• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 I'm not complaining but haven't I already used all my extra noms? Not sure where those extra five came from.
Iirc you had 20 extra noms, and one day you gave Meta Knight echo 20 noms (the daily 5 + 15 extra) so you should still have 5 left.
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 I'm missing an extra five nomination, I think you might have missed this:
I checked and you're right, sorry about missing those and thank you for pointing it out.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
No DLC stages

Chance: 75%
Want: 10%

I won't care that much about having no new stages post pass, I think the stage roster we have is great. But I wouldn't mind more. Sadly I don't think we're getting new stages unless it's for a new 3rd party. But I would love another Mario Maker type stage.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No new stages post-Fighter's Pass:

Chance: 10%

Saying we won't get new stages is like saying we won't get many, if any, third-parties after Fighter #5. Personally I'd be ecstatic if we got another pass with nothing but first-party characters, but most people seem to believe we're getting at least a few more third-parties. Seeing how we already miss out on ATs and items for new franchises added via DLC, I can't see them passing up on a new stage. There would be virtually nothing to represent the franchise outside the character and a few Spirits.

Want: 0%

Obviously I want new stages. Don't know why someone would be opposed to more content.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
No more stages?
Chance: 5%

This is purely based on whether Sakurai wants to add more stages or not. I highly doubt this would happen anyway, and I don't really need to explain myself here.

Also, why would I, or anyone else want less content to be added to the game? I don't see the benefit here, and once again, I don't really need to explain myself.

Sol Badguy: 11.26%
Literally who?: 1.31%

Toxtricity x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I believe the day is over?
1577056212594.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the third time you've asked when the day would be over when I've already written the end time in the day start post.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, as well as Francis York Morgan from Deadly Premonition.

Predict Concept: Any new Xenoblade character.
And no, KOS-MOS is not a Xenoblade character

Day will around noon EST on Tuesday.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to get into the Guilty Gear mood:

Also some songs to get into the Deadly Premonition mood:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The "I don't give a ****" day

Abstain all around, I don't anything about any of these

Nominate King Boo x5

Tomorrow should be fun, prediction 12%

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sol Badgee (“good man” in French. Seriously, what kind of name is that?)
Chance: 75%

I think Sol has a decent chance to get in as DLC, despite his lesser popularity. As Sakurai says, it’s more important that a character is fun than how popular they are.

Want: 50%
I’d prefer Crash or Sora, but at the same time, I’d sure as heck play as Sol. And besides, the Guilty Gear music I did manage to hear (like Smell of the game) is simply fantastic.

New Francis York Morgan
Chance: 0%

Deadly Premonition is, I’m sorry, but simply poop. And besides, I don’t care either way.

New Xenoblade character: 20%

Noms: Claude von Rerate x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna have to abstain on both since I know little about each series. Though in regards to Guilty Gear I could see it happening. Co-developed by Bandai Namco and a recent release of the original on Switch, a case could easily be made for it. A similar case could be made for Deadly Premonition since it too recently had a Switch release, but unlike Sol, I don't see Nintendo choosing a character like Francis York Morgan, even with Resident Evil out of the picture.

Nominations:
Concept: Civilization series rep x5

Predictions:
New Xenoblade Character - 75.24%

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ah, the double day where I don't know either character. Will give it a go anyways

Sol Badguy

Chance 20 - I could maybe see this. Sol Badguy comes from a fighting game, which makes a moveset extremely easy. The series seems somewhat popular, but IDK if it's popular enough to get picked or if Sakurai has a major love for it like he did SNK which helped make up for some of that. Overall there's something here in my opinion but I'm having a tough time saying I have confidence in it. Would be willing to go higher if my searching came back with anything really pushing it towards yes. Instead I found a lot of regular Gamefaqs posts claiming things here and there, but I'm not going to use that as a source to push it one way or antoher. Feels like something my rating could change on if we find out the number of DLC characters we're going to get post pass.

