• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project M] Yoshi Matchup Thread

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
@ TensenROB TensenROB oops, well, there's 2 of them now. go ahead and repost your info under mine.
Ok, I guess I'll delete mine... though a Skype group doesn't need a scribe or timetables, all the chat stays recorded forever and the only possible issue is people joining after something was said. Anything of substance should be posted in the Yoshi forums anyway.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Ok, I guess I'll delete mine... though a Skype group doesn't need a scribe or timetables, all the chat stays recorded forever and the only possible issue is people joining after something was said. Anything of substance should be posted in the Yoshi forums anyway.
well we could be talking too, does that get recorded?

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
well we could be talking too, does that get recorded?
Talking isn't recorded which is why chat is preferable, so we don't have to consult so-and-so to go over last week's minutes on the Wario matchup.

edit: this is completely off-topic for this thread so let's continue this elsewhere

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Tombo. I am The Foot. Let me first say a few things about the way I play. I am very well aware of my play style. In every smash i have hoped and prayed for an aggressive play style for yoshi to work, and to this day, none has. This is why in PM when i was given the opportunity to play aggressive, i do. There are 2 or 3 people in my region that i know this wont work on anymore as they come to figure out yoshi, one of which who beats everyone but myself, is Zerxion's Mewtwo. I still feel like on certain matchups like mewtwo, yoshi benifits and is required to be the aggressor. Should i stop being so aggressive all the time? hell yeah. Do I have as much fun playing defensive even if i win? **** no. Do i know how to play properly just as well as my aggressive play style, **** yes. People in my area get very flustered against yoshi for some reason, and i have a blast getting away with things that dont work on knowledgeable people (aka sky egg roll into ground pound).

Another note on my play style. If any of you know valdens, you will see his play style in my yoshi. Valdens, is the least show boaty player i know, but he is one of the smartest. He does things that frustrates his opponent and makes them feel like an idiot when they are hit by some of his moves. Charging smashes is one of them. Do i mean just charge a smash at any time and hope someone runs into it? **** no. What I hope to relay is the way these moves are used in a control enough setting that you can bet that an opponent will attempt to punish you for your move when in actuality they are at the disadvantage.

For example, as you guys know, yoshi's smashes have some of the jankiest hit boxes of any smash, which sets up great for a bait on someone who feels like they could punish you for a smash.

I might not be the flashiest player, but i feel like i understand and can follow up more than anyone here cept vectorman, dat yoshi just to technical. Considering though im coming from a prominent Brawl player rather than from melee, this is understandable, but im quickly becoming just as technical on both areas. (also i shield parry on command)

PS: Yoshi ditto's prove nothing.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
@ Dr. Robotnik Dr. Robotnik I hope we can play someday. There are things we could both teach eachother. I just want you to be open to constructive criticism. Yes I called you out, and I will hold to that. I just want to see more passion. You should join the Skype group. I understand that you enjoy pissing people off with Yoshi's jank (as did I). But I think you could take it to a whole different level if you take it more seriously, that's why your style has had/has me against you. I don't see a Yosh trying their best, I see a Yosh ******* around because people have no idea what to do. I understand that you enjoy it, but I think you can have more fun taking it slightly more seriously. That's my two cents.

Otherwise, I wish to make amends. Yoshi Brothers shouldn't fight. Join the Skype Group and we'll converse further.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Played new pm yoshi...you guys likely won't like the new changes...just warning you ahead of time...

Personally I think it's fine.. I wanted most of the changes..and am shocked they accepted my feedback...but yea..you'll see in time.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Played new pm yoshi...you guys likely won't like the new changes...just warning you ahead of time...

Personally I think it's fine.. I wanted most of the changes..and am shocked they accepted my feedback...but yea..you'll see in time.
Are we allowed to have some sort of idea of the changes?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'm actually uncertain...if I can go into detail or not...but I'm sure I'm allowed to say..game seems a lil. Quicker...and I'm nearly positive Every characters recovery has been noticeably nerfed...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
as long as they fixed shield to be at least normal and buffed egg lay then I'll probably be happy. it's not like they should nerf Yoshi anyway unless some armor is taken off

didds

Smash Lord
what was wrong that egg lay needed buffing?
And I'm not sure he needs his armor toned down either, I just assumed that was the trade off of the UpB jump.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I think the damage output on D-air can be toned down, the shield- damage that eggroll does can be toned down and egg parry can be fixed. I don't think Yoshi needs to be touched other than those things.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I was just saying if recovering took a hit all around then I wouldn't be surprised if armor was toned down

egg lay needs buffed because of the invincibility the opponent gets

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
ah thanks for clarifying, I thought you were originally talking about the actual egg lay hitbox.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
tombo, i agree, but honestly, people play here at such a low level that its damn near impossible for me to have any sort of fun playing correctly. like i said, only the mewtwo brings out my real yoshi, and thats because i ****ing hate losing to him, so i dont give him a chance, and succeed. and considering he beats everyone else in our region, i think i can firmly saw i have a very high level yoshi. I just choose to play this way because i enjoy it more. i am working on being more flashy with my wave lands and djc combo's.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
@ Dr. Robotnik Dr. Robotnik
I'm in the same boat (kinda). I personally have far more fun decimating players with mindgames and being all over them. Cheesing only holds so much entertainment for me. See, I'm really really striving to be the best. I personally don't believe that I can grow unless I try my hardest, even against less experienced players. If I cheese, I don't feel like I was being fair to my opponent (my community really looks up to me in PM and they want to grow as much as I do). I realize it's a personal opinion, but I just haven't seen that same drive from you, that's why I've been somewhat (or alot) Toxic towards you. It's not fair to you. I just want to see more passion. Yes, fun is key, but I guarantee that you'll see yourself evolve and grow if you give at least 85% in every game, even if you know it's free, show them (and me) how free it is. You don't need to prove yourself to me, I'm being a bit selfish. I'm glad I can actually talk to you though, and I do apologize for the aforementioned Toxicity.

