• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

I think the AI for brawl in infinitely better than anything in melee. Melee was straight up broken because it tried to attack as soon as possible. Always DI'd behind, etc. The lv9 cpu will actually try to bait you into attack I noticed. Like, it will often times dash just away from you real quick. Powershielding and its retaliation is good too.

Its not perfect, but I think its still lots better than melee AI. It even has the added benefit of at least recovering some what well unlike melee luigi which does not know how to UpB at all.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, reaction times can be honed. Catch is mine is already at its complete peak, before training it I would have about 570ms, and just about got it to 500ms now
oh the disabilities, trying to make smash impossible lol

etecoon

Smash Hero
that sounds really unusual, have you tried testing on more than one computer? you could have mouse and/or monitor lag

etecoon

Smash Hero
I did a bunch of homework on japanese snakes especially in the MK MU a few weeks ago, one thing I did make note of is I think they tend to have more solid fundamentals than NA snakes but don't get as many hard reads to go their way as our top snakes. basing this on a pretty limited sample though, need to watch more

Heartstring

Smash Legend
that sounds really unusual, have you tried testing on more than one computer? you could have mouse and/or monitor lag
This was a professional physical capability test, no computer involved lol
I am genuinely classed as disabled with dyspraxia. It essentially means ****ty coordination, reaction times, balance and slightly dulled senses (cant hear **** in a loud room)
Regardless I dont want it to hinder my hobbies, So i disregard them and trash people at this game anyway :D

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Mvd is pretty flashy though. So it's quite the contrast xD same with hrnut when he played cept his was just more that his snake was fast AF.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well Hrnut's Snake used to be pretty good when he was on his game. MVD though ...

And japanese Snakes aren't what they used to be. Shogun's the only one of those who's been stepping it up ... the others are slipping down [Shu, Kuroobi] or are kinda stagnating [Souther]. I don't think Shu practices as much as he used to ... he used to be so consistent. Until the end of 2010 he had even or favorable records with like everybody [Rain, Yui, Brood, Nietono included] and now he has losing record vs like ... everybody.

:059:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ya i've noticed that. Yup hrnut was amazing. Wish he would still enter :/

It seems much of japan is quitting. But at the same time it seems like all the tier 2 players are starting to step it up to take the reins.

etecoon

Smash Hero
kinda the opposite of how it's been here, most top players are still around and a lot of the mid levels and randoms have quit, though M2K said he's quitting soon because he's taking saturday classes and that will be kind of strange, not only for being at the top of brawl for so long but melee too(I still feel like it's weird that azen quit and he quit in like ...09 I think? still feels like he was more of a fixture just for his overall smash history)

I guess brawl is getting old enough now that we could probably say a new generation of smashers are around. Melee smash came out in 2001 (?), but I really only here about stuff from the MLG days and afterwards. Nothing really prior to that at all.

Its weird to think that people still play melee after so long and even smash64. I understand that lots of people have memories about the games when they started when they were like 8-10 years old. Then 10 years later in college and high school they are playing competitively. Although, once that generation is hitting their 30s, you no longer have people who played the game when it first came out at all. I find it surprising that each year the attendance for national tournaments keeps going up. I think some of the first national tournaments ever only ever reached like 100 people. Yet with all the smash games combined you have some 400+ entries at a single national about once a year. Where do they all keep coming from?

I have seen plenty of 2nd hand accounts of people saying M2K wants to quit, but then does not and keeps playing lol

I realized to never follow the suggested links on the side of a video. I end up on the weird part of youtube always.

Can't say I've seen too many MVD games -- then again, it's been a while since I've studied players
Its been awhile since you even lasted appeared.

Stay here more often :glare:

I enjoyed that video immensely for many reasons. The biggest is because you made a freaking tech video with Brawl LMAO Snake for the most technical character so far on video. Also, you'll need to explain the constant running on the ledge. Its the first I've seen of that so far.
[yt]SYKiYbXtt0g[/yt]

I hope you can come up with some more stuff to beat out the perfect dark video.
[yt]xwDHs6UXgR8[/yt]

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I don't think Brawl's physics will allow that.. Perfect Dark was... too godlike.
However, I am sure I can make something just as good.

Snake ATs part 2 coming up.
Also, it's easy. You just start a dash, then return stick to almost neutral, then go slightly back in the direction you were going. you should keep your dash animation, while slowing down. If you do it correctly you will not go off the ledge whilst running.

