• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
does anyone have info on the chain grab. Like who it works on and until what %'s??
Help would be greatly appreciated. :)
i'm guessing you're talking about the FP chain grab (side b)

it really only works on fattys and space animals but don't rely on it. anyone can break out of it by mashing the buttons.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, you know that nair of Lucario's and how it autocancels landing lag? Does autocanceling mean it has the same amount of lag as just plain landing on the ground?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
can you clear up the whole "aura in doubles" thing? I remember seeing it discussed once a while back but dont remember if there was ever a solid conclusion, and now I can't find the thread.

thanks!
bumping this one =p...

smasher1206

Smash Rookie
hey guys, i have a few questions. are there any ATs that require GC to do? and also what move should i do when i DI?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
GC? Do you mean Chain Grab? We don't have one. And I'm assuming when you mean DI it's where you're knocked-off-and-hoping-to-live-a-little-longer-kind-of DI. Fair is the best aerial, since nair takes forever to get out and dair doesn't do anything to help.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Any AT that requires a C-Stick.
Which pertaining to lucario, and how few there is, covers about half the spectrum.

I'm more then sure by reasoning you can figure out which ones require C-stick. But possibly the only AT needed to know is directional ES. Which for example you hold up right after ES'ing, if you hold the C-stick left, Lucario will travel Up and Left.

But even then you dont even need to use C-stick, but it will make for a much straighter angle if you do.

Also Pseudo-Sticking (aka C-sticking) is easier to use with a C-stick. Go figure.
-t2

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
GC is overall a better option, merely because the button distribution is nice, there are some features you can use on GC that you can't with remote (C-stick), and it isn't a pain to get the Wii to recieve your signal. You can still do Wii remote + nunchuk, but you are generally doing yourself a favor by making the switch to something more towards the GC.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I keep trying to convince my friends of that but they still stubbornly use the nunchuck=wiimote coz its "easier". go figure.

Milln

Smash Champion
Bahaha, sounds so intense.
Sorta. Just in case you don't know how to perform it:

Run, flick backwards just enough to put yourself in the skid animation, immediately jump and hold the joystick in the direction you want to travel.

Bam.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Quick question: If a Kirby is shielding, can Lucario use a fast falled nair on Kirby's shield and spot dodge before Kirby has a chance to grab? This is assuming both characters use perfect timing.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Quick question: If a Kirby is shielding, can Lucario use a fast falled nair on Kirby's shield and spot dodge before Kirby has a chance to grab? This is assuming both characters use perfect timing.
Kirby's grab is out on frame 6, and lucario can spot dodge on frame 2 and nair is out on frame 6 (assuming all the frame data from grabs and lucario is accurate).
That means you have 4 frames to land which is equal to 1/15 of a second to land. Since nair auto cancels so there's no landing lag.

Since we have perfect timing you can get the nair hitbox to hit a few frames b4 landing. You should be able to spot dodge b4 kirby can grab.

However I find it highly unlikely you'll strike kirby b4 he grabs because you're waiting until the last second to nair.

Milln

Smash Champion
Kirby's grab is out on frame 6, and lucario can spot dodge on frame 2 and nair is out on frame 6 (assuming all the frame data from grabs and lucario is accurate).
That means you have 4 frames to land which is equal to 1/15 of a second to land. Since nair auto cancels so there's no landing lag.

Since we have perfect timing you can get the nair hitbox to hit a few frames b4 landing. You should be able to spot dodge b4 kirby can grab.

However I find it highly unlikely you'll strike kirby b4 he grabs because you're waiting until the last second to nair.
That's not what he's saying. Nair before you're landing, or even close to landing and fast falling it, since it last a long time. Nair also doesn't have zero landing lag and you especially can't cancel that with a spotdodge fast enough to avoid a grab from any character. Also, Kirby grabbing you before you nair, is unlikely because if I know anything about mentality and strategy, a Kirby player will not attempt to grab a Lucario out of the air when there's the possibility of getting naired or Daired.

I know Lucario gets soft countered by MK, Marth, D3, G&W and Snake, but who's his overall worst match-up?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Prolly Meta Knight. Cause he's a jerk.

Marth and Dedede are equally such jerks. Game and Watch, I personally don't have trouble with, but Snake's a jerk, too.

Browny

Smash Hater
he has equal quickest with a lot of characters, but his goes the farthest of all characters as well. thats why its pretty much the best roll in the game :)

Mewter

Smash Master
This morning, I was messing around with Lucario in training, when I noticed I could change direction in midjump while charging aura sphere. I apologize if this has already been discovered, but I just found this just thought it was cool. So, my question is, has anyone else noticed this?
How can this effectively be used for mindgames?
I also noticed that this is applicable to almost any character with a B projectile.

Timbers

check me out
I know Lucario gets soft countered by MK, Marth, D3, G&W and Snake, but who's his overall worst match-up?
I personally think Olimar, Snake, and DDD are his hardest.

GaW becomes really easy once you learn to SDI bair and nair (emphasis on the bair because you can score free dairs even if you get hit) and avoiding his smashes lets you live for a good while, whereas he's paper and a lot of his moves leave him in punishable lag should he whiff. Marth has the good pressure options but lack of reliable killers and options to Luc's own kill potential helps a lot. MK you just need to recover really really really well. I never found the matchup to be nearly as gay as the 3 first mentioned in my post. Dair is a good option to almost every one of MK's setups (just don't dair the shield) and aurasphere works well in baiting and punishing aerial pressure.

Even if you were perfectly applying the nair the frame before you land, you still have to take into account shieldstun/hitlag and landing frames (you have landing frames from anything, even if you don't use a move you still are vulnerable for several frames)
he has equal quickest with a lot of characters, but his goes the farthest of all characters as well. thats why its pretty much the best roll in the game :)
It's a good roll, **** shame that his close quarters game is less than appealing.
This morning, I was messing around with Lucario in training, when I noticed I could change direction in midjump while charging aura sphere. I apologize if this has already been discovered, but I just found this just thought it was cool. So, my question is, has anyone else noticed this?
How can this effectively be used for mindgames?
I also noticed that this is applicable to almost any character with a B projectile.
I normally don't use it as I think it's inferior to dair stalling, but I'm thinking of implementing it against characters with arched/windmill properties to their uairs.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhDT6mbOrE
I know, it's a japanese match, but notice on 3:05. It looks like lucario did a FS jump, but it also looked like he nicked a wall jump out of it too. I'm wondering if that is true, is there a way to angle ES to cancel an attempt to grab the ledge (because if it's hogged, then lucario will bounce painfully off of it and die) by holding down or something, and walljumping off the ledge itself? I know it's possible without a ledgehogger, but I've only done it like once or twice with a edgehogger trying to stop me. If so, and if it's applicable, does this mean stages like BF where wall jumping off the ledge is easier just became added to lucario's list of "harder to gimp" options?

Milln

Smash Champion
He didn't ES. You could always wall JUMP off of that part of FD, but not cling to it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I know about the whole "he can jump stuff, but he can't cling". In fact, it's a lot easier on BF.
But isn't there a way to cancel the ledge cling/fail animation for ES? If not, oh well, back to the drawing board.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It shouldn't matter on FD, since you can cling onto the "lip" underneath.
But what about BF's ledge, where you don't get the clingable ledge, and only the jumpable?
Edit: I think you're thinking of the clingable lip Timbers, not the little ledge part where people can edgehog.
The video will explain what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdIivBL7zk&feature=channel_page
@2:12, except I was wondering if ES could cancel so that you don't have that "fail bounce" when you hit the lip on something like BF so that you could wall jump/FS jump off the ledge for recovery. Then that would make our recovery less vulnerable.

Timbers

check me out
did you just imply i thought wallclinging to that big *** wall under the lip was hard to do lol.

When I say FD lip I mean the lip, not the barnyard size of a wall underneath it.

And it's still very difficult to do (perhaps impossible without someone else hanging on the ledge due to his huge ledgesnap) to get a cling out of the ES.

EDIT: There's a match floating around on youtube somewhere that has an ES to wallcling on the FD lip. I've done it 2 or 3 times but it's always been because of my poor judgement of trying to no-lag land on the FD stage and ended up sticking to the ledge as someone tried to hog me. You have to hit like the very most highest part of the ledge, or something.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
But my argument is that if it's possible on FD (which is useless, since it's ridiculously hard and there's already a clingable lip), It's therefore possible on BF, which is not only easier, but more useful, since there isn't a solid "clingable" area, but if we could cancel the ledgesnap on ES to BF so that we could jump off it even while it's being edgehogged, that could mean our weakness in certain stages for recovery becomes potentially even LESS. Wouldn't that be great? ^_^

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
*sigh*
Here's the video again:
@ 2:30, you can jump off of it if you DI into the wall, but it doesn't "cling", so I was wondering on a stage like BF where there's no "clingable" wall, can you cancel the ledgesnap and turn the end of the ES into a walljump off the ledge (P.S. Plz look at the video to show what I mean, then apply that to a ledgehogger).

Browny

Smash Hater
it makes sense phil. But i dont think anyones ever seen it. dont forget, brawl doesnt make sense in the first place :)

Timbers

check me out
*sigh*
Here's the video again:
@ 2:30, you can jump off of it if you DI into the wall, but it doesn't "cling", so I was wondering on a stage like BF where there's no "clingable" wall, can you cancel the ledgesnap and turn the end of the ES into a walljump off the ledge (P.S. Plz look at the video to show what I mean, then apply that to a ledgehogger).
the FD lip has a clingable wall.

Battlefield does not. Probably because it's slanted or something idk.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yes, we know. BF can be jumpable on the ledge though. watch the vid @ 2:30 to see what I mean. You can actually wall-jump off the ledge. The question is, can you cancel ES to jump off the ledge without the ledgesnap interfering?
This is going on and on in circles, I'll just test it myself when a Wii comes along.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Is there a way to dair without stopping Lucario's momentum?
Yes and No.
Yes it is possible to dair with out stopping Lucario's momentum, however it normally involves a second person.

Exactly how its done, is dry to me atm, someone else can fill that in.
-t2

Timbers

check me out
Yes, we know. BF can be jumpable on the ledge though. watch the vid @ 2:30 to see what I mean. You can actually wall-jump off the ledge. The question is, can you cancel ES to jump off the ledge without the ledgesnap interfering?
your..last post said that you were talking about whether or not Lucario could cling to the battlefield lip..

Top Bottom