• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain since there isn't much new to say in regards to Danganronpa and we've rated a lot of concepts for it in recent months. Releases on Switch (or Nintendo systems in general) remain nonexistant, but at the same time, Spike Chunsoft, the franchise's owner, has a very good relationship with Nintendo (though this doesn't always guarantee a Smash rep - just look at Level-5). Furthermore, Shuichi has heavy competition in his own series, with more popular main characters towering over him and main antagonist Monokuma as a frontrunner for the spot. Shuichi just isn't in a good situation.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Predictions:
Shin Megami Tensei Content - 14.74%

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Shuichi

Chance: 5%. Chances are if they get a Danganronpa Rep, it will be Monokuma, but with that said, Shuichi’s chance is not impossible. We seen surprising choices before and there might be a slim chance of Shuichi getting in, but who knows what will happen in the future.

Want: 50%. While I think Monokuma would be the better choice, Shuichi would be a fun fighter to play as. Overall, it would be a surprise if Shuichi got in and overall, Shuichi would be a decent fighter

Concept: SMT Rep: 20%

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Milquetoast Danganronpa Protag #3

Chance: 5%

I've never been one to give 0% chances because truly, anything can happen unless you're just some flavor of the month indie protag the thread decides to rate because someone kept spamming nominations until they muscled their way into the list, but I just can't see Shuichi happening.

First off, like everyone else said, if we get any Danganronpa rep, it'll probably be Monokuma. Second, while Shuichi might be one of the more recent protagonists, if we got any protag at all I feel like they'd go for Naegi. That dude's been sticking around in DR for a long-ass time, and he's probably the second "face" of the series behind Monokuma.

Plus, you know, everything that's been said in spoilers.

Want: 20%

A Danganronpa rep would be pretty cool, but of the possible options, Shuichi is not high on my list of who I'd prefer. Give me Kaede or Naegi any day. Maybe even Komaru. Sakurai could do a lot with the Hacking Gun and possibly even using Touko/Genocider Sho in certain attacks.

DRV3 Spoilers:

also i'm bitter and biased because i hate the fact that they killed kaede off only to replace her with this guy, i'll never forgive kodaka and i will never accept shuichi as drv3's true protag

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
gonna abstain as i still have no idea what danganronpa is. i might look it up one day but probably not

nominate chibi-robo x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Shuichi Saihara
Chance: 0.000001%.
Sorry, but he's definently not happening. TCT used most of my points, but let's break it down. First, he has to deal with Monokuma, who alone is insanely popular. Then, if he has to deal with non-Monokuma human protags, he has to deal with Hajime who's insanely popular and iconic, as well as Naegi who is less popular but is definently very viable as well. And then if we discount all the non V3 chars, he STILL has to deal with Kaede and K1-B0, both of whom were advertised more IIRC and the fact that Shuichi is a walking spoiler does not do him any favors.
Want:100%:
I love him as a character. Sure, I'd prefer Hajime by a longshot, but Shuichi is an amazing character who gets amazing development throughout V3, albeit I have many problems with V3 as a game, cough CASE ****ING 2 cough that does not mean I dislike Shuichi as a character, as he's probably the best executed part of V3. So yes, I'd be down for him.
Nominations: Hajime Hinata x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Shuichi Saihara
Chance: 0.000001%.
Sorry, but he's definently not happening. TCT used most of my points, but let's break it down. First, he has to deal with Monokuma, who alone is insanely popular. Then, if he has to deal with non-Monokuma human protags, he has to deal with Hajime who's insanely popular and iconic, as well as Naegi who is less popular but is definently very viable as well. And then if we discount all the non V3 chars, he STILL has to deal with Kaede and K1-B0, both of whom were advertised more IIRC and the fact that Shuichi is a walking spoiler does not do him any favors.
Want:100%:
I love him as a character. Sure, I'd prefer Hajime by a longshot, but Shuichi is an amazing character who gets amazing development throughout V3, albeit I have many problems with V3 as a game, cough CASE ****ING 2 cough that does not mean I dislike Shuichi as a character, as he's probably the best executed part of V3. So yes, I'd be down for him.
Nominations: Hajime Hinata x5
I'm curious as to why case 2 is your issue and not 3, care to explain? With spoiler tags of course

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Hooo boy.
While yes, 3-3 isn't great, it at least matters to the story and Korekiyo while not great as a culprit has a great breakdown and his motive is interesting, if disgusting. 3-2 has the dumbest motive ever that comes out of literal NOWHERE, wastes two characters, and UNLIKE 3-3, doesn't even cause any character development. NO ONE EVEN ACKNOWLEDGES EITHER KIRUMI OR RYOMA AFTER THEY DIE! And unlike Kiyo, there's not a reason not to! They don't even talk about Kirumi with the fiction twist and how her entire motive was pointless! And speaking of, the Prime Minister twist is incredible dumb, it should've been a personal motive, and Kirumi and Ryoma desperatley needed more screen time. It pretty much shows everything wrong with V3, and IMO, it's easily the worst DR case.

