• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Saki
Chance: 5%

Not impossible, spirits are upgradeable officially now and he's lost his assist trophy status.

That said it's been a long time since Sin and Punishment got a game and it does feel a little like it's fallen off Nintendo's radar. Unlike Golden Sun I also don't hear much of a push to revive Sin and Punishment.

Want: 55%
I really enjoyed Sin and Punishment back on the Wii, and felt the IP had more to offer before it was prematurely ended. I would very much like to see Sin and Punishment get revived as an IP though as I personally quite enjoy rail shooters.

Whilst I wouldn't be disappointed to see Saki at current, I also don't have a big hankering to see them playable in Smash due to their relatively small success.

There are a few Nintendo names I'd rather see...two of whom are being rated tomorrow.

Abstaining on Ray. I just don't have any experience with Custom Robo at all outside Ray's smash appearances.
Honestly I thought Custom Robo's license had expired a while back and they hadn't renewed it which goes to show the attention I've paid to the series...whoops!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Saki and Ray

Abstain. I don't know much about these two and I'm not in the mood for researching. But I want to say 2 things. One, For the longest time I thought Saki was a girl. Like, I can't be the only one to think that right? Judging by his spirit he just looks straight up like a girl to me. So I was genuinely shocked when I found out he wasn't a girl. Even looking up images on Google it's easy to mistake him for a girl.

And two, again I don't know much about Ray but he looks cool and would probably be the closest thing to having Gundam in Smash.

Predictions:
Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee - 40% for both

Noms: Ezio x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A person of color x160
Tidus x135
Moogle x130
The Stretchers x120
Nate Adams x120
D.Va x115
Alex Mason x115

150 - 101

Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x106

100 - 51

Shuichi Saihara x100
[Rerate] Frisk x95
Red (Angry Birds) x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Proto Man x75
[Rerate] Ezio x75
Fulgore x74
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x70
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x70
Boss: Ender Dragon x63
Echo: Xion (Sora) x60
Concept: More ATs as one new item x60
Sakura Shinguji x55
The Terrarian x55
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x55

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x50
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x50
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x45
Billy Hatcher x45
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x44
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x40
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x39
Stage: Bowser's Castle x38
Gooigi x37
Giygas x35
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x34
Urbosa x30
Riptor x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
Concept: Deltarune content x25
The Bard (Wandersong) x25
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x25

Under 25

Concept: Returning stages x24
Jin Sakai x20
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x20
Magolor x17
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Lora and Jin x15
[Rerate] Maxwell x15
Klonoa x15
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x15
Boss: Rayquaza x14
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Concept: Rocket League rep x10
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x10
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x10
Cynthia x10
Yoshimitsu x10
Chell x8
Taranza x6
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Echo (Olimar) x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
John Marston x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Zero (Mega Man) x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Mii Costume: Jacket x2

Nate Adams ghosts Alex Mason and D.Va, leaving them tied in sixth place while he battles The Stretchers for fourth.

The Terrarian and Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) dig past 50 noms.

Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party reaches 25 noms.

Prince of All Cosmos rolls into the nominations list, with a Katamari made of 10 noms.

DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 People confusing Saki for a girl is a meme at this point, I think there was even a joke about it in the Brawl Dojo.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be abstaining on want for both, because I'm absolutely clueless about Sin and Punishment and the last time I touched the Custom Robo series was a LONG time ago, But for chance, I can give a solid rating and reasoning why. And that is...

Chance rating for both: oof (0%)

Yeah, probably not happening. Sin and Punishment and Custom Robo are both series that Nintendo just honestly seem to be done with. Didn't Nintendo drop the Custom Robo trademark? Combined with the lack of any real demand and the fact that they got demoted from ATs to Spirits means they're probably done for. The series themselves are basically dead so there's that as well. I'd argue their tenures as Assist Trophies but them being conspicuously missing really does not do them any favours.

Also, if Isaac (Golden Sun), Shadow The Hedgehog and FREAKING WALUIGI couldn't do it with the demand for them, then really, what chance DO Saki and the RAY have?

Noms: Terrarian x5

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
At least we know Lucas and Mewtwo were added back for the fans. This one? No way. No amount of "they didn't plan" will justify back-peddling. It's scummy they had to go back on a design decision they made at launch just for the sake of some DLC, and yes, that statement does go for Lucas and Mewtwo as well.

You say that like wanting to preserve a product's integrity is a bad thing. Sakurai should stay true to what he made and what he made was a Spirit.
Super late to this yeah, but as someone who was leaning toward the Spirits holding back Fighters scenario for a while I have this to say:
Any and all attempts of "narrative integrity" involving Spirits died in the WoL Story Mode where you could fight Spirit possessed puppets based on Kirby despite the opening cinematic showing him to be the only character to not get captured.

We are in the final round of DLC, the unexpected is to be expected now.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Saki

Chance: 10%. It is honestly surprising that he is not an assist Trophy in Ultimate, and while he may be a spirit, his chance is not null. Of course there are many characters that would get in over Saki, but it is not impossible.

