• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Luigi Thread - Zenith, EVO Coming Up!

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Anybody going to EVO?

Vudujin, if you are, we must hang out. Sfat sings your praises on high. But I'm down to kick it with all the Luigis because as we know, Luigi mains are the best kind of people.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Can't remember being as demoralized any time recently as when Tafo came over the other day. **** good sheiks.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Marth is the character that I fear the most. That's why I'm using Falcon and Falco against Marth,
I'm sorry for your case of marthitis, I went through a bout of the same thing. Try to stick with Luigi, once you overcome the initial hurtle, Marth is surprisingly easy for Luigi to handle. The thing is, a Marth who has extensive luigi experience will destroy the luigi I feel. Marth can do some tactics to Luigi that are very difficult/annoying to overcome. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of Marth's just have no. clue.

<3 Marth matchup

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I'm sorry for your case of marthitis, I went through a bout of the same thing. Try to stick with Luigi, once you overcome the initial hurtle, Marth is surprisingly easy for Luigi to handle. The thing is, a Marth who has extensive luigi experience will destroy the luigi I feel. Marth can do some tactics to Luigi that are very difficult/annoying to overcome. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of Marth's just have no. clue.

<3 Marth matchup
Thanks for the advice! Will follow it.

but what if I face a marth that knows what to do? Then do i switch to falcon and falco?

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
Chances are that if a Marth has played enough to have Luigi experience he has WAY more experience with falcon and falco.
this is basically giving your character up. this is basicalle who can be better at the game. with luigi, you basically have to be better than him so you can beat him with luigi. its the game itself, you can always beat even the best marth if you as a player are better than he is.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
this is basically giving your character up. this is basicalle who can be better at the game. with luigi, you basically have to be better than him so you can beat him with luigi. its the game itself, you can always beat even the best marth if you as a player are better than he is.
Wow. Great advice! Thanks Blea! I never thought of it that way. And Pakman, you're right. A marth player would have much experience against other high tier characters than against Luigi

:falconmelee: and :falcomelee: are still my secondaires, though

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
well i waveland my moves more than l-cancel
L-canceling the aerial would be a SHHFL :)

It really depends on what you are trying to do. Both are good options. Shffling spaced bairs is good, and doing it with dair can shield poke pretty well for some reason.

Personally I like to Sh -> Aerial, observe their reaction to it, then waveland accordingly. If people know you are going to waveland, they will typically expect you do wavesmash, so you can usually get a free grab if you space your SH -> Aerial correctly.

On another note, I've been messing around with Nair a lot lately to just combo into itself over and over again. Its pretty sweet once you get the timing down for the soft hit. Makes luigi a freaking moving cannonball of combos (although rather floaty)

Ganons like to DJ -> stomp / fair or w/e after you hit them with an u-tilt or u-throw, so its pretty sweet to just full hop nair and get a free chop/dair, or even another NAIR!!!

seriously though, nair is too good.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
L-canceling the aerial would be a SHHFL :)

It really depends on what you are trying to do. Both are good options. Shffling spaced bairs is good, and doing it with dair can shield poke pretty well for some reason.

Personally I like to Sh -> Aerial, observe their reaction to it, then waveland accordingly. If people know you are going to waveland, they will typically expect you do wavesmash, so you can usually get a free grab if you space your SH -> Aerial correctly.

On another note, I've been messing around with Nair a lot lately to just combo into itself over and over again. Its pretty sweet once you get the timing down for the soft hit. Makes luigi a freaking moving cannonball of combos (although rather floaty)

Ganons like to DJ -> stomp / fair or w/e after you hit them with an u-tilt or u-throw, so its pretty sweet to just full hop nair and get a free chop/dair, or even another NAIR!!!

seriously though, nair is too good.
I saw Vudu do constant Nair combos!

Thanks for advice!

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
If you're asking about SHFFL-ing aerials vs wavelanding or landing in some other form, that is a more complicated question than "should I L-Cancel more?" If you are landing on the ground during an aerial, you absolutely must L-Cancel. There is no downside to L-cancelling, so it is quite literally pointless not to do it unless you enjoy having more landing lag. As for SHFFL-ing vs wavelanding and such... I'm not a huge fan of SHFFL-ing single aerials with Luigi too often. Luigi's floatiness makes it so that you can vary the time of his aerials as much as you like. There is an incredible amount of variability imo - you can SH aerial immediately, then DJ away; SH double aerial; SH, wait, aerial, jump away; SHFFL; etc.