...also Ryoma was my favorite V3 character. But the problem isn't Ryoma, it's Kirumi. She desperately needed more screentime.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Shuichi Saihara
Chances: 2%
I'm not too familiar with the Danganronpa series beyond some of the most populat characters, the premise, and most of the plot of Danganronpa 1, even if I don't remember it too much beyond the big plot points. I feel like Monokuma either with or without Junko by his side is the most likely candidate, as Monokuma is kinda like Heihachi in some ways. Though if Sakurai/Nintendo were to choose one of th protagonist over the mascot (like they did for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest), then I feel like they would most likely pick a bunch of protagonists for something like what was done for Hero if it's possible (warning, my lack of knowledge about Danganronpa doesn't let me know if it's possible or not, so if it's just not possible, then please let me know), and Shuichi would likely be in since he's pretty popular in the Danganronpa from what I know, though that's the unlikely option in my opinion. Otherwise, I think that a Dangaronpa character could happen, as it's a pretty popular series, especialy in Japan, and the developpers are Spike Chunsoft, who also made the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. Though Spike Chunsoft is also not as big or with a series as influencial as other Japanese video game companies like ArcSys or especialy Falcom, so I don't thin it's likely at all, even if still a bit possible.
Want: 40%
Ah, yes, my very akwardly silghtly above average rate for want, since I made 35% my neutral rating for want. I don't have much to say here other than Danganronpa is pretty cool from what I remember, good music, good writing, very cool character design including Shuichi who I just find to look very cool. Also a stage based on the court/classroom would be very nice to have in the game. But yeah, my lack of knowledge of most of Danganronpa makes so that I can't give him an high score, or in other words, much highter than slightly above average thanks to having a cool design and coming from a series where I liked the little of it that I saw in like, 2013 or 2014. Yeah, it really was a long time ago now that I think about it. Anyway, my paragraph for my want rating of Shuichi Saihara is now done, making so that this case is closed.

Nominations:
Xion as Sora's echo x10

Predictions:
SMT rep: 21.7%

amageish

Smash Master
Hooo boy.
While yes, 3-3 isn't great, it at least matters to the story and Korekiyo while not great as a culprit has a great breakdown and his motive is interesting, if disgusting. 3-2 has the dumbest motive ever that comes out of literal NOWHERE, wastes two characters, and UNLIKE 3-3, doesn't even cause any character development. NO ONE EVEN ACKNOWLEDGES EITHER KIRUMI OR RYOMA AFTER THEY DIE! And unlike Kiyo, there's not a reason not to! They don't even talk about Kirumi with the fiction twist and how her entire motive was pointless! And speaking of, the Prime Minister twist is incredible dumb, it should've been a personal motive, and Kirumi and Ryoma desperatley needed more screen time. It pretty much shows everything wrong with V3, and IMO, it's easily the worst DR case.

...also Ryoma was my favorite V3 character. But the problem isn't Ryoma, it's Kirumi. She desperately needed more screentime.
I... guess I'll defend this? At least a bit...

Kirumi's motive is... pretty well-foreshadowed, honestly? It's just mostly hidden in joke scenes, like a lot of DR motives. Even in her introduction she explicitly makes a comment about how the one time she refused a request was when she was asked to upset the power balance of a rival nation, or something of the like. It's definitely a big "Wait, what?" twist, but it's supported by a lot of small "Wait, what?" throwaway lines that led up to it.

Otherwise, I mostly just find the case forgettable - probably because it doesn't come back up again - but also because it's a repeat of DR1 Case 1 in a lot of ways. The motiviation provided is a gimmicky version of DR1's first motivation, the sportsperson is the victim again, and the killer is the kindhearted woman who snapped upon seeing her motive video. It's the "Oh how the pure have fallen" case, but since it is the second case after two people are already dead... it definitely feels like less of a major turning point and more of "DR1 but this time the motivation is EVERYONE IN JAPAN."

V3 kind of cheats at criticism though, as basically any complaint one can rally against it can be countered with "It's the 53rd season and the writers were out of ideas." This is kind of the justification used for a lot of the more absurd moments, which only really works if you like the final case's twists already...

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Watching Danganronpa playthroughs right now and dont want spoilers so I'll abstain

SMT content prediction - 15.6%

Noms
Stretchers x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Double abstain for today. My knowledge on the dangle rope is surface level at best, and I don't feel the need to deepen it.

Nominating Concept: A Bravely Default character x5.

Predicting a SMT rep to get around 21.93%.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I... guess I'll defend this? At least a bit...

Kirumi's motive is... pretty well-foreshadowed, honestly? It's just mostly hidden in joke scenes, like a lot of DR motives. Even in her introduction she explicitly makes a comment about how the one time she refused a request was when she was asked to upset the power balance of a rival nation, or something of the like. It's definitely a big "Wait, what?" twist, but it's supported by a lot of small "Wait, what?" throwaway lines that led up to it.

Otherwise, I mostly just find the case forgettable - probably because it doesn't come back up again - but also because it's a repeat of DR1 Case 1 in a lot of ways. The motiviation provided is a gimmicky version of DR1's first motivation, the sportsperson is the victim again, and the killer is the kindhearted woman who snapped upon seeing her motive video. It's the "Oh how the pure have fallen" case, but since it is the second case after two people are already dead... it definitely feels like less of a major turning point and more of "DR1 but this time the motivation is EVERYONE IN JAPAN."

V3 kind of cheats at criticism though, as basically any complaint one can rally against it can be countered with "It's the 53rd season and the writers were out of ideas." This is kind of the justification used for a lot of the more absurd moments, which only really works if you like the final case's twists already...
I'm still arguing for this case being awful, ESPECIALLY since
It's never acknowelged again. Every other DR case at least means something to the game. It affects the plot...except this one. Basically nothing would change if this case didn't happen, which makes it awful.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"This is the truth of the case!"

Chance: 1%

The fact that we are singling out this character is a spoiler. Smash has spoiled some stuff in the past, but I don't think any of those spoilers are as big as the one involving Shuichi. And Danganronpa prides itself on its twists as that is a major part of the series (With it being a visual novel). As for a Danganronpa character, I am not too confident on this happening. While Spike Chunsoft has a good relationship with Nintendo, Danganronpa has yet to appear on a Nintendo system and so far that precedent has not been broken yet. And even if we get a Danganronpa character, Monokuma would be high priority as he is the mascot and represents the series very well. Not to mention there are others characters like Makoto who is the OG protagonist and there are other major characters that can be picked too.

