• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question on Sheik's Chain

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I'm almost positive that its been kinda looked into in the past but not many people have found any practical uses ever.

At first thinking there were still no uses, I considered it a useless move and never even bothered to look into it.

At RoM though m2k played and used the chain to edgeguard me. Although it wasn't a very effective edgeguard I was wondering of the possibility of using it as a tactic to save your partner.

For example peach grabs the edge attemping to edgeguard Fox also your partner. You throw out the chain and leave it hanging there so that

Peach will get hit, and if peach CAN roll in time your chain will hit fox, you pull out the chain and you saved your partner.

The other application although probably less useful is that the chain apparently is HUGE. I believe in tournament m2k(sheik) + Jman(Fox) vs PC(Fox) + Mango(Jiggs) on stadium. The rock part came up and PC hid in the middle part, so m2k chains through the platforms and just gets a lot of free damage.

What I wanna know is.... can anyone explain the mechanics of the chain? I'm considering using it in my doubles play and of course if I can learn it I would love to try it out on Pokemon Stadium.

Oh and if anyone has any PRACTICAL ideas I would love to hear them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I know you can suicide gimp space animals in hilarious ways with it.

I'll ask Grmo. He used to use it a lot. When he was decent. Now he just wants to play bad characters like Peach because he injured himself playing guitar and because apparently he was born with a hand defect. Weak johns imo.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i'm just gonna ask that you stop posting in blue. it is hard to read, especially on the black background.

i know you really want to stand out or seem unique, but most people wont even read what you have to say if it hurts their eyes.

soap

Smash Hero
Yo chain is amazing, i just forget to use it, but i have done alot of experimentation with it in the past.

it is indeed good for saving teammates like that.

1. edgeguard marth + roy with chain if u cant take ledge before his up can hit u away. They usually live, but u get alot of free damage that u wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Easier than spacing needles and fairs repeatedly imo.

And if they do sweetspot, a stupid trick i use is to pressure them on the ledge with the chain quickly then release and downsmash their roll.

2. It ***** pokemon stadium, also good on top of the fin at corneria haha.

3. Use the jump cancelled chain to get quick momentum and spacing. U can do this to retreat or advance quickly while pulling it out, this helps with the startup lag cuz u are whippin it out while moving.

4. Learn how to work it. to protect yourself from cooldown lag whip it from down 3/4 to forward and RELEASE. The hitbox goes forward while she starts to put it away and u have a very small window in which to be hit.

5. Use #4 motion with aerial chain and u get RIDICULOUSLY more range, like samus extender range.

I tried to show 3-5 in this vid i made a while back. Around 1:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jFOFTovBgk&feature=channel_page

btw u can't dsf without the chain, dsf is 2 pro

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
It ***** Spacies edgeguard especially on Stadium. You can still do it to like 999 vs them. Just make sure if they go straight up, they don't reach up there because then they get hit and then grab the ledge. So, as long as you keep them below the stage you can keep edgeguarding them with it.

Soap posted a lot of useful info. Good stuff.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I agree with the Edgeguard against Marf, 'cuz I did it. Then I used it while spacing. Then it was Dthrow->Ftilt->Fair ftw. That was most definitely on the fly though. (I did a lot of random and useful...outside of the box stuff at SPOC.) It can be useful, since most people wouldn't be expecting it. I definitely saw potential in my Sheik this weekend. I may even start looking into random Chain uses myself. That was fun.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I've seen videos recently (cba with link) of M2k using the chain at its maximum range i.e. he's as far away from the opponent as possible, and the opponent being on the edge and him just wiggling the end of it. It seemed to actually work quite well, but the time I saw it was a friendly so maybe the risk-reward isn't too great. But maybe it's also character dependant, I can imagine that sort of thing might really **** over a Ganondork.

soap

Smash Hero
Hey that stage is amazing.
they may as well have made the stage with 2 tents on the sides in addition to cranky's cabin.

im not bad there still. I lol when i get counterpicked there.

i only counterpick neutrals, spacies are better on most counterpicks imo

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Lol. Yeah, I usually cp neutrals unless I'm feeling lucky.

soap

Smash Hero
i saw a gimpyfish vid where he does a bunch of brawl sheik chain recovery tricks

it was kinda cool

but not cool enough to make me wanna play brawl sheik

Impp

Smash Ace
A guy I play with would use the chain as he was recovering, so it looked like he was gonna die, but then he still had enough time to pull the chain in and up B on the ledge.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^That does not sound very practical.

I would like to see a video of that working, please.

Impp

Smash Ace
It's not practical, but he did it once on accident and as soon as I see the chain while he's recovering I figure he's dead, so I don't bother edge guarding... then he makes it back and I was like "whoa." After that he tried doing it every time he recovered, and completely played it out... But it worked on me once.

And Soap, that vid was crazy.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
For example peach grabs the edge attemping to edgeguard Fox also your partner. You throw out the chain and leave it hanging there so that

Peach will get hit, and if peach CAN roll in time your chain will hit fox, you pull out the chain and you saved your partner.
Since it's so unexpected you can use it in a team battle to mindgame a reverse edgeguard.

Let's use the same scenario you set up.

Peach is on the ledge while Fox is preparing for a sweetspot or ledgecancel.

You use chain to knock off Peach from the edge because she was mostly likely expecting something else and will take the hit.

Fox's spaced Firefox will not hit Peach meaning she will still be off the ledge, barely brushing off of Fox.

Fox drops off and shines.

The End.

Sure needles can work too, but she will be expecting that and with the less amount of hitlag compared to the whip, she can still be able to finish off Fox.

Situational, but still somewhat practical, eh.

LEEEOOOOO

Smash Rookie
if you can get the opponent off the edge its actually a pretty cheap and effective damage racker... let it hang from the edge while you're still a distance away from their up b incase it connects, and just flick your control stick to let your hang whip itself around... works most of the time and can usually use it to get up to like 180+ at which point you downsmash.. doesn't work on every character though

Top Bottom