Want: 50%. He would be sun to play as, and I can see him fight alongside Samus and Megaman, amount others. While he may not be my most Wanted, his inclusion would help give his game franchise a chance.

Ray

Chance: 10%. He was once an assist Trophy, but only in Brawl, making his case surprising. Since spirits don't discomfirm fighters, his inclusion could be higher, but his franchise is not the most well known.

Want: 50%. He would be a fun character to play as, and I can see him partnering with Megaman and R.O.B. Overall, just like Saki, Ray's inclusion would help give his franchise a chance.

Prediction: Dixie Kong (15%) and Bandanna Dee (25%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Saki

Chance: 10%. It is honestly surprising that he is not an assist Trophy in Ultimate, and while he may be a spirit, his chance is not null. Of course there are many characters that would get in over Saki, but it is not impossible.

Want: 50%. He would be sun to play as, and I can see him fight alongside Samus and Megaman, amount others. While he may not be my most Wanted, his inclusion would help give his game franchise a chance.

Ray

Chance: 10%. He was once an assist Trophy, but only in Brawl, making his case surprising. Since spirits don't discomfirm fighters, his inclusion could be higher, but his franchise is not the most well known.

Want: 50%. He would be a fun character to play as, and I can see him partnering with Megaman and R.O.B. Overall, just like Saki, Ray's inclusion would help give his franchise a chance.

Prediction: Dixie Kong (15%) and Bandanna Dee (25%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon
HERE WE GO WITH THE TENS AND FIFTIES AGAIN

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Saki
Chance 0%
Want 20%
Another duo I'm not sure why we're rating. I get that they're both former assist trophies, but did Min Min really warrant them being t
Rerated, being a spirit was the least of their problems. They come from a franchise Nintendo just doesn't care about anymore, they don't even have music in Smash. I just don't see them putting the effort to make them an assist trophy.

Ray MK III
Chance 0%
Want 19%
Another duo I'm not sure why we're rating. I get that they're both former assist trophies, but did Min Min really warrant them being t
Rerated, being a spirit was the least of their problems. They come from a franchise Nintendo just doesn't care about anymore, they don't even have music in Smash. I just don't see them putting the effort to make them an assist trophy.

Nominate
Content from currently unreleased game x5

Prediction 40% for both

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This rating is sponsored by Raycon!
. . .This is the best one I got, sorry.

Chance: 0%
Poor guy - hasn't even been an Assist Trophy since Brawl. Sure, having received a Mii costume in Ultimate shows that he's not entirely forgotten, but between a lack of fan demand and a series that has been pretty dead for quite a while, I don't see him happening any time soon. Sorry!

Want: Abstain.
Not familiar enough with Custom Robo. So I won't rate want.

The long lost brother of Sari

Chance: 0%
This one's in a very similar boat to Ray. The one difference here is that Saki got to be an Assist Trophy for two games before being dropped. . . but he got dropped nonetheless. While it's worth noting that his series is a minor success story for Smash's marketing potential, I remember hearing that both his N64 game being releases on the Wii VC and that game getting a sequel all stem from his Assist Trophy appearance in Brawl, and the interest sparked by that. But like with Ray, modern-day interest and relevance pretty much kills his chances for Ultimate DLC.

Want: Abstain.
Second verse, same as the frist. Not familiar enough with Sin & Punishment to give a want rating. I've seen a Let's Play of the original game once and know that one of the bosses there is literally the Earth (or some sorta copy of it), but that's about it.

Nominating: Concept: A person of colour x5.

Predicting Dixie Kong to get around 42.56%.
Predicting Bandana Waddle Dee to get around 37.92%.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
HERE WE GO WITH THE TENS AND FIFTIES AGAIN
I'm pretty sure that's his "average" mark. "Don't really want him, don't really hate him => 50% want, happy middle". When he felt more confident, he did change his scores. The scaling is just different from ours.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Ray....................Mark III

Chance: 1%

He's a video game character.................who has been forgotten by Nintendo up to the point that they didn't renew the trademark for the series. I mean he's no longer an AT but instead a Mii Costume and Spirit.

DUDE LOOKS LIKE A LADY!

Chance: 1%

Same as Ray, except for the whole trademark thing. It's sad these 2 have been left out, and if Isaac can't even make the jump to playable, it's fair to say these 2 are doomed.

Want for both: 80%

Which is a shame. Despite my lack of interest for these franchises, i can tell these franchises DESERVE a second chance in the world of gaming, especially Ray, and these 2 would make for amazing newcomers in Smash, better than the 27th Fire Emblem or Pokémon newcomer, or some random ass third party that has no relation to Nintendo (yeah im old fashioned) hell i would take them over a ton of popular DLC choices right now.

Granted, i may be overrating them out of pity, but still. At least i can hope we see their franchises return someday.

Noms:
Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed X5

EDIT: I got rekt'd by Speed Weed Speed Weed , ignore the Trademark thing.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't mean to slightly derail the thread, but I'm just really curious.