Want: 90%

While I would prefer Monokuma, I would be happy to get any Danganronpa characters at all. Danganronpa is one of my favorite game series. Shuichi is a really good character, for reasons that I can't get into because I forgot how to spoiler text and I'm too lazy to look it up. But I will say that Danganronpa V3 is my favorite of the trilogy because while it certainly does have its issues, I felt that it was the best at giving the most amount of characters development and attention (although that isn't the case for everyone in the game as people have discussed in spoilers). It also has the most interesting visuals and....the music. Omg the music. An awesome soundtrack with standouts like Panic Debate and Scrum Debate. Not to mention the returning tracks like Monokuma's Tutoring and Lesson. Overall, there is so much cool **** that Shuichi could bring with him and that will please me as a Danganronpa fan.

Edit: And I actually enjoyed the ending of V3. In fact, it's one of the most memorable endings I've ever experienced due to the nature of it.

Prediction: Shin Megami Tensei rep - 40%

Noms: Arthur x10

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know much about Danganronpa, but from how in-depth everyone's been, I think I can get a good picture of this guy. His biggest issue is the fact that he himself is a living, breathing spoiler in a narrative-driven game that hasn't been made an open secret by Spike Chunsoft, which is a unique and major pothole. Besides that, there's also competition from the main villain and series mascot Monokuma (Who's also Junko apparently), as well as various other Danganronpa protagonists. This guy seems pretty darn unlikely to me. Chance is 5% and want is 40%.

I predict 28.94% for SMT person. SMTV probably gave them a kick, but I think Joker and a lack of familiarity could hold them back.

Nomination: Klonoa x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hooo boy.

We talked about this over Discord, but the easiest way to fix 3-3 is a simple one.: have Kiyo kill Tenko but not Angie. Having the cast have to deal with the fact that someone out and murdered one of their friends and is still alive would be interesting to say the least.

3-2 on the other hand Ninja convinced me over discord of its flaws. I think it mainly stems from the fact that unlike in the other games, there is no real impact of this. We do not see how they fit into the group dynamic. There is no Mahiru, Mondo, or Peko emotional connection sort of thing. Maybe a bond with another character. Maybe something would have made this case a bit better.

I originally said there were 4 good cases, but there really are only 3. Case 1 is well written although I hate the twist as taking away having a female main character in a game that is not complete garbage like UDG. and choosing to kill her off is cool. I like it in concept. But man, I wish we still played as a girl. The fact of the matter is, while the idea of the main character being a killer is cool in concept, in execution it is ehh.

Case 3-4 is actually really good. You loathe Kokichi when halfway through the case he reveals the entire case, and it is crushing to know that Gonta is the killer unfortunately (tho lets be clear the buff character always dies). Case 3-5 is the best case in the franchise. Period. I love the idea of a complete gambit like it. It feels to me like a fully realized version of case 2-5. Unlike Case 2-5, it is more cohesive due to not having to rely on Nagito's luck. It honestly is a great case in terms of execution.

I wrote how I hated 3-6 in my post, but dear god I hate it so much. Tsumugi is the worst mastermind in the series. Having Kaede die for nothing is bad. The twist however, is what I really hate. To me, it reads as Kodaka complaining of how big Danganronpa got. It is complaining that it has become a franchise that is no longer just his artistic vision, and how it is a piece of fiction that people take too seriously. And I can't stand when writers use their platform to do that as a soapbox. I hate it in good pieces of writing. But when it is done bad, like in V3, it gets me mad. Like, very mad. Like, destroys the good will I have towards the franchise kind of bad. Though DR3 did its job there already...

Also in case anyone wants my worst Danganronpa characters, here ya go. I excluded UDG and DR3 from this, only the main games. Honorable mentions from those include Dangling Grandpa, the racist caricature, and Hagi Towa.

5. Teruteru
4. Angie
3. Hifumi
2. Akane
1. Tsumugi

I will say one positive thing though. Playing Among Us has made me realize that everyone else in a danganronpa game with the exception of 3-5 people is not a ******* moron. Playing with randos in Among us has shown me that if we all were in the same situation, we would make people like Yasuhiro or Kazuichi look like Nobel Peace Price recipients.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We talked about this over Discord, but the easiest way to fix 3-3 is a simple one.: have Kiyo kill Tenko but not Angie. Having the cast have to deal with the fact that someone out and murdered one of their friends and is still alive would be interesting to say the least.

3-2 on the other hand Ninja convinced me over discord of its flaws. I think it mainly stems from the fact that unlike in the other games, there is no real impact of this. We do not see how they fit into the group dynamic. There is no Mahiru, Mondo, or Peko emotional connection sort of thing. Maybe a bond with another character. Maybe something would have made this case a bit better.

I originally said there were 4 good cases, but there really are only 3. Case 1 is well written although I hate the twist as taking away having a female main character in a game that is not complete garbage like UDG. and choosing to kill her off is cool. I like it in concept. But man, I wish we still played as a girl. The fact of the matter is, while the idea of the main character being a killer is cool in concept, in execution it is ehh.

Case 3-4 is actually really good. You loathe Kokichi when halfway through the case he reveals the entire case, and it is crushing to know that Gonta is the killer unfortunately (tho lets be clear the buff character always dies). Case 3-5 is the best case in the franchise. Period. I love the idea of a complete gambit like it. It feels to me like a fully realized version of case 2-5. Unlike Case 2-5, it is more cohesive due to not having to rely on Nagito's luck. It honestly is a great case in terms of execution.

