• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Metagame Development thread

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Add it as a general item thing.

Also, this is sticky worthy only if it maintains activity.

TheMike

Smash Lord
About smashing while holding an item...

only Fsmash? Anyway, Fsmash > Glide Toss > Something related to your opponent's DI seems nifty for me.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
yes only the forward smash is possible. While we hold an item we can also use aerials by up b-ing, but just tapping the button so that it is as if we short hopped, then mind game by using an aerial

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
yes only the forward smash is possible. While we hold an item we can also use aerials by up b-ing, but just tapping the button so that it is as if we short hopped, then mind game by using an aerial
i did this in a friendly at a tourney i had a nana then up-Bed and killed the diddy with bair he was pretty surprised its a good mind game.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Sad. :( I was imagining how useful Air Dodge(catching an item) > Dsmash would be...

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think it would be awesome if we could d-smash w/ a banana in hand! Annoying (for the diddy players) :p.
Or annoying for your opponents if Diddy is your partner in Doubles. But this wouldn't happen...

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
i am sure most people know this but to gyro cancel you can hold the shield button while u press down B and it will insta cancel for u. Your guide says to press it one u see the animation start and that is not necessary.
Wait...is this true? Nobody acknowledged it in the thread after he said it... but if it were true that would be super cool.

Sudai

Stuff here
I thought that was already known? It -is- the whole basis of wave-bounced gyro canceling and gyro reversals. Or maybe we named it something else but that's just what I call them in my head. XD

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
im gonna go ahead and say it now, i am the best rob in the usa. i can finally take out 3 level 9cpus at once.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Oh, whoa, I never actually tried that out. I've always just learned the timing for it, never held down the shield button to pretty much "buffer" it. Nice.

I'd still like to know the maximum number of frames you can go before you start canceling the charge by airdodging instead of resetting to a neutral position.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Oh, whoa, I never actually tried that out. I've always just learned the timing for it, never held down the shield button to pretty much "buffer" it. Nice.

I'd still like to know the maximum number of frames you can go before you start canceling the charge by airdodging instead of resetting to a neutral position.
to me the timing seemed annoying so one time i just held shield and it worked proving that learning timing is for fools. :)

Since this is a metagame development thread i think that being able to attack while holding an item as long as u up-B should be listed in this thread. It is a good mindgame since most non ROB's don't know about this. in a serious friendly at a tourney a while back this won me the match against a diddy.

Xyro77

dude, seriously. Like theres nothing i can do when lucario shield my fair. had i been samus i wouldnt even be in that situation. hell, i would have zair its *** 46.9 billion times.

You also gotta attack during your UP+B or u cant airdodge......wtf is that. F-rob!!!!!!

Sudai

Stuff here
what else should i do? sit there and spam the easy to power shield laser/gyro?
Yup. Learn to be tricky with your Gyro too. You can make it harder to power shieled by changing the charge on it every time. You don't even want it to hit them, you want it to hit their shield. Any charged gyro hits their shield and then you can shield poke their toes with lasers, even if they try and power shield. :p

Granted, a smart player will just avoid the gyro so it's out on the stage. XD

Even then, if you're ahead, it doesn't matter if they powershield everything, the point is that ROB's Defense > ROB's Offense.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Even if they powershield, it's easier for you to spam. Everyone eventually fails at PS.

Sudai

Stuff here
Even if they powershield, it's easier for you to spam. Everyone eventually fails at PS.
Maybe. It's really not hard to PS at all in Brawl so long as there's not too much trickery they can do. Even making the gyro fly at variable speeds is a long shot in and of itself as most people tend to just powershield that.

I've sat in a match against Sethlon powershielding 95% of his lasers for over 15 minutes on one of my trips to Dallas (friendlies, no timer on) and this was the day that I decided to learn to powershield Falco's laser's. Before I had maybe a 50% success rate without even trying. That's how pathetically easy it is to powershield in this game.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
When I went to my first live gathering (would have been in a tournament but had to go early), a Marth player with whom I Brawled consistently caught the Gyro.

Just pointing that out there.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I've sat in a match against Sethlon powershielding not 100% of his lasers for over 15 minutes on one of my trips to Dallas (friendlies, no timer on) and this was the day that I decided to learn to powershield Falco's laser's. Before I had maybe a 50% success rate without even trying. That's how pathetically easy it is to powershield in this game.
fixed that for you

Xyro77

so i should just sit there and spam till he comes near me? Then what? What if they stay grounded and have fast jabs and stuff? it seems like rob has no answer ot that type of stuff.

Xyro77

but it just seems so easy to powershield. ill try it again.

and whats a good way to come back from the ledge? i feel so limited with rob

stingers

Smash Obsessed
oh boy

robs ledge options suck ****. gl against someone really good at preventing you.

what I do is mix up:

-spacing a nair so it hits with the very last tip as you rise
-immediate ledge grab then fair to try and surprise them
-getup attack is pretty good sometimes because hitbox comes out while invincible but if someone reads it they'll just shield and ****. use this sparingly or if you know they're gonna attack
-ledgehop bair so you land lagless - risky as hell
- glhf

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
It's been 4 since I've been on, so this maybe old.....but oh well. Also in my defense I have a cold....and recently had a fever of 102!

im gonna go ahead and say it now, i am the best rob in the usa. i can finally take out 3 level 9cpus at once.
ggs Xyro, you are now the best ROB ever.
Wow! I wish I were that good. (sarcasim) -.-

actually, i tried rob ALOT today vs alot of my friends. hes horrible and slow and cant kill. F this robot.

*pulls the cord on rob*

*poops on rob*
Ahahah. Coming from a Samus main. :p
Don't know what you talkin bout I have no problem killing w/ rob....I think your too use to Samus's kill power.

dude, seriously. Like theres nothing i can do when lucario shield my fair. had i been samus i wouldnt even be in that situation. hell, i would have zair its *** 46.9 billion times.

You also gotta attack during your UP+B or u cant airdodge......wtf is that. F-rob!!!!!!
Xyro, you're approaching too much. XD

I don't blame you for quitting ROB though, honestly. XD
Very true Sudai, I hate approaching w/ rob so I rarely do it.
But, Sudai is right...in the past lots of robs have left for the same reasons your giving us now....it's kinda sad....cause rob is awesome to me.

what else should i do? sit there and spam the easy to power shield laser/gyro?
Yup. Learn to be tricky with your Gyro too. You can make it harder to power shieled by changing the charge on it every time. You don't even want it to hit them, you want it to hit their shield. Any charged gyro hits their shield and then you can shield poke their toes with lasers, even if they try and power shield. :p

Granted, a smart player will just avoid the gyro so it's out on the stage. XD

Even then, if you're ahead, it doesn't matter if they powershield everything, the point is that ROB's Defense > ROB's Offense.
What Sudai said here are the basic of "being tricky" (which I think Sudai knows) but believe me there are lots of trickys rob has that are hard to explain, which you'll learn as you play him more and more. The reason I know I my friend is a Lucas main, and as most people know Lucas is hard to camp......wel not for me I've learned simple trickys (simple to me atleast) to help me over come Lucas's stupid Magnet....so I can use both my laser and my gyro, versus Lucas. You have to be very unpredictable.
So don't quit on rob just yet Xyro. :)

Top Bottom