• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Good: Yoshi's Island (Brawl version)
reason: Wall-cling recovery is almost too easy, bigger boundaries help lucario live longer overall (although roof is a bit lower than I'd like), and platform is perfect for camping tactics/ SH aerial attacks.

Good: Frigate Orpheon
reason: Some of it is wall-clingable, platforms make it easy for lucario to get a foothold against better campers, ideal for SH aerials with the platforms, high ceiling makes it hard to kill lucario vertically

Good: PS1
Reason: Good platforms, good AS friendly stage, decent ceiling.

Good: Luigi's Mansion
Reason: Semi "cave of life", good area for "Extreme-Awesome" (if you do use this), fsmash rules here (at the bottom, they can't effectively jump over it if they're approaching), and high ceiling.

Bad: Corneria
Reason: Incredulously low ceiling (like MK kills you in 40% kind of ceiling [lol jk]), back wing also lends itself for early kills (not good for lucario who needs the boost), and the slopes mess with AS a bit.

Bad: Rainbow Cruise
Reason: Platforms make it tricky for anyone with a double jump, early kill sides, and anyone with a better aerial game ***** lucario on this stage.

Bad: Luigi's Mansion!?!
Reason: Olimar kills you on this stage with his camping and pressure, MK is just a beast on this stage.

I don't remember the others that are "extremely bad", but I hope you get some of the idea.
Luigi's Mansion is a bad stage for Lucario? I thought it was good:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187501

Apparently they also say that Jungle Japes is a good Lucario stage and Green Greens is another bad one for Lucario. Would both of these by any chance, refer to the height of the ceiling because Lucario is kinda easily KO'd vertically? I'm pretty sure that there should be more reasons why though...

jog

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Mansion is a bad stage for Lucario? I thought it was good:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187501

Apparently they also say that Jungle Japes is a good Lucario stage and Green Greens is another bad one for Lucario. Would both of these by any chance, refer to the height of the ceiling because Lucario is kinda easily KO'd vertically? I'm pretty sure that there should be more reasons why though...
phil listed it twice. because its good and bad :) good against most characters but really bad against MK and Olimarrrr

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Oh whoops I didn't see that...x_x Must have skimmed through it. Yeah it would be understandable that some characters get would more benefits than others on the one stage. That's odd... someone from the Olimar boards told me that Luigi's Mansion was a bad stage for Olimar. I think it was because he gets gimped more easily on the stage? I don't think that sounds right though...

What about Jungle Japes and Green Greens? How are they good and bad respectively for Lucario?

jog

Smash Journeyman
Oh whoops I didn't see that...x_x Must have skimmed through it. Yeah it would be understandable that some characters get would more benefits than others on the one stage. That's odd... someone from the Olimar boards told me that Luigi's Mansion was a bad stage for Olimar. I think it was because he gets gimped more easily on the stage? I don't think that sounds right though...

What about Jungle Japes and Green Greens? How are they good and bad respectively for Lucario?
green greens is bad just because its green greens. the blast zones are extremely tight thus not giving lucario much of a chance to survive horizontally which he excels at.

now i think jungle japes would be a good stage for lucario because the ceiling is freaking high and the blast zones a a little tighter than normal. giving him the ability to live really long if he stays in the center part of the stage, but he could have trouble if off in the side platforms. and since lucario doesn't kill off the top often this makes the somewhat closer blast zones his friend with AS and fsmash. plus since he'll live a long time if the stage is played right, he can rack up a lot of aura.

i've heard a couple of GW players saying they can live up to 200% on this stage because they can bucket brake. but still, if GW can live up to 200% so can lucario :bee:

Atria

Smash Journeyman
green greens is bad just because its green greens. the blast zones are extremely tight thus not giving lucario much of a chance to survive horizontally which he excels at.

now i think jungle japes would be a good stage for lucario because the ceiling is freaking high and the blast zones a a little tighter than normal. giving him the ability to live really long if he stays in the center part of the stage, but he could have trouble if off in the side platforms. and since lucario doesn't kill off the top often this makes the somewhat closer blast zones his friend with AS and fsmash. plus since he'll live a long time if the stage is played right, he can rack up a lot of aura.

i've heard a couple of GW players saying they can live up to 200% on this stage because they can bucket brake. but still, if GW can live up to 200% so can lucario :bee:
It could be possible because the blast zones are fairly close to the ledges, however IMO even with good DI, I think the bucket brake would still outlast Lucario because of how good it is at stopping air momentum compared to Lucario's option at canceling air momentum. :(

What would Lucario's worst neutral stage be or does he do fairly well on all of them?

