• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

Rykard

Smash Ace
Golbat @ Evolution Stone
Ability: Inner Focus
Bold Nature
EVs: 248 HP/128 Def/132 SpD
-Super Fang
-Fly/Air Slash
-Toxic
-Roost

With the Evo stone you have over 300 in both defenses which lets you take hits extremely well and it's typing allows you to pretty much counter any fighting type pokemon that isn't medicham/gallade for stab psychic moves or terakion cause of it's stab rock moves. You are also pretty quick naturally too so you don't have to worry about stone edges coming from slower fighting types like roobushin and machamp cause you can just roost and lose your flying typing before they hit you. everything else will take a super fang and toxic barring it isn't ghost and/or steel/poison respectively.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Crobat doesn't gain any defensive boosts from Evolution Stone, as Crobat is a final stage Pokemon in his respective evolution change. Do you mean Golbat?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
So I playtested that Tangela and it works wonders vs. offensive Sand and any non-SD boosting attackers. The only sand sweeper it struggles with is SDChomp, as its +2 Outrage is a bit too much for it to reliably handle. Similarly, it struggles with most Dragon Dancing Dragons, though it can stun spore and switch out of non-mixed ones, as it can tank even a +2 LO Outrage from Onono. It can't take special hits (but it can do a decent job with Garchomp's fire blast/ttar's flamethrower). In particular, it's a solid Roobushin counter, no matter what set it runs. Too bad it can't run Worry Seed to **** up Rankurusu that love to come in on it and escape shandera in DW if it switches in carelessly, but you can't have everything, I guess...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Murkrow @ Evolution Stone
Mischievous Heart / Sassy
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Perish Song
Mean Look
Roost
FeatherDance

If you know about B/W Murkrow, this isn't really anything out of the ordinary. I saw the OU toxic stall set and replaced toxic/sub with song/look.
With Evolution Stone and FeatherDance, it has ridiculous physical bulk.
Because of it's ability, every move has priority.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
seems like it could work and since you have mean look, you can use featherdance

still seems iffy since murkrow doesn't actually have good defensive stats to begin with

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think the reasoning behind HP / SpDef is that FeatherDance covers you physically. At any rate, it's be better to go 252 HP / X Def / Y SpDef than 252 Def / 252 SpDef, because Murkrow's base HP is pretty low. For example, Gen IV Ubers WishBliss runs 252 Def / 252 SpDef because her HP is so god damn high, dumping EVs into it is less effective.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Besides the obvious Porygon2/Dusknoir who else uses Prevo Stone well?

I think the Murkrow set is pretty gimicky tbh. I guess when Murkrow does come in on something that doesn't threaten it it will have good odds of working because of Mischievous Heart.

Would something like Scyther work well?
With Prevo Stone and Roost it would have insane bulk for a Swords Dance user. It's defenses would get close to 300 each without investment which is crazy, and the Base 110 Atk/105 Speed are both very good.
It's typing basically forces Rapid Spin support though. If it wasn't for Rock Scyther would have pretty good typing, given a 4x resist on Fighting and Grass, and immunity to Ground/Spikes/Toxic Spikes are all good. It has some common weaknesses, but they are also all pretty easy to cover at the same time. Fighting/Ground types are everywhere and grass is pretty common so there's room to come in easily. Even coming in on a neutral attack should be fairly easy and you can Roost off damage as well.

Scyther @ Pre Evolution Stone
Jolly/Technician
EVs: 252 Atk 252 Speed 4 Def
- Roost/Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite/Brick Break

I figure that Roost might not be totally necessary, so priority might be the better choice.
Aerial Ace is actually really nice. I don't know how many times I hear "It's weak to flying, but nobody really runs flying moves" but it's a pretty common phrase to get thrown around. Except Gliscor with Acrobat that's pretty true. It also deserves mention when it comes to things like Sand Veil hax. Bug Bite is good for STAB, but Brick Break seems more useful for coverage. More investment into defenses could be possible, might be needed given some damage calcs to show exactly how bulky it is.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Scyther has ****ty type coverage, works better with Life Orb, and has ****ty typing for a defensive Swords Dancer. Instead of trying to be bulky and get two Swords Dances, I'd rather use something that can hit almost as hard after one Swords Dance or whatever.

Rykard

Smash Ace
electabuzz with the evo stone is good too. it has higher base speed than electivire and will have significantly better defense than it as well. Plus, all you need is one turn of set up with Meditate to essentially be electivire anyways but better in every single area except for HP with the Evo stone

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Electabuzz suffers from Electivire syndrome, which I just made up, it's synonymous with "useless piece of ****"

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
electabuzz with the evo stone is good too. it has higher base speed than electivire and will have significantly better defense than it as well. Plus, all you need is one turn of set up with Meditate to essentially be electivire anyways but better in every single area except for HP with the Evo stone
Did I miss the part where Meditate is actually viable or is this fellow just spewing bull**** everywhere.

Electivire wasn't used like, ever for a reason. An even weaker version will not get you anywhere.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Volbeat @ Leftovers/Pinch Berry
252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Careful / Mischievous Heart

Substitute
Tail Glow
Baton Pass
Encore/Thunder Wave

umad?

this is an awesome set and i will be :mad: if you don't respect it

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
Volbeat looks absolutely infuriating for the opponent! I'd use Encore over Twave. Also, I noticed it's primarily EVd in Special Defense, how does it stand up to strong Bullet Punch/Aqua Jet/Quick Attacks?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
It can baton pass out of most priority, keep that in mind.