I wrote how I hated 3-6 in my post, but dear god I hate it so much. Tsumugi is the worst mastermind in the series. Having Kaede die for nothing is bad. The twist however, is what I really hate. To me, it reads as Kodaka complaining of how big Danganronpa got. It is complaining that it has become a franchise that is no longer just his artistic vision, and how it is a piece of fiction that people take too seriously. And I can't stand when writers use their platform to do that as a soapbox. I hate it in good pieces of writing. But when it is done bad, like in V3, it gets me mad. Like, very mad. Like, destroys the good will I have towards the franchise kind of bad. Though DR3 did its job there already...

Also in case anyone wants my worst Danganronpa characters, here ya go. I excluded UDG and DR3 from this, only the main games. Honorable mentions from those include Dangling Grandpa, the racist caricature, and Hagi Towa.

5. Teruteru
4. Angie
3. Hifumi
2. Akane
1. Tsumugi

I will say one positive thing though. Playing Among Us has made me realize that everyone else in a danganronpa game with the exception of 3-5 people is not a ******* moron. Playing with randos in Among us has shown me that if we all were in the same situation, we would make people like Yasuhiro or Kazuichi look like Nobel Peace Price recipients.
Don't insult Kazuichi like that! He's just trying to impress Miss Sonia!

I kinda agree about Yasuhiro, though...

amageish

Smash Master

5. Teruteru
4. Angie
3. Hifumi
2. Akane
1. Tsumugi

I feel like I mostly agree with you, minus one... main thing.

3-1 is a good twist to me, though obviously fridging Kaede is... unfortunate. Having a female protagonist would have been lovely and, moreover, it was nice to have a protagonist with an actual talent. Kaede's constant discussions of what songs she'd use to orchestrate the world around her was a wonderful quirk and really highlights how the luck/talentless/doesn't-believe-in-their-own-talent nature of the other protagonists are... kind of underwhelming in a world full of colourful characters.

3-2 strikes me as mostly boring as discussed above. 3-3 attempts to do the "Obviously suspicious person is actually the killer" the-twist-is-that-there-is-no-twist and that... yeah, doesn't exactly land well. 3-4/3-5 are good for all the reasons you discussed and more. 3-5 is especially impressive to me in how the actual reveal is pretty predictable, but the drama sells it nonetheless. Poor Maki...

3-6... I love it. Like, a lot. I don't see it as much of a complaint about the fanbase or its size primarily - certainly that's there, but it's not like the audience comments are easily readable when playing it for the first time - insomuch as it's a self-aware mockery of the formula of DR itself. Tsumugi is great to me because she's the villain who doesn't give a **** about if you have hope or despair, but just to let things keep going. I love her declaring herself the next Junko and new Ultimate Despair, only to panickedly put on Makoto cosplay and start yelling about hope when she realizes people aren't doing what she expects. Her entrance mocking DR2/UDG for both bringing Junko back is pretty hilarious too. The fact every character but Tsumugi has a deceased friend-of-ambiguously-romantic-status heightens the drama nicely and I absolutely love the moment of "I REJECT THAT HOPE" as the music shifts to Clair De Lune. It's chills-inducing and fantastic use of a fantastical piece of classical music.

Actually if we get DR content in Smash, then can we get Clair De Lune plz? Make it a rock version and claim in-universe that this is Ibuki's remix, as the original is called "Clair De Lune - K Akamatsu...

Granted, I may also be biased, as I've always felt Junko is a fairly middling villain. Impressive in the schemes she cooks up, but the idea of just "I'm really into despair" doesn't appeal to me as much as Tsumugi's "STOP IT; I HAVE A SHOW TO SELL, PEOPLE." So, I get why it's not a twist for everyone, but I don't know if they could have planned it better for me...

I do think it's hurt the franchise's future, as it's hard to go back to any sort of formula when the last game roasted it so hard, but they could probably find something other then hope v despair to theme the game around...

But, hey, when the chips are down, we can both agree DR3 is what truly ruins Danganronpa!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Shu-horned

Chance: 1%
Never say never, but I don't think Danganronpa's too likely. I thought Danganronpa was this close to becoming mainstream, but then it ended, so any possible growth got cut down. As it stands, it's kinda small fry. Spike Chunsoft has history but they're no Koei Tecmo or SNK where they'd get in because of that, nor are they super tight with Nintendo. In fact, Danganronpa has yet to grace Nintendo consoles despite not being technically advances at all. As visual novels go, I can certainly think one others with more impact and success. And even if they went for a DR, character, it'd likely be Monokuma.

And even if we don't get Monokuma, I just don't see us getting Shuichi. The fact that he's a protagonist is a spoiler, and choosing him as the series rep would really spoil that. So I think Kaede would be the chosen rep for V3. But I think it's much more likely that they'd go for Makoto if they want a human, he started it all and is still a major player in 2 and 3. Hell, if they don't mind spoilers, I think they'd go for Junko over Shuichi anyways. Even Komaru I see them going for over him, just because of moveset potential.

Want: 0%
Shuichi freaking sucks. Like, seriously, the twist that you were playing as the killer the whole time was amazing, and Kaede's execution broke my heart but did they have to kill off the best protagonist in the series and replace her with the worst? It doesn't help that Kaede was the only mainline protagonist who's female. And in her stead we get this boring, whiny kid whose shtick is a retread of stuff we've already seen so many times... Yeah, I didn't like Shuichi. To be fair, I didn't like the majority of the characters that DRV3 wanted me to like. But Shuichi's one of the characters I like the least in the series because he basically stands for wasted potential. If we somehow got a Danganronpa character and it was this guy, that'd be a major disappointment.

