• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
melee finals was terrible. easily the least hype i've scene. people were just walking away as the sets went on.

poor razer, that pikachu mu looks impossible.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Rain, Shugo, and DEHF (all falco players) ended up in the same part of the bracket in losers. MK counterpicks or falco dittos?
in a world without MK, there will be more falco dittos

thank you for making this game even ****ier than it already was, AZ.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Aw man i wanted Razer to beat esam so bad

and razer beat RB once or twice? either way that's soo awesome and i can't wait to see it. congrats to razer for placing as high as he did.

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice
Aw man i wanted Razer to beat esam so bad

and razer beat RB once or twice? either way that's soo awesome and i can't wait to see it. congrats to razer for placing as high as he did.
Me too. Razer dabess Snake.

Pika vs Snake is miserable. I don't know who it is that thinks it's Snake's advantage, but I don't agree at all.

Razer beat Rich twice, once in loser's, once in winner's.

Attila_

BRoomer
Blame hbox.

And armada.

Terrible waste of livestream.

Good jobs snake's, you all did well. We'll practice hard and give them a lesson soon enough.

:phone:

All of apex was great today for the fact that so many unexpected things happened. But your right. After about 8pm when mango was beaten in losers, Stream was shut off.

http://selebu.getimba.de/bilder/apex_bra.gif

That's the complete bracket.
1st Otori
2nd Nietono
3rd Nairo
4th Esam
5th Kakera
5th Ally
7th Razer
7th ADHD
9th DEHF
9th OCEAN
9th GNES
9th Rich Brown
13th Dabuz
13th M2K
13th Brood
13th Rain
17th Shugo
17th Orion
17th Mr.R
17th MikeHaze
17th Zero
17th Z
17th Fatal
17th Havok
25th Coney
25th Jtails
25th Zex
25th Tyrant
25th Reflex
25th Seibrik
25th Will
25th Atomsk

Not sure if Ally still counts as a Snake guy anymore.

Attila_

BRoomer
I didn't see/hear about ally using snake at all, aside from in teams.

Good job snakes. I do recall that false also made bracket....

So hyped for brawl right now!

Mike2

Smash Ace
false and razer both lost to esam i think.

mvd you need to write a book on that matchup. we all need it i think. lol at least you've beat him -_-

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Yes, In r2 pools I beat everyone except Seibrik. Surprisingly I took out Hunger and swordgard.

glad I made it into bracket. Esam ***** me, however. Didn't know Pika was a worse MU than olimar.

Also MVD lost to Trevonte?! Damn. I wish MVD and I could exchange MU experiences.

soooo proud of myself. this tournament marks the 1 year anniversary I started playing Brawl. I'm so glad I came this far.

Attila_

BRoomer
All good razer, pity about ESAm.

That mu looks hella gay.

You should post here more often; we all like to hear from you.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Nah, I should of had Ally in winners xD. I choked and he clutched :x
But yeah pika is hard but I see room for a lot of improvement. I'll give it another try with Snake.
We'll see. I felt like when I have before, I was ignored lol.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Just because people don't respond specifically to what you say doesn't mean you are ignored. Once you've accomplished certain things and have a legit reputation people are more likely to read your posts and actually respect/believe what you say.

And I would say you fall under that category ;)

You'll get em next time.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
my boy nakat getting my back ;-;

unfortunately the matches where I lost to esam and seibrik got recorded. -_- that's it.

my game against esam was rather humiliating.

razer I wanted to friendly you. D:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Dang, should of came up and just asked False. I was going to introduce myself cause you made that little video a couple months ago but I woke up from that nap and was dead lmao.

RATED

Smash Lord
Yes, In r2 pools I beat everyone except Seibrik. Surprisingly I took out Hunger and swordgard.

glad I made it into bracket. Esam ***** me, however. Didn't know Pika was a worse MU than olimar.

Also MVD lost to Trevonte?! Damn. I wish MVD and I could exchange MU experiences.

soooo proud of myself. this tournament marks the 1 year anniversary I started playing Brawl. I'm so glad I came this far.
Good job. :) . Reading this makes me :( for not living at the US. Well I kinda do (Puerto Rico) but yeah.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Dang, should of came up and just asked False. I was going to introduce myself cause you made that little video a couple months ago but I woke up from that nap and was dead lmao.
I was watching you play Rich Brown the entire match. I was gritting my teeth, I was like literally right behind you lol. I don't understand how you **** in that mu -__- the only thing I learned from you in that MU was how to do those cross up rolls on olimar while holding nades

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
F that second match lmao. Just experience built up over time I guess. Good that you took something from our set though. Keep working on it.

zmx

Smash Lord
We need to find a way to get this place active again. Snake is such a unique character, there's so much to be learned and discussed.

