• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Luigi Thread - Zenith, EVO Coming Up!

knuckleface88

Smash Cadet
Hey there luigi players, I have a question for ya. Have we explored the viability of drop canceled nairs as a good combo starter on platforms. I got my friend with a few drop cancel nair to dair combos while we were playing friendlies and then it occurred to me...If i were technical enough to shield drop and combine that with my drop cancel, luigi would have an amazing out of shield option while on platforms. Since luigi nair is the only drop cancel-able move with a pure vertical knockback, combined with luigi's high 1st jump to capitalize on this even on higher percent opponents, i feel luigi is the way to go for exploring the shield drop => drop cancel. Has this been proven unreliable, too technical, or obsolete by other strategies?

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Hey there luigi players, I have a question for ya. Have we explored the viability of drop canceled nairs as a good combo starter on platforms. I got my friend with a few drop cancel nair to dair combos while we were playing friendlies and then it occurred to me...If i were technical enough to shield drop and combine that with my drop cancel, luigi would have an amazing out of shield option while on platforms. Since luigi nair is the only drop cancel-able move with a pure vertical knockback, combined with luigi's high 1st jump to capitalize on this even on higher percent opponents, i feel luigi is the way to go for exploring the shield drop => drop cancel. Has this been proven unreliable, too technical, or obsolete by other strategies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnRG5AQcL8

Its very good. Very underutilized. Not very hard to do either.....definitely room to explore ;)

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
If you can catch your opponent not DIing a drop cancel, then you can chain them together against fast fallers. I've gotten 3/4 in a row multiple times, and then when they do DI just follow up with a fair or dair.

Also, I got a uthrow > uair > misfire combo the other day. Just messing around in a friendly, but it was awesome.

knuckleface88

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I saw some pretty cool uses for the platform cancel in papao's old school combo video, however does shield dropping the platform canceled nair make it even more useful?

Vist

Smash Champion
ty bbs, vist i have to play you again D:
I know man =( I haven't seen you since Pound 4.. I'm trying to go to Zenith and maybe EVO in case you might be at either one :cool:

Thanks for the replies. I saw some pretty cool uses for the platform cancel in papao's old school combo video, however does shield dropping the platform canceled nair make it even more useful?
Hmmm, I'm pretty good at both shield-drops and platform canceled nairs but I have yet to pull off both in the same movement. So far I've just considered it a bit too impractical because the window seems to be extremely small but I'm still trying it out. On a side note, I have been able to do shield-drops into platform-canceled bairs pretty consistently.

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
Also, I've been using Z a lot more especially for aerials. Is that bad?
It's personal preference really. I usually use c-stick, and really only use A for aerials in specific situations. Using the c-stick allows you to do retreating/advancing aerials without sacrificing horizontal movement. So for a retreating fair, you don't have to tilt forward to do it, and can keep retreating for spacing purposes.

Vist

Smash Champion
Yeah, like Artificial Flavor said, c-sticking aerials is a little better since you can separate your movement and attacks (not to mention your DI). It's still a matter of preference.

I use the control stick + a for very specific situations though.

And I don't think it makes a difference which button you use for pummeling ::shrug::

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
beginning to feel like luigi is just helpless in the edge. been playing against Spacies and shiek and they just beat out all of my options. ledge hop aerials, ledge hop down-b, even ledge hop wave- shield. I acknowledge I can mix up my timings differently, but any tips?

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
Against marth and spacies I like to ledge hop air dodge back onto the stage. If you angle it down you can land it almost like a wavedash so there isn't much lag, but you don't slide much if at all. When spaced correctly, you will be able to dodge an fsmash from marth or a spacie and land at their feet and punish the lag on their moves.

Some other options are using the jump off the ledge and di-ing back to avoid an attack, then waveland towards them.

If they are spacing for a roll or are just away from the ledge, I like to ledgehop wavestep (wavedash but straight down) to keep myself as close to the edge as possible to avoid an attack.