Noms: Jason & Sophia x10
SMT prediction: A healthy 44.61%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Klonoa x240
Moogle x235
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x220
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x200
Echo: Xion (Sora) x194
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x187
Concept: Deltarune content x186

200 - 151

Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x185
Zelda (BotW universe) x170
The Stretchers x170
Sakura Shinguji x166
Alex Mason x165
Billy Hatcher x165

150 - 101

[Rerate] Frisk x150
Amiya (Arknights) x140
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x131
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x120
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x105

100 - 51

Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Hades (Kid Icarus) x85
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x84
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Zero (Mega Man) x80
Fulgore x79
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x79
Boss: Ender Dragon x78
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Stage: Bowser's Castle x71
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Concept: Rocket League rep x70
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x70
Concept: A Bravely Default character x70
Giygas x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Ghirahim x50
Boss: Rayquaza x50
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x35

Under 25

Miriam x20
Hajime Hinata x20
Tetra x15
Echo: Coco (Crash) x10
Cynthia (Pokémon) x5
Yarn Yoshi x5
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5

Lu Bu cuts into the top seven, taking Content from currently unreleased game out and stealing sixth place from Deltarune content!

Neptune passes 100 noms.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. I don't have any strong opinions on Shuichi. That being said, I'd prefer Monokuma as the Danganronpa rep.

Nominations: Billy Hatcher x5

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Abstain
I don’t know much and it seems to be filled with spoilers... so research seems risky if I ever decide to play it.

Noms: Lu Bu x5
Predict: 21.8%

Last edited:

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
I missed Ezio?! Noooo!

Abstaining on Shuichi. Danganronpa is...interesting, but I don't feel that it'll fit into Smash.

Noms: Amiya x5

Predicting Concept: SMT rep to get 14% chance. I will say that since Persona is technically a spin-off of SMT, Joker's inclusion doesn't exactly brighten up the chances for a rep from the original franchise.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll have to abstain as the only character I'm even slightly familiar with is Junko and even then that's only second hand info. I don't have time for the research today either so...

Nominate: Lu Bu x 5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
SMT content

Chance 50 - Yep, gonna go high because I like the chances of a spirit event here. Don't think we're getting a playable fighter or anything like that but that or a mii costume doesn't feel too far out of reach. SMT feels like one of the big switch releases for next year so we'll probably get something Smash related to it.

Want 50 - Dont care at all either way really. No real connection to SMT and all I've played from anything related to the series is Persona 5.

Predictions
Klonoa - 5.32%

Noms:
Stretchers x5
And lets finally use my extra noms on Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x10

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD
Chance: 70%

SMT is the reason Persona even exists. With SMTV finally on the way…well, there’s no guarantee we’ll get an SMT rep. At most, I expect an SMTV Spirit Event.

That being said, that doesn’t mean I see it as only a Spirit Event. I just think that’s the safer bet.

Want: abstain
I don’t know enough about SMT to fairly judge. So for now, I’m satisfied with the ATLUS content we got from Persona. …Though I will say we should’ve gotten Jack Frost as a Spirit and a couple tracks from Nocturne.

Klonoa: 45%

Noms:
Sakura Shinguji x5

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Shin Megami Tensei Content?

Sorry, is this just any content in any form? Okay, if it's literally any content...

Chance: 95%. Jack Frost, the mascot of ATLUS as a company, is currently in Smash Bros in no form in spite of ATLUS having a playable character. Teddie and Morgana, the mascots of P4 and P5 in particular, both got Mii Costume hats, but Frost didn't. I can't see him having been excluded just 'cause. I think they saved him for something to promote SMTV.

ATLUS and Nintendo have a good relationship and SMTV is, crazily, getting a worldwide release. For those who don't follow ATLUS games, that never happens. Persona 5 Royal took an extra six months to come out in English and we're still waiting for ATLUS West to officially acknowledge the existence of Persona 5 Strikers, a game that has been out since February in Japan. So, they're going HAM in promotion of SMTV. Giving it a spirit event, maybe a couple Mii costumes, or, heck, making the protagonist a playable character all seem possible to me.

An actual character is definitely the least likely of these by far and I don't feel qualified to judge the odds yet, especially as we don't know how the SMTV protagonist will be fighting. Kind of hard to speculate on that with so little information... A summoner character in Smash would be an awesome new archetype though.

Want: 100%. ATLUS + Smash Bros = Happy Amageish nine times out of ten. I'd give a 100% to 13 Sentinels content; I'm giving sure as heck giving it to Shin Megami Tensei.

Predictions: Klonoa. Welcome back to everyone's favourite game show "How do we factor in new copyrights when rating Smash Bros character odds!". I'm predicting 20%.

Noms: Moogle x 5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Shin Megami Tensei Rep

Chance: 10% -
Nintendo definitely seemed keen on promoting hin Megami Tensei V during July's Partner Showcase, giving it the main event during the presentation. The franchise has always had strong Nintendo ties and it could've easily gotten the spot, whether with a protagonist or with the mascot Jack Frost, this franchise is the reason why an Atlas rep was likely chosen for Ultimate to begin with.

The problem is said Atlus rep that was chosen instead (even having a codename that references Jack Frost). Persona is a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei and Nintendo might feel it to be redundant to represent both franchises. The game definitely seems like a good idea for a spirit event, though!

Want: 3% - Nothing against the franchise itself, but I don't care much for it and having bith it AND Persona wouldn't be very fun (and the last thing we need is a repeat of the obnoxious entotlement and self righteousness Joker's inclusion caused). If anything, though, it deserved the Smash spot more, and if I were to choose we'd have Shin Megami Tensei in Smash INSTEAD of Persona.

Nominations:
Don-chan x10

Predictions:
Klonoa - 5.28% - I'm not expecting a ton of confidence but it really depends on how much confidence people have in the Remaster. A trademark that was in the same group (Mr. Driller Drilland) got released a few months ago and Namco seems to want to continue marketing these remasters, given them porting Katamari Damacy Reroll to Xbox and Playstation recently. So it's pretty much a coin toss.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
SMT Rep
Shin Megami Tensei is a big JRPG, no doubt about it. The upcoming SMTV is a plus. That being said, Joker's existence puts it in a weird spot. While they're basically separate series by now, they're still part of the greater MegaTen franchise. It all depends on if Nintendo and/or Atlus themselves considers them separate; Since I don't work at either company, I'll just give 'em a 50% chance. 40% for want, due to lack of familiarity with the franchise.