Want 30 - Kinda got a small feel for him in my research and can say that he wouldn't be someone I'd hate to see make it. I don't know the character very well so I can only go so high on his chances. Would also be hyped to see the generic anime swordsman complaint pop up for him because it would make people very, very dumb. So far all the fighting characters brought into Smash have been done well, and even though I might suck at all of them I have a hard time seeing how Sol wouldn't be a completely layup for the Smash team

Francis York Morgan

Chance 5 - Another one where I think I can see a small case. Not as big as Sol's but it exists. If a horror rep was going to get in the game as DLC then Resident Evil likely being off the board helps FYM. It also feels like there's a moveset here based on what a I read, although I'm not totally sure I understand what it would be(Product of me being really tired and probably not reading correctly possibly). Kinda getting the same read I had with Sol where while there's nothing pointing to him being impossible for the game, there's also not a lot telling me this feels likely but to a more major degree since Sol has a bigger legacy and is from a longer running and more popular series. Also, seeing the game has mixed reviews hurts it a little in my eyes since we saw what happened the last time a character from a game that wasn't very well recieved got added in as DLC.

Want 10 - I don't think I'd hate it, but I have no connection to the character or series. The moveset isn't as clear, and the game having mixed reviews worries me a little since the last thing I'd want is to have another potential Corrin situation where nobody is all that excited over the pick even when the character is released.

Predict Xenoblade Rep - 6.28%

Noms
Vault Boy x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Top ten worst videogame character names

Chance: 20%
I could see it happening? ArcSys has definitely been a success story and a critical darling in the fighting game genre (kinda like a less mainstream Platinum), and I guess their style of beautiful, 2D animated fighters has been pretty influential (even if they themselves have made half of the big games that take after Guilty Gear and BlazBlue). After SNK I could see ArcSys also getting the call.

Although, if they were to go for ArcSys, would they do BlazBlue or Guilty Gear? GG was their first, though from what I could find BlazBlue is the most successful, and both are ongoing. My knowledge is limited, so I'd appreciate if someone could give me a definitive answer on this.

Want: 65%
Yeah, I'd be fine with it. The obvious rep for Guilty Gear is Sol. I'll be honest though, I find Sol to be kind of a boring character, and I'm more of a BlazBlue guy myself.

Though to be fair, Ragna is even boringer than Sol and he's the main guy in BB, so whatevs.

Edit: oh yeah we're also rating Francis York for some reason

Uhh... What? Seriously, why is this in contention? Like, Deadly Premonition is this super polarizing cult game, like if Shenmue hadn't been a big deal or super technologically advanced. A weird Japanese detective game inspired by Twin Peaks dropped in the beginning of this wonderful decade, it would probably have been forgotten if it weren't so special. But Smash? I can't fathom a moveset for York, honestly. And, like, isn't the IP owned by Marvelous now? Story of Seasons and No More Heroes Marvelous? I could even see Little King's Story and Daemon X Machina have a better shot due to stronger Nintendo connection (y'all won't remember but LKS is a Wii classic). I... Am at a loss for words.

Want: 5%
Maybe a little just for the laughs? But York is the opposite of a third party Smash character. He's not iconic, he's not influential, he's not a mascot, he's not even particularly compelling as a fighter. I... Can't say I get why he'd be included.

Noms: Atari rep x5
Prediction: 12.7%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Sole bad person

Chance: 25%
ArcSys is a fairly well respected and big gaming company with quite a few franchises under it's belts that are at least somewhat recognizable. Hell I'd argue ArcSys is one of the bigger fighting game companies that aren't either SNK or Capcom that has made at least a decent sized mark on the genre. As for what franchises of theirs would get representation? I think Guilty Gear and BlazBlue are the two that are really standout in that regard.

Guilty Gear has much more of a legacy than BlazBlue though as it has been going on since 1998 compared to 2008. Also Guilty Gear is relevant and has some games on the Switch so even if those were criteria (they really aren't) it would fit them. I just think it has a fair shot at Smash and Sol would be the standout choice for a GG character.

No real opinion one way or another I think it'd be cool to have another Fighting Game character but I'd probably prefer Heihachi or some other Tekken character first though I do like Sol's design and potential music selection so again I wouldn't be opposed but I have other priorities before him. He's fine.