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord

I dont get whats so bad about green greens. I dont have much of a problem in this stage and i utilize the bomb blocks by shooting BAS at them to detonate on an opponent. i know about the blast lines but so what? its a problem for your enemy too!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I dont get whats so bad about green greens. I dont have much of a problem in this stage and i utilize the bomb blocks by shooting BAS at them to detonate on an opponent. i know about the blast lines but so what? its a problem for your enemy too!
Not if you are against an Ike, G&W or any other kind of character with KO powers like theirs. Besides, it's harder to keep Lucario alive at higher %'s on stages like Green Greens because of the low ceiling and close blast zones. Therefore, Lucario's survival abilities are hindered here. Also, it'll be harder for Lucario to actually KO opponents easily off the stage because he'll be fighting at lower %'s than usual. Therefore, he'd have to combo characters like crazy to actually get them at a high % in order to KO them. Imagine how hard that'll be if Lucario is currently winning the fight...

So does Lucario do bad on any of the neutral stages or does he do well on all of them?

jog

Smash Journeyman
It could be possible because the blast zones are fairly close to the ledges, however IMO even with good DI, I think the bucket brake would still outlast Lucario because of how good it is at stopping air momentum compared to Lucario's option at canceling air momentum. :(

What would Lucario's worst neutral stage be or does he do fairly well on all of them?
although it is a great momentum stopper for GW how often does GW live to 200% and how often does lucario get up to the 170s and 200s just on places like FD? lucario already lives long enough on normal stages. so if played right he should live pretty long on Japes :)

Not if you are against an Ike, G&W or any other kind of character with KO powers like theirs. Besides, it's harder to keep Lucario alive at higher %'s on stages like Green Greens because of the low ceiling and close blast zones. Therefore, Lucario's survival abilities are hindered here. Also, it'll be harder for Lucario to actually KO opponents easily off the stage because he'll be fighting at lower %'s than usual. Therefore, he'd have to combo characters like crazy to actually get them at a high % in order to KO them. Imagine how hard that'll be if Lucario is currently winning the fight...

So does Lucario do bad on any of the neutral stages or does he do well on all of them?
@Aurasmash14,

what Atria said about green greens i couldn't have said any better :bee:

here's also a reason why GG is just stoopeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b66PVvR59k&feature=related

@Atria

i would have to say lucario does not have a problem with any of the neutral stages. again stages are personal preference, but he can make the best of any neutral stage. i would also have to say though that Yoshi's Story (brawl) is his best neutral just because of how easy wall clinging is. i also like Smashville and Battle Field. Final D isn't too bad, but it promotes camping so i wouldn't take a ROB, Falco, or Diddy (insert other campy characters here) there. and someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think Pokemon Stadium 1 was replaced by Lylat Cruise in the neutral starting 5 stages. i think PS1 is also i decent stage fore lucario (can even wall cling right under the ledge) but as for Lylat i don't like it just because i haven't played on it enough to know much about it. its pretty easy to get gimped by the ledges lips but with lucario if you can curve your AS then you won't have a problem. :)

Atria

Smash Journeyman
There are 5 neutral stages? I thought there were only 4. The only ones I know of are:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Is there a more recent list of tournament stages or do you get 5 neutral stages with the tournament you go to?

jog

Smash Journeyman
There are 5 neutral stages? I thought there were only 4. The only ones I know of are:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Is there a more recent list of tournament stages or do you get 5 neutral stages with the tournament you go to?
its always been 5 for me
your list plus PS1 but again i think its been changed to Lylat Cruise over PS1

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for the stage list wherever the nearest tourny is for me. I'll get used to both stages I guess just to be safe. ;)

Ah, thanks for the help with Lucario's stages. I was much appreciated with the help guys! :)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Some of our Oregon tourneys are out to get lucario, lol. The stage picks here say that Yoshi's is a CP, Luigi's is banned, as well as Jungle Japes. It's all a conspiracy!:laugh:

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Some of our Oregon tourneys are out to get lucario, lol. The stage picks here say that Yoshi's is a CP, Luigi's is banned, as well as Jungle Japes. It's all a conspiracy!:laugh:
Darn, that DOES sound like a conspiracy! Oh well, I guess it's not ALL bad. Still got FO and JJ I guess. :ohwell: Hope something like that doesn't happen at my first tourney...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Darn, that DOES sound like a conspiracy! Oh well, I guess it's not ALL bad. Still got FO and JJ I guess. :ohwell: Hope something like that doesn't happen at my first tourney...
We don't have Jungle Japes either...
And this happens in every N. Oregon tourney practically, lol.

jog

Smash Journeyman
We don't have Jungle Japes either...
And this happens in every N. Oregon tourney practically, lol.
haha you guys need to come to texas :bee:

just about every stage besides the ultra gay ones are on the CP list.

i'm talking port town, yoshi's pipes, and corneria. YOSHI'S PIPES

Atria

Smash Journeyman
haha you guys need to come to texas :bee:

just about every stage besides the ultra gay ones are on the CP list.

i'm talking port town, yoshi's pipes, and corneria. YOSHI'S PIPES
Lol, that's DEFINITELY out of my reach! I'm stuck in Australia and I can't really get anywhere out of it's borders. :p

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Questions Questions Questions
:)

You shall see me around here and there. So remeber me.