I predict Klonoa to get an 10.52%. There's probably gonna be a couple high-ballers, but overall I'm not very confident in his ratings, nor am I confident in his actual chances-And I'm the guy who's been pushing him so much in the first place.

That being said, be prepared for a big writeup on why I love the little guy so much. If I can't get the chances to budge, I'll at least bump the want scores up.

Nominate Adol Christin x5. I'll be leaving RTC for the most part after Klonoa, so someone take up the noms for Adol in my place, please.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
SMT content

Chance 50 - Yep, gonna go high because I like the chances of a spirit event here. Don't think we're getting a playable fighter or anything like that but that or a mii costume doesn't feel too far out of reach. SMT feels like one of the big switch releases for next year so we'll probably get something Smash related to it.

Want 50 - Dont care at all either way really. No real connection to SMT and all I've played from anything related to the series is Persona 5. Speaking of Persona id be very surprised if we get multiple characters from the same series here and since

Predictions
Klonoa - 5.32%

Noms:
Stretchers x5
And lets finally use my extra noms on Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x10
Lets do this again since i didn't know this was playable fighters only.

Chance 10 - Dont think so but maybe. SMT feels like its been passed up by its own spin off in Persona as of late. Speaking of Persona, I think Jokers inclusion might hurt SMT a bit. Don't think they'd be the same but I think Nintendo might ask for someone from a different series first still. Also think SMT won't end up as a potential "shill" pick since the game is just barely too early for that most likely and it's a 3rd party game. However the series is still somewhat popular and it owned by Sega who feels kinda lacking in major Smash contenders if you're not including Sonic characters so there's some paths here. I just don't expect it.

Everything else stays the same from my last post

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Shine Megamind Tonsil

Chance: 45%

Yep, I'm going there. First off, I don't think having Persona 5 content already in the game doesn't hurt SMT's chances much. While they are part of the same franchise, they are still different and the fact that Jack Frost has not even gotten any representation is a big deal. SMT is still popular in Japan and has a following in the west. And in the first partner showcase, SMT got quite a bit of attention with not just a new game, but also a remaster too. To me, it just makes sense that SMT would get a character. It has a long history dating back to 1992 (Or even 1987 if you consider Digital Devil Story) and many of the games are on Nintendo systems. Not to mention it seems like that the SMT games will be some of the bigger games for 2021 so overall Nintendo has a lot of incentive to add a character from this series.

But where I take off points is, well I have a feeling that this will be another case where a highly speculated game suddenly gets a spirit event. There have been so many examples recently like Akira, Ring Fit Trainer and Paper Mario where they are highly speculated and then suddenly they get the spirit treatment. And this could easily happen with SMT too. Plus when it comes to other Sega IPs, Puyo Puyo has been getting a lot of love too and Yakuza is still going strong.

Want: Abstain

Haven't tried out a SMT game yet. I'm interested in the series, but considering I still haven't played much of Persona 5 that probably will not be for a while.

Prediction: Klonoa - 6% (I'm right there with you SharkLord. Looking forward to sharing the passion for the dream traveler)

Noms: Arthur x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Diabolus ex machina

Chance: 37%

Alright, full disclosure time: I'm a huge SMT fan and I've been anticipating this day, probably even more than the ones I've nominated. So here goes my rant.

Shin Megami Tensei's history is long and lasting. Its origins actually stem from the Digital Devil Story series of books. A videogame (actually two, but we'll come back to this later) was made by Atlus, with the input of the writer of the novels and taking the name of the first one - Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei. I haven't read the books, but from my research I gathered that the plot is an adaptation of two of them, making this a rare case of videogames adapted from literature (like The Witcher, Parasite Eve, and I guess Castlevania).

Now, remember what I said about there actually being two videogames? Well, one of them, for PC was an unremarkable action RPG. But the Famicom version? That's a dungeon crawling RPG, where you recruit demons to your cause, and fight alongside them as party members. That's right, Megami Tensei pioneered monster catching as a mechanic, a decade before Pokémon (technically Dragon Quest V did monster catching first, but it didn't stick around. Megami Tensei was the first franchise to build itself around this mechanic). The Famicom version was a hit, leading to a sequel (DDS: MTII). After that came the third game, Shin Megami Tensei.

Some consider Shin Megami Tensei to be a spin-off of the main Megami Tensei games. Personally, I view it as a sequel, much like how Metal Gear Solid is just the sequel to Metal Gear 1 & 2 (the similarity even extends to Shin Megami Tensei working as a pseudo remake of Megami Tensei II, just like MGS and Metal Gear 2). Either way, Shin Megami Tensei codified the tropes that would define the franchise: a moral conflict between Law and Chaos, with YHVH and Lucifer as the opposing forces, a post-apocalyptic setting (Tokyo in particular), demon fusing, the works. It released for the Super Famicom in 1992. Sequel Shin Megami Tensei II and spin-off Shin Megami Tensei If followed later, both for the same console. SMT If is notable for its high school setting and characters, which spawned the idea for the Persona games (in fact the female protagonist from If is featured in P3, implying the two series are canon to each other).

