• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Table

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Chaingrabbing DeDeDe. A Pikachu that's just spamming thunderjolt is too easy.
Ok, I oversimplified it. He's actually good; when I say he spams thunderjolts, that's like someone else complaining that all ROB does is spam dsmash and lasers. It's not really true, but I pick on the annoying part of the match.

When I watch Anther's vids from like, May, they seem to be about his level. 'course that was half a year ago, so I'm not saying he could compete with Anther now, but yeah.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
In tournament the only characters I have had trouble with are . . .
As for the match-up its just my opinion you dont have to agree
1) MetaKnight (65-35)
2) G&W (60-40)
3) D3 (55-45)
4) Fox (40-60)
5)Peach (45-55)

Fox does actually pretty well on ROB
Its deinfetly in ROB's favor though, Ive figured out a neat little trick on any Space Animal =]
Havent tested it out on a real player who mains the character but I have done it to my cousins.
But I wont be convinced about the trick til Im able to consistently pull it off on a player who mains the character and is actually good with them.
If this little trick seems to work then the space animals they are going to be that much easier to gimp.
If it seems to work the match up would be like 70-30 in ROB's favor.

Idk if its just me but Snake players are getting REALLY good especially on ROB.
Hall and Ajax have demonstrated they can beat ROB players with Snake.
I dont know but it just might be me cuz I always thought I sucked against Snake (he intimidates me cuz of his power).
IMO I believe its still 50/50

Thats just me though

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
actually I agree that Snake is 50/50 and it can be tipped heavily in one direction or the other with a good stage choice [even some neutrals can tip it heavily]

Shadow...I know this is like 2 months late but do you still want that list of team combos/setups Marth and ROB have? bout to PM you anyway in a bit, so lemme know if you want me to include that XD

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
actually I agree that Snake is 50/50 and it can be tipped heavily in one direction or the other with a good stage choice [even some neutrals can tip it heavily]

Shadow...I know this is like 2 months late but do you still want that list of team combos/setups Marth and ROB have? bout to PM you anyway in a bit, so lemme know if you want me to include that XD
Yea Id still like them, Ima include it in a ROV team guide Im making, I think my ROB is good in singles but almost **** near perfect in doubles when I team with DSF =]

I agree with the stage thign though, I played Hall on Lylat Cruise . . . OMFG worst nightmare ever
Hall is the best technical Snake Ive seen/played he knows how to camp with Snake EXTREMELY well. Great use of gernades, C4, nikita, and all his explosives. Since the level was dark too I couldnt see anything.
As for Ajax he just knows how to play against ROB, he knows the match up well. DSF seems to have no trouble with Ajax Snake when he plays ROB because either 1) hes DSF lol or 2) They play so much he just knows his playstyle.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Ok, I oversimplified it. He's actually good; when I say he spams thunderjolts, that's like someone else complaining that all ROB does is spam dsmash and lasers. It's not really true, but I pick on the annoying part of the match.

When I watch Anther's vids from like, May, they seem to be about his level. 'course that was half a year ago, so I'm not saying he could compete with Anther now, but yeah.
If the Pikachu is playing the way he should against R.O.B., Thunderjolt spam shouldn't happen that often because Pikachu has to constantly get in R.O.B.'s face to be effective against him.

Also, I think with Snake, you just have to not let Snake set anything up. If he lays down a mine, blow it up with a laser or gyro. If he lays a C4, you can either make sure Snake can never be in a situation where the only person he'll get with it is you or bait him into exploding it by being tricky. If he pulls out a grenade, laser it. If he mortars you as you're flying, b-air to get rid of it safely or n-air if you're being offensive. I mean, it'll take away from some aggro time since you need to spend time dismantling crap and you always need to be wary that Snake may be trying to attack you as you do this, but it's sooooo worth it.

Snake with set-up >>>>>>>>>> Snake without set-up. He's just so much easier to take down when he hasn't got the ground covered with equipment. Then you just have to play keep away as you rack up damage, maybe get a gimp in, maybe do a few out-right kills, most of this off-stage and in the air.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
I consistently 2 stock the best snake in my state (Kamaji) but from what i can tell he isnt one of the top players. I would like to test my rob out on a top level snake.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
My friend plays snake as one of his mains. He is also quite skilled with the explosives, especially the grenades. My biggest issue is that he's just incredibly adept when it comes to timing the grenade throws so that before i can laser, Ive already got one in front of me, then he pulls another out and does one of the crazy tricks (which i still don't fully understand, Ill have to go read a thread on that). The grenades themselves aren't a huge issue, however, they slightly alter my playing style so I'm no longer in my happy place. And those godly tilts. Cant forget those godly tilts.

