• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project M] Yoshi Matchup Thread

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Charizard i feel would be the weakest of your choices. Of all of them, mario definitely would be your best bet. fire balls just are so strong against yoshi and allow you to force yoshi into very vulnerable positions. Be mindful though, and try not to trade with yoshi.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
The characters I have difficulty with there are Mario first, Wolf and Marth feel even but Wolf has an edge (over Marth) because of matchup inexperience, and Charizard. I've gone to two tournaments and was knocked out by Mario players both times. Wolf combos Yoshi very well if he gets in but won't kill Yoshi easily. Charizard has been one of my easiest matchups because braindead juggling like d-throw->up-smash/up-air->etc. work until ceiling KO's and just funny stuff like chaining up-smash to up-smash, I highly discourage using Charizard.

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
@ Dr. Robotnik Dr. Robotnik I would Disagree with that actually. The Foot is incredibly free. His mental game is easily newbie level, relying greatly on MU inexperience from the other player and having the "I'll charge this F-smash and You'll run into it because you're bad" mentality. If we were to MM ditto, I would crush him.

My list of top Yoshis:
1 @ didds didds
2 Tombocombo
3 @Scatz
4 Qwinn
5 @Damp

I have no doubt @ V3ctorMan V3ctorMan is up there too, but I can't make that judgement because I haven't seen anything from him.

If we were all to have a Yoshi Only Tournament, This may be what the results would be in my mind. I think I play the smartest Yoshi overall, Mainly because mindgames are everything in my game. That and I think I'm the only one who uses the Grab-Parry on-command.

Didds I think (slightly to my dismay) is ahead of me in the path of the Yosh. I think He has more than enough movement and tech to take the victory (though I may give you a run for your money)

Scatz I believe would come after didds and I because his game is hyper-defensive. He's very very very solid in what he does but I'm not sure how he'd deal with My hyper-aggression and didds' overall game. May or may not be an accurate assessment, but it's just my opinion.

Qwinn is a Yoshi player from South Florida I met at CEO. His tech skill is very good and He would give us all trouble in an all-Yoshi bracket.

Damp is basically me but like 2-2 1/2 months behind. I think He'll progress down a very similar road I did, so He'll be getting good fast as hell.

The reason I don't believe the Foot belongs on a top 5 list is because of all the Yoshi's I've mentioned, each of us would beat him handily. Maybe he's number 6 or 7 on the list, but I personally believe he won't get better until he takes advice from players here. I watched a few matches of him when he first appeared and he was doing some really silly stuff like dashdancing with eggroll while the opponent was on the platform above them. Since then, He has gotten somewhat better, but not in the way that broadens his game. As I said before, His game relys on the opponent being inexperienced with Yoshi. I don't care if you disagree Foot, I play a far smarter game than most people, smart enough to take Liquid'Ken to game 5 (He's seen as the smartest player in the world). I know what kind of game I play when the opponent has no idea what to do. Foot does similar. BUT when the transition is made to someone who has the MU experience, You have to play smarter, and I haven't seen that transition from him. I want him to improve, but he needs to get over that damn ego of his and come ask us for help. @Bryonato can affirm to alittle of this. I played him at CEO for a few sets and he understands what I'm talking about when I say the Foot isn't nearly as good as his ego leads him to believe.

That's my take on things. If you guys disagree with that, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Squerk

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirOreo09
Also, I know he's not a Yoshi main but Ripple is definitely somebody to put on the list, he has a match against Oro on youtube which I unfortunately do not have the link for but if you are interested in him, look him up.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
...Uh oh, this can't be good... :( Hmmmmm it seems I'm the only one who knows who that is... :(
to anyone who reads, please stay civilized and calm, hopefully everyone will begin to strategize and help people rather than, try and step on everyone's toes... I swear when i work one job again, I'll contribute to all this, and help all of you in any way I can... but please follow suit like the rest of the community... when aMSa arrived, everyone forgot about me... <--- as funny as it sounds.. I like it this way... when I come back, then say whatever, but until then... treat me like a washed up, never been.. :) makes it funner and more motivating for me that way.. :)

I'm not going to state an opinion on any of this, as it's all irrelovant, Judging placing(s) in Yoshi dittos though proves absolutely nothing, just rather who's better in the ditto, not the actual matchups of other potential players...

I think we should all rather just focus on developing each other's games rather than "theorizing" who the top 5 Yoshi's would be.. You can "exclude" me in this conversation for all i care, it doesn't do any good. I care about the future success of Yoshi players in the long run.

<3 you guys, keep the yoshi rep strong. :)

EDIT: Ripple is VERY good, but noone knows about his Yoshi, and I'm pretty sure, he's like me, he'd rather avoid the.. "best" conflict, for char purposes because it causes turmoil.. then again, he does like the spotlight, so who knows.

Continue to push the character Yoshi's, I know everyone will be able to assist each other. :)

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I would definitely disagree with me being top lol, I appreciate the compliment, but I just don't have the top player nerves yet. I style against lower level players, but kind of cave defensively against a decent player.

I have the tech and potential, but I need a lot of improvement on my consistency and decision making.

Plus I play in MN, not exactly a strong region.

