• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proper DIing of mks tornado

meepxzero

Smash Master
This probably needs to be tested more because I'm not sure about how to di the nado properly. All i know is that there is a way to di tornado to the point where you get hit by it a little and you can airdodge through it to cg mk. I feel nado is the only reason mk is winning the fight now a days because people learn to bait pivot grabs and just shield poke us.

Here is an example of japanese ic DIing the nado properly. Look at when he gets out at :40 and 5:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZuyv5O3yY&feature=channel

Al probably test it more since I have a good mk i practice with now. I think you have to smash di left or right depending how the nado goes but who knows.

If we can make mk fear nadoing us even if we get sucked in they are really fuked over against us.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Info from shmot hope this helps:

basically, you want to sdi towards the middle of the tornado (if you are on the left side you sdi right, if you are on the right side, you sdi left). remembering that the hitbox regenerates every 5 frames or so, you want to be the closest to where the hitbox begins, so then you have the most amount of time until the next hitbox appears. anyway, from there, most characters have enough time to airdodge through the nado, provided they get close enough to the centre. it definitely works with the ics, and i have got a grab out of this (pity nana never seems to follow you, but low % cgs are nice anyway). so i suppose in summary, i mash the joystick and cstick toward the centre of the nado, and mash 'r' to airdodge. you dont wanna jump cause you dont have enough time to airdodge after, and youd do too high up.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm I'll try it out. I can get out of the top consistently and I usually just pop out and dair and they take way more damage then I took but a grab would be nice.

Teh Future

Smash Master
funny enough yes Ive been working on this recently and done testing myself.

You pop out of the tornado automatically when you get hit by it, so there is really no point in DIing up. I haven't read all the thread but whoever is using tornao isn't going to stay still. You want to DI slightly down and to the opposite side that they are moving as you are getting hit. Once you are out fast fall and airdodge back to the ground. This works INCREDIBLY awesomely. It doesn't work 100% of the time but it does work a lot. if they follow your DI then they will catch you. Also if they keep the tornado on the ground it will catch you (but they have end lag so it is harder to follow up).

Overall this is 1209382109381 times better than jumping out of it like I used to, because then if you happen to get hit you are above mk without a second jump which = stock basically.

Another thing to keep in mind is how to DI once you are actually caught in the middle (like when you airdodge into it from the air). Im not sure this is the perfect way, but I talked to MJG and he told me to rotate the control stick while mashing c-stick left to right. I have no idea why you do that or how it works but it DOES. try it out. I can get out of tornado 209134023 times better since I started doing this and I really think if we can DI out of tornado consistentely then mk will pretty much cease to be a problem. I really think it is possible to do it consistently also if you watch a lot of pros they will DI tornado and get out of it like this. off the top of my head DEHF plays extremely well against nado.

I would also like swordgard to comment on this. Not sure what he knows espec. since I think I remember him trying to nair out of it but he is knowledgeable on this stuff.

Not sure how much I just typed, it was just interesting to see that what ive been working on recently was a topic brought up LOL hope it makes sense

edit: that is interesting to try to DI straight through the middle. I know when I first starting trying to do it I was trying to initially DI down when I got hit and it didn't work but it might when you DI after you pop up. I will try this method next time Im playing.

also keep in mind that you don't have to get a grab out of it. It just gives you way better positioning than jumping out of it and even if you do get hit with the last hit of nado you still have two jumps which is imo still a better position than when you jump out.

edit again

if this helps:

DI > grab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE4gshuxWUo&feature=related#t=4m20s

DI out after you used your second jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fRraywiWHQ#t=0m20s

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I usually mash airdodge and either Double Stick up if he's falling the nado, or Double Stick sideways and slightly down, and as soon as I'm clear, if I'm above, I jump and gtfo (or dair if it's the right setup), and if I'm below and to the side, and throw my shield up and react to the movement of the nado. Works for me.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Info from shmot hope this helps:

basically, you want to sdi towards the middle of the tornado (if you are on the left side you sdi right, if you are on the right side, you sdi left). remembering that the hitbox regenerates every 5 frames or so, you want to be the closest to where the hitbox begins, so then you have the most amount of time until the next hitbox appears. anyway, from there, most characters have enough time to airdodge through the nado, provided they get close enough to the centre. it definitely works with the ics, and i have got a grab out of this (pity nana never seems to follow you, but low % cgs are nice anyway). so i suppose in summary, i mash the joystick and cstick toward the centre of the nado, and mash 'r' to airdodge. you dont wanna jump cause you dont have enough time to airdodge after, and youd do too high up.
This is very good info. Will learn tonight.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I am more and more considering on not releasing any info on how to beat the tornado until apex. Usually I don't pull off this kind of stuff, but I would find it kind of stupid to go and blow away the small lead I have on this atm.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Holy feck, i could never find a way to get through this attack :D
Thanks for the vid and read, it was really helpful. I'll get to practicing this now.

