• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project M] Yoshi Matchup Thread

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Having diffuculty finding info for Yoshi's matchups against other characters in Project M, so here's this. How do guys feel about Yoshi's matchups? What are the eggcellent, eggceptional, and eggscrutiacting ones?

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Eggscrutiating: Zelda, Yoshi dittos, ROB (At least where I play)

Eggcellent: Lucario (Where I play and in my opinion), Big bodies like Bowser and DK

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Playing against a DK I noticed I was getting a free nair off of every dthrow. I felt the matchup was heavily skewed in Yoshi's favour, getting easy grabs from his dash attacks.

If Zelda throws out nayrus love once she's out of dthrow hitstun, she can't be hit by a nair but a well-placed uair will work. I found edgeguarding against her difficult because she would DI high and use dins fire to make it more difficult to reach her.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Can someone help with the Yoshi vs Ice Climbers Mu
Egg lay to seperate them, and dsmash or dtilt to maintain their separation. It's actually a very good MU for Yoshi.

Any grabs you can land are good, because your grab range far exceeds theirs. Once you snag one of them, it's basically an auto-separation, just follow up.

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Egg lay to seperate them, and dsmash or dtilt to maintain their separation. It's actually a very good MU for Yoshi.

Any grabs you can land are good, because your grab range far exceeds theirs. Once you snag one of them, it's basically an auto-separation, just follow up.
Im a Ices main thats why i need any advice for yoshi weakness to ices.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Im a Ices main thats why i need any advice for yoshi weakness to ices.
Oh, well ur ****ed man, Yoshi bodies ICs. :p

I dunno, I've only played the MU one or two times, and it was not against an ICs main. I just know separating the climbers is key, and Yoshi can do that pretty easily. I dunno how you could stop that.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Eggcelent MU: Heavies such as Boozer and Donkey, Fox and Flaco, and Lukenryu.

Ok: Wolf, Yoshi, IC's, Captain Falcon

Eggcruciating: Zelda, perhaps Lucas(?), perhaps Marth(?)

That's what I've seen with my matches. Yoshi mauls heavy fatties like Bowser and Donkey K, possibly even Dx3 (I need to experiment with that). And Lucario (Lukenryu in the list) just can't deal with Yoshi's shield, and Yoshi just generally preys upon them. Zelda is probably one of Yoshi's worst MU's. She out ranges Yoshi and just loves to get on his nerves. Lucas and Marth I am unsure about, I never did well against em. The neutrals, Yoshi is Yoshi, Wolf is kinda a double edged sword: Yoshi destroys spacies, but Wolf isn't my best spacie MU. IC's I need more experimentation, and Captain is kinda half and half as well.

Fera

Smash Rookie
So, I started Yoshi about a month ago. Been training with some pals, but mostly on cpu's. Yesterday I had a nice time playing with some guys that play a lot better than me, and from the matches I played

Yoshi is good: Fox, Falcon, Sheik.

Neutral: Falco, Peach.

Yoshi is bad: Ganon, Zelda, Roy.

didds

Smash Lord
I think yoshi does decent against Charizard, that big body factor. Mario also is pretty even. I dislike peach.. regardless of the actual matchup

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with didds. Charizard is a fatty, and I feel Yoshi does better against him.

didds

Smash Lord
I think it really comes down to avoiding the nair, it's the only thing that can stuff our movement. And djc egg lay does wonders against dd campers. I've got some vids on the video thread and I feel that I was doing best when he was worried about the egg lay threat.

Devinchi

Smash Rookie
I seem to have the most trouble with Marth and Roy. They outrange a lot of our stuff, and it seems much easier for them to combo Yoshi than the other way around. Anyone have some useful tips on this matchup?

Also, hello smashboards!

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Play the dash dance game with them and grab them? Your dash dance isn't as amazing as marth/roy, but who's is? It's still pretty decent tho, and the range on your dash grab beats theirs, as does your pivot grab. If they try to play defense and just wait for you to come in, run away and throw eggs.

Anytime you take them to the air, you can generally beat them if you're under them, which is something you can do. DJC lets you throw aerials nice and close to the ground, so get under them and uair them.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
definitely loses to ganondorf. I think yoshi is an all around better character than ganon but ganon's ftilt makes it too impossible for yoshi to approach. Those strong aerials against armor too.

Fera

Smash Rookie
As for fox, try watching Amsa's matches. Backing away Fair is a good option, egg lay is also good for it's range, since good foxes will try to outspace you. DJC Counter Nair OoS / Usmash OoS are also good options since our shield is so good. Just make sure you counter his Nair or Drill, not the shine.