BowserKing BowserKing it would be nice if you could maybe explain your scale. Did Ninjaed explain it correctly and what's your reasoning behind your many tens? I don't mean to single you out and this is not me wanting to attack you or anything. I'm genuinely curious because you haven't responded directly to anyone in this thread but you have participated in conversations in other parts of Smashboards so it's safe to assume you are not a bot.

I'm not saying you have to respond to this, but some transparency would be nice. I don't want to intimidate you or make you nervous, I just want to encourage you to be more vocal and defend your points better. You have your opinions and they are valid, but if you don't make yourself clear enough, people will misunderstand you as we've seen before.

If I'm going too far, please let me know.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
alright since people seem to be bringing up the trademark again, i figure imma have to clear it up for a second time

basically, the trademark does not refer to the IP itself. let me explain:

first of all, the trademark (as shown here: https://trademarks.justia.com/789/76/custom-78976078.html) was filed in 2003. but the custom robo series goes farther back to 1999. well then, what is that trademark for? it actually refers to custom robo battle evolution, an installment in the custom robo series that in the us was simply titled, you guessed it, custom robo.

now the trademark actually concerns the technology used in the game, mainly the discs since it was a gamecube game. also worth noting that this was the only custom robo game for the gamecube. other examples of stuff like this include the tech trademarks for punch-out arcade (which expired in 2005) and for donkey kong 3 on the arcades (which expired in '91). and one last thing: compare the trademark (linked above and that once again refers to the tech used in the gamecube game specifically) to this zelda trademark, which afaik DOES refer to the legend of zelda ip itself: https://trademarks.justia.com/757/06/zelda-75706301.html

basically, the trademark that expired actually referred to a specific installment of the custom robo series, and didn't even refer to the game itself, but rather the tech used in it, like the discs since it's a gamecube game. since nintendo has returned to cartridges, there was no reason to keep that specific trademark around. while ray's chances for ultimate still aren't looking very good, custom robo does, in fact, remain within nintendo's hands.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
alright since people seem to be bringing up the trademark again, i figure imma have to clear it up for a second time

basically, the trademark does not refer to the IP itself. let me explain:

first of all, the trademark (as shown here: https://trademarks.justia.com/789/76/custom-78976078.html) was filed in 2003. but the custom robo series goes farther back to 1999. well then, what is that trademark for? it actually refers to custom robo battle evolution, an installment in the custom robo series that in the us was simply titled, you guessed it, custom robo.

now the trademark actually concerns the technology used in the game, mainly the discs since it was a gamecube game. also worth noting that this was the only custom robo game for the gamecube. other examples of stuff like this include the tech trademarks for punch-out arcade (which expired in 2005) and for donkey kong 3 on the arcades (which expired in '91). and one last thing: compare the trademark (linked above and that once again refers to the tech used in the gamecube game specifically) to this zelda trademark, which afaik DOES refer to the legend of zelda ip itself: https://trademarks.justia.com/757/06/zelda-75706301.html

basically, the trademark that expired actually referred to a specific installment of the custom robo series, and didn't even refer to the game itself, but rather the tech used in it, like the discs since it's a gamecube game. since nintendo has returned to cartridges, there was no reason to keep that specific trademark around. while ray's chances for ultimate still aren't looking very good, custom robo does, in fact, remain within nintendo's hands.
**** like this proves people just take claims for granted and dont read up on stuff enough.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think this needs to be clarified since there's a general rule against misinformed statements, but sentences that refer to Nintendo abandoning the Custom Robo trademark won't be counted. It's been stated twice that that's not the case.

Dante
41.62% Chance - 58.36% Want
First time we rated him he got 0.08% chance and 54.79% want. This was back when he was disconfirmed both by producer and director. Last time we rated him he got 49.38% chance and 64.23% want. By then, the producer's statement was quite outdated and the director's were rendered null by way of DMC 1-3 ports. Since then he's dropped in chance - could be that more people expect a more first-party oriented Pass after Min Min's release instead of a repeat of the previous one. Either way, just the fact that we've rated him relatively few times (compared to like 8 ratings for some characters) shows how new he is to speculation.
Winner of predictions was Calamitas Calamitas with a near-exact 41.63% So close! You almost nailed it, so you still get 10 extra noms.

Phoenix Wright
44.13% Chance - 74.69% Want
First time we rated him he got 31.91% chance and 61.84% want. This was in the post-Joker days, so I imagine that people were really discarding Nintendo connection those days - plus Resident Evil was still in play. Second time we rated him he got 45.64% chance and 67.89% want. I think that rerating happened because he was voted as one of the most underrated post-E3 2019. Resident Evil was still in play, but the feeling that a Capcom rep was inevitable boosted both their chances. Last time we rated him he got 43.94% chance and 70.91% want. This was after Byleth, with RE out of the equation and Dante in to take its place - seems like Phoenix will always be the underdog. Either way, he's seen as likely as he was a year ago, but what surprises me is how he's constantly rising in want. Over a third of his want scores were 100%, which is pretty impressive (and it makes me quite happy).
Winners of predictions were Jomosensual Jomosensual Sari Sari and Ninjaed Ninjaed with a precise 45.00%
To my surprise, Phoenix topped Dante in chance. Talk about a turnabout! He's also the second most wanted character overall, and the current winner, Crash, is getting rerated soon. This will be a showdown to pay attention to.