My question

Is Azen the best Lucario; if not then who is the best?
Prolly, even though he doesn't do the most lucario-est things of his metagame. Like we say "Azen mains Azen", hence why his Diddy is beastly without dribbling.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Milln, BloodHawk, Lee, Anther, Azen (he still has very good lucario habits that can be gleamed from watching) are some pretty good ones.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
you forgot yourself and jeepysol:laugh:
I'm good, but I haven't any videos (all the tourneys that I go to never have capture cards set), and Jeepy has a good lucario, but he does wario now. Sometime I'm going to get Kevvviiinnn to bring his device, so that I can upload.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I'm good, but I haven't any videos (all the tourneys that I go to never have capture cards set), and Jeepy has a good lucario, but he does wario now. Sometime I'm going to get Kevvviiinnn to bring his device, so that I can upload.
i sure do hope you do. and jeepy does wario now?:( *sigh* least he left behind some videos for
others to learn

Milln

Smash Champion
Milln, BloodHawk, Lee, Anther, Azen (he still has very good lucario habits that can be gleamed from watching) are some pretty good ones.
Anther doesn't play Lucario. =o

Jeepy doesn't play Lucario, he plays Wario, but he's still got Lucario in his heart so we keep him around.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
okay i got a question.

What is this infamous learning curve for lucario? where does it start, and end? what happens during it?
The learning curve is an implied level of difficulty for playing a character and unlocking it's metagame secrets. Marth is considered a character with a high learning curve, for example, whereas someone like G&W is somewhat easier. Lucario has some things that don't make him a doormat for the newcomer, but he isn't as hard as some give him credit for.

Omnath

Smash Ace
I wonder, should I momentum cancel during DI with dair on Lucario? The reason I say that is because dair is initally a momentum cancelling attack in the first place, so...?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I wonder, should I momentum cancel during DI with dair on Lucario? The reason I say that is because dair is initally a momentum cancelling attack in the first place, so...?
No, believe it or not, certain momentum changers like dair actually hurt your ability to get back. Fair works the best out of your aerials.

Omnath

Smash Ace
No, believe it or not, certain momentum changers like dair actually hurt your ability to get back. Fair works the best out of your aerials.
Why would it though? (Not to argue really) I've been using it and noticing that my DI's turn out a lot better. (Apparently I'm bad at the game, but good at DIing [so says my crew] lmao) .

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
Question:

Nair or Fair? Which should I use more?

I use Fair more to help spacing issues and chaining them together, but Nair isn't so bad sometimes. Is there a specific situation when I should use a Nair over a Fair?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Question:

Nair or Fair? Which should I use more?

I use Fair more to help spacing issues and chaining them together, but Nair isn't so bad sometimes. Is there a specific situation when I should use a Nair over a Fair?
Fair.

Nair is only good because of it's sex kick properties (meaning if you do it on the weaker moments of it, you can continue a stringed attack on the ground), tends to do a little more damage, and it autocancels on the ground (whereas fair has a little landing lag). Use Nair to end after a fair if you're about to land, or when you know you want to get on a platform/attack someone on a platform (although fair can be used for this as well at times).

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I have a question. after a Bthrow+FCAS should i follow them of the stage and kill em with air attacks or charge another AS to kill em with?(this is of course when said opponent is over 60%)

stRIP

Smash Ace
I've got a question

I heared alot that Lucario in teams is something like Bull****

Yesterday at CoT4, Azen played Lucario in teams all the time, and LeeMartin played it too

so WTF??

jog

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question

Yesterday at CoT4, Azen played Lucario in teams all the time, and LeeMartin played it too

so WTF??
so?

you play who you're good with, that doesn't mean they have to be GW or MK in teams >_>

Omnath

Smash Ace
I've got a question

so WTF??
Lucario just has a slight problem with accidently killing his teammate. With the huge hit boxes that Lucario has, it's really hard for your teammate to tell where not to be at a certain moment.
Fortunately there are people out there that know what they are doing and know how to avoid this stuff while teamed with Lucario. The person playing Lucario also needs to watch out for killing their teammate. (We lost a match in the doubles biweekly because my teammate ran into two of my forward smashes)

Milln

Smash Champion
Lucario just has a slight problem with accidently killing his teammate. With the huge hit boxes that Lucario has, it's really hard for your teammate to tell where not to be at a certain moment.
Fortunately there are people out there that know what they are doing and know how to avoid this stuff while teamed with Lucario. The person playing Lucario also needs to watch out for killing their teammate. (We lost a match in the doubles biweekly because my teammate ran into two of my forward smashes)
That's not the problem Lucario faces in teams. What you have is a synergy problem.

The problem that Lucario potentially faces is managing his aura modifiers in teams because of how crazy the points are calculated.

Top Bottom