Also I don't know if I necessarily agree that people will expect you to do a smash attack out of all your wavelands. It seems to me that if you are wavelanding after an aerial into a smash attack, it calls for a situation in which you have successfully landed an attack on your opponent that sent them sideways, possibly tumbling into the ground, setting you up for a smash. Otherwise, if you're hitting your opponent's shield with an aerial and wavelanding afterwards, 1) I hope you have spaced correctly so as to not get shield-grabbed, or otherwise attacked OoS, and 2) the waveland's purpose at that point would be to either escape or get behind them if you know they aren't going to react OoS in a way that would halt your waveland.

Nair is good, but new Luigi players tend to get a little too Nair-happy once they discover that it's a decent combo breaker. Don't let this happen to you - any experienced player will catch on very quickly and begin to bait your Nairs. Your opponent simply needs to bait, wait, then punish once the Nair comes out.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
If you're asking about SHFFL-ing aerials vs wavelanding or landing in some other form, that is a more complicated question than "should I L-Cancel more?" If you are landing on the ground during an aerial, you absolutely must L-Cancel. There is no downside to L-cancelling, so it is quite literally pointless not to do it unless you enjoy having more landing lag. As for SHFFL-ing vs wavelanding and such... I'm not a huge fan of SHFFL-ing single aerials with Luigi too often. Luigi's floatiness makes it so that you can vary the time of his aerials as much as you like. There is an incredible amount of variability imo - you can SH aerial immediately, then DJ away; SH double aerial; SH, wait, aerial, jump away; SHFFL; etc.

Also I don't know if I necessarily agree that people will expect you to do a smash attack out of all your wavelands. It seems to me that if you are wavelanding after an aerial into a smash attack, it calls for a situation in which you have successfully landed an attack on your opponent that sent them sideways, possibly tumbling into the ground, setting you up for a smash. Otherwise, if you're hitting your opponent's shield with an aerial and wavelanding afterwards, 1) I hope you have spaced correctly so as to not get shield-grabbed, or otherwise attacked OoS, and 2) the waveland's purpose at that point would be to either escape or get behind them if you know they aren't going to react OoS in a way that would halt your waveland.

Nair is good, but new Luigi players tend to get a little too Nair-happy once they discover that it's a decent combo breaker. Don't let this happen to you - any experienced player will catch on very quickly and begin to bait your Nairs. Your opponent simply needs to bait, wait, then punish once the Nair comes out.
ok this was the advice I needed! when u mean by Nair Happy, do u mean they always use it for a combo breaker?

when i posted that, I didn't l-cancel much. Now I see its importance.

Recently, i feel like i'm using the same movies like my aerials and up and down smash. Is that normal?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
ok this was the advice I needed! when u mean by Nair Happy, do u mean they always use it for a combo breaker?

when i posted that, I didn't l-cancel much. Now I see its importance.

Recently, i feel like i'm using the same movies like my aerials and up and down smash. Is that normal?
When I say "Nair-happy," I mean that you might want to use it too often to break and start combos. Yes, it works, but, again, an experienced player will pick up on it very quickly and alter their approaches. My advice would be to use it intelligently - throw it out when you think your opponent might not expect it and when it's the best option (remember Luigi generally has a lot of options, though). Some of this can come with conditioning. For example, if you're always breaking your opponents combos with Dair, then find an opportunity to break it with Nair instead in a situation that might lead to a combo or a death out of the Nair, then use the Nair (or vice versa).

You've only got so many moves, but if you feel like you're approaching the same way every time, that might be something worth changing. Explore different approaches. Each stage gives Luigi some different options, e.g., stages with platform let you go straight for your opponent along the main stage OR approach from above with jumps or platforms. Luigi has a few decent moves out of a straightforward WD such as Ftilt (his ground-game bread-and-butter), Dsmash, grab, SH aerials, and so on.

Comboing is a slightly different story. At low-mid %s, Luigi might have some combos that will work just about every time, and in those cases it's fine if you're repeating the same moves (e.g. Dthrow -> Ftilt at low %).

Sick combo video Vudu, I'm gonna have to steal that fireball off the wall trick you did in the beginning. :p

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
Gratz to blueg, he performed and did really good stuff at the tournament last saturday, gratz man uve gotten better

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Gratz to blueg, he performed and did really good stuff at the tournament last saturday, gratz man uve gotten better
Gracias amigo.

This guy Blea Gelo got 4th / 42 thought ;) beat this guy DaShizwizz i heard!

Luigi on the rise.

Top Bottom