Ryu Hayabusa
50.07% Chance - 53.13% Want
First time we rated him he got 46.95% chance and 66.50% want. This was in the days of Doomabusa, self-explanatory. When rerated after E3 (and, crucially, after FP2 was Hero and not just Erdrick and FP3 were the bear and bird instead of the blocky miner), his scores fell to 44.00% chance and 57.03% want. Not a huge drop, as the leak was still seen as believable. But here's where it gets interesting. His last rating was after Byleth, and yet he rose noticeably. 59.48% chance and 64.32% want. No leaks to back him, and he still pulled that off. I would attribute it to the common notion that he just makes too much sense as a pick - the leak didn't make him plausible, he made the leak believable. And that brings us to today, with both scores down. Honestly? Only clue I got is the possibility of a first party oriented Pass cannibalized some of his hype, but otherwise, no clue.
Winner of predictions was DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 5.00%
Ryu loses his spot as the likeliest character, with the Bandicoot taking that spot. Can Crash be beat? We'll see when his day comes!

Shantae
24.16% Chance - 58.73% Want
First time we rated her she got 7.17% chance and 48.96% want. This was before release (but after the final Direct, obviously), and so her Spirit was seen as a killing blow. Second time we rated her she got 10.25% chance and 44.94% want. This was after E3, and while many had warmed to the possibility of Spirit promotions by then, the indie status still hurt all the contenders. Last time we rated her she got 10.89% chance and 54.28% want. This was after Byleth, but more importantly to Shantae after Sans and Cuphead got in... as Mii Costumes - clearly the competition being out of the way was offset by the perception of a ceiling for indies. As for now? Spirits being on the table did wonders for her chances, or at least her dedicated fanbase's confidence in them. Want is constant, which shows there's an undying support for this half-genie.
Winner of predictions was Calamitas Calamitas with 23.53%

13.50% Chance - 53.26% Want
First time we rated him he got 8.54% chance and 52.92% want. This was post-Joker, and I'd argue that him being seen as too small (before what's an SNK and the fun over recognizability quote) and Steve being seen as both an indie rep and a near-lock hurt his chances. Last time we rated him he got 15.36% chance and 63.83% want. A big rise in both scores, and while Steve being KO surely played a role, I'd say this is one of those instances where a person really backs a character and convinces the thread of their history and potential. What happened since then? The slight drop in chance and massive loss in want have many explanations: Min Min puts Shantae firmly back on the table, Reimu's gotten tons of discussion since then, Mii Costumes are now seen as the go-to place for indies (and Quote himself got a rating as that), and he got rated the same day as Shantae, so bias might have also played a role.
Winners of predictions were NintenRob NintenRob with a precise 12.00% and Sari Sari and BowserKing BowserKing with 15.00%

And now, your extra noms

Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
BowserKing BowserKing 5
Calamitas Calamitas 15
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 5
DaUsername DaUsername 92
Delzethin Delzethin 5
Jomosensual Jomosensual 5
Lyncario Lyncario 5
NintenRob NintenRob 10
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 20
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sari Sari 10
SKX31 SKX31 10
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 10
Troykv Troykv 15
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 5

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
that one guy people use as a stand-in for miis of pretty much every mecha ever
TBH I'm surprised some people besides you-know-who didn't at least put Ray's chances at 10% because of this. It shows Nintendo that people would at least like Ray regardless of how familiar they are with CR.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Saki

Chance - 0.05% - Saki was a character that Sakurai liked so much he basically used it as a template for Kid Icarus Uprising, but left as an Assist trophy. Despite Sakurai practically wishing he was playable back in Brawl, Saki's last game was a decade ago, meaning he's dropped into near irrelevancy these days. Without even major fan demand now, Saki's doomed to not be chosen.

Want - 75% - C'mon, he attacks with a lazer-sword-gun! You have to admit that's inherently interesting.

Ray series Robo

Chance - 0.5% - Custom Robo was a longer lasting series, but ultimately was abandoned in the DS era. Sadly, as with Saki, he lost much of his steam and is now languishing in Nintendo's vault of unused IPs. I'm giving the edge to Ray purely because he had more games, but otherwise they are near impossible outcomes.

Want - 75% - A mecha was always one of my Smash Bros. wants. Ray comes close enough that I want him in purely on that principle.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hector Hugo Munro
Chance - 2%: Nothing is impossible, but Saki is pretty close. Being a dead IP who's only Western releases were a virtual console port and a brief Wii revival is a pretty poor place to be. He has a fair bit of moveset potential, but it seems like Sakurai is happy sticking him as a Mii Costume. He also lacks any real demand, seeing how people barely noticed his Assist Trophy getting cut.

Want - 85%: Sin and Punishment is one of my N64 favourites and, as I mentioned before, he's definitely got enough to be a fun character gameplay wise. Plus, it's got Sin and Punishment has that lovely "English but clearly not being directed by someone who knows how English should sound" voice acting, so Saki should get in because of that alone.

