• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Metagame Development thread

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i am sure most people know this but to gyro cancel you can hold the shield button while u press down B and it will insta cancel for u. Your guide says to press it one u see the animation start and that is not necessary.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Thanks...this AT is a GREAT set up for b-air wall of pain. :p
There's no such thing as a R.O.B. back air wall-of-pain. The opponent can find the frame opening every time right after R.O.B.'s fart deteriorates from his back air, and the fact that it atuomatically spaces leaves R.O.B. open after it's been shielded.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
BTW the way everyone RocketPSIence is one of my best friends. Also he's the Lucas that i fight like every weekend (when we hang out). Me and him are 50:50.
:)
wow thats really funny haha. there's another pair of friends that also main rob and lucas named 313 and mekos that live in NC.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
(I was talking about the ROB/Lucas pair in Greensboro)

Edit: It'd still be cool to hear what Stingers thinks, but he probably doesn't usually play against Lucas...

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
hey i won't be near a wii till monday or tuesday and i found this on the diddy boards and wondered if it works with rob and his top

- F-Smash with Banana
Credit goes to BrawlBro
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176942
While holding a Banana, it is possible to perform an F-Smash by holding down your Attack button while holding it and using the C-Stick to start charging an F-Smash.
To quote BrawlBro's thread Fsmash while holding a bannana:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlBro
Diddy can fsmash while holding a banana, pretty useful as it adds another option while holding a banana.

How to perform: when you pick up a banana hold down (a) or whatever button you use to pick it up. Hitting the C stick now will make diddy perform fsmash, instead of throwing the naner; if you continue to hold (a)

If you just hold (a) the fsmash will charge all the way before going. If you hit it then let go of (a) it will just do a normal fsmash. To be able to do continous fsmashes without throwing your banana you have to hit the c stick let go of (a) then hold down (a) again before the smash finishes.

so f someone can test this it would be cool. it might be a nice mind-game for rob to use.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
hey i won't be near a wii till monday or tuesday and i found this on the diddy boards and wondered if it works with rob and his top

- F-Smash with Banana
Credit goes to BrawlBro
While holding a Banana, it is possible to perform an F-Smash by holding down your Attack button while holding it and using the C-Stick to start charging an F-Smash.
Quote:
Diddy can fsmash while holding a banana, pretty useful as it adds another option while holding a banana.

How to perform: when you pick up a banana hold down (a) or whatever button you use to pick it up. Hitting the C stick now will make diddy perform fsmash, instead of throwing the naner; if you continue to hold (a)

If you just hold (a) the fsmash will charge all the way before going. If you hit it then let go of (a) it will just do a normal fsmash. To be able to do continous fsmashes without throwing your banana you have to hit the c stick let go of (a) then hold down (a) again before the smash finishes.

so f someone can test this it would be cool. it might be a nice mind-game for rob to use.

Yes. It is possible with like... every char I think. Its not *that* useful, imo. The awkward positioning of your fingers or whatever (unless you re-map) leaves you as a PLAYER vulnerable.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i figured it would work for every character. I thought bringing it up here makes sense since rob has an item to use this technique with.

I figured it was not that useful thats why i said i thought it would be a good mind-game which might be true. This does not seem like something u should use often (like dull says it can leave u vulnerable which seems likely).

Also like i said i won't be able to test it for a couple days at least so idk how awkward the finger position is. (might be awkward for Dull but not others idk)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It's just that most people use the GC controller with custom-like controlls and a pretty standard grip (left hand joystick/L, Right hand pretty much everything else). From this, there isn't really any "good" or "natural" finger to hold A with. Holding it down with the side of your index finger or even the fingertip while using the thumb to smash is just awkard, not to mention that you'ld have to switch your middle finger to hit Y/x and possibly Z if you don't bring the rest of your hand around to cover that. If you keep your fingers together and hold A with your thumb, then you'ld have to smash with the C-stick using the side of your thumb, making some smashes even harder to do

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i was thinking i changed my controls so L is attack. this would make it easier to do.