Buffer rolling after a ledgeroll or ledgehop WD can also be a good tactic. To do this I hold L/R when rolling or WDing onto the ledge, then hold the c-stick left or right. This inputs a roll dodge on the earliest frame possible and minimizes your time being able to get hit in that spot.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
No, however, one of the most demoralizing experiences I've ever had playing smash was vs. Zhu when I pressed my trigger and he punished my roll, then looked at me and said, "I heard you hitting your trigger."

He got those hacks man.

Vist

Smash Champion
IMO, ledge dashes are where it's at

Ledge stand is fairly quick, with only a few frames of vulnerability btw (at least <100%)

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Ok thanks to everyone for the respones.

Today I was thinking about some things for luigi.
1. if timed right when landing, Luigi can do a fireball lower to the ground.
2. is it bad that I go to the edge a lot and stay on there?

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know it's impossible for Luigi to maintain invincibility while on the ledge. So you're giving up stage position without any real benefits if you're just regrabbing the edge.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
If you ledgedash fast enough the invincibility can carry you through pretty much anything your opponent does and you can attack them while you do it.
its just hard to do perfectally. >.<

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
If you ledgedash fast enough the invincibility can carry you through pretty much anything your opponent does and you can attack them while you do it.
its just hard to do perfectally. >.<
I guess I'm just dropping too many frames, because a well-timed (off of an accurate read) falco front-smash/shiek forward air have been absolutely destroying me. If I bait these out while I'm still hanging on the ledge they are easy to punish, but I have areally tough time getting through them if I ledge-dash into them.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Its hard for me to do it consistently, but when i do it right, luigi can go through marth fsmashes lol.

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
Absolutely. Uthrow>Utilt>Utilt>Utilt until they DI away, then chase with a WD>Dsmash>Fair. I use this a lot with good success and it puts on a good amount of damage, but it only works at lower percents. at higher percents I like to Uthrow/Nair/Dsmash (anything to get them in the air really) then WD>Utilt>WD>Utilt and keep chasing them.

I also like to ledgedash>Utilt. It comes out fast, and they don't often expect it.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Ftilt is a great way to rack on damage, especially in mid-late percents. It's also an excellent mixup for approaches.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
beginning to feel like luigi is just helpless in the edge. been playing against Spacies and shiek and they just beat out all of my options. ledge hop aerials, ledge hop down-b, even ledge hop wave- shield. I acknowledge I can mix up my timings differently, but any tips?
You have to get the invincible WD timing down right. From the ledge you input down > jump > toward stage > L/R like you would in a Mortal Kombat combo. The ledge will be your most comfortable place on the stage after that. Once you're invincible you have every option. Make sure you're going on to the stage as soon as you grab ledge or you'll lose the inv. frames.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I want to see one of you guys break out into the Hax / Axe / Kirbykaze / Shroomed tier of players. I feel like you've all been sitting right on the cusp of it for awhile now.

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
You have to get the invincible WD timing down right. From the ledge you input down > jump > toward stage > L/R like you would in a Mortal Kombat combo. The ledge will be your most comfortable place on the stage after that. Once you're invincible you have every option. Make sure you're going on to the stage as soon as you grab ledge or you'll lose the inv. frames.
What are some of Luigi's options after ledge teching?

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Do you mean teching as in: you're recovering and peach, for example, d-smashes your up-b, you tech, then what?

Or are you asking about what to do after ledge-dashing?

Vudujin

Smash Lord
It depends on what move is going to edge guard you.

When the ledge is tangent to their hitboxes Peach's, Fox's, & Falco's D-smash can be avoided by tapping away from the ledge just enough that you're up-b won't be tangent with the ledge line, but you'll still grab the ledge; kinda like Doc's magic gloves, but to a much smaller margin.

For any kind of spiking dair, hug the ledge, try to sweetspot, and you'll always at least get another tech. If you haven't used your cyclone you can immediately start mashing after the tech and rise onto the stage. If you can hit them with both hits in the air you can get frame advantage, since the 2nd hit comes out faster in the air. It's ledge cancel-able too.

You can also chop or u-air after teching and clip them if they're right above you. It works well on FD against Sheik's, and Peach's D-smash.

If you haven't seen Luigi's hitbox data, you should really have a look see.

http://smashboards.com/threads/luigi-hitboxes-and-frame-data.306546/

Top Bottom