Ray William Johnson
Chance - 2%: A lot of what I said about Saki applies to Ray. Dead IP, limited western releases, Sakurai seemingly being satisfied with just a Mii Costume for him, and lack of demand really sink his chances. His series was a little more active than Sin and Punishment was, but that's really not saying much. At least Saki got to keep his assist trophy in Smash for Wii U, poor Ray got cut immediately after Brawl.

Want - 60%: Never played Custom Robo, but I do like Ray's design. Plus, the idea of turning a kid playing with action figures into a real game is kind of a neat premise.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I... don't have anything new to say on Saki or Ray. They... literally haven't changed a bit from last time, except that the fact that they're Spirits is no longer a limiting factor... at least I think Ray's a Spirit. I know Saki is, but I forget if Ray is.

Pretty much: both chances are 0%, and both's wants are abstentions. They are both 0%'s in chance because they have identical issues: they haven't had any games in such a long time that their futures are still in doubt. They both have Mii Costumes which might be a bigger problem than their spirits. The removal of their assists are not necessarily boons if Isaac in Smash 4 is anything to go by. Combined altogether, that gives them extremely dire relevance, and they don't have anywhere near enough demand to overcome their shortcomings. I think there is simply no reason for Nintendo to want either of them. And while I can at least imagine Sakurai wanting Saki, I dunno if the same applies to Ray.

Wants are abstentions because I haven't played either's game and I really do not care about these characters whatsoever. If they're in, it's just another slot gone, but the wait for Min Min has pounded my hype into a pulp so more characters to use is more characters to use. No sweat off my back.

Red x 5 (I'll save my extra noms for later), Dixie Kong and Paper Mario are almost the exact opposite of Saki and Ray. I expect high marks for Paper Mario due to winning in relevance against his big two competitors (45.34%), and even higher ones for Dixie since she's running in the DK market almost totally unopposed (54.20%).

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Red x 5 (I'll save my extra noms for later), Dixie Kong and Paper Mario are almost the exact opposite of Saki and Ray. I expect high marks for Paper Mario due to winning in relevance against his big two competitors (45.34%), and even higher ones for Dixie since she's running in the DK market almost totally unopposed (54.20%).
We're rating Bandana Dee tomorrow, not Paper Mario.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Huh, somebody else said that and I misread it? Oops. Must've been tired. Bandana Dee is a lot like Dixie and even more popular/requested. Pretty much, his Spirit was the only major thing holding him back to a lot of people. 60.10%, I have a feeling he's becoming the most likely character tomorrow.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over...

So... uh... rate Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee.

Predict Nightmare from Soul Cailbur and Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Dixie Kong mood:

Some songs to get into the Bandana Dee mood:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hoo boy, here we go.
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chance-75%. I'm of the belief that Bandana Dee's a major sleeper pick. Kirby is lacking in modern representation, Spirits are on the table again, and he has a mixture of popularity, modern relevance, and being the effective fourth main character of the Kirby series. His main obstacle is A: The fact that we haven't had a supporting character as DLC yet (Not counting Min Min because of the ensemble cast), and, most importantly, B: If Sakurai and Nintendo want to add more Kirby content.
Want: 100%. Bandana Dee is second only to Reimu on my wishlist, and only barely. It started out as just wanting a new Kirby rep, but I've become attached to the Dee. He's the underdog; He wants to be brave and strong like Kirby and co., and he gets there with sheer dedication. I'd be fine with any Kirby character, but I hope for the Dee most of all.
Dixie Kong
Chance: 65%. Like Bandana Dee, she's a major character, a popular request, and Spirits are back on the table again. Unlike Bandana Dee, however, her home series has already gotten a new fighter. As a result, I think her chances are a bit lower. Then again, it might just be bias talking.
Want: 40%. I'm neutral on her, but I'm sure she'd be fun. Plus, she's a major character in the DK games, so I can definitely see why she'd be in.

Predictions:
Nightmare: 45%
Sol Badguy: 65%

Nomination: Klonoa x5

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Helmet Bokoblin
Chance - 65%: Bandana Dee really benefited from Min Min's inclusion, seeing how it shut down many of the most common arguments against his inclusion. He isn't enough of a star to carry a full Challenger Pack? He's a spirit? Star Allies came out in 2018 and thusly too old to promote? Kirby has too many base game spirits to justify creating an entirely new spirit board? All of that really falls in the face of a spirit upgrade who appears in a 2017 game where she's largely absent from said game's promotional material that reuses spirits for its board.

Plus, Bandana Dee still has the many things that made such a strong contender in the first place still going for him: lots of moveset potential through a (mostly) unique weapon type, a ton of fan demand, and frequent important roles in his home series. Add the cherry on top that we're just about due for a new Kirby game and it's highly speculated that FP2 will be first-party dominated, it really seems like Bandana Dee is about to get his day in the sun.