Francis York Morgan:

Abstain on Chance

Abstain on Want

Nomination: Reimu Hakurei x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

Day 364: Concept: Any new Xenoblade character
Day 365: Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies)
Day 366: Heihachi (Tekken)
Day 367: Unsafe Wiimote Guy
Day 368: Prince of All Cosmos (Katamari)
Day 369: Glover (Glover)
Day 370: Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Heihachi jumps into the fray at the last minute and dukes it out with everyone, making it all the way to a last minute tie for second place. As usual, Aloy, who ain't getting noms anymore, gets left out of the schedule. Gotta say, this week is an all-star lineup. Should be interesting.

Anyway, your new top seven consists of Sora, Aloy, Noctis Lucis Caelum, Ryu Hayabusa, Kunio, Monokuma, and a tie between Ryo Hazuki and Mii Costume: Hollow Knight.

[Rerate] Sora x101
Aloy x100
Noctis Lucis Caelum x85
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x85
Kunio (River City) x85
[Rerate] Monokuma x85
Ryo Hazuki x80
Mii Costume: Hollow Knight x80

100 - 51

Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x75
Concept: Atari rep x70
King Boo x69
Sackboy x68
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Akira Howard x63
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x60
Reporter & Wrestler x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x50
[Rerate] 2B x50
Earthworm Jim x43
Meowth x43
[Rerate] Dante x42
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x40
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x35
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x30
Vault Boy x30
Chun-Li x28
Kazuma Kiryu x25
Echo: 27e (Meta Knight) x25
The Blob (De Blob) x25
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x25

Under 25

Urbosa x23
Toxtricity x22
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x20
Giygas x17
Rival Pokémon Trainer x16
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Concept: Devolver Digital rep x15
Boss: Ender Dragon x14
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x13
[Rerate] Waluigi x13
[Rerate] Skull Kid x12
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
Freddy Fazbear x7
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x5
Terra Branford x5
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x5
[Rerate] Isaac x5
Alucard (Castlevania) x5
Chell x3
[Rerate] Andy x2
Taranza x1

Chun-Li, an Echo of Meta Knight, The Blob, and Reimu Hakurei fight their way out of the under 25 club.

DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire After talking about it with the team, we've decided not to allow your nominations for a Civ rep. There are no characters in the series that aren't real life individuals, and their portrayals aren't fictionalized versions of them but rather more-or-less historically accurate (inasmuch as can be in a game of Civ, at least). Of course, you get to keep your extra noms, and I'd recommend that you change the ones for today.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Sol Beltguy
Chance: 30%
Guilty Gear does seem to be Arc's flagship series and is pretty acclaimed at that. It may not carry the same legacy as Street Fighter and SnK nor do I know if Sakurai is as passionate about the series as those two but if Arc System were to get a rep I can definitely see it being Sol. Sure, there's Blazblue as well but we Terry instead of Kyo so I also see Sol making it in over Ragna

Want: Abstaining, I actually know very little about him or his series beyond what that DB episode informed me about.

Mario world whistle
Chance: 1%
Deadly premonition is on the Switch now and is getting a sequel which is looking like an exclusive but that doesn't guarantee a spot in Smash. Deadly premonition despite it's status as a ''So bad it's good'' game wasn't commercially succesfull. York doesn't have much to go of moveset wise and has huge competition from Travis.

I haven't played the game myself but from what I've seen, the actual 'game' looks like the most boring and generic part so I can't imagine York being very fun to play. Honestly, Deadly premonition looks like a game better fit to be represented by Spirits or a Mii costume instead of a fighter.

Xenoblade character: 22.21%
Meta Knight echo x10

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Sonne Schlechterkerl, aka Raditz

Chance: 15%
Another character that I don't really know much about, which is why I'm basing my rating mostly off other people's rating so far. ArcSys certainly seems to be a decently well respected and popular series, but I feel that alone isn't enough to really guarantee it a spot in Smash Bros.. Plus, there's the thing that there is traditionally little overlap between the Smash fanbase and those of more traditional fighting games, meaning that fan support is - to my knowledge - not really there. Of course, we've seen several times already that that isn't that big of an issue for DLC fighters, but it is nonetheless a factor.

