• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Gold Coast presents P.M.S - Public Monthly Smash [31st Oct @ 5pm]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

So a few people know about this already, but djKaion and I are planning on starting Monthlies on the Gold Coast.

We plan on running them out of a console gaming lounge located at the Robina Town Centre:
http://www.dexteritygames.com.au/index.php

$10 per person would just about cover the fee I think, but that's before putting anything towards a pot.

There are several advantages to running through Dexterity Games:
1. Heightened Public Profile for competitive smash
2. No need to bring TV's
3. GC Venue! WOOT WOOT WOOT

Details:
Just a few rough Details:

Dexterity Games
Shop 24b Robina Super Centre
86-106 Robina Town Centre Drive,
Robina, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia. 4221.

Phone: (07) 5578 8480
Fax: (07) 5578 8926

By public transport it's easy to get to, and since nobody will be transporting TV's, it's probably the best means of getting to the venue. Just take a train to Robina, then either walk or catch a bus.

What do ya'll think?

All the credit should go to djKaion, who is spear heading this himself, but wants me to organise people.

We need to hear what people think because this is something we need to preplan, book and place a deposit on, soo... yeah.

We're aiming for September 11 as the date of the first monthly, which would be a Friday night.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Omg hype hype hype!
Monthlies 5 mins away from me, and one more thing to add, BASKIN 'N ROBBINS meet after! =D
Sounds awesome Antho, kudos to you and Chris =D

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
**** YEAH!
Great name too! :laugh:

And location!
Amazing! So much great food there! YEEEEEEAAAHHHHZZZZZ!!!!!!
Just how many TVs do they have though?
Cause if we can have a few more...its NO effort whatsoever for me to bring a couple more.
And what sorta time frame do we have?

Either way, SQUEEEEE!!!!!!!! :bee:

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Looks like we're gonna have to car pool this Brisbane peeps.

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
This is gonna be a 5pm - 9pm event. How does this suit people being in the night?

This place is 2 minutes by bus from Robina station, the last stop on the Gold Coast line. You could fall asleep on the train to the GC and still make it.

Brawl AND Melee and even SF4 will be held if there are enough people. NOBODY BRING TVS as they are at the venue, and depending on how many people are coming I can change how many TVs we reserve (road trip with people not TVs) I'd like one TV for every two people, and I'd like everyone coming to say which game they'll probably play the most so I know how to spread the TVs so everyone can be playing.

I want this to be a public Smash meet but I'd also like to hold a tourney from 6pm for either Brawl or Melee - I'd like this to be decided on a majority vote and then next month it will change to the opposite game. Entry to the venue is $10 so anyone wanting to enter the tourney would have to pay an extra $10 to make a pot. Would anyone be keen to do this?

I could ask them about bringing more TVs. They have 12 set up there so I don't wanna ask them unless I think at least 25 people are coming. Bob I wouldn't mind if you had your usual 64 TV as well.

I was kind of inspired by STIGMA with this, they have a monthly but if QLD had TWO monthlies imagine the possibilities...

REMEMBER SEPTEMBER 11 WITH PMS ON THE GC

swordsaint

Smash Master
the smoke looks like a ***** and the two explosions like a pair of testicles

also, 4 hours for how many events?

brawl/melee/sf4 seems like an impossibility considering the time frame

Edit:

Could you put travel details for out of staters? Depending on the travel distances and everything else. I'd be honoured to be there for Kaions first monthly period...

Like, how far is it by Train from the Gold Coast's airport, and specific directions from Robina Station to the venue.

And a note on the pot. $10 entry, $5 pot.

$20 bucks isn't really reasonable.

I'm hyped.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
**** looks awfully X-Box360.
We just want their TV's.
We'd still need to provide Wii's/Cubes as well as the games.

It looks awfully 360, but they actually have setups for PS2's and PC as well.
Just nothing with Nintendo, but I can't imagine anyone being surprised by that.

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
What Vyse said. It's easier to fit a Wii in your bag than a TV. The pot is going to be $10 Scott.

This is a Public Smash Meet, there will be a tourney but the idea is to play as many different people in Brawl Melee or SF4. There will be only one tourney which will only take as many TVs as needed, so people who want to play friendlies all day still can. If the tournament becomes a Brawl tourney the Melee players can conduct their own or just keep playing Melee friendlies.

I want to make sure there is always a TV to verse on, so think of it like an intense training session to complement Hotdog's Monthly tournies. We're gonna try and have these at opposite ends of the month, his will always be a tourney with doubles, this is more meant to be like a public meet. Might even draw some new people in.

This is definate too. 5pm - 9pm. I've booked 6 TVs. If enough people post that they're coming I can expand that to up to 12 TVs.

Brisbane Airport train goes direct to Robina Station, PMS is 2 minutes by bus from there.

I'll do some research on all these things later.

Zero

Smash Hero
lol Perpetual Motion Squad

I'm surprised there's no member discount or entry reduction. But $10 pot is fine.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Well its kinda hard to exactly spread news about this tourny by word of mouth then.
Could you imagine sitting in class turning to your mate and going
"Dude, dude theres these smash tournies on every month you should totally come"
"Ok whats it called?"
"Public monthly smash"
"... PMS?"
"Yeah" :laugh:

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
**** friday night 5-9pm. alot of good stuff happens friday night.

but if im not out getting wasted I'll definately come play some smash.

Saturday is usually my night anyway.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Looks good...

Although may have to be Brawl only

From the photos it looks like they only have plasmas, you can't play melee on plasmas.....

Also ppl will have to bring HD cables for the Wiis

I have some

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That is a concern. If they're anything like the plasma's we played on at Havok's, they should run Melee fine I think.

I guess this will make or break it for Melee at least, though, I don't want to have to be buying HD cables either.

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
awww Vyce, couldn't you of done this while i was up there, this meet has everything
DISAPPOINTED!!!!
I might have to come up for a holiday for one of these, so long as people don't take forever in baskin robins,
Kas and I will be in there forever if people are slow.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
did the HDTV' at havok's have any delay at all?

any delay at all sucks for melee :( even the tiniest. my TV with 8ms is like playing a different game, can't L cancel at all.

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
I have two HD cables so if Ben brings his then that will mean at least 3 TVs will be Melee friendly.

Do people think the majority will want a Brawl tourney or a Melee tourney?

Or a SFIV tourney...

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I have two HD cables so if Ben brings his then that will mean at least 3 TVs will be Melee friendly.

Do people think the majority will want a Brawl tourney or a Melee tourney?

Or a SFIV tourney...
Im pretty sure melee still lags.. running through a Wii with HD cables...

We only have LCDs at my house I don't know if they are the same/worse/better as far as lag goes

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
This is definate too. 5pm - 9pm. I've booked 6 TVs.
Alright, I'm coming for sure.
Now some stuff...

- 3 pages already...FFS people, I really enjoy reading **** after 12 hour days just so I can keep up with whats happening in a smashing sense. Really ****ing love it.

-Is there room for us to put TVs if we bring em?
Cause IF the TVs lag then its NO effort, NONE at all for me to bring like 4 of the buggers, and it doesn't take up any human room in my car. Know what I mean?
5 people and 0 TVs is exactly the same as 5 people and 4 TVs just people complain if they have to tank a TV and they are WEAK ****S...:p

-No need for Brisbane people to roadtrip it, this is perfectly located for public transport. Still if anyone needs a lift I WILL drive ya ****!

-Lets make the first tourny Brawl just because we can't be sure Melee won't lag, so we can test it out this time.

Other than that, good stuff Chris! I've been dreaming of something like this.
I'd be happy to do weekly meets there even! Lets just see how it goes though, yo.
I'll bring Diddy Kong Racing so people can complain they didn't win because they didn't play the game the night before. :)

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
BUMPED like a....I don't know.

Not far now!
Ahhh, will have to ask for an early start on that Friday at work.
I'll be there...but petty tired. Oh well, for the love of the game hey? :D

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This is happening this weekend bros.
Just bumping to get peeps talking.

I might close the Queensland Smash Meets thread today so that it all redirects to Scott's thread.
We'll see.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Acknowledging Arrow's post - traffic might be a bit lame, no?
I remember the days when Zac housed tournaments at his house, and people went to that.
If we have tournaments, Bob should let us use his garage or something, at least that way we won't be destroying the good part of his house, and at least it's free, although if not then there's no venue charge.

We could even play on the deck or downstairs or something, and have finals inside or something.
But still, that's using Bob. :C
No one else has a big house, though - what about the guy in Logan? Matt?

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
This place is gonna be open from 4:30 for us to set up. REMEMBER TO BRING CONSOLES NOT TVS
$10 venue entry and as much Brawl Melee & SF4 as you can play in 4 hours.
Further $10 tourney entry

There is a 3:21 train leaving Central Station heading to Robina. This will reach Robina at 4:40, if anyone is catching this train from Brisbane and wants a lift PM me and I might be able to transport you to the venue. Same goes to any drivers who think they may need directions on the day.

Anyone hopping on somewhere else along the line can find their stop below:
http://www.citytrain.com.au/plan_yo...aysOp=64&sWeekday=Monday&sFareDate=11/09/2009

I'd like to remind everyone that Melee Brawl & SF4 are welcome, as people arrive we can just take up extra TVs so if 6 people wanna come just for SF4 or Melee and host their own tourney they're more than welcome to. Or even a Diddy Kong Racing tourney...

All money from the main pot will go directly towards 1st 2nd & 3rd, if ten people enter first and second will be $70 and $30 respectively. I won't start the main tourney until at least 6pm so people who work can make it. I'd like to do a round robin but I don't know what everyone else thinks of that format.

I'm bringing 2 Wiis, one with Brawl and one with Melee. I'll also have two HDMI cables for the Melee players and there's at one TV there that isn't a plasma to use.

Who's coming??? :dizzy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom