• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Level 25 is still pretty damn low. It won't work against other FEAR but it
ll still be good as a FEAR user.

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
Has anyone attempted Agility Drapion? EVs are tentative.

Drapion@Leftovers
Impish/Careful
252 HP, 188 Sp.D., 4 Def., 72 Spd.
Battle Armor

-Agility
-Taunt
-Crunch
-Toxic Spikes

Or pull a Kingler and:

Drapion@Life Orb
252 Atk, 160 HP, 98 Spd.

-Agility
-Swords Dance
-Crunch
-Cross Poison/Earthquake

Unfortunately Drapion doesn't get good two-move type coverage for the second set.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
It's pretty defensive and naturally fast, so maybe an Agility+Toxic set would work well in UU?
Depends on what he runs in the last two slots. He'll almost definitely need Earthquake for Registeel, but I don't quite know how well unboosted unSTAB Earthquake does for Drapion. In that scenario Swords Dance might work better, but I'm not too sure.

Everyone's claimed Drapion as a staple or semistaple UU Pokemon during Generation IV but I've never really seen him at all. IDK =\

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure you'd need an SD or two to take down Registeel.
Looking back on the set, I realized that the whole point of the defensive one was a quick Toxic Spiker (I'm pretty sure I accidentally deleted it). I'm editing that in the last slot for future reference.

Embarrassing!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Special sponge / Doryuzu Partner Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
216 S.def/40 Atk / 252 HP
Sassy (+S.def -Spe)
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-SuperPower
-Pursuit

Bait's Dory's counters (gliscor, skarm, etc.) and kills with super effective moves. Despite the lack of offensive EVs, it still ***** Shandera and other pokemon weak to Pursuit. Still not sure if I should use hippo or not, but this thing sponges special moves verryyyy well. Sand Storm SpD buff + it's already good stats is too gay.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
using ttar as a special sponge is okay, he's just A LOT better as an offensive powerhouse

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
Special sponge / Doryuzu Partner Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
216 S.def/40 Atk / 252 HP
Sassy (+S.def -Spe)
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-SuperPower
-Pursuit

Bait's Dory's counters (gliscor, skarm, etc.) and kills with super effective moves. Despite the lack of offensive EVs, it still ***** Shandera and other pokemon weak to Pursuit. Still not sure if I should use hippo or not, but this thing sponges special moves verryyyy well. Sand Storm SpD buff + it's already good stats is too gay.
You really might want to try some Special Attack EVs if your aim is to outright kill Skarmory and other walls that might be more specially defensive. As a special sponge that set looks wonderful, but I'm not sure if it can perform both of those jobs.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Skarm will never be OHKO'd by a fire attack anyway because of Sturdy, and it outspeeds this build which always gives him time to Roost. Superpower also doesn't do much, even if it's grounded.

Still, Fire Blast is unreliable and easy to PP stall. 40 SpA instead of Atk and Flamethrower will work just as well, if not better.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
complete theorymon right here but this could work:

Ampharos @ Leftovers
Static / Quiet
252 HP/ 82 SpA / 176 SpD
0 Spe IV
Electra Ball
Toxic
HP Grass
Focus Blast

Electra Ball gets stronger depending on how much faster the opposing pokemon is and ampharos is the slowest pokemon who learns it, so it can work, just ampharos has a horrible moveset

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
1. You don't know what Electra Ball does
2. Ampharos doesn't have a special attack stat

Gates

Banned via Warnings
That's actually not how Elecball works. Elecball gets less powerful the faster your opponent is compared to you, meaning that Ampharos will rarely have more than 60 BP with the move.

Elecball would be a lot better if it were just a complete clone of Gyro Ball, but unfortunately it's not.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You know I just realized Electric got a lot of moves this gen that are just worse counterparts to moves from previous gens.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
wow, i completely read the description wrong

it wouldn't be that bad on electrode or jolteon, it's probably still better to run tbolt over it due to consistancy

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
2. Ampharos doesn't have a special attack stat
Base 115 spA is more then solid lol
You know I just realized Electric got a lot of moves this gen that are just worse counterparts to moves from previous gens.
VOLT CHANGEEEEEE

And I guess charge is slightly more usable now with the spD buff. Some Zapdos try to stall with it, still isn't a good a idea though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I just realized Ampharos has a special attacking stat. I don't know what I thought it was mostly a physical attacker. Probably got it confused with physically bulky.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
VOLT CHANGEEEEEE

And I guess charge is slightly more usable now with the spD buff. Some Zapdos try to stall with it, still isn't a good a idea though.
Volt Change addressed later.

