• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Metagame Development thread

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Don't know what you talkin bout I have no problem killing w/ rob....I think your too use to Samus's kill power.
Either you have no clue about how poor Samus's kill options are, or you're being sarcastic.

R.O.B. kills earlier than Samus but its kill moves are harder to set up.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Thank you for the samus comment, it means alot. I guess i gave up to early. The Green Lesbot will become good!!!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I was pointing out that you were off-topic. I do that for my threads on the Lucas boards.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hey RocketPSIence, my friend is a Lucas main and I main ROBz. Can you tell me what is a good way to avoid his annoying nair?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Hey RocketPSIence, my friend is a Lucas main and I main ROBz. Can you tell me what is a good way to avoid his annoying nair?
It'll take time to do thid but do not approach, learn to camp Lucas....yes it's possible. When he does get close and you get N-aired....depending on where he lands use D-tilt,F-tilt, or D-smash to punish. Don't DI up you'll get U-tilted.
:)

It's that simple for the N-air atleast.....I could write a lot mo' but this isn't the MU thread. Plus you can trust what I say because I fight the MU against RocketPSIence....every weekend.
Also if this doesn't work then you'll have to find your own little tricks to get around it.:)

TheMike

Smash Lord
There's also this thread. By the way, I would like to discuss some of ROB's OoS options. We already had this discussion before, but it would be nice to have it in this thred, too. I know it's simples, so it wouldn't hurt discussing. :)

- Dsmash;
- Fsmash;
- Jump plus Aerial;

Sudai

Stuff here
-Jump Airdodge
-Spot Dodge Shield
-Spot Dodge Grab
-Grab
-Spot Dodge Jump Aerial
-Spot Dodge Jump Dodge

Too many to list. lol

I personally like FSmash, DSmash, DTilt, FTilt, UTilt (rather situational), and Spot Dodge Grab.

Sudai

Stuff here
FSmash from the side. Laser from wherever you can hit it. Gyro with half charge. NAir from above (only the first and last parts of the hitbox). FAir from -just- above and to the side of the nado (Aka you just SDI'd out). BAir in a similar situation as FAir.

Really though, the only way to hit a smart MK in nado is to let it hit you then SDI and F/N/BAir.

A smart MK will nado too close for you to reaction laser/gyro/fsmash and won't let anyone get above the center of the tornado if it's the best position for that character to knock the MK out of his tornado (like it is for us, well...slightly to the side of the center, but yeah). That leaves us with BAir, NAir, and FAir from above.

FAir: Risky, hard to hit, least damage of the three.
NAir: Risky, hard to hit space since it has a lot of start-up lag and MK can move so you hit the side of the top (and thus get pulled in) or just rise to hit you before the hitbox comes out/while the hitbox isn't at the bottom of ROB.
BAir: Slightly better version of FAir as far as it's usage against nado is concerned.

Sooooo, you'rre looking at NAir, but even that isn't too good. I prolly missed some situational/silly ones, but that's what I got for you.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Believe it or not, the Arm Rotor (F-Spec) can hit through the Mach Tornado... but good luck with that.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well anything that hits the weak spot in the top center goes through...which is why bair and nair and sometimes fair work

Mr.E

Smash Lord
FAir works about as well as laser does against reflectors. Then again, once I accidentally broke it with UAir after SDI-ing out of the top.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
walk away fsmash is the best option.
if they're too close for you to fsmash then just shield and pray

RogueThunder

Smash Rookie
There's also this thread. By the way, I would like to discuss some of ROB's OoS options. We already had this discussion before, but it would be nice to have it in this thred, too. I know it's simples, so it wouldn't hurt discussing. :)

- Dsmash;
- Fsmash;
- Jump plus Aerial;
A really nice OoS option I've found is a retreating fair. With z jump and cstick set to smashes: Oos Z while holding back on control stick> forward cstick= ROB jumps back but fair whatever is infront of him. This can be SH'd or FH'd, and followed by lasor or gyro (its also good for hit and run appoaches as it can be done from a dash)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Another "AT", you can use robocopter (Side-b) in upslopes and then get a boost.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Since AiB is down, I'm paying a visit to Smashboards this morning.
Here's a few things I keep in mind against the Mach Tornado:

When using F-Smash it's best to Stutter-step back right before using it, giving you some space.

Yes, everything that can reach down into the top will hit MK out of the nado. It takes not only good timing, but a given opportunity to do so.
Usually I get caught up in the Tornado simply because I use a F-Tilt right before he starts it up, the two attacks Clash, then the multi-hit on the nado sucks me in. This also happens on aerials.

Watch for them baiting air-dodges when they're below you, they'll 'nado. It's safe for MK to do so in this situation because if you attack it will hit you as well.

Try footstool jumping off the top of the Tornado.

When Shielding the Tornado, go for a Perfect Shield on the first hit, then angle it up. This will keep it from getting eaten and you getting stabbed. A Perfect Shield to rolling Dodge will also work. After you've Shielded it, a D-Smash is a good counter attack, as they can DI behind you and get away from a F-Smash. Get ready to follow their SDI if they pop out of your D-Smash, you may have to turn and attack (a Jab will be effective because it's quick and sets up for Grab or D-Tilt).

Lasers generally will not work against smart Tornados... MK will use it in situations as I've outlined above. They generally do not start the 'nado across the stage and come at you, which is exactly what you'll need in order to hit with that nearly 30-frame startup for a Laser. Best to jump high, when they see you've evaded their Mach Tornado by jumping they will pull back with it, then unleashe the laser.

Top Bottom