Special defense is its natural strength, but you could obviously give it stats however you wanted, as it doesn't need any offense at all. Physical defense would let it take Extremespeed users on, but those aren't very common in OU. Ubers is a different case, but why would you use this little guy in Ubers unless it was just for fun?

Edit: If you go 252/252 bold it can survive a +2 Normal Arceus Extremespeed.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Did I miss the part where Meditate is actually viable or is this fellow just spewing bull**** everywhere.

Electivire wasn't used like, ever for a reason. An even weaker version will not get you anywhere.
I made a team that was weak to Electivire once. trufax.

Granted, it was only weak to it because it consisted entirely of glass cannons and Jolteon was on the team. But no one ever used the right Electivire set so they still all died a painful death just like they ****ing should.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Lots of gen IV OU teams could afford to be weak to Electivire for the same reason that lots of teams could afford to be weak to Rock Polish Torterra. Both are so rarely used that it's not that big of a deal.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

Ulgamoth @ Chesto Berry
Flame Body / Bold
4 Sp Def / 252 Def / 252 HP
~Rest
~Butterfly Dance
~Flame Dance
~Bug Buzz

It's so easy to setup with this guy and sweep it's not even funny (even after 50% SR damage). After scouting the opponents team for a bit to look out for anything that might have a Rock move, come in on nearly ANY special attacker (including Heatran), Nattorei, and a few others, let them **** with you while you get as many BD's in as possible, then right when they think you're dead just rest off the status/damage and sweep the team.

Got 2 easy 6-0's with this guy in about half an hour. It's ridiculously fun to use too.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If your goal is to get a ****ton of Butterfly dances why not run Flamethrower for more power since the +SpA is negligible now?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I was thinking the opposite that since I'm getting so many BD's in the 5 Base Power difference over Bug Buzz wouldn't make much of a difference and the extra Sp Atk boosts might be worth it.

Flamethrower would be the superior choice I agree but so far I haven't been in a situation yet where the extra power over Bug Buzz would have made a difference since I'm always getting so many boosts. But there were a couple of times where the Sp Atk boost was nice.

I would never use this guy competitively but it's just for fun. You're handing your opponent an easy victory if your opponent lets you set up on purpose and then sends out Ditto. Its happened a little too often.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
That still doesn't have enough power to muscle through evo chansey though :(

now I gotta think of a useless set that only has a very specific utility so that i feel better about my criticism that it can't muscle through the absolute best special wall in the game

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Gochizeru can. I lost to one after it removed my evo chansey by using a CM+Rest set then swept me with another special sweeper. I think that thing should be OU but it never will be. lol.

Gochizeru @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def (0 Spe)
Quiet / Shadow Tag

Calm Mind
Psycho Shock
Rest
Hidden Power Fire/Fighting / Thunderbolt

Beats evo chansey, blissey, choice of hidden power lets you hit other stuff too, tbolt gives nice neutral coverage. It isn't meant to sweep, but to just deal with annoying crap. It has minimum speed to better deal with Nattorei's Gyro Ball.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Rankurusu@Life Orb
Magic Guard / Bold
252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 Sp. Def
~Calm Mind
~Psychic
~Focus Blast
~Recover

Besides getting stopped by Bliss and Chansey, this thing is so good. It can come in on stuff like Nattorei's Leech seed and start setting up. After one or two CMs it's really hard to take down and will be able to hit really hard. Plus no LO recoil is fun :)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Alternatively, you can run Psycho Shock in place of Psychic to pass Blissey after a couple Calm Minds.

Edit - Raknurusu gets Psycho Shock, right?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yes it does, and I would suggest it over Psychic.

I like that set it's pretty much Calm Mind Suicune with recovery. Might try it sometime.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I tried psycho shock, but since I haven't been seeing a ton of Blissey (and almost everyone else on my team attacks physically), Psychic has seemed to work a lot better. Either way, it's not like Bliss can do anything to you, and at +6 psychic will beat bliss after some sp. def drops (or focus blast). Magic Guard is too good.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Snorlax @ Sitrus Berry / Ganlon Berry
252 Atk/252 SpDef/4 Def (0 Spe)
Brave / Thick Fat(Gluttony)

Belly Drum
Return
Crunch
Earthquake/Brick Break

trick room. has decent synergy with slowbro. doesn't work vs. breloom/roob/mach punchers (but those can be trapped by gochizeru). any other priority he takes like a champ. can run some physical defense since his spdef is already pretty good, and with a ganlon berry he can survive a lot of physical priority that isn't super effective. Gluttony lets him use a pinch berry with belly drum, and sitrus is a decent use of that. Ganlon boosts defense, though he can't make use of many other boosts.

Riddle

Smash Lord
The point of Psycho Shock is to beat other calm minders, since it bypasses their boosts while using yours.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
Torkoal@Lefties
252hp/56att/120def/80Sp. def
Relaxed/White smoke

-Lava plume
-Curse
-Gyro ball
-rest

People don't give Torkoal enough credit, he is pretty good at what he does. He can kill a scizor and beat out a skormory or registeel.

ss118

Smash Master
I'd rather use Flareon.

Flareon @ Leftovers
Flash Fire: Careful
252 HP, 252 Sp. Defense, 4 Defense
Fire Fang
Curse
Wish/ Rest
Protect/ Sleep Talk

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'd rather use Flamethrower. It's not like you're getting past Heatran with Bug Buzz anyways.

Also Flame Body would probably be better on a Curse Flareon.

Top Bottom