• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Does anyone else here use like 4 characters in tournament? I find myself using:

:dedede: / :popo: / :snake: / :warioc:

The penguin and Inuit childen cover most of what I need but there are certain MUs, I know super well with Snake. Snake + Halberd is a gay combo also.

Wario is my insurance against gay stages lol

Not really. I am still using :falco: :snake: for everything under the sun. Well, I guess I might pull out :metaknight: for any opponent that is deciding to play
extremely gay. For example, a planking :samus: or :pit: . But only if they decide to do it for the whole match. I'll even use :dedede: against certain characters at times simply because DDD is such an easy character to use compared to :snake: :falco:. Not that I am downplaying :dedede:, but you don't have to mix and match a lot of tools to do well with him. Just know stick with his good stuff like bair and grab. Throw in an occasional usage of another move along with general knowledge on how to recover in this game, and you have an instant pocket :dedede:.

-Ran

Smash Master
I usually utilize Snake / Marth / Meta Knight [for dittos/dumb stages]. I'm thinking of adding Falco to my arsenal.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Does anyone else here use like 4 characters in tournament? I find myself using:

:dedede: / :popo: / :snake: / :warioc:

The penguin and Inuit childen cover most of what I need but there are certain MUs, I know super well with Snake. Snake + Halberd is a gay combo also.

Wario is my insurance against gay stages lol
Not really. I am still using :falco: :snake: for everything under the sun. Well, I guess I might pull out :metaknight: for any opponent that is deciding to play
extremely gay. For example, a planking :samus: or :pit: . But only if they decide to do it for the whole match. I'll even use :dedede: against certain characters at times simply because DDD is such an easy character to use compared to :snake: :falco:. Not that I am downplaying :dedede:, but you don't have to mix and match a lot of tools to do well with him. Just know stick with his good stuff like bair and grab. Throw in an occasional usage of another move along with general knowledge on how to recover in this game, and you have an instant pocket :dedede:.
Besides :snake: I use :samus: but mainly for the surprise factor. :samus: doesn't do much though since she's a pretty terrible character but I've had people tell me that if I don't know a MU, I can use her since I apparently zone better with her. I can't plank all day though. It doesn't feel right.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I use ics against Oli and d3, or if snake fails in consecutive matches.

When Rc was legal, I used to play Lucas there lololol

:phone:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I really need a pocket but I still need to learn MUs with Snake before I do anything else.
Ya. Your best bet is to go solo snake till you start placing really well w/him and know your mu. And work on potential secondaries in random MM/friendlies till you're snake reaches a nice soloable level.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
at the same time, if there's a big difference between your snake and your secondary, chances are you're better off staying as snake.

i played ics at tourneys for three months (solo) before i decided to use them as a secondary. it was the only way to get them to a reasonable level (at least so they were better at snake's bad mus than my snake was).

-Ran

Smash Master
I enjoy playing characters that have separate skill sets so that on days when one of my characters is off, usually it means that one of the others will be doing well. At the very least, I have myself mentally programmed to believe that. =)

I enjoy playing characters that have separate skill sets so that on days when one of my characters is off, usually it means that one of the others will be doing well. At the very least, I have myself mentally programmed to believe that. =)
This reminds me of switching between Melee and Brawl. With Snake/Falco in Brawl with one set of controls (tap off/x special/z attack/r grab) and Falco/Marth in Melee. The switch at first was horrible. But the more often I got to going back and forth the easier it was to pick up. Now I no longer have any issues with going back and forth. Only some habits transfer over still such as attempting to fast fall/l-cancel and over aggressiveness. Or having to speed myself up in melee after playing Brawl.