Want: Abstain
I really don't know enough about this character to make an assessment for that. I'll leave the want score to people who are actually familiar with him.

I hear Jim Sterling really likes this game

. . .Yeah, not happening. Obscure game, not highly regarded game, a game that was essentially a flop and is only now about to get a sequel. I don't see any reason why York should make it in, especially since there's very little moveset potential from what I gather. 'Course, that wouldn't really hinder Sakurai and his team, but I severely doubt that they'd even consider Deadly Premonition in the first place.

Only reason I'm giving a want score is because I really don't want an extremely obscure third-party pick in Smash. Moving on.

Predicting Any Xenoblade Character to get around 27.77%.

Nominating. . . uhhh, King Boo x1, X (Mega Man x2), and Akira Howard x2. Don't really know quite what to push for next, so I'll just give some nominations a bit more even numbers.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Sol Bad Guy and Frank York

Chance: both 5%. Both are not very well known, especially compared to the rest, so they most likely wont be in the game. Competition and lack of popularity would be the end of them, but we have been surprised before, so it's not impossible however.

Want: 50% each. I don't really know about both of them, but I think they could be fun to play as, with decent soundtracks. But since, I don't know too much, I'm putting them in the 50/50 rating.

Prediction: Any Xenoblade Character: 20%

Noms: 2 for Meta Knight Echo and 3 for Meowth

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sol Badguy
Chance: 45%
Guilty Gear is a classic anime fighting game series with a lot of references to heavy metal. It's a really fun fighting game series with tons of memorable and unique characters. And none is more memorable than our protagonist, Sol Badguy.

Guilty Gear is Arc System Works flagship series and it's their most well known IP. If we get a rep from ASW it will likely be from Guilty Gear. Now will we get a rep from ASW? That's a whole other question.

SNK is already in Smash, so it might seem there is less competition from the fighting game front but the truth is far from that. 3D fighting games like Tekken and Soulcalibur aren't represented in Smash. Then there is also the question of the not-so-likely Mortal Kombat which is arguably as big as Street Fighter and Tekken. There are still many fighting games to represent in Smash so it's not as if we're left with only one.

Overall Sol has a shot at making it in, hell, he could even be our fifth fighter.

Want: 70%
I like Guilty Gear, I also like Sol as a character. He's not my most wanted fighting game character in Smash, but he's still someone I would like to see. The best way to push Smash's fighting mechanics forward is by the inclusion of other fighting game characters.

Francis York Morgan
Chance: 1%
Now this quite surprised me to see. York is from the cult classic Deadly Premonition, a game that unfortunately didn't sell that well. However, it's back, and the sequel is exclusive on the Switch to boot. I still don't see this character being on Nintendo and Sakurai's radar, he's just so out there.

Want: 5%
I mean..... besides the laugh I'll get if this happens I still don't see why Nintendo would choose York of all characters. I don't find a moveset from him exciting, or rather, I don't find anything exclusive to York that other games didn't already do like Resident Evil. Maybe I could be wrong, especially since I only played the first area of Deadly Premonition and didn't continue it, but I don't see what York could bring to the table. Maybe he could switch personalities and change his damage output? I don't know, my knowledge on Deadly Premonition is limited and I'm not just about to look for my old copy of Deadly Premonition and play it to find out.

Prediction: Any Xenoblade character 23.4%
Nomination: Waluigi x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The soul of a bad guy

Chance: 15%
ArcSys is one of the notable Japanese companies remaining that is not represented in Smash at the moment. With the success of Dragon Ball FighterZ and other titles, ArcSys is probably more relevant than ever. A rep from them would not be too surprising and the only internal competition Sol would have would be with Ragna from BlazBlue. Sol would probably have the upperhand considering how longer lasting GG is when compared to BlazBlue. If fighting game reps are an issue then the only other fighter series that Sol would have to compete with would be Tekken since we already have Capcom and SNK (and another SNK rep is extremely unlikely with the content Terry brought with him). Overall, not too much going for or against him.

Want: 65%
I used Sol a lot in one of the older GG titles so I'd be alright with him getting in. I will admit that when it comes to other fighting game characters, there are still a bunch more from both Capcom and SNK that I'd want to see first (specifically Chun-li, Iori, and of course Kyo who is my all-time most wanted character).

----------

The biker character from Left 4 Dead + a popular chocolate peppermint patty + first name of the actor who played God in Bruce Almighty

A character from a game that got mixed reviews upon its release and did poorly in sales. The only thing he really has going for him is his new game being a Switch exclusive, but I don't think that will be enough to get him into Smash.

Want: Abstain
Never played Deadly Premonition so I won't comment.

----------

Xenoblade character chance prediction: 24.93%

Nominations:
2B x5

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Abstaining from Francis due to not playing Deadly Prem yet. I need to play more Swery games in general, and I do have The Missing on my Switch....

Sol Badguy
Chance: 7%- Mr. Guilty Gear himself, Frederick Would certainly be an intriguing choice. However he would have to struggle for that coveted ArcSys spot against others like the BlazBlue cast or Kunio/Alex. Also the chances of landing in the Fighter Pass are immensely low since Terry seems to be the main showcase of a character with traditional Fighting game inputs here much like Ryu was for the Sm4sh DLC.

Want:11%- I wouldn't mind Fred, though I think if he were gonna be a Guest character he would more likely land in BBTag or FighterZ than Smash. I think I can just be content with checking out that v-13 mod for Project M when it's done if I wanted my ArcSys in Smash fix.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Only Villain and... I can't make a joke out of a boring name like that.

Sol Chance: 35%. From what I understand, Guilty Gear is a pretty popular series and very well regarded. At the same time, though, I don't see very much clamouring for this character. So I'm not quite sure how low I can say he's really got, but it isn't very high. And now that I know he's from Arc-System Works, I can reasonably estimate his moveset would be pretty much laid out for him. Probs fun to fight, too.

Sol Want: 40%. However it's single-handedly due to IWBTG introducing me to the soundtrack (of Isuka in particular, and from my understanding it's Faust's theme and somebody else's I can't remember). Without that, I wouldn't care half as much.

Francis Chance, Francis Want: Abstaining. I have never ever heard of this character in any circumstance ever. Even I have holes in my gaming awareness, though I've heard about Deadly Premonition in passing.

Concept: Assist Trophies Added In Updates x 5.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Sol Badguy

Chance: 5%
I'm not entirely sure Sol would be the rep, although it'd make a lot of sense. Others have pointed out Guilty Gear's success and whatnot, but there's a problem: Guilty Gear is another traditional fighting game. We've just had Terry. I just don't see him being DLC Pass Fighter #5, especially when there are so many other 3rd party reps to choose from.

If there's a character from Guilty Gear I want, it's not Sol. I care little for the series to begin with too so... If he got in, I'd accept him and play him a bit -maybe even find him so much fun that he becomes my new main. But here and now, fat nope.

New York, Morgan

abstain, I know and care little about Deadly Premonition. Didn't even know of it until now.

Predictions: any Xenoblade character - 9%
KOS-MOS isn't from Xenoblade, but from Xenosaga. Only Elma and Rex+Pyra/Mythra stand a chance but I don't think this board will give those Nintendo characters much of a chance is this 3rd party fest that is the DLC Fighter Pass.

Nominations: Kiryu Kazuma x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire After talking about it with the team, we've decided not to allow your nominations for a Civ rep. There are no characters in the series that aren't real life individuals, and their portrayals aren't fictionalized versions of them but rather more-or-less historically accurate (inasmuch as can be in a game of Civ, at least). Of course, you get to keep your extra noms, and I'd recommend that you change the ones for today.
Gonna switch my extra noms over to Gex x10! Thank you for letting me know!

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Sol
Chance: 20%

I love Guilty Gear. But I don't see any reason why Sol would be in Smash. I would also argue that now that his primary inspiration, Terry is in Smash it feels even more redundant. That said, I wouldn't mind if only because for Daisuke's music.