After a hiatus mostly filled by the various spinoff franchises, SMT made a comeback with mediocre and forgotten side game SMT Nine, and also a little game called Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Nocturne was the first foray of the main series into the West, and an attempt to widen the series' appeal, and by all accounts it was a success. It got great reviews, sold well both in Japan and outside, Dante was in it, all the works. That was the series' big break, and ironically after years of loyalty to Nintendo's systems it was on the PS2. After Nocturne came SMT Imagine, an MMO; but more importantly, the next three mainline entries in the series, Strange Journey, IV and Apocalypse, were all made for and exclusive to Nintendo handhelds. As will be Shin Megami Tensei V, which was announced alongside the Switch and whose sole other piece of marketing was on a Nintendo Direct (as another thing to note, with Nocturne's remaster being on the Switch, this means every mainline game is on Nintendo systems).

So the first thing I want to point out is how Nintendo the series is. It started on Nintendo, was Nintendo exclusive for most of its run. And whilst Persona has been PlayStation exclusive for a long while now, Shin Megami Tensei finds itself as the Nintendo counterpart of its younger sibling. So the series has both a long history with Nintendo and a current relationship and an upcoming game to promote. Hmm, why does this sound familiar? (Hint: it rhymes with Flagon Chest)

The next thing I want to point out is how influential and iconic it is. Without mincing words, it's Pokemon before Pokémon. Now of course, I'm not going to go so far as to credit it for everything Pokémon did, the two series differ greatly and most of Pokémon's strengths are its own, but still, SMT proved it could work and succeed. Even aside from the monster catching element, many of its gameplay staples like negotiating with enemies, demon/monster fusing, and moral alignments have found their way to other games, as has its pioneering use of modern day Tokyo as a setting. Many of the characters and demons from the series have become iconic, the most famous example being Jack Frost, who became Atlus' mascot.

With all this said, I think Shin Megami Tensei has what it takes to get a playable character in Smash. You may point out that Joker, from Persona, kills SMT's chances. I'll acknowledge that Persona getting a fighter means that a character from its main series would be redundant in some respects, and it's not like Sega's hurting for other franchises that could get the nod. However, I'll argue that there's still room for both. For one, Joker plays nothing like a Shin Megami Tensei character - or, in fact, like Joker himself - so there's still room for a true SMT moveset in Smash. And also, the reasons for inclusion would be different. Joker's the iconic protagonist of a recent PlayStation game which won awards, sold a ton, and broke into the mainstream. In contrast, a hypothetical SMT rep wouldn't stand for any single character or game, but rather a long legacy of influential and acclaimed titles, a reward for Nintendo loyalty, and a dash of promotion. Music, stages, spirits, none of them are from SMT, so there isn't any overlap in that regard. All in all, Joker's the biggest barrier for this series, but the road to Smash is clear.

Now, how would a character from this series play? Well, the majority of protagonists in SMT use swords and guns, so that would probably feature in any moveset (even Demi-fiend, who doesn't wield any weapons, can use sword- and gun-like skills with his Magatama). But of course, the main hook of the series is getting demons to do your bidding. That could take many forms, such as conjuring up different demons for individual attacks, to having some kind of special system to pick between several potential summons, to an outright stance switch where you can pick a demon to fight alongside you (the latter's probably unrealistic for DLC though). Whatever the case, it's a perfect fit for a summoner-type moveset, and given it's the series that popularized using monsters as party members it's very fitting. I also read someone's suggestion of implementing the alignment system, where you schew towards Law or Chaos as the battle goes and that affects your stats or the moves at your disposal. I don't know how this would be implemented specifically, but it's too cool not to mention.

Now, who could be the rep chosen? There's several ways they could go.

The easiest call is probably Demi-fiend. He's the most iconic protagonist, from what's probably the most successful game in the franchise. With the port, he has relevance on his side as well. The only point against him is that if they want to emphasize SMT's history with Nintendo, picking the guy from the one game that didn't debut on a Nintendo console is probably the worst choice. Demi-fiend stands out from the other protagonists in terms of design and abilities, so if he got in he could have a really tailor-made movese making use of Nocturne's specific mechanics. Nocturne's also my least favorite game in the series so he's the pick that would let me down the most.

The guy from V: we know nearly nothing about SMTV except the way its protagonist looks. Still, it's a Nintendo exclusive title that's up for release in 2021, so we could totally be looking at another Luminary.

Flynn: The samurai protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei IV, he has recency and Nintendo presence on his side. SMTIV is the most successful title after III, and so it strikes a good balance of being popular, having Western familiarity, and being on Nintendo. I guess you could say he's the Terra or Lloyd of Shin Megami Tensei.

Strange Journey guy: no way he gets in solo, but I love Strange Journey and this is easily the best protagonist design imo. Just wanted to mention that.

Nanashi: technically the most recent protagonist, from Apocalypse, the sequel to IV. But recency's about to abandon him, and even then being from a sequel rather than a full on new mainline title would make him akin to picking, like, Yuna.

The first two protagonists are probably not getting picked, they're pretty old and not too iconic or popular. I guess there's an argument to be made that they'll pick the first one a la Marth, but I don't see it.

Could there be a Hero situation where several characters share a moveset? Yeah, totally. Moveset is not an issue, especially if they focus solely on the summoning aspect to the detriment of sword and gunplay. Personality wise, they're all silent and serious; there are differences but nothing that would make them sharing animations weird or out of character. The only caveats are that Demi-fiend would need a different idle animation if the others had their swords out (there are workarounds for this, but if they can't figure it out they won't do it, Demi-fiend and Flynn are the two protagonists that would 100% be in a Hero situation); and that Demi-fiend and Nanashi don't use the series' trademark COMP (a wrist-worn terminal used to summon demons through a computer program – it's an awesome franchise you guys), so that would also require alternate animations. Personally I think this is the best case scenario as Demi-fiend and Nocturne stray from several of the series' iconic elements, so a purely Nocturne-focused representation would miss out on many of those elements – but at the same time, you can't not have Nocturne, so this is a good compromise. If I had to bet on 4 characters to feature in a Hero-style thing, it would probably be the protagonists of I, II, III and IV, so Aleph, Flynn, Demi-fiend, and the guy from I. The guy from I is probably the one that could be replaced by the one from V, the one from Strange Journey (yay!) or Nanashi, as they have more unique designs, but being from the first game could help land him the spot (then again, it didn't matter for Dragon Quest, so maybe it's Strange Journey time babyyy)

We know they can go the Hero route, but will they? To put it bluntly, it depends on whether they really want to promote V, either by featuring its protagonist or the series' legacy as a selling point. If they do, then yeah, we'll get the catch-all moveset, but if they don't, it's Demi-fiend's spot to lose (unless they go Chaotic Evil and just pick the V protagonist, solo - or unless I possess Sakurai for a day, and we get Strange Journey man).

