• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

IxxI

Smash Fence
LOL. Quality > Quantity when it comes to post counts.

Someone needs to tell DA k.i.d that.
He makes like 50 irrelevant posts everywhere haha.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I somehow have less posts over 6 years than people who joined months ago AND all of my posts are useless <_<

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Whatever. Half of my posts came from the Melee boards.
I'm sure that goes for everyone whose join date is before December of 2007.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I lurked more then I posted then eventually when I stopped being anti brawl I started to post.

I dont' know, work seems to be coming along well so far. Decent discussions in the 2 match-up threads so far, and a stage discussion has been renewed (please post in it :) ).

I know testing has gone down for sure, that was something we were trying. A few things came out of that such as a list of people who attacked away than towards you, towards than away or both sides on the get up attack after the Dthrow. I think it would be nice to get a list of frame data for rolls of those people next and I believe someone did distances of the rolls going away from snake and snake had the longest roll.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I unstickied it because I hate social threads being stickied. They are self-bumping.

I won't lock it unless work comes to halt (it was like.. dead for 2 days...that's not too bad, but if its all dead except this thread I will lock it for a while)

Right now this is really helping keeping spam down and such. Also I want that list of attacking people to be it's own topic, I need to find it. It was really useful information. (I'll be writing it down in a notebook and taking it with me to tourneys. Just a quick glance at the paper to see if I can easily tech chase them without shielding)

I was the one that did the data for below 100% (I have no idea if it's any different after 100%, but I didn't really got around to doing it to really find out). But it's in the thread for things to find out and testing. But is it really worth knowing for a whole thread for?

Sorry for the double post, but it's been awhile since the last one anyway and this will bump the thread. If you want to delete a post do the one above this one.

Testing for get-up attacks below 100% after snake has just used Dthrow.

Towards - Away
DK
Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Marth
Luigi
Diddy Kong
Zelda
Pit
MK
Charizard
Ike
SNake
Ness
Lucario
DDD
ICs (Both of them)
Peach
Bowser
Olimar
Jiggs
Lucas
ZSS

Away - Towards
Link
Fox
G&W
Shiek
Falco
Squirtle (Move back to avoid getting hit by away hit)
Ivysaur (Can stand and not get hit by away hit)
Sonic (Can stand and not get hit by away hit)
Wolf (Can stand and not get hit by away hit)
Yoshi (Move back to avoid getting hit by away hit)
Wario (Can stand and not get hit by away hit)
TL (Can stand and not get hit by away hit)

Both Sides
Samus
Ganon
ROB
CF

So pretty much everyone on the Away-Towards list people are the ones that are likely to be possible to get a 100% follow up on.

Will edit later with over 100% get-up attack results and other things.

SuSa

Next we need a complete list of roll distances.

(We cannot look at frame data for this. :( Rolls from dthrow go FURTHER or SHORTER (unsure about shorter) then the ROLL's that people test... I mean, roll as Snake. Then dthrow Snake and roll away.... you can easily see the difference)

So we need someone to find a way to test roll distances. (If no one gets on this by the time I get home I'll begin testing this)

Then we can organize a list of people:

A) Extremely hard to tech chase
B) Hard to tech chase
C) Easy to tech chase
C) Guarenteed follow up

Frame data will tell us the speed.

This post by "spudzalot" tells the distances.

Okay I have tested the distances of all the characters rolls after Snakes down throw.

I tested by having the character standing in the middle of Final Destination and Snake on one side. I would use Snakes Dthrow and see how far the character would roll from the middle. Then placed them into categories classified by the arrows on this stage. Here is a pic with the areas marked.

White = Character
Brown = Snake

Red = Very Far
Orange = Far
Yellow = Mid
Green = Short

And here are the results.

Very Far:
Snake

Far:
Link
Zelda
Ganon
Ivysaur
Lucario
Falco
Wolf
Marth
Ike

Mid:
Game and Watch
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
DK
Diddy
Yoshi
Wario
Shiek
Samus
ROB
King Dedede
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Fox
Lucas
Ness

Short:
Pit
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Metaknight
Olimar
Squirtle
Charizard
Jigglypuff

I would have tested speed already but I dont know how I should do it. I need some sort of thing like the arrows of FD to determine what is considered fast and what is considered slow. If anyone has any ideas that would be cool.
lol All we need is 100%+ for the get up attacks and frame data to tell us the speed of the rolls and we can then create a list of the easiest to hardest to tech chase.

*starts getting the data for 100%+*

SuSa

I can do a frame-by-frame using Gecko OS and count the frames and add onto his post with the speed.