The only thing I have felt like speculating on is grenade usage.

It seems to me that trying to camp with grenades against fast characters has a ton of issues. For one, pulling grenades and trying to place one takes up a ton of time. His tosses talk about half a second to deploy. Even longer to get to the place where they should be. By the time you try to get one off, a mobile character can already get close in on snake and start pressuring him and try to bait him into doing something.

If he holds one, he can't do anything except shield, grab, spot dodge, or roll. Snake is not very threatening in that form and can be baited pretty easily. The other issue is if you shield drop a nade, you have a sitting time bomb right next to you. He gets cornered by his own grenade. A fast character can get close to snake before he has time to cook it or even pick it up and throw it away. If he doesn't, he will have to do something eventually and his grenades turn on him and work in favor of the opponent.

OH, and another thing. It seems to me that people give up pressure too often with Snake and resort to grenades. You have your opponent on the ledge, but quite often I see people backing up to center stage and letting them get back on the stage scott free. Standing near the ledge about a rolls distance applies more pressure than planting explosives ever do.

This has been my own observation. But whenever I saw Ally play over a year ago, he used very few nades in certain match-ups and used a lot in others. Or changed it up depending upon the player. Often times he would charge up to his opponent. Snake is more of a mountain to circumvent than his projectiles are. Building up a wall around yourself can help in a few match-ups, but in others they do practically nothing.

tl;dr Stop overusing his projectiles and rely more on Snake himself as the weapon in certain match-ups to maintain control and pressure. Match-ups against characters like Sheik, Fox, ZSS, Pikachu, and Sonic seem good examples of this.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I would agree with you to some degree, but you still definitely can use grenades effectively against fast characters. I fight X's sonic all the time, and I would say grenades are actually really important in forcing him into certain situations. You just need to learn where you will get punished for pulling out grenades against these characters and find other options to use instead.

Difficult to say stuff I want without being misunderstood. But yeah, don't treat what I'm saying as you are not suppose to use his projectiles. Only not as much when the character or play-style is stuffing you from doing so.

zmx

Smash Lord
The only thing I have felt like speculating on is grenade usage.

It seems to me that trying to camp with grenades against fast characters has a ton of issues. For one, pulling grenades and trying to place one takes up a ton of time. His tosses talk about half a second to deploy. Even longer to get to the place where they should be. By the time you try to get one off, a mobile character can already get close in on snake and start pressuring him and try to bait him into doing something.

If he holds one, he can't do anything except shield, grab, spot dodge, or roll. Snake is not very threatening in that form and can be baited pretty easily. The other issue is if you shield drop a nade, you have a sitting time bomb right next to you. He gets cornered by his own grenade. A fast character can get close to snake before he has time to cook it or even pick it up and throw it away. If he doesn't, he will have to do something eventually and his grenades turn on him and work in favor of the opponent.

OH, and another thing. It seems to me that people give up pressure too often with Snake and resort to grenades. You have your opponent on the ledge, but quite often I see people backing up to center stage and letting them get back on the stage scott free. Standing near the ledge about a rolls distance applies more pressure than planting explosives ever do.

This has been my own observation. But whenever I saw Ally play over a year ago, he used very few nades in certain match-ups and used a lot in others. Or changed it up depending upon the player. Often times he would charge up to his opponent. Snake is more of a mountain to circumvent than his projectiles are. Building up a wall around yourself can help in a few match-ups, but in others they do practically nothing.

tl;dr Stop overusing his projectiles and rely more on Snake himself as the weapon in certain match-ups to maintain control and pressure. Match-ups against characters like Sheik, Fox, ZSS, Pikachu, and Sonic seem good examples of this.
I couldn't agree more. I found myself losing all kinds of MUs against lesser skilled players because I failed to realize that just pulling grenades isn't safe in a lot of MUs because they can easily run up and grab you. In certain MUs I feel they shouldn't be used much at all. Others you should abuse them heavily.

However, it's not just that you shouldn't use many grenades. It's that you have to learn to use them with more creativity. We are well past the point where people don't know how to deal with head on throws. That almost never works anymore. Now I'm focusing on seeing what kind of mixups I can do with them, especially via insta tossing to create as much pressure as I can.

For example, I'll sometimes short throw a grenade in front of me. This pretty much prevents them from getting in easily. Even if they grab me, the grenade will get them. If they choose not to go in, I can try to insta-toss the now cooked grenade which can often catch them by surprise. In between all of this I might be adjusting my spacing, setting traps or pulling more grenades.

Edit:

Grounded b-pivots are an extremely good tactic for spacing and such. It let's you turn around instantly while simultaneously pulling a nade. I think this has many uses that haven't been discovered.

Top Bottom