• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nah. Arceus is fast enough to get a CM in if your opponent has to switch in an answer to it. One Calm Mind Boost gets him 471 SpD and 443 HP, which is huge.

252 Naive Life Orb Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 33% - 39.3%
252 Timid Choice Scarf Kyogre Water Spout vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 40.2% - 47.6% (in Rain, after SR)
252 Timid Choice Specs Dialga Fire Blast vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 49.2% - 58.2%
252 Timid Choice Scarf Reshiram Fire Blast vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 49.2% - 58.7%
252 Timid Choice Scarf Shandera Overheat vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 54.6% - 65%
252 Timid Choice Scarf Shandera -2 Overheat vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 27.5% - 33% (ie. Shandera Overheat doesn't 2HKO)
252 Timid Choice Scarf Heatran Flamethrower vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 35.2% - 42% (no Flash Fire)
252 Timid Choice Scarf Heatran Earth Power vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 22.6% - 26.6%
252 Timid Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 39.7% - 47%
252 Timid Leftovers Ulgamoth +1 Flame Dance vs. 248/40 Calm Arceus +1 : 46% - 54.2%

All of these pokemon have 130 SpA or higher and all of these moves do neutral or super effective damage.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What I'm saying is that, with the Timid set, you can achieve the same stats and then some by running Bold instead.

EDIT: Yeah.

248 HP / 88 Def / 40 SpDef / 132 Speed / Bold gives you the exact same stats, but with more Defense. Granted, it's one extra point, but still.

EDIT2:

248 HP / 84 Def / 156 SpDef / 20 Speed / Bold gives you the same stats as the Calm set, but with more SpDef.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What I'm saying is that, with the Timid set, you can achieve the same stats and then some by running Bold instead.

EDIT: Yeah.

248 HP / 88 Def / 40 SpDef / 132 Speed / Bold gives you the exact same stats, but with more Defense. Granted, it's one extra point, but still.
Calm is the main set I've been running, I guess I didn't make that clear. I put Timid there as an option but I haven't actually tested it.

Still, you need lots of SpD to survive all the stuff I just mentioned in my last post. In fact, the Timid build would probably have a different spread entirely. 248 HP/200 Def/60 SpD at least.

EDIT: Nope, just checked and there's no way that'll do it. Maybe Timid isn't an option after all?

ss118

Smash Master
Politoed @ Salac Berry
Drizzle: Jolly
252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
30 HP IV
Waterfall
Earthquake
Substitute
Belly Drum

Come at me, bro!

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Mantine @ Leftovers
Water Absorb / Calm
252 HP / 252 Def. / 4 Sp. Atk.
~ Surf
~ Hidden Power [Electric]
~ Toxic
~ <filler>

I came.

Edit - Why did I think this was the Counter Game?

ss118

Smash Master
I laughed. xD

Naaaaaah, I used it as a BDer today because Drizzle helps with increasing the power of waterfall while also negating SS.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I laughed. xD

Naaaaaah, I used it as a BDer today because Drizzle helps with increasing the power of waterfall while also negating SS.
As far as Politoed goes, I usually run a Choice Scarf variant to catch really anything that decides to show up. Also, Choice Scarf allows me to outpace Doryuuzu when I switch in (provided Doryuuzu is not Scarfed) and KO with a Rain boosted STAB Surf or Boiling Water. (Essentially running what Ninetales could do to Doryuuzu but for Politoed you'd need the Scarf)

It's a shame Politoed doesn't learn Trick because outside of Surf / Boiling Water / Ice Beam his special movepool is horrendous.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Politoed @ Salac Berry
Drizzle: Jolly
252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
30 HP IV
Waterfall
Earthquake
Substitute
Belly Drum

Come at me, bro!
Why use this when you can use the exact same set on Swift Swim Poliwrath?

ss118

Smash Master
Politoed is cooler and less expected. Plus if I can successfully get it off, it puts my opponent into a "who do I sacrifice" mode. Which is where you should try to always force them.

Anyway, can someone come up with a gimmicky pokemon that will always be able to come into Nattorei about 3 times for free? I'm thinking max HP + Defense Bold Espeon w/ HP Fire but lol Tarbait...

Edit: Espeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Mirror
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psycho Shock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind

Let's do it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
HP Fire Nattorei.

But lets be serious here...

Mow Rotom.

Otherwise good ****ing luck lol

ss118

Smash Master
****ing Darkrai.....

I'm trying to make a team but it keeps popping in my head saying "lol you suck"

RAAAAAAAWR

screw it all...

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Guts: Adamant
4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Close Combat
Megahorn
Sleep Talk

**** off

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Politoed is cooler
**** YOU NO IT ****ING ISN'T YOU ****ING SACK OF **** **** OFF AND DIE IF YOU THINK POLITOED IS ****ING BETTER THAN ****ING POLIWRATH YOU ****ING **** GOD ****ING DAMMIT YOU SACK OF ****ING ****.

and less expected.
Do you play Gen V at all? Politoed is everywhere. It's one of the most expected pokemon out there right now. Unless you're talking about the set in general, in which case of course nobody expects, but they wouldn't expect if from Poliwrath either.