Also, I know he's not a Yoshi main but Ripple is definitely somebody to put on the list, he has a match against Oro on youtube which I unfortunately do not have the link for but if you are interested in him, look him up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7Z2WpGXh0 in case someone wanted to see Ripple's Yoshi.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
@ Ripple Ripple lol, I don't know about that orange skin though ;)

Let's money match if I ever go to a regional, would you go to the Warehouse 3 if our MN dude ever gets it set up?

didds

Smash Lord
Am I allowed to post videos in the forums?? This one specifically?
Post it in the Yoshi matches thread, this is for discussing MU's. We'd be happy to take a look though

well discussing mu's and talking about Yoshi rankings now I guess lol

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised no one mentioned Raptor! He's the #2 PM Yoshi in the Top Players by Character thread. Here is the only video of him in PM from SKTAR3.

edit: Raptor is a top Brawl Yoshi player (the best in USA iirc)

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I have trouble with Raptor, he only has that one video so I don't know what to think. He took Infinity to last stock so clearly he's a smart player. I think some more refining of general and yoshi tech and he could be amazing.

Squerk

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirOreo09
If anybody is in the area (Southern Virginia or North Carolina) they should come out to the tournament next weekend.. if they aren't going to Evo. Just an idea xD

didds

Smash Lord
I'd love to travel everywhere, but the funds aren't there and getting work off is not easy :/

just come to MN everyone, I swear it's not snowing right now

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
nah but really I don't care about being the best yoshi in PM because I care about being the best DDD. I played yoshi just because I was against Oro?! and I've only ever taken one game off of him with DDD. There is no case where I'd rather play yoshi over DDD except in the ZSS MU

Last edited:

XerXe

Smash Rookie
So i have a disappointing match on Youtube on the VGbootcamp.
Would like to know if there were a skype group or something for Yoshi discussion O-O

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
So i have a disappointing match on Youtube on the VGbootcamp.
Would like to know if there were a skype group or something for Yoshi discussion O-O
There could be if we wanted to do that. I'd be down

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Eggcelent: Bowser (my little group of friends came up with the term 'yoshoids' during my match with a bowser this week), DK, Lucario, possibly DDD (we have a really good ddd in our group though.
Eggceptional: Peach (haven't played a good peach in a while, so not sure), link (If you can get in before he starts comboing), Mario (the only problem is the chaingrab, which he can't perform on Yoshi for long), Falcon
Eggscrutiating: Zelda, Ganon, Kirby (I agree with each one here)

Squerk

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirOreo09
I agree, Mario is a beast on Fountain and FD, my brother mains Mario and Ganondorf, so I have experience against Mario, just don't let him go to FD or Fountain, also when he is trying to recover, make sure his Up-B can't reach you through the stage and down tilt him, that usually works for me.

Squerk

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirOreo09
Eggcelent: Bowser (my little group of friends came up with the term 'yoshoids' during my match with a bowser this week), DK, Lucario, possibly DDD (we have a really good ddd in our group though.
Eggceptional: Peach (haven't played a good peach in a while, so not sure), link (If you can get in before he starts comboing), Mario (the only problem is the chaingrab, which he can't perform on Yoshi for long), Falcon
Eggscrutiating: Zelda, Ganon, Kirby (I agree with each one here)
Peach is a bad matchup for Yoshi (Eggscrutiating maybe) also Shiek isn't very good.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
A little late to the party @ WheelerFGC WheelerFGC .

Me and my trainee @ CatcherAndTheRai CatcherAndTheRai are starting to compile a matchup list with the pros and cons including stage choices and edgeguarding options. We would appreciate feedback when we get it done. Also, A Skype group for discussions sounds amazing, If we could get something like that happening once in a while, I'd be so down.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Peach is a bad matchup for Yoshi (Eggscrutiating maybe) also Shiek isn't very good.
Well, I saw the peach play, I actually didn't play against her. And we don't have any sheik mains here.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
A little late to the party @ WheelerFGC WheelerFGC .

Me and my trainee @ CatcherAndTheRai CatcherAndTheRai are starting to compile a matchup list with the pros and cons including stage choices and edgeguarding options. We would appreciate feedback when we get it done. Also, A Skype group for discussions sounds amazing, If we could get something like that happening once in a while, I'd be so down.
I kinda figured, but I just wanted to put my own $.02 in.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
I'm down for a yoshi skype group. Definately. And maybe a really good peach, but I don't think the matvh up is that bad honestly. (I'm better at fighting floaties imo.) If she camps with glide, just camp her back with eggs. OoS N-Air works wonders on her. I just don't see that match up being eggscruciating.

didds

Smash Lord
I'd say the DK MU is a bit harder than the bowser and DDD MU.

He got more speed to contend with Yoshi while retaining good armor breaking moves, but what really gives DK an edge over the other two are his quicker poking options. Uair through platform can start combos and is very safe unless you can shield drop. Dtilt is incredibly and can help shut down Yoshi's egg roll/DD game. And he still gets the strong punishes that can crush Yoshi. Nair is just amazing.

It's not too bad imo, but it's not a free MU by any means.

Mario isn't too bad but the MU with his fireballs is.

Last edited:

Squerk

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirOreo09
I'm down for a yoshi skype group. Definately. And maybe a really good peach, but I don't think the matvh up is that bad honestly. (I'm better at fighting floaties imo.) If she camps with glide, just camp her back with eggs. OoS N-Air works wonders on her. I just don't see that match up being eggscruciating.
Literally just found out that OoS Nair worked wonders on Peach so maybe the matchup isn't that bad :)

Top Bottom