• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Luigi Thread - Zenith, EVO Coming Up!

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I committed some serious nana **** over the weekend. She just loves getting slapped by my fair.

:phone:

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
^ Luigi is surprisingly efficient at destroying nana when she's alone. I found this out the hard way while playing vist and vudujin in friendlies lol

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Here is my first battle on Youtube! Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80vYx8lEWNo

Im the Luigi, Obviously. Tell me how i did. i know i didn't win, but can u tell me?
You're really 12? That's some scary stuff right there, future of the game.

I don't want to nitpick too many things at once but if I was going to isolate a couple of aspects of your game that I think you can easily improve upon, I would highly suggest incorporating wavelanding into your game and improving that wavedash length.

Wavelanding will speed up your game in general and make your luigi much more dynamic. You'll be able to play silly games on platforms have more options off of the ledge.

Lengthening that wavedash will also speed up your weegee and provide the added bonus of stretching the distance your attacks cover when you use them mid-wavedash. Lastly, I notice that you eded up throwing out a lot of down-angled f-tilts which is a pretty garbage move. I think this is probably because your not getting the stick into an optimum horizontal position during your wavedashes. You'll not only get longer wavedashes by ding so but non-angled f-tilts will come much more naturally.

I hope that last section about f-tilts is understandable, it's sort of combining two ideas into one.

Anyway, you've got the basics down, now it's just time to sharpen up that techskill and add stuff like dashdancing and clean up your neutral game (those charged smashes pretty much need to go!)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yay young Luigis! Make sure you're solid on fundamentals like Luigi's recovery (e.g. save his second jump til after missiles and such) and don't be missin' those JC grabs.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I don't want to nitpick too many things at once
Yay young Luigis! Make sure you're solid on fundamentals like Luigi's recovery (e.g. save his second jump til after missiles and such) and don't be missin' those JC grabs.
Thanks for the Advice! Those battles weren't my best. heh :)

Seartu, u didn't nitpick at many things at once. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
Smash God i haven't seen the 2000 generation play, SO I THINK IM THE FIRST!

does anyone else remember me? i think i also saw abate, but i didn't say hi

Edit: Here is my first battle on Youtube! Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80vYx8lEWNo

Im the Luigi, Obviously. Tell me how i did. i know i didn't win, but can u tell me?
hey man, for how long have you been playing? that's actually pretty good. i was surprised you could meteor cancel falcon's dair even with a second jump. you should work on or WL and WD. stop doing stanrindg charged smashes move. and your ftilts game is not bad at all but you should try to do mid-high ftilts. the low ftilt lets them just standing there withougt any knockback and that's not what you want with falcon. one tip with falcon is to DI away his down throws, fthrows, nairs, and utilts. at low percent u can free urself with an utilt right before he hits u wif the followup after his first hit. and you can get your mommentum back of it. keep posting videos we'll help u and keep up the good work.

voodoojin u played rula :D. he told me ur good ^^

knuckleface88

Smash Cadet
I got to play against 3 or 4 of you Luigi mains at Apex (I'm the orange ICs main for anyone who doesn't remember).

That matchup is so much more janky than I thought it'd be, maybe it was just cuz it was my first time playing against Luigi mains, either way it was actually pretty fun. I used to main Luigi back in the day but switched to ICs instead, it's good to see so many people still reppin weegee though.

Good friendlies HammerTime, I would be one of the luigis (TYPO). If you ever get tired of ganging up on ppl 2v1 I suggest you go back to maining luigi. Between my games with you and boback, I felt like I went from 0 IC experience to getting a handle on the matchup pretty quickly. Luigi has a lot of tools to make the matchup favorable, but still I need to play against them more often before I jump to conclusions.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Shoutouts to BluEG!!! from Apex 13. We didn't play, but you seemed pretty chill. I was sitting to your right during WF and Grands!

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
hey man, for how long have you been playing? that's actually pretty good. i was surprised you could meteor cancel falcon's dair even with a second jump. you should work on or WL and WD. stop doing stanrindg charged smashes move. and your ftilts game is not bad at all but you should try to do mid-high ftilts. the low ftilt lets them just standing there withougt any knockback and that's not what you want with falcon. one tip with falcon is to DI away his down throws, fthrows, nairs, and utilts. at low percent u can free urself with an utilt right before he hits u wif the followup after his first hit. and you can get your mommentum back of it. keep posting videos we'll help u and keep up the good work.
Blea Gelo, i have been playing for about 3-4 months, not that long! i learn fast

Vudujin

Smash Lord
U-smash is broken, and I've realized why. . . . .