Want - 100%: *Ahem*
I really love the idea of Bandana Dee in Smash. I've got a lot of positive memories with the character, as my brother would always play as him whenever we played Return to Dreamland as kids. Plus, I like how Bandana Dee is essentially an otherwise unimportant member of his species who rises through the ranks using hard work and a positive attitude to fight along the naturally planet busting Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede. Plus, I'm a general sucker for polearms in video games, so getting a dedicated spear user in Smash would be awesome.

I'm not sure if he or Crash would be my singular most wanted newcomer, but it's a close race either way. Long live the Dee.

Hey Dix!
Chance - 30%: Much like Bandana Dee, Dixie benefitted from many of the same revelations that Min Min brought. Spirits are for sure eligible, a lack of potential for new spirits isn't an issue, and you don't have to be the main character of the series you hail from to get a fighter's pack. However, there's still two issues that Dixie faces that aren't really an issue for Bandana Dee. First, while Bandana Dee has been landing the top 10 or so spots of popularity polls since the ballot days, Dixie has been a dark horse stuck in K. Rool's shadow until recently. Second, Donkey Kong has a tendency to take long hibernations. Despite how popular the series is, there's often a long wait between main entries. She's definitely got a fighting chance, but she doesn't feel quite as obvious as Bandana Dee.

Want - 55%: I'm extremely neutral on Dixie Kong. I have no real connection to her either way. That being said, it would be cool to finish off DK's main cast, so I'll give a 5% boost.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chance - 30%
30% and not lower only because he's a popular request.

If he was not added in Smash 4 when he was more relevant, why should they add him now? I mean, if they skipped him for base roster and first wave of DLC despite being one of the most requested characters there must be a reason.
Unless he is treated as an actual main character in the next Kirby game, I don't see him happening, unless they choose characters only by fan requests, something that so far doesn't seem to be the case (Min Min was popular compared to the others ARMS characters but ARMS in general was not a popular request for Smash).

I think that there's a decent chance of getting a new Kirby character from Kirby Star Allies, because it sold more than 2 milions of copies and it's one of the best selling Kirby games since when the franchise exists; but Kirby Star Allies is not Bandana Waddle Dee's game, that would be the Wii game. Star Allies is popular for bringing back all the older friends of Kirby, so I'm expecting that if we're getting a Kirby character, it will be from one of the DLC waves. Something tells me that Magolor is the most likely since he's along with Marx the most popular character to use in the boss rush of Star Allies, due to how powerful and easy to use they are.

Want - 0%
I want a Kirby character in Smash, I don't care who. My most wanted is Adeleine but at this point I'm ok with anything as long as I get a Kirby character. Just not Bandana Waddle Dee... I want one of those cool characters with unique fighting styles, not the stab and slash guy, there are already too many characters like that and with all the unique characters Kirby has to offer it would be a waste to get the only one who doesn't have any unique skill.

I also don't see much moveset potential in him, and I see evidence of this when people have to put beam ability moves into his moveset when no Waddle Dee has ever used a beam move in the whole series.
I'm not saying he can't work, it's just that he would be like Little Mac, a very basic character... and I would definitely pass on that.

If we really have to get a Waddle Dee, at least let it be a regular Waddle Dee and use the whole species as source for the moveset (and the look, come on, there are other cool hats that other Waddle Dees wear and if it's Bandana you can't have them), not spear and parasol only.

Dixie Kong
Chance - 15%
I'm not sure why, but I think that they will go Peppy and Slippy and skip her. There are only 5 slots left and I'm pretty sure one of them is Geno (I'm confident that if the Mii costume didn't come back yet it's because they're planning something for him... most of the big popular characters have been added, Ridley, K Rool, Banjo... I think that Geno is next), so in 4 characters where I can totally see at least 2 of them being third parties, I don't think Dixie is a priority. If anything, I think that it's more likely to get some fighters from unrepresented franchises such as Rhythm Heaven, or from something bigger like Pokèmon or Zelda.
Donkey Kong has got King K Rool in base game, and this hurts Dixie's chances too.

Want - 60%
I've played the classic DKC trilogy just some weeks ago, and while I'm still not a big fan of the series, I enjoyed them a bit, especially DKC3.
Dixie can be an interesting character, she has got the moveset potential (pony tail whip and grabs) and the personality; she has some visually unique stuff too, such as the electric guitar and the bubble gum (the latter can also be used for a few attacks). I definitely wouldn't mind her even though she's far from being one of my most wanted characters.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll preface this by saying that I think Min Min helps both of them. Not by just being a Spirit (since I was always on the side of them being promotable), but with the specifics of her inclusion. First off, her Spirit Board shows that you don't have to come with all-new Spirits, and in fact having Spirits from your series already can help - which matches with how Spirits were de-emphasized in FPV2 marketing. Second, she reuses her model from ARMS - something that both Dixie and Dee could do, and that points to the possibility of a lower budget Pass (which helps all first party characters imo). With that said, on to the ratings.