With fox though, it's not surprising that a lot of us are unfamiliar with the matchup. Most of the foxes from melee stopped playing fox bc hes not as good in brawl, so the foxes are few and far between. Unfortunately, that gives them a slight advantage because we don't know the matchup. Only slight.

Sudai

Stuff here
I was a Melee Fox. I love the Robot so much more though.

There's a pretty good Fox going to HOBO12 this weekend and I talked to him and we're gonna get some play in so I can get some match-up details for us.

Sudai

Stuff here
Plan to. I'm bringing my laptop so I'll be able to record and probably have the vids up by sunday night at latest. (At least the better vids)

I have no idea how good this guy really is, but yeah.. We'll see.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
This sunday, I'm going to be playing a nasty fox ; hopefully someone there will have a camera...

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
The best Fox I have played are Gamble and Champ (not melee) their Fox are beast.
Great mindgames
Camp very well, they know how to get on your nerves
Great DI
and know exactly when to kill ROB
I havent lost to them, but they have given me a great *** fight.
As for Snake Im happy I thought I just sucked major *** against him lol.
Which I prolly do though haha

Mr.E

Smash Lord
MK, G&W, D3, who cares about the rest.

Dedede's stupid BAir beats ROB in the air and edgeguards well. DAir beats UAir handily as well so it's tough recovering from low, gotta go high. :/ It really does make FD an overall good stage to fight him on, as he can't camp under platforms and the large stage gives you the best opportunity to land behind him safely upon recovery, CG is just big punishment if you screw up and get grabbed facing inward. Personally, I like Delfino and Halberd because he's such a slow, massive target you can abuse flying through the floor on him. On that note, maybe Brinstar? Normally it's a bad stage for ROB but it might be worse for Dedede; you can fly through the floor on him, the platforms are laid out in such a manner he can't camp under them (side platforms hang off the edge, central platform is too high to hit from the floor) and the uneven floor ***** with his CG.

Fox is Falco without the annoying laser and his recovery is every bit as *** as Wolf and Falco. He has better distance but it's still the same edgeguarding strategy. Shouldn't be any problems here... Looking forward to those videos, Sudai.

lol i just saw seibriks' matches against afrothundah, he grabbed released afro's wario (yeah i know, afro as wario?!?) over the edge into a upsmash. ouch,

can he do that to rob?
Wario has a lot of problems with grab-releases, not unlike Ness/Lucas. It's not an issue for ROB.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Delfino vs DDD? Me no likey walk-offs and walls :(

I wouldn't take him to Halberd either. With the low ceiling and his utilt, you'll have trouble living past 80%.

Take him to Jungle Japes if you can. He can't CG or kill there and he's mediocre in the water and on ledges. If he bans it, hmmm, I dunno, Frigate maybe? Uneven ground is always good.

Sudai

Stuff here
I like Norfair against D3 if he bans Japes. No CG, easy ledge camping and I've seen D3s just Up-B over the lava wave. If they do that, easy monies. Simply airdodge through the lava wave and punish him. Just make sure you always stay below him. Gyro doesn't act as a stage deterrent here, but bouncing it off the lava can create some nice traps. Get creative with it. : )

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
seconded on Norfair.

Florida typically has Jungle Japes banned, so Norfair's the best option to avoid chain grabs here.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Norfair is leet, just gotta watch out for CP characters since it's not a good stage for ROB against most characters. The same could be said of Brinstar.

Banning Japes is for suckers, it's the only stage with a really high ceiling and the water/hazard is borderline at best.

Delfino vs DDD? Me no likey walk-offs and walls :(
Eh, they're easy enough to avoid. I feel the advantage of the rest of the stage is more than worth the risk, you just have to be a little more careful around those parts. The arrangement of the platforms (very high, some of them hanging over the ledges) is helpful during the flying portions, where you spend the most time, and ROB can eat him on the water parts.

As far as Halberd is concerned, the ceiling isn't that much lower than normal. The platform is a ***** and you're not going to hang out there anyway, so it's like a 5% difference at worst. :/ Like fighting anyone else, you want to avoid exposing ROB's blind spot and Dedede will attack it with his fat penguin head with impunity from beneath if you give him the chance. But... Dedede is slower than ROB, just go for the sides and he just isn't fast enough to capitalize. Play it like FD and it's just like that, except you trade ~5% of survivability for an uneven floor and the ability to attack him from beneath half the time.

