• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
My first tournament in 08, I used one match of ZSS and the rest Snake. Went all snake 2nd tournament and then went all GW except 1 match with snake my 3rd tournament. After that, I've been solo snake main. Planning to do the same this weekend at WHOBO against esam and ally, let's see how I'll do ^__^

etecoon

Smash Hero
too late for that parody, diddy hasn't been super relevant for a long time

also, ice climbers are the best character in this game : ( particularly now that more tournaments are using japanese stage lists, I think it's a positive thing aside from the buff it gives IC's but IC's never having to go to actual CPs is kind of silly. I guess most people in this community will say it's better than MK dominating though

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
I might make a combo video for my tournament series with delux for hype reasons. I got a lot of combo video material today too.. Can anyone link me to a good one to set an example in case I do?

I think a lot of people would disagree with that etecoon. Ics killing you out of a single grab is pretty lame, I think MK on the tamer counterpicks such as halberd and frigate really isn't as bad as the ics buff. But that could be just me.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Wasn't it a mr r combo vid? Or am I imagining things?

And false's combo vid is my favorite by far. There are a lot of good ones out there though
:phone:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Story of my life Bonds :(

oh and btw.....who wants to go to New York?
Opening up a carpool for Impact in New York Tell your friends

(disclaimer one way trip)

I dislike most combo videos~

They have to be pretty amazing to capture my attention.
I agree to this. Most are disappointing because clips get shown even though a combo or attack chain was clearly dropped and picks up two missed moves later. Or you see the same combo over and over again. There is only so many times I can stomach seeing Falco CG -> w/e someone or melee marth's utilt/uthrow/uair chain -> dair/fsmash finish. I think falcon combo videos are pretty similar as in almost all have to end in knee; which gets over used.

The more impressive ones I feel in melee are clearly made reads and successful baits on stuff. Although, the marth brawl one posted early is amazing along with False and War.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I made it into my first GFs over the weekend. ^_^ It was just a local, but it's still a confidence booster to me. =D

EDIT:I'll also get my revenge on those shoes. >_>

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Did anyone watch the live stream for SRT last night? Most hype matches I've ever seen. Vinnie was tearing it up against Japan. I thought he had it, but he lost very last match of grand finals.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
After 9B he beat that falco player you're talking about, otori, and then took rain to set two last match. Nana killed basically herself at really early percent last match by up b-ing the wrong way when recovering. I think Vinnie would have taken it if that didn't happen.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I wish I knew **** about hacking. someone should make a hack that makes the CPU randomize it's wake up options instead of going for the ledge most of the time. snakes dthrow could be SO stupid on some characters if you could just sit there and practice it for a long time

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
zomg discussion.

and about something I have some idea about.

Dantarion, as far as I know, can edit AI so it's likely quite possible to randomize getup options.

I dunno how to do it though. *shrug*

Well, what would be an ideal randomized routine?

For one, you would have to cycle through variations in timing for when to pick an option as well as something immediately after they do an action. It would be nice if they shielded perhaps after getting up or rolling or attacking to let you know how fast or slow you were in covering an option.

ErikG

Smash Ace
I wish I knew **** about hacking. someone should make a hack that makes the CPU randomize it's wake up options instead of going for the ledge most of the time. snakes dthrow could be SO stupid on some characters if you could just sit there and practice it for a long time
My CPUs just pick the exact same option every time until that stock is gone

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
A random split of options for the first one is a good idea, followed up by any of the options after the first but with a slightly reduced chance to repeat the same action. The only exception to this should be on or very close to the ledge, where it either won't roll towards it or has a severely reduced probability of doing so. Also after getting up or rolling, mixing up spotdodges, shield, and quick/invincible attacks (jabs, shuttle loop, dolphin slash, some chars grabs) would be good.

Imo so take it with a grain of salt

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
you could associate each action to a second on the timer, which would be very close to random, provided you didn't watch the clock.

or if it could be linked to the wii's internal timer (gw's judgment?) that would be even better.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Lol, havent been on here for ages, come back to AI talk
AI will never be able to properly emulate How any given human reacts. Because everyone acts different. just about everyone will have a set pattern and a favorite getup option (most of the time its the away roll, but getup attack in bad players) and you get paid dividends if you pick up on them :D

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
People have different habits and patterns sure, but what I think they're getting at is they want to practice dthrow tech chasing off of reaction, not prediction. So if the computer is more random with the options it does, people could practice off reacting to different visual cues to regrabbing or punishing, instead of merely trying to predict the next move.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh, in that case fair enough. The option of techchasing from reaction is impossible for me, what with my astounding reaction time of 0.5s!
Ill stick to predicton lol

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
If someone could program the computer to be random, that could help improve that a lot. Reaction times are impacted through practicing, and even if you're going off prediction, reaction can sometimes help you switch to the right option fast enough to still get them when you get it wrong.

etecoon

Smash Hero
you can train up your reaction time to some extent, it's been said a lot in this community that it is what it is but I think that's nonsense now, my twitch reaction time is already about 30ms faster(like 230ms on average now so still a little below average but not so god awful anymore...) than it used to be and I've only just begun to institute the changes to facilitate this

characters that have bad rolls and attack away first = ****, you don't have to respect their get up attack at all and can just purely focus on where to go and grab. if this were something you could really practice with the CPU snake would completely annihilate most of these characters(SuSa used to say that he did anyway buuut, definitely something that needs practice). kind of sad that games these days still have such bad AI, graphics capabilities keep improving but a lot of things don't evolve underneath the new coat of paint

Top Bottom