• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate mah Ness PLZ! =P

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Once again a subpar opponent...

Too much PSI Fire. It should be used more sparingly than Lucas', as Ness gets punished more for a whiffed Fire. Also, punish a successful Fire with down throw sometimes, it chains well into other moves. I saw like no PSI Thunder. Use it. It's good for air juggling and getting that extra % at long range. Use Forward Air more, it's an excellent attack. It disrupts your opponent's movements; just make sure to retreat it so as not to get shieldgrabbed. Great PSI Furashu edgeguard, I want more Nesses to like PK Flash...

It might sound odd, but... it looks like you were playing Lucas... with Ness. Does that make sense?

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
OMG, you killed with PK Flash, use utilt, double dair spike, and a good PKT2 kill.
Your Ness wins. :DDDD

BTW Is this an online match?

Wait, lemme edit this message, I was supposed to space and it posted the message. Anyone know how to stop this...... It's incredibly annoying.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Once again a subpar opponent...

Too much PSI Fire. It should be used more sparingly than Lucas', as Ness gets punished more for a whiffed Fire. Also, punish a successful Fire with down throw sometimes, it chains well into other moves. I saw like no PSI Thunder. Use it. It's good for air juggling and getting that extra % at long range. Use Forward Air more, it's an excellent attack. It disrupts your opponent's movements; just make sure to retreat it so as not to get shieldgrabbed. Great PSI Furashu edgeguard, I want more Nesses to like PK Flash...

It might sound odd, but... it looks like you were playing Lucas... with Ness. Does that make sense?
Yeah, I get it. I don't wanna do that though cuz that can mess up my Ness...

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
I really couldn't give an accurate critique at the moment, I'd need to see more videos from you against other players on other stages as 2 minutes of footage probably doesn't display all of your playstyle.

However, from what I saw I did notice the complete lack of fair and bair. Fair is great for approaching and racking up damage, bair is a great kill move at higher percents if sweetspotted. I did notice you try to pull off a backthrow kill but since your opponent was at 85 it wasn't successful. I generally wait til 120ish on midweights and 140ish on heavyweights to KO with bthrow. It also depends on where you are on the stage but I use those percents as a general rule of thumb.

I'd have to agree with Neon Ness about the use PSi Fire. Though I realize you were using it to punish a few times, a perfect shielded or whiffed fire can cause you mass amounts of pain. You also used psi fire offensively which isn't good since there are other options that are more profitable. Try to make it so that it's a more defensive move, one way you can do this is by picking up b-sticking.

Uffe

Smash Hero
PK = Psychokinesis
PSI = Pee Ess Eye

Both can be viewed as the same thing. Basically both have something to do with psychic abilities. Of course in the first EarthBound game, they went with PK. The one that came to the US went with PSI. Either way, you see both used in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl. Oddly enough, they called it Psychic Magnet in the first Smash game.

Masky

Smash Master
I'm bored so I'll give you some advice... never bthrow if it's not going to kill, abuse fair on opponents who have no way to get around it (like captain falcon), use sh dair when you predict a horizontal ground attack, always grab and dthrow into the fire for extra damage if you manage to hit with pk fire, at 0:25 you should have used nair then followed up with fair or bair instead of just using uair, if your opponent messes up like a whiffed side-b from Captain Falcon always grab them with Ness since grabbing is Ness's best quick punishment option maybe tied with a dair, don't use fsmash or dsmash, don't use pk fire if the opponent is coming towards you, watch videos of good Nesses and copy what they do (oh wait there are no videos like that...), find a better opponent.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thanks guys, that is REALLY gonna help me out....and, and Uffe, you know me on AiB. Thanks for your "help" too.
I know you? O_o Look, I'd be more than happy to help if you were fighting someone who actually stood a chance. It's kind of hard to determine what you need help on if your opponent can't at least take one stock from you.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
I know you? O_o Look, I'd be more than happy to help if you were fighting someone who actually stood a chance. It's kind of hard to determine what you need help on if your opponent can't at least take one stock from you.
Yeah, remember me on AiB? Yoshi-Kirby, PSI Yoshi, Plasma Puffball.

OH, and I'm putting a new vid of a MUCH better opponent up.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Alright before critiquing the individual rounds I'll go with a few problems I noticed in general.

Seems like you have some issues recovering. There were a couple of times where you used your double jump incorrectly and others were you didn't use it at all and went straight for PKT2. When using your double jump to recover use it so that you get the full amount distance. I saw at one point you used your double jump then in the middle of it you cut off the remaining distance you could have gotten by going into PKT2 too early.
I noticed you also have a habit of using your double jump early. Though you can rely on this from time to time its generally safer to save your double jump until you need it. This is because if an opponent intercepts or spikes you, you still have a double jump to meteor cancel with or make it back safely instead of only having PKT2 left.

Second I noticed that when your going for something you tend to spam it until it hits or you get hit. If you continue this behavior you run the risk of becoming extremely predictable. The metaknight matches showed this weakness the most. You would do PKT when he was up in the air to rack up damage, yet each time he was getting closer and closer. Once he got next to you, you tried yet another PKT and promptly ate a dsmash because of it. This was only one example the various incidents where you were spamming a move and got punished because of it.

Other than that you seemed to do pretty well. It seems you have trouble flowing from one move to the next but that remedies itself with more practice and use the character.

I'll edit this post with specific things for each round cause it's 5 AM now and I need sleep. :laugh:

paper otavio

Smash Journeyman
You lost the first match?
You could use some more PKF....
Seriously, b sticking, pk jump, etc. are really good techiniques that you can use with it.

Other than that, you have a nice Ness.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I'd agree with comet about the spamming, later on you'll get punished quickly for tactics like that.
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again." is a saying that is not very applicable to brawl, or many fighting games period.

However the comment comet made about the double jumping I can forgive. Occasionally I do that as well to throw my opponent off on how I'm going to recover, but again if you do it too much itll become predictable, and easily punished.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Good Jibakus. Use more dthrow. Learn to control the platforms on Battlefield, maybe less PK Cross.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think you used too much PKF. Though I'm a bit surprised you kept getting the opponent with PKF. Also, don't you mean PK Jump? If that's what you were going for in the video, that's not what you were doing. A PK Jump is when you use your first jump and use PK Fire quickly after your second jump which cancels the full second jump and makes you low enough to hit your opponent with PKF.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Nice DI'ing MK's aerials, don't use PKF so much, & don't recover w/ PKT2 when your high above on the screen use Down-B/ airdodging

Top Bottom