Francis
Chance: abstain
Want: abstain

Nom: Akira Howard

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
:ultjoker: -> :ulthero:
How is that a problem?
Joker plays nothing like the Persona games for a reason. He's been designed instead as this nimble fighter instead with his persona only increasing his existing moves. In persona however, they give you access to your skills. No persona, no skills. Using Eiha actually should require him to summon Arsene - not to mention Joker being the MC, his Fool arcana grants him access to a 2nd persona.

This choice was made because Hero was next and because Hero was meant to be the RPG rep so as to give us players as wide and varied a choice as possible. Likewise, another traditional fighting character wouldn't change that much from Terry, unless Sakurai is allowed to take liberties so as to provide us with a different experience. This was true for Terry when compared to Ryu and Ken, but would be even more true for a DLC character for whom people pay even more money.

TL;DR: Joker plays nothing like a classic RPG hero and feels nothing like Hero. Terry also feels very different from Ryu and Ken. Another traditional fighting game rep would need to be pretty unique to get in smash, even moreso as a DLC fighter right after another similar DLC fighter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Joker plays nothing like the Persona games for a reason. He's been designed instead as this nimble fighter instead with his persona only increasing his existing moves. In persona however, they give you access to your skills. No persona, no skills. Using Eiha actually should require him to summon Arsene - not to mention Joker being the MC, his Fool arcana grants him access to a 2nd persona.

This choice was made because Hero was next and because Hero was meant to be the RPG rep so as to give us players as wide and varied a choice as possible. Likewise, another traditional fighting character wouldn't change that much from Terry, unless Sakurai is allowed to take liberties so as to provide us with a different experience. This was true for Terry when compared to Ryu and Ken, but would be even more true for a DLC character for whom people pay even more money.

TL;DR: Joker plays nothing like a classic RPG hero and feels nothing like Hero. Terry also feels very different from Ryu and Ken. Another traditional fighting game rep would need to be pretty unique to get in smash, even moreso as a DLC fighter right after another similar DLC fighter.
Since you're aware that Terry fights very differently from Ryu and Ken, I don't follow why you think he'd fight similarly to Sol, especially considering Sol wields a freaking weapon.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah I'm abstaining altogether. I don't know anything about these 2 characters.

Predictions: concept any new xenoblade character - 38%

Noms: Crypto x5 (from the Destroy All Humans series)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah I'm abstaining altogether. I don't know anything about these 2 characters.

Predictions: concept any new xenoblade character - 38%

Noms: Crypto x5 (from the Destroy All Humans series)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Delete the double post. I apologize for the recent double posts from me. It seems like my mouse is messed up and clicking twice.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Since you're aware that Terry fights very differently from Ryu and Ken, I don't follow why you think he'd fight similarly to Sol, especially considering Sol wields a freaking weapon.
I think they assume as such since most of Sol's moves are inspired by Terry. Gunflame=Power Wave, Bandit Revolver= Power Dunk, Grand Viper= Burn Knuckle, Riot Stop= Crack Shoot, Tyrant Rave = Buster Wolf.
Dragon Install is probably Sol's....uh, sole unique tech, along with his sword tricks.

D

Deleted member

Good thing York is being rated with another character today. I'm 100% sure he'd have the most abstains for both ratings if we were to rate him by himself.
honestly. And, like, isn't the IP owned by Marvelous now? Story of Seasons and No More Heroes Marvelous? I could even see Little King's Story and Daemon X Machina have a better shot due to stronger Nintendo connection (y'all won't remember but LKS is a Wii classic). I... Am at a loss for words.
I believe the company that owns Deadly Premonition is Rising Star Games. Marvelous published the original Deadly Premonition in Japan, but Rising Star were the 1s that published the Director's Cut worldwide and are publishing the sequel by themselves.
--------------
"The Badguy" Rasol Ramon

Chance: 40%

Though the Vergeburger has said Sol wouldn't be FP5, that doesn't mean he won't be DLC at all. Guilty Gear is a popular fighting game franchise that honestly seems just as popular as Dead or Alive, if not more popular than DoA currently. It has a few games ported to the Switch, so "not being on an Nintendo platform" wouldn't hold any sort of weight for the franchise to not get included. Arc System Works is also a major Japanese game company with no representation in Smash currently and have made their names known for their incredible work on Dragon Ball FighterZ. With Guilty Gear Strive being the next installment of the franchise, it certainly looks pretty likely for Sol to possibly be in Smash someday.