The Mario's always hit their heads on blocks so it would only make sense that their head butts would have invincibility frames.

If someone's above and coming toward you, just charge that bad boy up.

I was beating Ganon's dair with it yesterday.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
U-smash is broken, and I've realized why. . . . .

The Mario's always hit their heads on blocks so it would only make sense that their head butts would have invincibility frames.

If someone's above and coming toward you, just charge that bad boy up.

I was beating Ganon's dair with it yesterday.
Is it just me or does upsmashing someones shield always get you out of shield grab range?

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Hey vudu, listen i need ur help. Do u have any tips on how to improve my luigi (since i faced u at Apex) revolving around tech skill.

Also do u have tips on facing Peach, Marth, Shiek and Fox?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Ok, so i've been "trying" and I'm pretty good at picking up Mid/low tier characters.. but would I be crazy to say that Luigi, is harder for me to adapt to then Yoshi?

like he jumps higher than MJ, then just parasols on his way down... sooo floaty!... >>;

this is tough >>

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Stay grounded, VMAN!!!! If you randomly jump when you're wavedashing you can get zero to death-ed for it, so try wavedashing down in place after moving around so you make sure your joystick is always down.

As for those MU's that were mentioned, here's some advice that works for all of them. . . .

-Always stay a dash attack's length away.
-Poke or grab combo them to at least 30% before trying to combo them to avoid CC counters.
-If they use an aerial approach use your U-smash to defend.
-Approach with either WD > Dsmash / Jab / Usmash / Utilt / Ftilt once you have the 30%
-Once you start getting approaches to work, they'll shield more often when you wavedash towards them, so mix in some grabs at that point.

I gotta go to work, but I'll say some more about this later.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Agreed @ Vudujin's stuff

vs Sheik, CC and Dsmash at low % to counter Sheik wanting to Dtilt/Ftilt you into stuff. When edgeguarding Sheik, get onto the ledge, wait, and after she UpBs just stand up. If she's at kill % you can Usmash for a kill. If not, Ftilt her back off and repeat til death. This works better if you're <100%.

Vist

Smash Champion
Can anyone throw out some advice for the falco/jiggs match up??
i dont know what to do o.o
Falco:
Long story short, don't get pressured by him and pressure him as much as possible. Falcos can shut you down with lazers and combos, so you need to keep that from happening. Powershield his lasers and try to use them to get the upper hand. Get grabs / combos in whenever possible and don't let up once you do. Also, be careful not to let falco's pressure game make you predictable and easily punishable (i.e. predictable rolls).

Jiggs:
This match-up is actually really good for Luigi. Again, don't let them pressure you too much and try to stay mobile. Usmash kills them real easily, but avoid blindly hitting their shield (even with usmash) because a good Jiggs may be able to punish you with a rest oos. If you get rested and you know you're gonna die from it regardless of DI, do not DI upwards so that you get killed off the side and return to the stage faster to do an up b etc (getting killed off the top with the star ko animation usually means you wont be able to retaliate fast enough).

Vudujin

Smash Lord
If you guys haven't read the thread on the Invisible ceiling glitch with Luigi, then know this. . . .

You can do whatever you want to Puff's shield, get rested out it, and if you're going fast enough you'll get knocked back to the ground. You can react, DI in and down, tech, and then punish.

Food for thought.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
If you could INTENTIONALLY land that in tourney..............

anyone play Luigi:M? I'd been playing a lot of P:M but hadn't been playing Luigi at all, really, and entered a tourney a couple weeks ago. I ended up going just about all Luigi and got 3rd behind 1. Cyrain and 2. Chillin (who switched to Marth from Wolf to beat my Luigi after losing in WB). Luigi:M is basically Melee Luigi but he has a good recovery and you can STORE MISFIRES!

You can also crawl which has its uses.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
If you guys haven't read the thread on the Invisible ceiling glitch with Luigi, then know this. . . .

You can do whatever you want to Puff's shield, get rested out it, and if you're going fast enough you'll get knocked back to the ground. You can react, DI in and down, tech, and then punish.

Food for thought.
I have done this. Smash offa shield is the safest option of all time. Sup Vist, Hey Vuda, how have you guys been?