CC is also a awsome weapon, use it along dsmash.

As for setups, at low % try landing that grab and getting an uthrow>usmash, at mid % go for dthrow>dsmash. Pivot grabs are your better options, but learn the right range for dashgrab.

Remember that dash attack is good, especially at edgeguarding spacies trying to get back from below.

Utilt is awesome, and setup juggles and another utilt (utilt, utilt, djc uair, keep the juggling)

Go for stages with many platforms, you'll need them for the movement, practice wavelanding as move as fluidily as you can.

Also, watch out for those usmashes, especially shine>jcusmash. Do not try to get out of the shield too early.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Someone more experienced then me with Yoshi should create a rough MU chart, then we can all debate it for a while so we can get one for yoshi!

didds

Smash Lord
Especially since I doubt we have really done more than scratch the surface of most of the "yoshi:insert character" matchups anyway. I've barely played a third of the cast at competitive levels, let alone played against a character extensively enough to be confident in the match up. Discussing matches and playing the game are really the best courses of action at this point.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yea, general matchup discussion and strategies for success is good stuff to do, because it's likely to transfer over. But to make a MU chart, you'd have to study each and every MU so extensively to the point where you know, down to the frame, if and how you can beat anything that opposing character can do. These kinds of details are likely to change significantly from release to release, and by the time we had anything even remotely figured out and documented, it would be changed.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Bumping this thread, what do we do in the Ness MU? He can grab us out of our shield if we try to defend against PK fire and even grabs us out of a DJC, on top of that he's got more than enough kill setups. Any advice other than not being bad?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Stay on the ground and dash dance outside his pk fire range, and if he throws one, dash in and grab him. If you get hit by one, just di to the ground and spot dodge, maybe? Works for me to avoid the grabs, a lot of the time, though it's a little hit or miss. You can also dair, or maybe cross up nair if you're going to jump in.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I find you just DI out of the PK fire. If he still get's you... Nair could break his combo? lol If all else fails, get amazing at power shielding to reflect it back at him.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
What if it's on wifi, does that put me beyond help?;_;

Actually, how good is Yoshi's spotdodge in this? This help's really appreciated guys. :)

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
What if it's on wifi, does that put me beyond help?;_;

Actually, how good is Yoshi's spotdodge in this? This help's really appreciated guys. :)
That makes things a bit harder for power shielding. :laugh: Spot dodge will suffice, i think.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hopefully :p
Oh! And does anyone know what the Peach MU is like? I got challenged into a MM this weekend and they won't disclose their main but they main Peach in Melee so that's all I really have to work with. :s

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I don't have too much Peach MU knowledge, sorry. The one peach I remember fighting was teaming with Westballz at the last tournament I went to. They kinda bodied me and my teammate. :laugh: Don't CC her dSmash.

Fera

Smash Rookie
Nikes, I don't have much experience in the match-up, but egglay outranges anything except turnis, and if you djc it you can hit it any height. It gets Peach out of rhytim easily.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Have been playing VS Yoshi as Roy and Ness and a bit of diddy

Ness has been a consistent winner for the most part tho not neccesarily easy, PK fire is very effective if it hits and ness has good setups for kills in his dthrow or just bthrow for straight up kills

Roy does alright, I see a slight pattern of the Yoshi players here saying that swords are a difficult MU, I cant speak for the other character but with Roy being a fast faller Yoshi kinda combos him to hell and back, its not impossible by any means but I dont think its a horrible MU for Yoshi

I havent played too much diddy vs Yoshi but my main concensus is that nanas get bypassed by egg roll (Which is a seriously good move in PM holy **** lol) and Diddy can have some difficulty killing Yoshi.

Y'all are welcome to give a Yoshi players perspective on this stuff, I plan on trying out Tlink vs Yoshi and see if he works well. The main things that stand out with Yoshi for me are Egg roll (Awesome recovery move, great mobility, it sets up for combos and is an all around scary move that you have to be watching out for at ALL times.) and his dtilt and dsmash being rediculously good kill/ledgeguard options along with a solid combo game.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
I have always had issues with my brothers Yoshi and Im a falco main

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Must've been nasty, I can imagine her doing well in teams.

Been there done that X'D
They we're beating us so bad westballz started attacking his peach teammate. X'D the peach player was peligro I think.

It's awful when you CC that move, ain't it. XD

@ Zekk Zekk I've always done pretty well against spacies, so long as I get the jump on em.