The 2 things that could go against Sol would be if Sakurai and/or the main guys from ArcSys think the styles of Smash and Guilty Gear won't mesh well together with Guilty Gear being so close to anime with their 20 frame movement, but since we won't have any idea if they do believe that to be the case and with Mr G&W existing with his 1 frame movement or something, I don't think this would be that big of an issue. Another thing is if Nintendo and Sakurai instead wanted Ragna from BlazBlue in Smash instead as it seems there's more crossovers to that game than Guilty Gear, though I don't really have anything to talk about Ragna or BlazBlue's chances since I don't know much about it to begin with.

Want: 95%

If you were to tell me if I wanted to see Sol in Smash before the announcement of more DLC fighters coming I'd probably be very indifferent about him and not have this rating be as high as it is, but now, I'd love to see Sol in Smash. He looks really ****ing cool and comes from an unrepresented company that I like. The only reason he isn't fully 100% is because I'm not familiar with Guilty Gear since I've never played any of the games before, but even with that in mind, I'm still be very interested in seeing Sol and the series he comes from in Smash which is why he's in my top 10 most wanted newcomers list.
--------------
"We're about to be rated today, are you ready Zach?"

Chance: 2.75%

As the person who pretty much dominated all of the noms to York, you might think I have a high percentage rating for him much like I did for Zhao Yun back when we were rating him, but as you see, I don't. York has 3 major things going against him than most other characters we've rated, and I'll list some of the bigger points going against his inclusion.

First, we have to talk about the game itself. Deadly Premonition isn't as big of a franchise as most of the 1s in Smash currently are, and it's revered as a cult classic for being dubbed the best worst game ever. It has glaring issues for a couple of things like performance, audio, and gameplay, but even with all the problems it does have, people still love Deadly Premonition for the wild ride and its story. It's not an influential game by any means, but it certainly has an audience that really love the game and SWERY65's work. You either really really love it or you really really hate it. However, a game like this would heavily depend on if Sakurai likes it enough to include Deadly Premonition in Smash with York as a fighter and if Nintendo are bat**** crazy enough to go with it.

Second, we have to mention the fact that Resident Evil spirits are in Smash and not a RE fighter. Why do I bring this up exactly? Well, Deadly Premonition plays similarly to RE4's combat with both games being over the shoulder and not being able to move while aiming, except Deadly Premonition has much slower and clunkier movement than RE4. Now is where we get into the third major problem for York: moveset potential. Unfortunately, York doesn't really have a whole lot of moves to pull from for Smash. He can shoot, hit things with a melee weapon, hold his breath to stealth around shadows, and blow through doors with his shoulder while running, but that's pretty much it for the combat itself. There may be other major factors for why RE ended up having spirits, but if Leon Kennedy isn't in Smash as a fighter, how could York possibly be in Smash if he has far less moveset potential than Leon?

There is at least a silver lining to all this, and that's the fact that Deadly Premonition 2 was announced in September VIA Nintendo Direct, is a [seemingly timed] exclusive Switch game, and has a 2020 release date. Though we don't know much about the game yet, the fact that Deadly Premonition 2 and Deadly Premonition Origins were announced on an Nintendo Direct for both North American and Japanese versions at least gives us the impression that the people behind the Directs view Deadly Premonition as a game that isn't as niche/obscure as we might make it out to be (which, compared to Doom 64 not being shown on the Japanese Direct and Atelier Ryza not being shown outside of the Japanese Direct, it's pretty interesting to think about). The combat in that game also looks a lot different to the original now that York can finally move while aiming and also seems to have a literal hand gun on him. However, we don't know anything else about the game, and depending on the release date, it could possibly be too late for York to be in Smash for a 2021 DLC release date.

Want: 100%

Alright, York probably has a lot of things I don't like to see from potential characters to be added to Smash like a preferable moveset for me, yet he happens to be my 3rd most wanted character for Smash. Why is this exactly?