Vampire Hunter Dee

Chance: 60%
This boy, I'd bet on. He's incredibly popular worldwide, with a strong following in Japan. Since the project plan finalized in 2015, he blew up, becoming one of the most important characters in the Kirby series (and the most important not in Smash). He's got potential for a unique moveset, could bring a stage and music from like half the Kirby series, and Kirby's missing a couple of characters as Spirits so if need be that's there too. Coupled with the fact that Min Min shows games from 2017 are still in the radar and not old news (Star Allies is 2018), and that I expect a new Kirby to be announced in 2021 at the latest, and Dee's looking pretty good. His only obstacle is Sakurai bias against the era of Kirby he didn't create; which is lessened because he isn't choosing characters, but could still be a factor if Nintendo still sees his wishes as the series creator as something to respect.

The solo artist behind hits like "Bananas are a Girl's Best Friend"
(How the **** did they get away with that joke in a Nintendo game??)

Chance: 47%
Not as strong as Dee because of a couple of reasons. For one, DK got a character in base game, so they might see that as good for this game (or this decade given the time it takes to get a DK newcomer). Second, Tropical Freeze, while ported in '18, is actually a 2014 game, so that might be past some kind of statute of limitations for relevance (or it might not, given that it was on the Wii U and was sold for 50 bones on the Switch). Third, we don't know if a new DKC is on the horizon, as unlike the Kirby team's regular schedule, Retro is more irregular, we don't know what their mystery project was, how it was doing, or if it'll still release, and they're currently on Metroid Prime 4. Still, the demand is there, she has the potential to be unique, stages and music for DKC is sorely lacking, the whole shebang.

Want: 100%
These two characters should already be in Smash. They're huge deals for their series, and beloved characters. Dee is an absolute breakout star, going from a barely more differentiated Toad to pretty much Kirby's Luigi. And Dixie's one of Nintendo's biggest female stars, the face of a pair of million selling hits, and was really wronged by the company. Honestly, against the common knowledge, these two would be some of the most hype characters possible for me, and I hope we get at least one of them.

Noms: ****ing Tidus X5
Nightmare prediction: 24.76%
Sol Badguy prediction: 19.98%

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong

Chance: 65%

She's benefited greatly from the Spirits deconfirming argument being debunked, and she's been a longtime major character in her own series, headlining her own game in the main series. She was also considered to be playable back in the Brawl days, which has applied to many characters that previously got into Smash. There's also the fact that Min Min's spirit board reuses Spirits already in the game, which helps her even more.

Want: 100%

She's one of my most wanteds, and feels like the biggest missing Nintendo character for me. Honestly I will never see Ultimate as an true Nintendo all star game without her.

Bandanna Dee

Chance: 40%

He's also benefited from the Spirits deconfirming argument being debunked. Like Dixie, he also benefits from the fact that Spirit Boards can now reuse Spirits already in the game.

Want: 40%

I'm neutral on Dee, don't really have a strong desire for him or against him. He'd be a fun character to play, though.

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular Opinion Time!!!

BWD
Chance: 30%
Ok, this so this is a popular character. And thats about it. Can't really see why but he is. I was tempted to give him a 0% and just say Sakurai hates him so he's not getting in. That's a pretty annoying statement. Spirits don't deconfirm anymore so he's back. I'd still say he's less likely than Rex and Geno though.

Want: 0%
I'm not really interested in seeing another Kirby rep ATM. But if I had to choose one to become playable, my pick would be Marx because I think he looks way more fun to play than BWD. Mage-like characters are my favorite types of character to play while the pure melee range fighter isn't something I normally enjoy without a cool gimmick, or personal attachment to the character (this used to be the other way around, but at some point it swapped). I've also always just been better at mage-like characters. If the boss fight is any indication, Marx would probably have a pretty mage like playstyle, and BWD would probably be closer to the pure melee fighter. I like Marx's personality way better too. Dude's insane af. Compare that to BWD, who's personality is just DDD's soldier. We also don't have a Kirby villain yet(Meta Knight is an obvious anti-hero, the Kirby subreddit says DDD is one too.) Villains have always been ignored in Smash. It's still a miracle we got Dark Samus, KKR, and Ridley all in the base roster. A common thing I saw was "we don't have a spear user" when reasons for BWD got brought up. Well to that I say, we don't have a jester either. Corrin's just a clown, that doesn't count.

Dixie Kong:
Chance: 25%
I'm giving Dixie a lower score because there is a chance that Sakurai and the rest of the Smash team decide that she'd be too similar to Diddy to take a DLC slot. Yes, I know that she's different than Diddy in many ways. Probably not a major issue but it is one.