Side note, I know Yoshi dittos prove nothing, but they are more hype than Falcon dittos. and regardless of that, I'll fight you tooth and nail for the top spot, we'll have to face off someday for that. :)

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
Yoshi dittos are for the weak. Real men play 4 player Yoshi FFA. (yes there are 5 Yoshi mains in my area :D )

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Just as an update to my game vs the Yoshi player. I managed to get 3rd overall and played him in Winners Finals. First game I tried my Wolf, he had way to much pressure on me so he handily beat me. I played my Mario against him and brought him to a very tight game - him winning, but he still had one stock by the end. He complimented my Mario and many people said he looked nervous. Next game the same happened, I find it very hard playing someone so much better than me - I'm not good enough to mix up my options and do that consistently, especially with that amount of pressure on me. But I appreciate the help, Mario really did me well.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Is marth as free as aMSa made it look in melee?
I'd say it's an even matchup. I played Liquid'Ken and His smarts made the matchup very difficult. If your timing is good and your spacing is better, you can counterplay marth hardcore. But you have to be careful of his range

AthleticNerd93

Smash Cadet
Having diffuculty finding info for Yoshi's matchups against other characters in Project M, so here's this. How do guys feel about Yoshi's matchups? What are the eggcellent, eggceptional, and eggscrutiacting ones?
Yoshi's matchups

Eggcelent: Fatties, Foxco, Lucario, Ice Climbers

Eggceptional: Peach, Wolf, Mario, Falcon

Eggscrutiating: Zelda, Ganon, Kirby

(Always open for changes)
I had good experiences with Yoshi against a MK. I would go exceptional.

AthleticNerd93

Smash Cadet
A tip for edge gaurding. Do a dair as they are coming up and you get some distance for characters with bad recoveries. Takes a bit of timing but worth the risk reward in my experience.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Tombo, i think where you see lack of drive to be the best from me is where i practice the having fun way, more so than the right way. I spend about 3-5 hours every day for the sake of knowing exactly how to follow up everything, so that when something does happen that should generally not work, i can combo and finish people. I still feel the hyper aggression yoshi is able to do in PM is very good against atleast half of the characters, and heres why. Yoshi is all about trading and out spacing your opponent, so what happens if you are faced against a character who is faster than you and forces you to lose all of your priority spacing? You trade with them, but rather trade with them on their terms, you force them to trade with you on your terms, which against yoshi, can often mean death. I'd even go as far to say as a yoshi player, you should practice both play styles and learn how to effectively use them both. Here are a few characters for each i feel each strategy should be used against.

Aggressive:
Falco, Fox, Link, Wario, Roy, Donkey kong, Ice climbers, Peach, Samus, Charizard, Jiggs, Squirtle, ROB

Defensive:
Mewtwo, Marth, Bowser, Diddykong, Metaknight, Luigi, Captain Falcon,

Both:
Mario, Ness, Lucas, Ganon, Ike, game and watch, ZSS, Ivysaur

This to me is a lot of personaly preference after much analysis, but as my region has a very vast cast list, i feel like this represents a little insight of what yoshi should be doing.

Also, studying every character so you can properly dj parry their move takes serious time and effort.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I have trouble with Raptor, he only has that one video so I don't know what to think. He took Infinity to last stock so clearly he's a smart player. I think some more refining of general and yoshi tech and he could be amazing.
This is a little late but I could upload some stuff of me playing but idk how to take footage off of a stream archive onto youtube. ;o; I want to because my set against Infinity wasn't a good display of Yoshi at all and I can do better.

Edit: also these lists are silly. Go off of results imo.

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
@ Dr. Robotnik Dr. Robotnik
I agree, although there is no right or wrong way to play a character as long as you have fun. I'm very competitive minded so I just see some stuff you do (like the egroll to ground pound stuff that gets people) and think of how punishable that is. As I said, I understand that that's how you have fun with the free. Also, I know matchups and the DJ parry and all that. It's good to have a balance of both in all MU's. I tend to go from my hyper-aggression to hyper-defensive as my percentage hits that vulnerable point. Certain MU's you have to play smarter, but I think the balance needs to always be there, so you have access to both mindsets in a moment's notice and can take from your large pool of aggressive and defensive options. I think we could teach each other a few things, you should sign up for the Skype group and we can all discuss stuff further.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
This is a little late but I could upload some stuff of me playing but idk how to take footage off of a stream archive onto youtube. ;o; I want to because my set against Infinity wasn't a good display of Yoshi at all and I can do better.

Is it on a Twitch stream? A link to it on the stream archive would be perfect! I was at SKTAR3 and someone mentioned there was a Yoshi player but I didn't know where to look :(

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Is it on a Twitch stream? A link to it on the stream archive would be perfect! I was at SKTAR3 and someone mentioned there was a Yoshi player but I didn't know where to look :(
Yeah it's on twitch I just have to look for it again. I'd prefer if I could somehow upload it to my channel though. Is that possible?
And aw man that's lame we could have played. I played 2 other Yoshis at SKTAR it was fun lol.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it's on twitch I just have to look for it again. I'd prefer if I could somehow upload it to my channel though. Is that possible?
And aw man that's lame we could have played. I played 2 other Yoshis at SKTAR it was fun lol.
Twitch lets you do that but it has to be a highlight video on the Twitch channel. Otherwise you can only go through the painful process of downloading it from Past Broadcasts with a third party tool, splitting the video, and uploading it that way.

didds

Smash Lord

I'm not too worried, I'm sure I'll see more raptor play soon enough

Top Bottom