Of all the 3rd party characters out there, York is an incredibly WTF pick for Smash, especially as DLC. It's just really hard to believe that he'd be a possibility for Smash at all because of all the things going against him, so I knows York wouldn't stand a chance of being added to Smash. You'd think that a character with no chance of possibly being in Smash would make me not want to root for seeing York, but goddammit Deadly Premonition has such a soft spot in my heart I would undergo cardiac arrest if I saw York being revealed for Smash.

The first time I've heard of Deadly Premonition was when I was watching an LP of the game from SSoHPKC. After watching a couple of episodes, I decided to watch all the cutscenes to Deadly Premonition, and I really got invested in the story. From York driving to Greenvale in the most Chad way possible to the huge part in the end that gave me goosebumps, Deadly Premonition's story is the biggest highlight of the entire game. I know the game is flawed since I've played it on PC and couldn't play it after audio issues kicked in, but I would love to see get any sort of recognition, whether if it's on your list of worst games of all time or being nominated for Best Narrative at the Game Awards.

York somehow doesn't fit in Smash, yet at the same time, he does because of how bizarre Deadly Premonition is. The best analogy I have for Deadly Premonition is that it's a wrestler who's not good at wrestling but at the same time has character work so charismatic you end up being invested in seeing what he'll be doing next. He isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you can get through the rough spots, Deadly Premonition is still a wrestler who has nailed down his character. York himself has a lot of charm to his character. From being calm and collected while investigating the murder case to enthusiastically talking about movies with Zach, he has a really likable personality to me, and he's probably my favorite video game protagonist of all time. If there's anything that would make York fit with the Smash cast, his personality would be 1 of them.

Overall, While Ninja Gaiden and Dynasty Warriors are the 2 franchises that have my most wanted characters for Smash, I personally want to see Deadly Premonition in Smash the most because of how bat**** crazy it'd be to see this game being added. If you don't want to go through playing the game and deal with the problems it has, you should at least watch the cutscenes or LPs of the game like I did.
--------------
Predictions:
Another Xenoblade Rep: 2.12%

--------------
Noms:
Devolver Digital Rep x5

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I believe the company that owns Deadly Premonition is Rising Star Games. Marvelous published the original Deadly Premonition in Japan, but Rising Star were the 1s that published the Director's Cut worldwide and are publishing the sequel by themselves.
I checked the official Nintendo websites for Origins and ABID, Marvelous is the sole copyright cited for the first and is also there for the second, shared with Rising Star games. That leads me to believe Marvelous owns the IP while Rising Star shares the copyright to 2 because of publishing it. Like Nintendo and Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

I checked the official Nintendo websites for Origins and ABID, Marvelous is the sole copyright cited for the first and is also there for the second, shared with Rising Star games. That leads me to believe Marvelous owns the IP while Rising Star shares the copyright to 2 because of publishing it. Like Nintendo and Bayonetta.
Well I just learned that Rising Star Games was a part of Marvelous which probably explains why they're also listed under the trademarks. You're probably right about Marvelous owning Deadly Premonition. All I know is that Rising Star are the 1s publishing the games which led me to believe they owned the IP and not Marvelous or SWERY65 himself.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I think they assume as such since most of Sol's moves are inspired by Terry. Gunflame=Power Wave, Bandit Revolver= Power Dunk, Grand Viper= Burn Knuckle, Riot Stop= Crack Shoot, Tyrant Rave = Buster Wolf.
Dragon Install is probably Sol's....uh, sole unique tech, along with his sword tricks.
Thanks for explaining in fewer words what I couldn't. Damn I need to sleep.

Also, even if Sol has a weapon, it doesn't change the fact he wouldn't change as much. If you want a fighting game with weapons, then you have Soul Calibur which would be an entire other story. It'd represent the whole 3D fighting genre (with possibly sidestepping attacks as gimmick to make use of the Z axis?). On the other hand, you have Guilty Gear with its traditional mechanics we've already seen 2 variations of... I just don't see it being that fresh. Of course, you could come up with a great moveset... but why waste that time and effort there when you could spend it elsewhere more deserving and rewarding?

Top Bottom