Want: 0%
Similar scenario as BWD. I don't think DK needs another rep right now. If I had to pick on, I'd go for Funky Kong instead. If I'm playing Melee ranged character, I'd prefer they have some kill power. Characters like Sheik or Diddy Kong frustrate me quickly because of this. Dixie would definitely play similar to Diddy Kong, at least in the power and speed departments. And that's where I find my biggest issue with Dixie Kong. I already don't like playing Diddy Kong much. If I'm going to play a character, I'd rather not have it feel like a chore to get kills. Funky Kong would probably not have this issue as he's about the size of Donkey Kong. Another issue I have with Dixie is that she's really bland. Like, I had to google if she had a personality or not. Compaired to Corrin, she looks like the Dos Equis guy, but that's not saying much when Corrin's a complete dip****. I'd rather have a more interesting character. I'm aware Dixie can use her hair to do stuff, but I really don't find "my hair is a weapon/tool" to be a cool gameplay gimmick(something I forgot to say during the Shantae day btw). You can tell what Funky's like just by looking at him. He's the surfer monkey. Surfer Monkey sounds like an awesome character to play as. Funky also looks like a cool dude to hang out with. By no means is Funky Kong(or Marx for that matter) this immaculate gift of a character, but IMO, he's a much cooler smash pick than Dixie. Plus we already have 2 DK's in the game we don't need a 3rd.

Also, Funky Kong could smack someone in the face with a surfboard. Can Dixie do that? Checkmate Dixie supporters.

Noms: Alex Mason x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A person of color x165
Tidus x140
Moogle x135
Nate Adams x125
The Stretchers x120
Alex Mason x120
D.Va x115

150 - 101

Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Shuichi Saihara x101

100 - 51

[Rerate] Frisk x95
Red (Angry Birds) x90
Sackboy x80
[Rerate] Ezio x80
Proto Man x75
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x75
Fulgore x74
Boss: Ender Dragon x68
Concept: More ATs as one new item x65
The Terrarian x60
Sakura Shinguji x55
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x55

50 - 25

Billy Hatcher x50
Gooigi x37
Giygas x35
Riptor x35
Urbosa x30
The Bard (Wandersong) x30
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x25

Under 25

Magolor x22
Jin Sakai x20
Klonoa x20
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
Wolf Link x15
Lora and Jin x15
[Rerate] Maxwell x15
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x15
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Cynthia x10
Yoshimitsu x10
Chell x8
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Taranza x6
Echo (Olimar) x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
John Marston x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Zero (Mega Man) x5
Three Mage Sisters x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2

Nate Adams passes The Stretchers and takes fourth place. Alex Mason shoots past D.Va and is now tied with The Stretchers for fifth.

Shuichi Saihara crosses 100 noms.

Monster Hunter gathers 25 noms.

Now *cracks knuckles* it appears we've spotted a bad take.

If he was not added in Smash 4 when he was more relevant, why should they add him now?
He's as relevant now as he was back then. And "if they were going to be added, why not do so before?" is one of the arguments with the least basis in logic ever, it applies to literally any character.
Unless he is treated as an actual main character in the next Kirby game
He already is.
I want a Kirby character in Smash, I don't care who.
Your want score says otherwise.
there are already too many characters like that
Too many short characters with long reach?
I also don't see much moveset potential in him
Every Kirby character has pretty much their entire Smash moveset made.
I'm not sure why, but I think that they will go Peppy and Slippy and skip her.
Peppy and Slippy? From Star Fox? That's the series you think will get priority? And we'll get both characters? How? Why?
I'm confident that if the Mii costume didn't come back yet it's because they're planning something for him
*Enter Heihachi Mishima*

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Concept: A person of color x165
Tidus x140
Moogle x135
Nate Adams x125
The Stretchers x120
Alex Mason x120
D.Va x115

150 - 101

Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Shuichi Saihara x101

100 - 51

[Rerate] Frisk x95
Red (Angry Birds) x90
Sackboy x80
[Rerate] Ezio x80
Proto Man x75
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x75
Fulgore x74
Boss: Ender Dragon x68
Concept: More ATs as one new item x65
The Terrarian x60
Sakura Shinguji x55

50 - 25

Billy Hatcher x50
Gooigi x37
Giygas x35
Riptor x35
Urbosa x30
The Bard (Wandersong) x30
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x25

Under 25

Magolor x22
Jin Sakai x20
Klonoa x20
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
Wolf Link x15
Lora and Jin x15
[Rerate] Maxwell x15
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x15
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Cynthia x10
Yoshimitsu x10
Chell x8
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Taranza x6
Echo (Olimar) x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
John Marston x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Zero (Mega Man) x5
Three Mage Sisters x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2

Nate Adams passes The Stretchers and takes fourth place. Alex Mason shoots past D.Va and is now tied with The Stretchers for fifth.

Shuichi Saihara crosses 100 noms.

Monster Hunter gathers 25 noms.

Now *cracks knuckles* it appears we've spotted a bad take.

He's as relevant now as he was back then. And "if they were going to be added, why not do so before?" is one of the arguments with the least basis in logic ever, it applies to literally any character.

He already is.

Too many short characters with long reach?

Every Kirby character has pretty much their entire Smash moveset made.

Peppy and Slippy? From Star Fox? That's the series you think will get priority? And we'll get both characters? How? Why?

*Enter Heihachi Mishima*
Dayum

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Don't take sentences out of context: I said that Bandana Waddle Dee is too basic for my tastes so I want any Kirby character except Bandana Waddle Dee.

I don't think you got the point of that sentence.

I'm not going to comment on the rest because it's all subjective stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom