funny at first but then eventually grew to realize just how stupid of an inclusion it is, which is why I'm putting it so low. It's a really stupid idea that I don't think will have a lasting impact but it'd get a dumb laugh out of me so I'd be fine with it at first.

Noms:
Kaede Akamatsu (10x)

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Among Us
It only got popular after the pass was already decided. Chances of a 3rd pass are low, and it wouldn't make it anyway. If being a fad was all it took, Fortnite would be in already.

Want: 1%
The game isn't that interesting to me. The character even less so. But worse options exist.

Predictions
Beat: 1.9%

Nominations
Crazy Dave x6

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Among Us

Chance: 0.1%

One of the most recent indie characters to explode in popularity do to once in a lifetime circumstances. Because its based on circumstance, I believe the popularity of Among Us is a passing trend. Among Us has caught the public consciousness but can it keep it? Currently its popularity is dropping but I expect it to gain another popularity spike again eventually. This game needs more time in the limelight for it to deserve a spot for the amount of effort it took to produce the game. Compared to other indie games I can think of many off the top of my head that deserve it more.

Want: 3%
Yeah, it would be funny but I would be left more disappointed. He's not really the fighter type despite how many movesets are made for him. To top it off he doesn't have a unique playstyle like Steve to justify it. The imposter currently just doesn't fit. I would rather have Among Us spirits than a playable character just to give the spot to someone who would be more interesting to play.

Noms: Zhao Yun x10
Predict Beat: 0.62%

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Can somebody link the SpongeBob/Peter Griffin tweets? The ones with Among Us ruining their lives?

Chance: 0%. Not coming out until 2018 is bad enough, but not hitting it big until 2020 is well beyond too late for this pass. I don't even think a Mii Costume or Spirit Event is possible by now, let alone a fully-fledged Challenger Pack. Besides, Among Us has exactly a song, which is ambience. Not exactly Smash material.

I've seen a lot of non-0's and I'm thinking, how? I can understand thinking any video game character has a chance, but the game having no reason to be picked until well after the pass was finalized just kinda goes a bridge too far in my eyes.

Want: 0% for now, but in truth, 80%. In the context of Ultimate this would be a ridiculous sell-out cashing in on a fad. Picks should very rarely be products of their time and any character that would feel dated would be disappointing. However if it can keep the gravy train going to 2025 or longer then I think there's no reason to be against it. I think the potential for an interesting moveset is there and they'd be really fun to use.

TF2 rep x max one more time. Beat will not perform very well, 1.41%.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Trouble in Terrorist Town

Among Us came out in 2018 and took off in popularity 2 years after release. The formation of Vol 2 came around during 2019, so unless Nintendo put a lot of stock into the future of Among Us at the time, we're not getting an Imposter in Smash.

I would've finished with that cause the reasoning behind Among Us not having a Challenger Pack is really that simple, but with Sakurai's comments on the game itself, it's a lot more apparent Among Us isn't going to be in Smash in some capacity. Forget him wondering about the longevity of the game; there isn't much gameplay mechanics in Among Us as the whole game revolves around social interaction with other people. While Smash is a very interactive game, the game has its set of core mechanics with its gameplay style. Among Us doesn't have much in terms of core mechanics other than completing objectives and voting crewmates out, and it's reasonable to believe Sakurai would reject adding the Imposter to Smash because its gameplay wouldn't ideally fit within Smash.

Want: 35%

Ngl, that fanmade trailer for the Imposter kinda sold me on Among Us in Smash more than I could say about any character from a game with as huge of a following as that. I know the final product isn't going to look like that if it does happen, but seeing it did make me go wow that actually looks pretty neat. It'd also be pretty cool to think the game went from having a somewhat small community for 2 years to blowing up massively afterwards. The devs were going to make a sequel up until that happened and decided to put all their efforts into the current game instead. It was already a feel good story to see the devs get some 2020 awards from it (albeit a bit BS that a fully released 2018 game is getting awards 2 years after the fact but that's just me being nitpicky), so the possibility of them getting stuff in Smash would add to that.

That aside, I've stayed far away from playing the game cause I'm not very good at those types of games. The Imposter is nowhere near my list of most wanted characters, but I'd probably be fine with their inclusion even if they don't make me wanna jump off my chair in excitement.

---------------------
Noms:
Zagreus x10

Last edited by a moderator:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
when the imposter is Smash
Sure, this game technically existed before FP2 was decided, but up until 6 months ago it was just some irrelevant PC/mobile game that nobody played. I don't think anyone at Nintendo was even aware of this game's existence before then. Even if FP3 happens, I still don't see it happening. Sure, we've had some blatant flavor of the month first parties, but the same cant really be said for third parties.
I'm not a fan of characters getting in Smash just because they were new to the gaming world at the time. I've also never played this game because my internet sucks, so I have no attachment to it.

Beat prediction: 4%
Noms: Senator Armstrong x5

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Are we doing predictions for the Sakurai Presents? If so, might we postpone Beat until after it? He'll only get like half a day at this rate :u

Nevermind, day ended sooner than I expected.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Beat from Jet Set Radio.

Day will end sometime around Wednesday afternoon. From there we will be doing predictions for the Pyra/Mythra presentation, followed by Pyra/Mythra satisfaction scores. That gives Beat a little over a day and a half worth of rating time, which is the usual average time for a character.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the roller skating + spray painting mood:

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
There are probably dozens of jokes that I could make here but I'm blanking

Chance: 3%

Well this is one heck of a game I just learned about for the first time (Something that RTC tends to do a lot) and there were some interesting things I learned too. Jet Set Radio debuted on the Dreamcast and was a hit. It got glowing reviews, a sequel, and a port for the GBA. It even has some legacy to it, with it being one of the first games to have cel-shaded graphics and it inspired future games like Sunset Overdrive and others (according to Wikipedia). Beat himself is also one of the many Sega characters that appears in crossovers like Sega Superstars Tennis and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.

But despite Beat's impressive resume, I'm not confident in him. Not just because of Eggman and Arle, but also because apparently last year Jet Set Radio's lead designer Kazuki Hosokawa stated that Sega has refused to greenlight another game for whatever reason. Jet Set Radio did get ports to the Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2012, but ever since then Sega has relegated the series to crossover material just like many of their other I.Ps, unfortunately. While Sega isn't choosing the fighters, it's clear that as of now they don't particularly care for Jet Set Radio and with Nintendo it's a big question mark if they would consider Beat at this point in time, especially with them supporting Sega's other series right now.

Want: 50%

I'm going to do something different today rather than my usual abstain due to not playing the game. I will give Beat a 50% because I did take a look at the Completionist's video on Jet Set Radio, as well as Classic Game Room's (Has anyone else here watched this channel?) video on it and I think I'm almost sold on the character. While there are probably at least 5 other characters from Sega that I would prefer, I would be lying if I said that I didn't find this game charming. It has that nostalgic early 2000s vibe to it with the music and the attitude. The moveset would also be intriguing. The idea of a character who is constantly on roller skates and goes around spray painting (It gives me San Andreas vibes) sounds neat and I think they could translate it into Smash. So while I would not be that hyped at first, this sounds like an inclusion that I might appreciate more as time goes on. It just depends on how they incorporate the world and mechanics into Smash.

Noms:
Bill Rizer x20
Excitebiker x5

I believe I have 15 extra noms so I'm using them all up

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Beat

Chance: 5%. Jet’s chance is very low, due to multiple other characters from Sega. But of course, there is always to possibility of Jet showing up unexpectedly, so we can’t rule out all possibilities.

Want: 50%. Jet would be fun to play as and I can see Jet and Sonic team up in a match. But since I don’t know too much about that franchise, I’ll just say Beat will make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining since I'm busy atm and am not too familiar Jet Set Radio. All I'll say is that I don't see Beat getting in with all of the Sega competition he has.

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5

Louie G.

Smash Hero
BEAT

CHANCE - 1%
Look, Jet Set Radio is awesome and I think it has a lot to bring to the table. But there's really no justifiable reason to believe Nintendo would seek out Jet Set Radio specifically over various other series that are more relevant, more popular and more influential at large, both within and outside of Sega. Sega has shown no signs of wanting to reboot this series or even rerelease one of the only three games in the series.

I suppose it's worth mentioning one of those games was Jet Set Radio on the GBA, so the series has appeared on Nintendo... but that was also the last game JSR ever had, 18 years ago. Meanwhile, bigger Sega franchises such as Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei and Sakura Wars are currently thriving and putting out new games as we speak. Not to mention the possibility of additional Sonic characters. This could be surpassed if Beat had a sizable amount of push for Smash - after all, the JSR community is a very dedicated bunch - but there have been few waves made in that department either. The vocal and creative fanbase puts their efforts elsewhere and creates fan projects and indie games inspired by the property rather than campaigning for Smash Bros.

Little fan support for Smash, no games in 18 years and there are at least 10 other Sega franchises that I believe would enter the conversation well before Beat is even a passing thought. His best chance would be Sakurai and Nintendo catching wind of all of those independent fan efforts and collaborating with Sega to bring back the series in a big new way, starting with Beat's reveal in Smash Bros. That's a major stretch, and I'm pretty sure that movement is heavily western-oriented so I'm unsure if they would have known about it at all, but yeah that's pretty much his saving grace if there was one.

WANT - 75%
Hard to turn down content from a game that oozes style in the same way JSR does. Everything about Beat's inclusion would be awesome, be it a moveset utilizing spray cans and rollerskates, a Tokyo-to stage and obviously Naganuma's iconic soundtrack. There are a number of Sega characters I would pick first, but I think Beat would be extremely fresh and exciting. They should probably work on porting JRSF to PC first, though.

NOMINATIONS:
BILLY & JIMMY x10
DEMI-FIEND x10

Top Bottom