Want: 90%
I can't explain why I like this franchise so much. It's not something you'd expect me to like; I'm a very religious person, so one would think that a game in which God is kinda the bad guy would rub me the wrong way. But its philosophical and moral depth and nuance, its amazing characters and settings, its absurdly inventive, fun and engaging mechanics, that **** just draws you in. The games draw from tons of cool stuff, from Nietzsche to Lovecraft to the Old Testament, they don't shy away from showing and addressing shocking and controversial themes and issues. They're just wholly unique and one of a kind. Bottom line is even if it doesn't end up with a fighter in Smash, you should still play V when it comes out. You'll probably enjoy it, and if you don't at least you'll have helped us poor SMT fans get a sequel.

Nominations: Jason and SOPHIA x10
Prediction: oh **** I have to do the new schedule

Nominate Adol Christin x5. I'll be leaving RTC for the most part after Klonoa, so someone take up the noms for Adol in my place, please.
I'll take up the task, my Lord.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Shin Megami Tensei Rep, but, like, Playable One

Chance: 22%. There isn't much to be said that GoodGrief didn't already say. SMT is a very influential franchise with a long legacy and a lot of characters to choose from. It's also currently being set-up for what is likely going to be its most high-profile western release in terms of attention its been given. Things could really line up for it.

I don't think Joker hurts their odds that much either, really - unless they are literally doing singular "company reps," but we haven't had Sakurai/Nintendo state anything to indicate that is the case. I'd say it's like representing both Bravely Default and Final Fantasy in Smash - sure, there is a clear through-line between the two IPs, but it's not like one renders the other obsolete. They do do different things for different audiences, with some overlap. They would have different mechanics in Smash Bros.

I'm unsure who it would be, but I do think they'd do a hero situation if SMTV protagonist allows for it... but also we know nothing about them. Demi-Fiend and Flynn are both obligatory. Though, heck, if they wanted to go completely insane, then this franchise could easily provide 8 characters with similar-enough movesets to be rolled into one for Smash. SMT1/2/3/IV/IV-A/V/If/SJ fills all the slots. Granted, that would be very expensive and probably objectively not worth doing...

Want: 100%, as stated above. I request Jack Frost and Alice appear in the moveset... For the record, I probably wouldn't give a 100% for a playable 13 Sentinels rep... Though I would take Iori Fuyusaka if she somehow happened...

Predictions: 20%.
Noms: Stingray Mii Costume x 5

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
SMT Rep

Chance: 30%. With a new game coming out soon, a rep would make a decent chance for a promotional rep. Also given how popular that franchise is, a rep would help promote the franchise more and perhaps could get more people interested in this franchise.

Want: 50%. I think a rep from that franchise would be a decent idea. A rep would be fun to play as, but the one question is who? Over then that, I’m still familiarizing with that franchise, but otherwise it would be a decent idea.

Prediction: Kloana (15%)

Noms: 5 for Concept: Second F-Zero Rep

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So yesterday I forgot to point out that it was the last day to affect the top seven. Oops. I'm still rusty from not making schedules for so long, so I hope this isn't catching anyone off-guard. With that said...

THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

Day 509: Klonoa (Klonoa)
Day 510: Moogle (Final Fantasy)
Day 511: Prince of All Cosmos (Katamari)
Day 512: Echo: Xion (Sora)
Day 513: Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Day 514: Lu Bu (Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors)
Day 515: Concept: Deltarune content

Echo: Xion passed the Monster Hunter at the last second! It was a pretty tight race in this top seven, but in the end that was the only surprise.

The new top seven consists of Content from currently unreleased game, Zelda, The Stretchers, Sakura Shinguji, Billy Hatcher, Alex Mason, and Frisk.

Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x185
Zelda (BotW universe) x175
The Stretchers x175
Sakura Shinguji x170
Billy Hatcher x170
Alex Mason x165
[Rerate] Frisk x150

150 - 101

Amiya (Arknights) x145
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x131
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x130
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x110

100 - 51

Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Hades (Kid Icarus) x85
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x84
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x84
Boss: Ender Dragon x83
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Zero (Mega Man) x80
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Concept: A Bravely Default character x75
Stage: Bowser's Castle x71
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Concept: Rocket League rep x70
Giygas x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Ghirahim x50
Boss: Rayquaza x50
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x40
Miriam x25
Hajime Hinata x25

Under 25

Echo: Coco (Crash) x20
Tetra x15
Cynthia (Pokémon) x5
Yarn Yoshi x5
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5

Miriam and Hajime Hinata both reach 25 noms.

Perkilator Perkilator amageish amageish DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire You guys might want to edit your noms for today.

By the way, on behalf of any potential Danganronpa players who had the surprises preserved for them, I'd like to thank everyone for tagging spoilers yesterday. For other characters I get why it might be cumbersome to spoilertag important aspects of discussion, but with mystery games I think preserving the mystery is akin to preserving the gameplay too. So thank you!

Top Bottom