Edit: Holy chet, LP kills another one...

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I am more and more considering on not releasing any info on how to beat the tornado until apex. Usually I don't pull off this kind of stuff, but I would find it kind of stupid to go and blow away the small lead I have on this atm.
Yes, because my post was SOOO specific, because I often give away trade secrets...

LOL at other character players coming in trying to learn something.

meepxzero

Smash Master
lol @ keepin secrets this is why our character can never get better.

fyi metaknights that know how to tornado ic **** us for free. Doesnt matter if you tilt the shield up it will still hit you if they do it properly.

Teh Future

Smash Master
umm no it doesn't lol.

but tornado does **** us even with all the tools we have against it because getting hit once potentially = death.

but I think especially with our floaty *** character we can get out of it the majority of the time, and even if its only with popo then we should be back to 50-50 with mk or better.

/imo

swordgard

Smash Hero
lol @ keepin secrets this is why our character can never get better.

fyi metaknights that know how to tornado ic **** us for free. Doesnt matter if you tilt the shield up it will still hit you if they do it properly.
Usually I don't, I will release the info after apex.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Heres what i got after testing this out. The smash ding works only at the start-up of the tornado. If you get caught at the end of it or the middle you cant get out. MAYBE you can get out at the initial hit of the late part of tornado, but if you miss the opportunity it wont come back.

lately the way ive been countering tornado is walking back everytime i see it. Most of the times mks will just wait a little b4 committing tornado so you end up wasting ur shield when you intially see it coming. Plus doing it this way it becomes easier to powershield it because you can clearly see if they run the tornado into you. Also a well timed roll can save your shield too buffering a shield right after the roll.

Also if you see a mk tornadoing right below you footstool it until he is done and do a well landed airdodge to safety when he stops.

Our shield is soo necessary in this match up.

RATED

Smash Lord
I don't play ICs, but TlmSheikant did this the other day with Toon Link, so I started to practice it with Snake and I could do it also with Snake. It works, it could help a lot in the MU.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Heres what i got after testing this out. The smash ding works only at the start-up of the tornado. If you get caught at the end of it or the middle you cant get out. MAYBE you can get out at the initial hit of the late part of tornado, but if you miss the opportunity it wont come back.

lately the way ive been countering tornado is walking back everytime i see it. Most of the times mks will just wait a little b4 committing tornado so you end up wasting ur shield when you intially see it coming. Plus doing it this way it becomes easier to powershield it because you can clearly see if they run the tornado into you. Also a well timed roll can save your shield too buffering a shield right after the roll.

Also if you see a mk tornadoing right below you footstool it until he is done and do a well landed airdodge to safety when he stops.

Our shield is soo necessary in this match up.
why not just fsmash tornado ?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
fsmash seems to work well enough when pivot grab wont :\

i mean, the only reason pivot grab doesnt work is because if MK sees ICs retreating then they shouldnt nado but if you hold your ground they are likely to nado into you which is a free fsmash

i mean, if you're talking about PSing the first hit of nado, then i see no reason that you couldnt fsmash

meepxzero

Smash Master
riskier.... 1 frame shield vs 11 frame fsmash

I can understand if they are at kill percents to try it but even then id still try a pivot grab cuz that comes out faster and its harder to punish.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
riskier.... 1 frame shield vs 11 frame fsmash

I can understand if they are at kill percents to try it but even then id still try a pivot grab cuz that comes out faster and its harder to punish.
i kind of switch between the two during a match depending on how the MK is behaving with tornado

Teh Future

Smash Master
tornado is dumb. they can space it so it beats both. But if you predict the tornado you can also set yourself up where you can hit them during startup where it has little mobility.

The only time I really fsmash through it (or try) is when they are at killing percentages.

usually I just shield/blizzard, but blizzard isn't good anyways unless it is desynced and they can go around both synced and desynced blizzard anyways

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
The bottom hitbox pops you out, the top will lock you in. Characters like Peach can immediately input a nair when they pop out. Fox can jump shine then fast fall air dodge.

Also, most characters can footstool the nado.

For the longest time I hear simply DIing up at the start of the nado is enough to get out, then you can counter attack. However, it seems that is not true for the whole duration of the tornado.
There has been so much talk on the tornado for so long. Does anyone have any conclusive proof instead of this 75% sure this will work thing?

Smoom77

Smash Master
Sometimes when they try to nado me when they're at high percentages, you can pull off a upsmash by running away from it. The very back hitbox will hit MK.

Top Bottom