L is held down in place of A button (with pointer.
thumb moves joystick.
right hand for everything else.

so yea even if it hard to do with normal controls (which it seems to be) with custom controls it is much easier and doable. Also like i said this is just to throw into your game once in a while as a mind game so even if its tough to do that does not really matter since u only should do this once or twice imo.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
1st sorry for double post

2nd i found a new (well new to me at least) use for z-drop. i was messing around with ROB vs DK and i got my friend to let me z-drop the top while DK was up-bing. this led to a free spike. Its pretty fun and cool but i am not sure if this has any use in a real match since its so situational and hard to set up. Ether way its pretty fun to do and does work up till high dmg were the top knocks him away.

Sorry if this was already known.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Eh, usually if the top hits them when they are recovering, the regular dair spike would've hit them as well, so unless you know exact kill percents for ROB's dair, it's not really too useful.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Eh, usually if the top hits them when they are recovering, the regular dair spike would've hit them as well, so unless you know exact kill percents for ROB's dair, it's not really too useful.
i don't think its useful b/c its hard to set up but hitting the spike after the top is not =a problem. the top does not send DK anywhere at low dmg's so u just drop wait a sec so u don't re-grab it then dair and it should work. Also kinda surprised no one seems to of tried this b4 i thought people would be telling me its known, Anyway i know its not that useful but just trying to help rob anyway i can :)

Sudai

Stuff here
It is known, just like you said, very situational. You can't post it at 1AM (Central, aka my time) and then say 'wow, no one said it's known' 9 hours later. :p

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
expected the 1st post about it to say already known. but i am going to go with the no sleep johns so my schedules all messed up. Also to be fair i am on eastern time but still u r right i kinda jumped the gun on saying it unknown (no sleep johns).

Silhouette

Smash Lord

- F-Smash with Banana
Credit goes to BrawlBro
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be the same with all items in general? like Zamus's armor, or ROBs Gyro?

Edit: Actually yes, I just tested and this is the same for all items, grabbing the item but not letting go of A after doing so allows you to preform a charged smash attack. So this really isn't just for Diddy Kong, any character with Items really.
(posted slightly below the OP)

they did the testing for us and it works for eveyone, and I think a more practical use for us is a Dsmash after a baited dodgeroll or something, the upper hand is that the opponent doesnt know were vulnerable from the awkward hand position since they arnt looking at our controller and they're expecting us to throw the top. I could see a possible combo being dsmash(gyro in hand) > glide toss up the direction they flew > up b with GT momentum to chase. If they air dodge the top it would set up for a Usmash at low %. Ill deff test this later. =]

other ways to press and hold A and keep and item in hand are by dogerolling, sidestepping, or using up B and doing an aerial (can't trow an item during Up b)

Darth Waffles: the hand position your describing is the Claw technique (moving your pointer finger from Z to A) and I actually switch between that and regular alot and dont usually have problems.

On the plus side to using the claw tech is that its also the hand position for pivot walking, giving this more possible mixups to use as mindgames or an approach for the fsmash. If only we had a pivot walk like DKs...

my other though is that if you set two attack buttons could you do a tilt or jab while holding an item? I cant test it right now and if so itd be amazing, and add a new depth to our beyblade shenanigans.

I should also be noted that diddy and other characters that can crawl can use dtilt while holding an item, without much set up too, they just dtilt during a crawl. It could be possible that they can Dsmash in that position too. idk

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's still ROB metagame, because it directly impacts him, as opposed to indirectly affects him like other chars. vs. ROB

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Wow, you don't ask for Stickies Mizu... you just get stickied, if the mod feels like your stuff is important enough.

Sudai

Stuff here
I don't mind if people ask for stickies when it's something like this. This is a thread that I would feel borderline sticky-worthy and someone bringing it up made me honestly debate it with myself.

And with that, lets get this beast back on topic.

Top Bottom