I'm wondering why you're not curious about my last 2 clips. Did you not see what I did?

They didn't seem to impress me that much, so maybe I missed something that made it more challenging than it looked. The first clip it looked like this to me. MK dthrow -> airdodge -> buffered dash -> run offstage -> 2nd jump back towards the stage -> wavebounce nade.

The last bit was the same except instead of ending in a wavebounce nade you platform canceled.

I guess the dash coming out of the airdodge seems a little bit faster than a normal run animation, but other than this nothing looks too out of the ordinary in my opinion.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
When playing a good DDD, I feel you need to have creative, unpredictable camping. Ddd has the tools to work around snake's basic camping if he knows what to expect from your play style. Also, don't focus only on camping. I get destroyed when I try to only camp, when he gets close don't always try to run away or be on the defensive. Mix in grabs and punishes of your own when he is close to your shield instead of the defensive options of spot dodging/rolling/sitting in shield with a grenade/etc. Keeping a grenade on the ground is a great way to get out of chain grabs and make him choose other options, but be careful with that too. Don't rely on that every time.

Dthrow tech chases work well cause it doesn't seem like he has great options to get out of it if you react.

Get creative in your landings with b reversals and everything to avoid easy chain grabs for him.

Mines on a platform can interrupt his chain grab. And I don't put them on the ground cause I seem to get cg'd into it if I do.

There's more to it, but I don't have time to get into it. I think you should be more aggressive in this matchup than most snake mains would agree with, but it has to be smart aggression. Maybe it's because I have a very aggressive play style and seem to do better when I'm focusing on mixing in aggressive reads rather than focus only on defense and defensive reads.

:phone:

I always thought an ideal play-style for snake was minimal camping. There are rewards to a heavy nade, oriented play-style in some match-ups, but the rewards are much greater if you are actively attacking with his other moves. The reward is not simply tacking on damage faster than straight up camping would, but there is a mental battle you start winning. I just think he pressures people best with his body not his other stuff. If you can start getting people nervous about what snake is going to be doing next, it makes it that much simpler to start getting baits out of people.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think there's almost always benefit to nade heavy play but that =/= defensive/camping, ideally I look at grenades as a way to set up offense where you can give cover to go for your more broken options(dthrow, tilts, aerials) and to manipulate movement

I'm super hit or miss vs DDD though, sometimes I play that MU pretty decently and other times I just get hard *****, if you're even slightly not on point the characters with really bad CG and edge guards on snake really amplify it

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Kick his *** black mantis
Edit: Wtf I cant say ***, man this website sucks :glare:
you can't say ***, but you can say arse, so swear like an englishman!

Also guys. I just got back from a tournament in which snake didn't help me much, my ike is still superior by a long way...but i have a question. How do i land?

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
There is no definite way to land unless your opponent does the same thing every time. All you can do is mix your options up until something finally works, but the best way imo is to work your options around your second jump.

You have fastfalling, reverse nades, aerials, airdodges, footstools, and your second jump, and many combinations of different things.

Also remember that footstooling/double jumping resets your fastfall state and use that to bait your opponent.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay, Clearly wavebouncing is something i need to start doing. been looking back at past matches, I almost never do it

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Is wavebouncing the going forward one? o-o If so I hardly see anyone do it, so i'm not sure if that's necessary. :o Unless you meant the one that reverse momentum, then yeah that's important lol.

EDIT: Also could someone tell me how reversing your momentum with the C4 works, because I can only do a b reversal with it without getting any momentum and it's annoying? :V

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Wave bouncing is the same whether you're momentum is going forward or backward. Think of it as hitting toward his back instead of the opposite direction as your momentum (which is why some people have trouble doing it moving backwards, because it doesn't work that way) and you'll have no problem doing both ways.

As for the c4 wave bounce/breversal/ whatever you want to call it, pretty sure you can just hit down b, and then roll it towards snakes back immediately after. It's hard to think of how I do it cause it's just second nature.

:phone:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Ah kk I thought there was a term for each direction individually. Also I guess my problem may be the i'm pressing it diagonally downwards as opposed to down and then behind me. :u

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
just do a nade wavebounce while holding down lol

I actually learned how to reverse nades from how I reversed c4 because I always did that on accident

Top Bottom