Because while Rob goes a medium distance, he goes fast.

PS: He's also missing Zero Suit Samus and Sonic.

EDIT:

I'll start the thread and combine the 2 data's you each have gathered. When I do frame testing when I get home I'll add that as well.

SuSa

I'll start updating it soon. This computer is pretty slow and old. (Hence me including the data in the thread to minimize having to switch between tabs.)

Now all we need to know is the speed of the roll which I will start on later tonight and hopefully finish by tomorrow night.

Morningstar

Smash Journeyman
TwentyTwo: I wish your sig was of Lulu's jugs bouncing around. That'd be interesting.

How're all you funky fresh Snakes doing today?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I wonder what Jasmine has to say about that >.>, I hope anther is still with her, so this comment is valid and i'm not being a *******.
Rofl, how do you even know about her? Yeah, they're still together :D

Also, who calls me S. Panda? I think you're the only one who does that, Susa.

Btw, Lain and I are making the Snake vs D3 matchup sooooo stupid. We're both figuring out new ways of gimping each other, which is hilarious IMO.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
D3 was one of the most difficult matchups for me to learn (I'm still learning MK tho >_<). Definitely one of my least favorite matchups in the game, because if my spacing is even slightly off in a given day then I'll get destroyed.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Candy told me Snake vs DDD is even and snake can have an advantage, you just have to out camp >.>

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Candy told me Snake vs DDD is even and snake can have an advantage, you just have to out camp >.>
Camping is one way of doing the matchup. My style is a little different from traditional camping, so I've learned different ways of dealing with him.

Speaking of different, everyone keeps telling me I have a weird Snake. I probably have at least one shoutout from every tournament where someone I played says my Snake is weird. And nobody can tell me why. But whatevs, I guess thats a good thing.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yeah. You mentioned that on SMYN and I don't really see it from the vids. You plan out a little more than a lot of Snakes I see but past that......

I'm not nearly good enough at Snake to really be able to discern major differences past stage control tactics though.

Also I SH Airdodge more than most Snakes I see and I guess I need to stop because most other Snakes I play don't seem to do that. It's a baiting tactic I gained from Sonic but I'm GUESSING it's actually bad against higher level players?

nevershootme

Smash Master
Camping is one way of doing the matchup. My style is a little different from traditional camping, so I've learned different ways of dealing with him.

Speaking of different, everyone keeps telling me I have a weird Snake. I probably have at least one shoutout from every tournament where someone I played says my Snake is weird. And nobody can tell me why. But whatevs, I guess thats a good thing.
if there's a recent match video of your snake in action, then we could see and do the judgment

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
my thoughts on the DDD snake matchup

for along time i thought it was 50/50...i didnt use to camp much and i learn the snake/ DDD match just by spacing, techchasing and keeping them off the stage....it felt like snake had the advantage but every mess up cost you about 25% and leaves you in a horrible position off the stage which could have many horrible outcomes

if you learn to camp right....the matchup then becomes in snakes advantage...DDD is very limited in his approaches and taking advantage of that really helps you alot in the matchup...but aside from camping...the overall thing that you must learn for that matchup is learning to throw DDD off and keep him off....b/c if you do it right...most of the time DDD should not be able to get back on to the stage

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
my thoughts on the DDD snake matchup

for along time i thought it was 50/50...i didnt use to camp much and i learn the snake/ DDD match just by spacing, techchasing and keeping them off the stage....it felt like snake had the advantage but every mess up cost you about 25% and leaves you in a horrible position off the stage which could have many horrible outcomes

if you learn to camp right....the matchup then becomes in snakes advantage...DDD is very limited in his approaches and taking advantage of that really helps you alot in the matchup...but aside from camping...the overall thing that you must learn for that matchup is learning to throw DDD off and keep him off....b/c if you do it right...most of the time DDD should not be able to get back on to the stage
I found snake's style of edgeguarding is very effective against DDD too, but sometimes I get swallowcided, and honestly it's pretty depressing.

Rofl, how do you even know about her? Yeah, they're still together :D

Also, who calls me S. Panda? I think you're the only one who does that, Susa.

Btw, Lain and I are making the Snake vs D3 matchup sooooo stupid. We're both figuring out new ways of gimping each other, which is hilarious IMO.
lol, when we I did the interview with him, we talked outside of smash a bit, and there is the last question of the interview listed. ^^

TwentyTwo: I wish your sig was of Lulu's jugs bouncing around. That'd be interesting.

How're all you funky fresh Snakes doing today?
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool.

And I'm feeling pretty awesome, just graduated high school today :D

Top Bottom