Also, +1 Spe Politoed is outsped by a ton of things. ScarfTar outspeeds it and changes weather. Latios and Latias outspeed it without needing to boost. Not to mention all the priority users running around. And I shouldn't have to remind you about this move called Whirlwind.

I really don't even know why you would post this. Everything that can be said about it has already been said about the Gen IV Poliwrath build that is EXACTLY THE SAME as this.

Anyway, can someone come up with a gimmicky pokemon that will always be able to come into Nattorei about 3 times for free?
Lum Berry Heatran. Hell, any Lum Berry fire type.

And Primeape is better than that Heracross build.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Nattorei essentially outclasses Forretress in every way, but then only Forretress got Earthquake. Doesn't Nattorei get that Level Field? IIRC it has terrible base power, but still.

Edit - And Toxic Spikes + Rapid Spin to a lesser extent.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
forretress is a better defensive wall (straight defensive) and can rapid spin stuff away, while gaining better type coverage

why nattorei doesn't get rapid spin though is beyond me, he looks like he should be able to do it

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Didn't Gates have that sig with like fifty Poliwraths way back when?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nah, it was only like 7.

I wish it was 50, but that would go over the character limit.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Also, +1 Spe Politoed is outsped by a ton of things. ScarfTar outspeeds it and changes weather. Latios and Latias outspeed it without needing to boost. Not to mention all the priority users running around. And I shouldn't have to remind you about this move called Whirlwind.
Hey so Politoed is faster than TTar. Base 70 Speed. Means it outspeeds the Latis as well.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Blech, you're right. I forgot to EV not-Poliwrath when I was doing the damage calcs.

Doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

Oh, and Scarf Lati@s is probably the most common set now, so they will both still outspeed it regardless.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oh, and Scarf Lati@s is probably the most common set now, so they will both still outspeed it regardless.
Any usage stats I can find say otherwise.

Specs based sets are Latios' favorite, and Latias runs Lefties or Specs most the time.

Sorry.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Any usage stats I can find say otherwise.

Specs based sets are Latios' favorite, and Latias runs Lefties or Specs most the time.

Sorry.
So what you're saying is that people are still too dumb to know that you don't need Specs on a base 130 SpA so you should go for outspeeding Garchomp instead?

Wow, people are doing really stupid stuff this gen.

What server are you getting these stats from? /tr/? They suck. I doubt Smogon has any stats up yet since they just got started a few days ago.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I averaged usage stats from every server I could find out there.

EVERYONE uses Specs Latios. lol

Zef

Smash Ace
Dunno if anyone posted this

Nattorei @ Rugged Helmet
Sassy
252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
Iron Thorns

~Leech Seed/Rest
~Stealth Rock
~Gyro ball
~Power Whip

Physical attackers take 25%[i think] every time, and with Nattorei's amazing bulk, it probably won't be dying anytime soon. It's really annoying to face, but it's really fun to use.:L Especially w/ the amount of LO pokes out there.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
latios has great speed and bulk already with the dragon typing

adding specs to it makes it harder to defeat

it's not bad, it's totally viable and really hurts stuff

that's not really a new set as it only changes the item

the only problem running that is shandera, it comes in and ***** your nattorei

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to put ScarfChomp on every team I have until Scarf Lati@s starts getting used more than Specs.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Yeah. Im with Gates. I have always ran scarf on my lati@s since the beginning of Gen V and when it wasn't banned in Gen 4.

The thing already hits like a truck... and I never realized Scarfchomp was such a beast.

Does Fire Fang off of Garchomp kill Nat?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
+0 Defensive Natt puts a good dent in Chomp with Gyro Ball in itself.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Fire Fang also makes contact, which means that Garchomp will take Gyro Ball damage plus an additional 12%.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Enbuoo @ Expert Belt
Reckless / Brave
252 HP / 252 Atk (0 Spe IVs)
~Flare Blitz
~Head Smash
~Wild Bolt
~Superpower

I know this isn't an original moveset but my god this guy demolishes nearly everything in its path under Trick Room.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Set that makes half of the /tr/ server butthurt from a 5-0

Donphan@Shell Bell
Lv 001
Adamant/Sturdy
252 att
Endeavor
Ice Shard
Knock Off
Flail

Basically FEAR on roids. Slow so it counters other FEAR. Ice shard for the KO after Endeavoring. Knock Off for those pesky leftovers (if you werent smart to use a toxic spikes lead before sending him out anyway)
Flail as a filler move because I cant think of anything.

Has alot of counters, but still fun to use, lol.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Why would I use Donphan over something that is immune to Toxic and Toxic Spikes, like Aron or Probopass?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'd just like to mention that set is illegal because the lowest leveled Donphan are at level 25.

Top Bottom