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Jab and U-tilt are great in that MU. Use the F-tilt, D-smash, and jabs to control the space around you. Make a bubble of hitboxes so Fox can't get in with just being fast. They'll try to use more aerials for approaching like nair and drill to try and get shines on you. If they approach with SH nair then counter with U-smash (same goes for sh drill). If they go for a double jump approach to bait your U-smash after their first jump, then just wait and you can WD back into a D-smash or halted F-smash (halted meaning you WD back and stop into it as opposed to sliding). If you can imagine a clock around Luigi, and him facing right, the knockback will usually send them around 1 or 2 o'clock if they DI strong, and they'll get flung off the stage if they don't at mid to high percents. You can follow up if they DI it. Dash Dance camping can be stopped by throwing out a well spaced nair. If you ever get a lead, and you're at a high percent go crazy with your WD speed and just go psycho on his shield with tilts especially if they're good at reacting out of shield; the invisible ceiling will save you from any fatal knock-back, and you can tech if they don't hound you on the floor. You can keep the ceiling as long as you don't get back on your feet. You'll be seeing Fox's U-smash the most as an OoS response.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Jab and U-tilt are great in that MU. Use the F-tilt, D-smash, and jabs to control the space around you. Make a bubble of hitboxes so Fox can't get in with just being fast. They'll try to use more aerials for approaching like nair and drill to try and get shines on you. If they approach with SH nair then counter with U-smash (same goes for sh drill). If they go for a double jump approach to bait your U-smash after their first jump, then just wait and you can WD back into a D-smash or halted F-smash (halted meaning you WD back and stop into it as opposed to sliding). If you can imagine a clock around Luigi, and him facing right, the knockback will usually send them around 1 or 2 o'clock if they DI strong, and they'll get flung off the stage if they don't at mid to high percents. You can follow up if they DI it. Dash Dance camping can be stopped by throwing out a well spaced nair. If you ever get a lead, and you're at a high percent go crazy with your WD speed and just go psycho on his shield with tilts especially if they're good at reacting out of shield; the invisible ceiling will save you from any fatal knock-back, and you can tech if they don't hound you on the floor. You can keep the ceiling as long as you don't get back on your feet. You'll be seeing Fox's U-smash the most as an OoS response.
Definite to Remember that! Any advice on Marth?

Hey Nicknyte, i saw a match between you and Okami! Dang that comeback in the first match was incredible!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_khnR5vHsz8

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone bothered to master retreating WD Fireball -> FastFall -> Ledgegrab? I feel like it has some potential to be useful as a defensive tool, especially on FD, but I have more experimentation to do.

milistisia2

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone bothered to master retreating WD Fireball -> FastFall -> Ledgegrab? I feel like it has some potential to be useful as a defensive tool, especially on FD, but I have more experimentation to do.
i want to learn it because i feel like the weakest part of the game for luigi is when you're above your enemy. characters with good juggling like marth just destroy you, so the ability to go to the ledge from say a second of safety on the top platform, would be great. obviously you dont want to be at the ledge either, but i feel its safer than being above them.

on a side note, coin spikes are absolutely rediculous. 0% fox, oh i grabbed you at the ledge? down throw > dropzone dair > shoryuken.

if you look at luigi's up-b, the hitbox is rediculously large. if you are in position for the coin spike, do it! it's not that hard to do

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Against Marth:

I find this matchup to be based heavily on beating the player more so than the character. Spot dodge timing in this MU is crucial. Marth is a very rhythm based character; every move of his is him just swinging a sword, which are all kind of predictable. Get them off their groove with a well timed spot dodge and you've got a whole new world of options, mostly grabs. U-throw > chop or whatevs at low % to 40, F-throw > WD f-tilt at 50% to 90, D-throw > WD smash attack at high percents. For the luvva-mike stay on the ground. I cannot stress how important it is to stay grounded. A good Marth WILL kill you if you jump and don't use a really good air dodge or cyclone mind game to get back down. You can actually hurtbox morph with u-air and b-air when you're above him trying to get down. It's pretty tricky, but it's an effective mix-up. WD > shoryuken works if he F-smashes your shield. Recover low with missiles, cyclone high, secure the ledge, then up-b.
The Luigi cyclone has some cool clanking properties in the frame 6 start-up. You can clank with his ground attacks and get frame advantage walk up and get something for free.

On a side note: BOOST GRABBING IS SO MUCH FUN! It's a really cool mix-up after you've done a few WD > grabs.

PicMan

Smash Cadet
what do you mean by "stay groudned"
i understand being on the ground, but what else am i suppose to be doing besides wave dashing out of shield.
i always end up getting pressured and whenever i try something i get punished for it.

Top Bottom