I tried JJ but... Camping the side platforms just seems to put him at the perfect height for BAir spam ROB can't do much about, low enough to poke at your feet and stay beneath most attacks himself. So... what am I doing wrong here? :( He's so gigantic the upper central platform isn't even that safe. The sides are short so the opportunity to rack up damage on his otherwise predictable recovery rarely appears. All the ledges are nice and the high ceiling probably hurts more than it helps but I guess I just don't see it. *shrug*

Sudai

Stuff here
Japes is great because you just camp all day. If he tries to get close time an edge hug for invincibility on the inside ledge and then BAir him away, repeat. If he predicts it and doesn't attack, ledge drop to the ledge on the middle platform and read, then go back to the other ledge for invincibility and repeat until he puts himself in a bad position. If he decides he's gonna try to DAir you, ledge drop and go to the outside ledge of the small platforms. Too easy.

It gets even better if you're on the right side. **** gets too hot for you? Drop into the water and pop up on the other side. Get to camp again cause there's no way for D3 to make it there quickly other than doing the same thing which puts him in a -horrible- position because you're either gonna **** his recovery or just run back to the right side and camp again.

Playing the stage is the biggest part of this stage. Abuse ledge invincibility and the water. Take any chance you can to get to the right side. That's the side you really want to control. It gives so many more recovery options and escape options. Save your BThrow for kills or you can just save NAir and just wait forever to kill him with that. You shouldn't be getting hit too much so it really shouldn't matter too much how long it takes to kill him.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played my friend's Rob today. I used MK a bit... or... really just the tornado. I used it every time he landed, every time he shot out the gyro, and just before every time he used ftilt, jab, dtilt, fsmash, or dsmash to space. I used it from below, diagonally, and after piercing his shield with dairs. I used it literally a majority of my attacks. It makes a great approach, punishing attack, OoS option, and shield piercing option against Rob. It's SO freakin easy!

thoughts?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rob is unviable in tournaments because of ONE attack...

Is that a stretch?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
lol @ Sudai

DanGR: the point is that if someone chose to, as MK, they could render ROB completely useless with the appropriate timing of that ONE attack. Does that happen often in tournaments? Depends on where you go. With the absence of such a situation, you may be in luck as far as using ROB in tourney. Even so, MK can dominate even without that move. Pretty ****ty :(

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Of course MK could eliminate ROB as competition through mach whorenado spamming. >Remembers harsh experience where he was gayed out of a tournament...<
Afterwards, however, said metaknight player will probably lose the little respect he has left (after playing mk) from other competitors.

My plan for the next time I get mach whorenado spammed?
I'm calling shenanigans.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
lol at snake and captain falcon both 60:40
This guy has a point. Who thought that ROB was only a soft counter to Falcon? But I digress.

Tornado alone does destroy a lot of ROB's options but it can be dealt with. Not by trying to hit through it though. Consistently timing nairs and fsmashes to break the tornado is nigh impossible, and only a ****ty MK will start the tornado far enough away to get lasered.

You can try shielding the whole thing and punishing the tiny bit of lag at the end but this won't work on a smart MK. What will work vs nado spamming is ledgecamping. Just jump off the stage and start firing lasers. Of course this puts you in a very bad position to be vs MK...

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
CF lol. he's 60/40 assuming the CF is good i would say. but odds are, that NEVER happens.
he might be 30/70 rofl

Mr.E

Smash Lord
As far as Fox is concerned, I feel I've learned one very important thing this weekend: Just move out of the way when he tries to drill kick combo you. He has absolutely no lateral mobility, just stay out from under him when he's in the air and work from there. He can't really do much else since ROB plain out-spaces him, gimps the crap out of him, and can punish any blaster fire with superior projectiles since his lasers don't cause hitstun.

Topic has lost its activity the past couple days... Oh well.

Sudai

Stuff here
So I didn't get a chance to play that Fox that said he'd play me at HOBO...but I did realize I don't know how the **** to fight Diddy. x.x

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
omg I know exactly how you feel Sudai. I realized a couple weeks ago that I just freak out, try to avoid ****, and barely get by with finding openings. But there's no ACTUAL strategy for me yet @_@ JCAAAEEEZZZ how do you do against Thumbs usually? I fukked up at Chu's and forgot to ban FD which is where he took me in the 3rd round :( :( :(

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Always ban FD against Diddy. FD is an autowin for Diddy against almost every character.

Against Diddy ... I use Wario.

Other than that, try spotdodging A LOT.

Sudai

Stuff here
I did ban FD. He banned japes on me though so I had no idea where to take him. I saw the guy **** someone on FD before so I was scared. But yeah..Fliphopper ***** me hard with Diddy. 2 stock and 1 stock mid percent. x.x

First time fighting a diddy johns and losing to the guy that won HOBO12 johns. :x

Top Bottom