• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Falcon Thread

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
^Good call, hmmm... I bet he gave up on moderating because, y'know, he doesn't come here very much.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Black Mantis (assuming you're the Falcon):

[*]You're focing too much around the Knee of Justice in those matches. Only use the knee if you're punishing or trying to KO after 80%. If you're using it offstage, there's flubbed knee options and setups that you could use too.

[*] Don't use Falcon Kick unless you're certain that Falcon will go off the ledge so you can autocancel it into something else.

[*] Don't use Down Tilt. Too much cooldown time to even be considered remotely safe.

[*] There are grab release options on Ness that you could have been using in that match. If you don't know about them already, practice and utilize them.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Black Mantis (assuming you're the Falcon):
[*] Don't use Down Tilt. Too much cooldown time to even be considered remotely safe.
What? Using Down Tilt is all about the attack's reach. Plus, it comes out fast enough. The cooldown time is minimal compared to lots of other attacks.

I use Down Tilt all the time and the key is surprising your opponent. If they think they're out of Falcon's immediate reach, they won't shield. But they always forget down tilt (if you don't spam it, that is).

/opinion

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
There's much safer options that have extended reach. If someone manages to shield your Dtilt, you're more than likely going to get punished for it (Against a good player).

I mean, variety is nice and it might be able to get you a hit in, but when push comes to shove in a match-up, you want to use the most effective tools Falcon has to pressure and punish. Dtilt definitely has the short end of the stick there.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Excuse my interruption, would f-tilt angled down be better regarding risk/reward? Thoughts on f-tilt angled up as an anti air? Thanks.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Up angled Ftilt is a good anti air but hits in a very specific area so it's not easy to use.

Down angled Ftilt lacks the range of Dtilt.
All in all Dtil, Ftilt and Utilt have all the same horizontal range, but the interesting thing is that they have different timing and effects on your hurtbox, I personnally like a lot how Dtilt reaches as far as Ftilt but makes you avoid high hits, or how the little drawback on Utilt can be used to outspace people.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
They all have their uses. Down-F-tilt is very good for locking some characters in their "lying down" stance. Up-F-tilt is good for anti-air, specially when your opponent is returning to the ledge. Horizontal F-tilt is the Bouncer kick, you're awesome if you KO someone with it :p

D-Tilt has amazing range, and if it hits it lifts up your opponent. Useful for setting up an Uair.

U-tilt (the Axe) is very good mainly because it's one of the few attacks Falcon has that is actually disjointed. As teluo said, outspacing people with it is actually pretty easy when they don't know what's happening and they don't have projectiles. It's also an AMAZING edgeguarder.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone, u-tilt (MO) is Falcon's most useful anti air (only setback is his start-up frames which requires reading) to land.

The f-tilt angled up concept was stolen from Mario (even though that's not his best anti air (u-smash, those who didn't know)). From experience, only way I see f-tilt angled up landing is from linear approaches.

U-tilt currently is the best option regarding edge guarding (d-smash when edge guarding covers shield (non-power), jump, get up, roll, get up attack (character dependent), free fall or fast fall (custom recoveries), etc).

I've been putting thought into pivoted Falcon Kick, U-air & f-air when edge guarding but there's still adjustments to be made. Main point is how to cover while limiting your opponent in any/every way possible.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Don't ever use Falcon Kick.

Downward Ftilt isn't a bad move. I rarely used the upward ftilt outside of trolling because I *think* the frames are longer than the downward tilted ones; and it didn't prove too useful. Utilt was more convenient in situations. Charging up a downsmash is pretty boss for anti-airs too, because most characters come at you from an angle in the air, not directly above you. There are some exceptions like Ganondorf, but chances are, it's going to be a horizontal ranged aerial moreso than a vertical one. Downsmash is like a life insurance policy if you can predict what they're going to do.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You think wrong look at the frame data thread.
And the use of up angled Ftilt is that it is your fastest anti air.
Utilt and Dsmash have amazing range but they're slow as ****,so the less predictable your opponent is, the less useful they are.

And I wouldn't say never to Falcon kick, rather never at low %.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, I was wrong on that. Never claimed it to be definite, which is why I said "*think*". It's more useful than the normal Ftilt-- but the same as the downward tilted one in terms of duration.

As for it being useful? Sure, there's match-ups that it could work pretty well in. Hits on frames 9-11, which isn't bad unless we're talking about terrorist attacks -- which we are. I still think there's better options, but if you really want to use the Ftilt as an anti-air, I say go for it. It's got some nice range and speed compared to the other attacks and can help prevent your moves from staling-- but you have to watch out for a lot of characters with disjointed aerials.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
And I wouldn't say never to Falcon kick, rather never at low %.
This. Also, don't use it very often, otherwise your opponent will see it coming and will shield/air-dodge. Which is very, very bad.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
I need a lot of help on this matchup. I use to hate this matchup, but now since I play like 6 straight set, I learn to enjoy the matchup. YES! :) So any inputs will help to get better at the Falco matchup. For some reason I find this matchup almost as fun as Wario ^_^ Must learn the mu.

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_F3O-i5ak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv74ddN-SQ
http://www.youtube.com/user/FloridaMeister#p/u/25/e7T6WGV2uKA

We did a lot of sets and all of them were recored. By just watching them I learn a lot of stuff I did wrong, but I need more critique.

Examples: Bad habit in the matchup, what move I over use, what I can do better.
At least I learn to like the matchup. :)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Use more Bair. Don't stay too long in Falco's close range zone.
Rest I dunno, I'll watch more later.

Also that Falco doesn't know how to use his Bair lmao.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, Bair is your best friend in the Falco match-up. Even if it means staling it, it's easily one of the best options we have against Falco.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Those vids bring me back memories of my matches with King Funk, haha... Not exactly good memories :p

I was impressed by that Falco's jabbing, by the way. You should learn from him! Use jab follow-ups more often:

Jab - Grab
Jab - Shield - Grab
etc etc

PZ

Smash Lord
Needs more dsmash

Work on your DI cuz your dieing rather early.

More nair cancels to jabs and utilt recommended much spammage against ics but i give you credit on not giving up when you got fair spiked.

If you clank with snake I dont think its a good idea to even start clanking but just get out of there or shield lol

Jab him if he uses second ftilt and your close enough or buffer a sh uair or oos. If snake spaces well you could try utilt. Dash attacks work well for punishes at high percents but low meh.

Buffer your dash attacks if you try to punish snake's tilts otherwise he will just perfect shield.

Overall very nice LF you seem to be at the top of your game at the time.

Yami 2b

Smash Apprentice
It was 2 months ago, he's now playing Falco :3

GJ on these results Kilu, all I'll have to say because I only watched the WF is don't run into ROB's random Nairs, that's why you lost.

Else Bair more.

(telu)

PZ

Smash Lord
Yea I agree with yami you just eat them nairs lol

After watching the gf just now you ate so many nairs n occasionally bairs but besides that nearly perfect. Of course there were some moments where punishing became an issue such as your dash attack attempts at punishing rob or using uair or nair at the right situations.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Mexican tiers I'd guess, lol.

On a very VERY quick note: you need to falcon punch less often. Also, moar bair.

But you have got the necessary reflexes at least, that was a nice ditto match.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
ohh no falcon top lows tier xD i mean the best player with a low tier, use Falcon.
sorry for my english xDD is like ganon... tooo bad

Lionman

Smash Champion
Falcon in mid is bad, Falcon is a character who can do great in low tier tourneys, in mid he has no sense because he cant be in low tier tourneys

Top Bottom