Charge had the Sp. Def. raise since Diamond / Pearl. lol

Exactly. Volt Change certainly is nice, but U-Turn is so much better. U-Turn has a massive distribution and isn't shut down by Ground-types.

Edit - Not to mention all Volt Absorb / Lightningrod Pokemon out there.

I just realized Ampharos has a special attacking stat. I don't know what I thought it was mostly a physical attacker. Probably got it confused with physically bulky.
Especially with that Cotton Guard. +3 Defense is pretty unique anyway.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
But Volt Change is Special and "has stab". Scizor is pretty much the only thing that leaves a good dent with U-Turn.
I would rather use Volt Change than U-Turn on a Zapdos.
Edit - Not to mention all Volt Absorb / Lightningrod Pokemon out there.
You mean just Zapdos lol
115 SpA = add choice specs, spam stab move.
55 Spe = add choice scarf, spam stab move.

/OU style play
Well, I meant how Ampharos' SpA is higher/equal then others but these other pokemon can still leave a nice dent. Ex. Kingdra, Nite, Ttar, Vap, Shaymin, Starmie, Nape, Rotom, etc.
Wave saying "Ampharos doesn't have a special attack stat" didn't make any sense to me; maybe he meant speed.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I tried playing Volt Change on Specs Jolteon but it's so risky for whatever benefit you get from STAB Volt Change. I use Baton Pass now because I like the guaranteed switch more than the power.

Dory, Garchomp, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Landlos, and all the other stupid amounts of ground types that see play, other Jolteon, Zapdos, Raiku, Porygon2, and eventually Eccentric Ditto (against Jolteon, Raikou, and Zapdos). That's a big list of relevant threats that all get a free switch because you want to try Volt Change.

I hated giving Dory, Chomp, or Landlos a free Swords Dance, so Baton Pass just worked out better.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
But Volt Change is Special and "has stab". Scizor is pretty much the only thing that leaves a good dent with U-Turn.
But the point of U-Turn and Volt Change is not to dent enemies. It's to scout and offer switch momentum for your team. Having STAB on Volt Change doesn't help when some of the best Pokemon in the game can switch in for free and shut you down completely.

NJzFinest said:
I would rather use Volt Change than U-Turn on a Zapdos.
That's only because Zapdos has both.

NJzFinest said:
You mean just Zapdos lol
This is so horribly wrong. Lanturn, Zapdos, Jolteon, Seaking, Doryuuzu, Garchomp, Flygon, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Randorosu...

When any of these Pokemon can switch in and stop you cold, it's telling you something.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I hated giving Dory, Chomp, or Landlos a free Swords Dance, so Baton Pass just worked out better.
With Jolt, I agree having BPass over Volt Change. There isn't any move in Jolt's typical moveset that they would be worried about switching into except a rare HP ice.
But the point of U-Turn and Volt Change is not to dent enemies. It's to scout and offer switch momentum for your team. Having STAB on Volt Change doesn't help when some of the best Pokemon in the game can switch in for free and shut you down completely.
I know the point, but why not try to dent, like CB Scizor. This of course only applies to pokemon that can learn both btw.

vvvvv
That's only because Zapdos has both.
^^^^
Yes, which makes it a perfect example. Other pokemon you may slap on U-turn because it only learns U-turn and vice versa.

I was testing U-Turn vs Volt Change recently on a special attacking lead Mew set. So far, it's much better then the Gen4 uber lead, especially with the Drizzle Toads running around.
This is so horribly wrong. Lanturn, Zapdos, Jolteon, Seaking, Doryuuzu, Garchomp, Flygon, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Randorosu...
Lol, ground types are obvious. As for electric types, statistics show it's just Zapdos.
When any of these Pokemon can switch in and stop you cold, it's telling you something.
To take Tbolt off of every pokemon in your party?

Someone said electric got nothing this gen. Volt Change is something, even if it's only nice for more versatile pokemon like Mew.

M.K

Level 55
So I was watching a Youtube 5th Generation battle and this is the set they used to dominate:

@ (Not Sure)
252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 6 ??
Inconsistent/Modest
-Submerge
-Energy Ball
-Substitute
-Protect

The strategy they used was to Submerge, changing the enemy's type to Water, then hit with Energy Balls powered up by whatever stats are changed by Inconsistent.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
252 Speed seems unnecessary. You'll probably never get to +6, and you need all the bulk you can get to live hits while you Submerge opponents. 252 HP seems like a better idea.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
The speed would help with setup. The more speed you have the better, especially when you have the chance to throw up a sub vs. slower walls first. The actual moves though, I disagree with. Gotta go surf+toxic or surf+energy ball.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If you're not running Submerge / Energy Ball, you might as well go with Bibarel and spam Dive.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Mudquaza was running Leftovers for Octillery's item.

Energy Ball has such poor coverage. I agree with Kirbyraeg and Wave in that if you're running Submerge/Energy Ball, better options exist but for Octillery, Submerge/Energy Ball might give you your best shot.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, leftovers is always the best item, regardless of the spec.

If you don't want to be mainstream, you can play around with Brightpowder.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I propose something ridiculous.

The best physical wall of all time. Great vs. sandstorm in particular! (wall of calcs inbound, you have been warned)

Tangela @ Evolution Stone
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Bold / Regeneration

Stun Spore
Toxic/Sleep Powder
Leech Seed/Knock Off
Grass Knot/Giga Drain

Status is always helpful, and Tangela is one of the best at it with its amazing physical bulk.

Here are some jaw-dropping calcs:

+2 LO Doryuuzu Earthquake(Rock Slide): 95 - 112 (28.44% - 33.53%)
+2 LO Doryuuzu X-Scissor: 204 - 240 (61.08% - 71.86%)
+2 Garchomp Outrage: 171 - 202 (51.20% - 60.48%)
+1 DDTar Stone Edge: 109 - 130 (32.63% - 38.92%)
+1 Roobushin Drain Punch: 93 - 111 (27.84% - 33.23%)
CB Sand Power Landlos Earthquake: 67 - 80 (20.06% - 23.95%)
CB Sand Power Landlos Stone Edge: 90 - 107 (26.95% - 32.04%)
+2 Iwaparesu X-scissor: 186 - 218 (55.69% - 65.27%)
+2 LO Breloom Drain Punch: 139 - 165 (41.62% - 49.40%)
+2 Adamant LO Ononokusu Outrage: 267 - 315 (79.94% - 94.31%) (mostly for emphasis lol)

For some super effective hits against it:
CB Scizor U-turn: 168 - 198 (50.30% - 59.28%)
LO Blaziken Flare Blitz: 234 - 276 (70.06% - 82.63%)
Flight Jewel Aaekosu Acrobat: 252 - 296 (75.45% - 88.62%)
Victini V-Generate (when it happens lol): 236 - 278 (70.66% - 83.23%)
Adamant Encourage Hihidaruma Flare Blitz: 258 - 306 (77.25% - 91.62%)

The beauty of all this is its ability Regeneration. It can come in, status/seed any sandstorm sweeper, then switch out or stall accordingly. Keeping it away from Shandera in DW is a must, but I think this can singlehandedly stall out WiFi Sandstorm. Paralyzing ground types is something unique Tangela can do, but running other status moves is still good on it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think you said it yourself - with Shandera around, this thing isn't going to be used much at all. In fact any special attacker with a fire or ice move can come in and wreck this. Shaymin-S can Air Slash it to death too. It seems like you have to rely heavily on prediction and Stun Spore for this set to work.

Still, it's an interesting idea and if you can avoid Shandera somehow then it'll work really well.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I gotta try this set in wifi...it's balls at taking special moves all around, but this might see use on a stall team. Along with Chansey/other special walls.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
What.

Why isn't there a rule against untested sets?
There really should be, but there isn't. Hence, I go making bad ideas sound like good ones. It's great fun, you should try it too. :awesome:

(there's also the small problem that i'm not very good at making stall/defensive teams and i don't want to really admit that)

Rykard

Smash Ace
Noctowl @ Leftovers/Flame Orb
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
Calm/Careful Nature
Insomnia

~Feather dance/Psycho Shift
~Night Shade
~Toxic/Whirlwind/protect
~Roost

Basically Noctowl is known for being a special defensive wall but not able to take physical hits so this set lets it halve the attack of you opponent with feather dance or psyco shifting a burn over to allow it to take those hits better on top of maintaining its special bulk. Then you just stall out with toxic (if not shifting the burn) or protect, roost, and night shade for consistent damage. You could also whirlwind stuff out if going with the flame orb set as well if you want

Top Bottom