• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project M] Yoshi Matchup Thread

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I need to get a trip up there eventually and play in your guys's tournaments, I think it would be hella fun. I'll show you the strength of Tampa Players
That would be awesome. Im hoping to go to the next big tourney that has PM. Does Apex run it?

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
just pull a pro move and ask for money, than blow it and ask for money again. cough cough.

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
I've found edgeguarding Ivysaur very easy, nair offstage can keep him away and rising nair at the ledge can knock him out of tether.
I wouldn't say "easy" cause reflex adapted to my edgeguards and punished me when i through out an aerial attack.

No Super Jump , No Superarmor (when aerial attacks are thrown), Foot Stool, and Ivysaur's edgeguarding ability equals death.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Well, i blew it. lol, happens i guess, nerves are too great, something thats been a plague lately. oh well, just gotta work on staying calm

didds

Smash Lord
It happens, consistency is what makes great players and we're all learning still.

Next time.

didds

Smash Lord
nice dude, safe to assume you play Link?
and what's yer tag?

As for Mario, I dislike fireballs.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Mario, play somewhat safer. don't let him go to FD or any other bigger stages. Fair will stuff fireballs if you time it right. If you ever approach, don't miss any L cancels, you'll get punished. DI upthrow backwards, it's hard for most marios to follow up that DI. OoS options will help deal with mario's approaches

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
tombo, I felt i played ok, there was definately some things i needed to work on. Fought a samus for the first time, thought i knew the matchup, ended up last hit every match and went to game 3. The other loss was against a gnw main, 3 stocked him and banned not thinking he had a secondary, he pulled out falcon and i was not prepared for it. I got a little to greedy and went for somethings i shouldnt of, on part of nerves, but yeah, id love to hear what you have to say.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Glad to hear that you're open to one this time. I'll do my best, I will point out where you are vulnerable and where your game could improve.

didds

Smash Lord
I've got another local coming up this thursday, I'll try to get videos posted after, but I doubt there will be a stream due to choppy internet at the venue. Like always, I'll be open to critique.

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
Link: Orange
C. Falcon: Neutral
ZSS: Orange
Squirt: Light Green
Bowser: Light Green
Pit: Neutral
Mario: Orange
Ike: Yellow

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
You cant DDC through marth's f-smash. it sends yoshi into a free fall, even the non-tipper hit. I experimented with the DI down and away and you can only get away after about 45%. Didds, i like your concept about the waveland into marth. I feel like that is a strong luigi tactic that could translate well. i just wish yoshi had his melee waveland back, but that would be to op.

Back on marth's f-smash though. Because it does put yoshi into a free fall and not a tumble, do you think there is any lag or would you be able to start a move?
Exactly, break armor then get comboed by marth in to Ken combo, I don't think Ken knows PM that much or the matchup either. But he knows melee for sure.

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
Approaching on fox is pretty safe, and also, his shine does not effect yoshi's heavy armor (its not super armor) at all. Spacies cannot afford to trade with yoshi, because they will lose. nair wrecks them to hard, falco will die early because of nair, and fox will get combo'd from a good nair.

Sonic vs yoshi matchup i feel is 60-40 yoshi favor. Its definitely one you need to know, but yoshi just has to much in his kit to deal with sonic. ban BF and PS2 and i dont think there would be anything benificial for sonic to deal with yoshi on. I feel like as long as you maintain your stage control sonic is screwed, which is my reasoning behind BF and PS2. FD makes sonic's approach very linear and by far the best combo stage for yoshi in the matchup. Dream land would be another great pick against sonic.
Approaching Fox is only safe when the player is not that good or they don't know the matchup, (I assume you use Eggroll) Eggroll is not safe when the player knows the matchup or is a above average player.

Fox Options to Eggroll: Drill into auto combo and pivot grab into Up throw Up air.

DDC Nair Options: Crouch cancel Up Smash, if the opponent is at high percent, I think their best option is to space your approach options.

Meow.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
quinn, eggroll clashes with drill as long as you see it coming, the collision hit and the break out hit gives yoshi the priority. Ive tested this many times. Fox just simply cant handle yoshi's pressure. