• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

shikamaru526

Smash Rookie
So the OP post said to ask stuff about brawl techniques. But I'm totally stuck.
Where can I watch someone play Toon Link really well?
Sorry if there is somewhere else to ask this. And Thanks in advance.

ZodiacT42

Smash Rookie
Quick question...

How do you wall cling?

I know it's pretty basic technique but I couldn't figure out how to do it with him. I'm new to Lucario, thanks.

Milln

Smash Champion
Quick question...

How do you wall cling?

I know it's pretty basic technique but I couldn't figure out how to do it with him. I'm new to Lucario, thanks.
Sup buddy. <3

We don't call it "Wall Cling" because that signifies that Lucario is frightened or trying hard, which is inconceivable. We prefer to say "Bro out on the wall." or "Wall Hang."

You Chill on the Wall by being in the air near a wall and holding the movement joystick towards the wall. To Bro-Out straight out of Extreme Speed, it's the same thing.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
does the lucario boards have a tourney result thread?

LightAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Meta knight does not always win. There are akways people who are not scared of the fear which tier lists usually create.

Anyway, it does not concern me.

I wanted to ask two things about lucario, if youd let me.

1. Which throw is better for what purpose?
I think upthrow is good for coecting combos afterwards, and forward throw is better for KO´s, or isnt it like that? And the other two?

2. What can be linked to the AAA?
Like, AA then side B?
Or AA then grab?
Or is it better to AAA?

Milln

Smash Champion
Meta knight does not always win. There are akways people who are not scared of the fear which tier lists usually create.

Anyway, it does not concern me.

I wanted to ask two things about lucario, if youd let me.

1. Which throw is better for what purpose?
I think upthrow is good for coecting combos afterwards, and forward throw is better for KO´s, or isnt it like that? And the other two?

2. What can be linked to the AAA?
Like, AA then side B?
Or AA then grab?
Or is it better to AAA?
Throws:

Fthrow for killing
Uthrow for combos or linking to a KO-ing Uair
Bthrow and Dthrow for gauranteed 10% and spacing.

AAA:

AA Side B works against people that don't know about it.
AA Grab is safer.
AAA is gud. =o
AA>Ftilt or Fsmash is Mindgames
AA>ExtremeSpeed is god mode.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Throws:

Fthrow for killing
Uthrow for combos or linking to a KO-ing Uair
Bthrow and Dthrow for gauranteed 10% and spacing.

AAA:

AA Side B works against people that don't know about it.
AA Grab is safer.
AAA is gud. =o
AA>Ftilt or Fsmash is Mindgames
AA>ExtremeSpeed is god mode.
Add A>FP and A>grab. Also, I love AA>Extremespeed (especially Extremeawesome!) and the occasional AA>DT (which is the best option ever, like it's so good, after you initiate the combo, you can drop the controller and marvel at the epicness of this combo and the game will end and go to the win screen with you in 1st, it's that good!!!11!one!exclamationsituation!)

LightAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the answer.
Though, i just read that F-throw is the same as force palm, but that force palm has range and deals more damage, making F-throw useless. Is it true?

Also,
"AA>Ftilt or Fsmash is Mindgames
AA>ExtremeSpeed is god mode."

Why is it mindgames? Wont it... hit the other guy?
ANd whats the use of doing extreme speed after AA, LOL, what for? I just imagine me doing it and being seriously punished afterwards

And thanks Phin1ny3 for the tip... AA-Down-throw is it? Ill try it : D

Then ill drop the controller and see what happens. Though i wont worry, if you say i automatically win,, nothing bad should happen.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Thanks for the answer.
Though, i just read that F-throw is the same as force palm, but that force palm has range and deals more damage, making F-throw useless. Is it true?

Also,
"AA>Ftilt or Fsmash is Mindgames
AA>ExtremeSpeed is god mode."

Why is it mindgames? Wont it... hit the other guy?
ANd whats the use of doing extreme speed after AA, LOL, what for? I just imagine me doing it and being seriously punished afterwards

And thanks Phin1ny3 for the tip... AA-Down-throw is it? Ill try it : D

Then ill drop the controller and see what happens. Though i wont worry, if you say i automatically win,, nothing bad should happen.
I hope the last line was sarcastic, 'cuz I plead the "!!!oneeleven!11!" clause. Oh, and I meant Down B as in Double Team, aka, one of lucario's worst moves ever. Basically, don't do AA Extremespeed or AA Double Team, they're horrible (this time I'm not being sarcastic, they really are horrible).

Milln

Smash Champion
I hope the last line was sarcastic, 'cuz I plead the "!!!oneeleven!11!" clause. Oh, and I meant Down B as in Double Team, aka, one of lucario's worst moves ever. Basically, don't do AA Extremespeed or AA Double Team, they're horrible (this time I'm not being sarcastic, they really are horrible).
Are you insane? You liar, AA>ExtremeSpeed is AWESOME.

LightAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Okay...

First of all: Phin1ny3, i did the combo you said and dropped the controller, and guess what, i didnt win! So i waited to see if it was just lag or something but they guy killed me, twice!
Why do you ssay things like that if they are not true? THats not cool...

Second, Double team rocks, at least for me. ITs just so cool. Plus i won many games by standing on the edge and waiting for the other one to recover by hitting and simply sending him flying away, so easily.

Third, Infit-tan... whats the use of AA>Extreme speed? Getting easily hit?

And whats "sarcastic"? Never heard that word before O_o

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Did you roar? Did you ignite your hands with spontaneous blue fire and grow spikes out of your hands and chest? If not, you did it wrong, and messed up the procedure. Remember, there is only one tenth of a frame between success and failure, so don't choke.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Remember, there is only one tenth of a frame between success and failure, so don't choke....
...or trip, or faceplant, or make a garden, or try to play volleyball, or learn a new language.

and you guys are forgetting A>A> Up-taunt.
its an Adventure.
-t2

LightAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Did you roar? Did you ignite your hands with spontaneous blue fire and grow spikes out of your hands and chest? If not, you did it wrong, and messed up the procedure. Remember, there is only one tenth of a frame between success and failure, so don't choke.

OK then, i will keep practicing restlessly. I know ill get it someday : D

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
HEY LUCAS BOARDS.

Seriously, here's my story.
I mean DK, I need to get some good secondaries up, Lucario is awesome and furry, I like to rub my nipples when I play as him.
Next up.
I need to get better with him, I'm already good but good doesn't win tournies. I've been reading up and watching vids, but the best way to get good with a character is to fight that character.
So, I need some wifi matches against some good Lucario users, specifically ones good enough to get out of pools in tournies at least. Please don't post "I added you Kalm cyz around" because I'm cramming, the tourny is next weekend. Please PM me or IM me on AIM/MSN, I would love to have some conversation with you guys.
I WOULD LOVE IT. I'm serious about this character and I''m asking for help trying to get him respectable.
Now, Q+A.
1. Does Lucario have shield pushback resistance, what moves other than Fsmash have noticable shield pushback?
2. Fair is amazing, how should I use it on grounded opponents. Weave in and out and poke, or jump over them and Dair?
3. I'm hanging on the ledge, please tell me what are my best options.
4. What causes ES to sometimes not stick to walls? Not talking about non clingy walls, talking about Yoshi's Island stage side, I had him smack the wall and fall like a failure Falco or something.
5. What are Lucario's best stages, worst?
6. Lucario vs D3, quick estimate on the odds?

I appreciate any time given to me, I would love to hear/converse/fight with and from you guys. I would even be happy to become part of the community and contribute if it looks like there's a decent place for me.

Kalm and stuff.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
HEY LUCAS BOARDS.

Seriously, here's my story.
I mean DK, I need to get some good secondaries up, Lucario is awesome and furry, I like to rub my nipples when I play as him.
Next up.
I need to get better with him, I'm already good but good doesn't win tournies. I've been reading up and watching vids, but the best way to get good with a character is to fight that character.
So, I need some wifi matches against some good Lucario users, specifically ones good enough to get out of pools in tournies at least. Please don't post "I added you Kalm cyz around" because I'm cramming, the tourny is next weekend. Please PM me or IM me on AIM/MSN, I would love to have some conversation with you guys.
I WOULD LOVE IT. I'm serious about this character and I''m asking for help trying to get him respectable.
Now, Q+A.
1. Does Lucario have shield pushback resistance, what moves other than Fsmash have noticable shield pushback?
2. Fair is amazing, how should I use it on grounded opponents. Weave in and out and poke, or jump over them and Dair?
3. I'm hanging on the ledge, please tell me what are my best options.
4. What causes ES to sometimes not stick to walls? Not talking about non clingy walls, talking about Yoshi's Island stage side, I had him smack the wall and fall like a failure Falco or something.
5. What are Lucario's best stages, worst?
6. Lucario vs D3, quick estimate on the odds?

I appreciate any time given to me, I would love to hear/converse/fight with and from you guys. I would even be happy to become part of the community and contribute if it looks like there's a decent place for me.

Kalm and stuff.
I really wish I could do wi-fi, but my wii is helping family members for therapeutic reasons. Now for the Q&A
1. In resistance, do you mean against other pushing smashes? I haven't put much though, although our fsmash is somewhat one of a kind. Ftilt has some push back on shield, and a tiny bit on dsmash, but those are the only noticeable ones on the ground. In the air, I think bair has some, but don't know for sure.
2. Fair is amazing. It's only one frame slower than jab, which is great. for when to use it, depends on what your opponent does. If he is more defensive and waits around with a shield, chances are you'll want to wall a bit with it, weave and wave it around so that jumping and running are limited for your opponent. for fair-> dair, you'll have to connect with the fair before you can, so use it in a string. Same applies for fair-> fair, or fair -> nair.
3. On the edge, there are a few things you can do. Ledgehop (let go of the edge, then use second jump) a fair, uair, or pseudo-sticked ASC (Milln's favorite) if your opponent hasn't tried to set you up for a edgeguarding smash attack, but besides ASC, the other optins are also horrible against a shield. ledge jump to dair works well against oppoenents who have a sucky vertical killer or aerial. Get up attack itself isn't that bad, has humongous priority, and the under 100% one (where he lunges quickly) will sometimes put them on a backwards trajectory, and the over 100 is ok if they were prepping a punisher (it outprioritizes things, then attacks with like 14% on them at cap). Roll is good if they are too close to the edge. Edge game as a whole is tough for most characters (unless you're like yoshi, MK, or G&W). Just learn to force reaction, then do accordingly.
4. Depends. There's an Inner Fire video (one of the best video guides for lucario stuff) that covers this, but usually it involves one of these things:
-You didn't hold the control stick towards the stage, or not long enough, to cling
-you messed up, and even though you clinged, you fumbled controls which made you input like an attack instead of a jump.
-You were completely parallel to the wall, and you can't do a cling (they did it because of inconcise box programming) unless your a certain distance from the wall.
-you were too far below stage (on Yoshi's Island, the limit is where the character percentage and stock display are), and you can't cling there.
These are the most common.
5. Best: Yoshi's Island, Frigate Orpheon, PS1, Luigi's Mansion, Jungle Japes a few other ones.
worst: Corneria, Lylat Cruise (although I kind of do well on it), Rainbow Cruise.
6. One of our worst matchups, I'd say at least 60:40, but prolly 65:35 disadvantage for lucario.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I freakin hate D3 so much.

So, yes I heard somewhere and had this feeling that Lucario, when shielding, doesn't suffer as much pushback as most other characters, I was wondering if this was confirmed or could be confirmed.
When hitting the edge I went into freefall, annoying.
D3 is a balloon full of **** and should explode just for being around Lucario's sexy.
That about answered my Q&A other than what I mentioned there, thank you a lot.
Now all I need are Lucario's frequenting my friends list.

Oranges.

Browny

Smash Hater
Yeah thats true. Lucario has one of, if not the highest traction in the game. I cant find proof for you, but thats been an established fact for as long as i can remember

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Awesome, it's not in my head and that makes me happy.

I was playing against MagnM's Sonic earlier online, and I think I attempted Lucario against him 3-4 times. I can't remember if I won 1 or 2 of those matchups, but either way it the matches were all struggles for me. How do you handle a character that moves around so much.

Also why the crap does Sonic's Uair slam Lucario's Dair gawd.

Browny

Smash Hater
hehehe youll get some fun answers to that question here.

ignore the usual 'spam dtilt, he has no approach against aura sphere' etc. Best moves are things like bair, ftilt and jabs. he can punish fsmash easily, aura sphere is kind of risky vs spinshots and his uair will beat lucarios dair but it has to be spaced perfectly, it shouldnt happen too often. I cant really go into too much detail since mag's sonic is crazy and extremely risky playstyle, not typical of most sonic's id assume :/

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
No I had to learn a completely different way of playing his Sonic in order to be stand up. Spam Dtilt? Who's mine or his? Lucario has a useful Dtilt huh?

AS works well against nullifying a lot of his approach, but it certainly doesn't completely break him. AS spam helps out a good bit when trying to recover too it seems.

Reise

Smash Rookie
I might be able to offer some input for Lucario vs. Sonic. I've recently adopted a more aggressive playing style against Sonic opponents than I usually go for, closing in as much distance as possible and meeting them at about mid- to close-range at all times (preferably mid, which is where Lucario dominates, but it never hurts to throw in some variety). Jabs and tilts are your friends, here (Jabs and UTilt for close-range, FTilt and DTilt for mid-range). I find that keeping Sonic at bay will prompt the player to use their speedy specials and attacks to blur right on by Lucario, who often can't keep up. As djbrowny mentioned, AS can stop Sonic from rushing in, so utilize that if he's allotted himself some distance. Whatever happens, don't get rushed!

Probably the most important thing I've learned from fighting Sonic is to (ideally) never leave yourself open. Use your smashes smartly, and you should be fine in this regard.

Hope this helped!

Edit: Good luck at your tourney!

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Thanks a lot. =)

Now all I need are some good Lucarios to practice against. Who wasn't to barwl on waifail?

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Sup Kalm.
So'za your looking for some carios. If you haven't looked in the high grass, then you might want to check out the IRC.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183017

The thread is locked (which is balls) but it still has the needed info. This is where you'll find the cario's of all kinds, including the higher ranked (or just ranked and can prove it). I suggest you pop in some time and ask one to a brawl.

Howevah...
*cough*
WARNING! The IRC does not follow SWF rules, So somethings that happen in there are questionable to some.
*end cough*

And plus its where most of us chill anyways, and its a awesome place, very random though. But come in, you'll get a match you've been looking for.
-t2

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Sup Kalm.
So'za your looking for some carios. If you haven't looked in the high grass, then you might want to check out the IRC.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183017

The thread is locked (which is balls) but it still has the needed info. This is where you'll find the cario's of all kinds, including the higher ranked (or just ranked and can prove it). I suggest you pop in some time and ask one to a brawl.

Howevah...
*cough*
WARNING! The IRC does not follow SWF rules, So somethings that happen in there are questionable to some.
*end cough*

And plus its where most of us chill anyways, and its a awesome place, very random though. But come in, you'll get a match you've been looking for.
-t2
kalm defines random.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I have a quick question, why can't people with less than 50 posts see this thread?

Also, how many Lucario'83s does it take to change a failing economy?

Jenkins

Smash Lord
hey i was wondering if there was a thread for the characters with the furthest gliding toss

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah thats true. Lucario has one of, if not the highest traction in the game. I cant find proof for you, but thats been an established fact for as long as i can remember
The funny thing though is that his dash ending animation is very long, despite his extreme traction. It does allow a good control for his fox trotting (if you use this).

Milln

Smash Champion
I have a quick question, why can't people with less than 50 posts see this thread?

Also, how many Lucario'83s does it take to change a failing economy?
Lucario's power cannot be seen by those without experience. It is far too great.

*nod*

You have Luca question, you ask Milln. Milln tell you alla answers.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Another thing, this dash ending animation is actually somewhat useful, as this long end serves for a weird "dash grab" animation (you can "look" like you've ended the dash, then if you input Z at nearly the end, you'll do a quick little sprint grab). Ivysaurs use this tech, but I think it has potential for lucario as well.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
***- DA Faking: Ok I found out (or if someone else did i don't think they posted it) that you can still perform a dash attack while you are stopping. Every character has a different stopping time and a differen't powered DA. Ivysaur has the longest stopping time of the three Pokemon, and has a fairly strong DA.
~Quick Tip: This is helpful when on the Defense A LOT
Where to use: When you see someone is Shielding and when they Unshield You can hit them
Replace DA with grab.
Basically, right at the end of your "skid" animation, you can instead of going into a standing animation, you do a "lunge grab" with the exact same animation of a dash grab, but it has it's own momentum.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
What are Lucario's good and bad stages? I found a thread on this, but it doesn't really thoroughly discuss the stages that Lucario is bad on or good on. Therefore, I can't really get a precise answer. Also, some reasons why would be good too if that doesn't bother anyone.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
What are Lucario's good and bad stages? I found a thread on this, but it doesn't really thoroughly discuss the stages that Lucario is bad on or good on. Therefore, I can't really get a precise answer. Also, some reasons why would be good too if that doesn't bother anyone.
Good: Yoshi's Island (Brawl version)
reason: Wall-cling recovery is almost too easy, bigger boundaries help lucario live longer overall (although roof is a bit lower than I'd like), and platform is perfect for camping tactics/ SH aerial attacks.

Good: Frigate Orpheon
reason: Some of it is wall-clingable, platforms make it easy for lucario to get a foothold against better campers, ideal for SH aerials with the platforms, high ceiling makes it hard to kill lucario vertically

Good: PS1
Reason: Good platforms, good AS friendly stage, decent ceiling.

Good: Luigi's Mansion
Reason: Semi "cave of life", good area for "Extreme-Awesome" (if you do use this), fsmash rules here (at the bottom, they can't effectively jump over it if they're approaching), and high ceiling.

Bad: Corneria
Reason: Incredulously low ceiling (like MK kills you in 40% kind of ceiling [lol jk]), back wing also lends itself for early kills (not good for lucario who needs the boost), and the slopes mess with AS a bit.

Bad: Rainbow Cruise
Reason: Platforms make it tricky for anyone with a double jump, early kill sides, and anyone with a better aerial game ***** lucario on this stage.

Bad: Luigi's Mansion!?!
Reason: Olimar kills you on this stage with his camping and pressure, MK is just a beast on this stage.

I don't remember the others that are "extremely bad", but I hope you get some of the idea.

Top Bottom