I had no idea Tech. was a moderator for DDD. The blue threw me off. Good stuff.

lol Snake boards is seeing a new generation. Yourself, SuSa, Infern, Ally, Fatal, Razer, AfroThundah (lol), Etecoon, Zajice, Yume, UL, etc. The old posting crowd has stopped showing up nearly as often or is gone altogether. I'm stay around because I like trying to help out others even though I'm bad myself lol

Smashboards is sort of useless in a way. There is serious mixed in evenly with the trolling. Yet any serious discussion are people voicing there opinions on already established stuff. So your not missing out on too much 22. The real fun is at tourney/smashfests/hanging out. Dang! I want the summer to be over with already.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I had no idea Tech. was a moderator for DDD. The blue threw me off. Good stuff.
Haha yeah, it happened a few months ago. I am pretty much the life-line of the D3 boards and the center of our metagame. The boards are dead but I still do what I can. I should help out a little bit more with Snake since Im still here. I do enjoy the character now that I use him in moderation.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
im just here because the falcon boards have been lacking activity :C

lol I'm trying my best to be SuSa's replacement.

Well, if you have any ideas for us, I say go ahead and pump them out. Snake's metagame really doesn't seem to have changed in the slightest since the game's release. The only ideas I have had of late are relying on memorizing little bits of information to help you in match-ups. The small details that add up to help give you an advantage. You know such as decent stages to CP too. Which characters seem easy to tech chase and things to look for. How early you can kill people with Utilt. Hitting people off platforms puts them in edgeslip animation that some cannot get out of. Although, most of that stuff has already been done.

I suppose one thing we could do is to cycle through old guides and see which might still have relevance or have to be taken out of archive. If you go through some old 08 threads, you'll find you cannot see them anymore.

Another problem is that the game is old now. There is nothing new to be discovered, only refined. Most of the old players don't need the character boards anymore as they mostly need to refine what they already know (since nothing is new). Character boards really only help new players get a good start into playing the character.

EDIT:
@Calvo: I'm picking up Falcon for serious, I think. I love using him in friendlies when I'm not using Falco/Snake, and I think he might be a bit underrated. But I also want to learn ZSS, Sheik, Peach, and Fox..

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
Uhm, Hi, I'm a Falco main... but picking up Snake and Marth while I'm at it c;

Hope to get to know you guys! :D

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm going to be looking into the frames of Up throw for trapping people at low percents tomorrow. I have some dumb frame trap ideas that I want to test out. Lol.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
at the same time, if there's a big difference between your snake and your secondary, chances are you're better off staying as snake.

i played ics at tourneys for three months (solo) before i decided to use them as a secondary. it was the only way to get them to a reasonable level (at least so they were better at snake's bad mus than my snake was).
There's not much I'm afraid of. Marth is my most comfortable match up with Snake; I've played so many Marths that I can solidly say I have amazing experience. I feel like D3 is bearable, because I don't feel like I'm getting absolutely shut down by the D3s I play. I know the MK match up, so that's not a problem either.

I feel like the only match up where I feel really helpless against is lolimar. >_>

ALSO: I pulled something pretty sexy in KTAR6 friendlies.

I was playing a DK, and I had this sudden brainwave as soon as the game began. He started charging his Africa paunch, so I ran over. (no nades, dacus, nothing. Just RAN.) I ran up to his face (by which point he was about 2/3rds done charging) short hopped, C4 dropped (he put up his shield waiting for the dash attack, saw that I jumped right in his face, and attempted to grab oos) I used my 2nd jump, detonated the c4 and it hit because he was in his grab animation. I footstool him at 17%, he fails to tech, and I fastfall down, jab lock him to the other side of the stage (where I started) and fsmash him to 50 percentish I believe.
(It didn't kill, he braked his momentum)

I mean, can't this technically be considered a cross up? It's a way to invoke shield because Snake running usually means shield/dash attack and if you just jump right in front of their faces it might make them put down their shield in order to punish, in which case you detonate the C4.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes when im on a platform that there's already a C4 and someone tries to abuse it by attacking from below, i full hop C4 detonate like a man (Feels even better if you shield dropped a nade)

I also cover the get up attack and get up option from the Dthrow tech chase with a C4, if i guess right i get a free Uair or Bair o.o

Top Bottom