Last edited:

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I feel like yoshi has problems against characters that have "better" projectiles than him (link), as long as their moves are on target you can't djcounter them as they will immediately grab or just be too far away to be hit (in my experiences).

But i'm not an amazing yoshi in p:m, he feels a little less deep than he was in melee (without parrying being viable enough basically), and all the other characters just seemed to get better buffs than him in the transition, I hope they make some changes regarding certain things (I won't start a war, hopefully), but I digress...

I only really play against a link (and a campy one at that). Yoshi is quite bad at approaching a campy character (with a good enough player or a bad enough yoshi against them) without sacrificing something in return, in order to get a chance at a combo or a killing move (dsmash): I always had to eat a boomerang or a bomb on the way in (sometimes I couldn't get in).
Keep in mind that I am a really bad yoshi playing against a really campy link (how else do you play him) and all my experience is about 1 month old. Please help me in this MU if you can, I want to improve.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I feel like yoshi has problems against characters that have "better" projectiles than him (link), as long as their moves are on target you can't djcounter them as they will immediately grab or just be too far away to be hit (in my experiences).

But i'm not an amazing yoshi in p:m, he feels a little less deep than he was in melee (without parrying being viable enough basically), and all the other characters just seemed to get better buffs than him in the transition, I hope they make some changes regarding certain things (I won't start a war, hopefully), but I digress...

I only really play against a link (and a campy one at that). Yoshi is quite bad at approaching a campy character (with a good enough player or a bad enough yoshi against them) without sacrificing something in return, in order to get a chance at a combo or a killing move (dsmash): I always had to eat a boomerang or a bomb on the way in (sometimes I couldn't get in).
Keep in mind that I am a really bad yoshi playing against a really campy link (how else do you play him) and all my experience is about 1 month old. Please help me in this MU if you can, I want to improve.
You're right, I feel like Yoshi is at a disadvantage to "Campier characters" except for a slightly neutral to Samus. I played Hugz and did quite well against him. However, I am not too well versed in the Link MU. Sorry. :(

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
You're right, I feel like Yoshi is at a disadvantage to "Campier characters" except for a slightly neutral to Samus. I played Hugz and did quite well against him. However, I am not too well versed in the Link MU. Sorry. :(
I am. Nair beats boomerang (eggroll clangs it), bombs always bounce off of shield, arrows you can shorthop/DJC over. Link is very weak to grabs and downthrow leads to a fair, uair or nair (watch out for the boomerang on return if you jump over it). If you fail an approach, dtilt him away. Pick stages that have platforms and downthrow him onto platforms then techchase with an aerial of your choice (if they fail to smash-DI dair, then you get a free upsmash or downsmash off of the hitstun). Link has no options vs yoshi off the ledge (even though he can tether to it, he has a tough time getting back on the stage), eggthrow can beat his up-b recovery down and you can finish that kind of recovery with an overhead fair, an overhead nair, or a well timed downsmash (if he wants to sweetspot, the hitbox of Yoshi's down-b impact (the cloud on impact) is large enough to shut that down repeatedly). If link is on the edge, all you have to do is shffl nair or shffl DJC nair, It beats everything except his up-b off the ledge. Defensively, eggroll is great for getting around non-projectile approaches, grabs shut Link down pretty hard (pivot grab works wonders) and nair-out-of-shield will let you simply shield most approaches. If he starts to go for grabs, you can wavedash or dash dance back and grab him as a punish. If you read a grab that you can't avoid, Grab-Parry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVcSy-OoBMA), It works well against Link because the hookshot has low active frames (best done close range to him, in the middle of the hookshot). On recovery, try to eggroll over him or sweetspot the ledge, some Links will want to get the gimp off of a ground upb spin. If they do this, you can punish straight down with a dair. Link is a decent match for Yoshi, but he's not hard to kill, nor is he hard to approach.

Here are some matches I have vs Link. The Link player is somewhat new, but his neutral game is relatively solid. I play another, more experienced, Link main in Tampa, the same concepts are present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imXvBZX-UTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtsBXZuW_4

Last edited:

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Link is very weak to grabs and downthrow leads to a fair, uair or nair (watch out for the boomerang on return if you jump over it).
That was something I wasn't aware of at the time. When I played melee yoshi's grab was pretty short (and a bit laggy) so I felt kinda limited in the grab department, but PM fixed that.

I found utilt to be a massive help as well, once I was in of course.

Thanks a lot. I can't stress how much trouble I had before.

Top Bottom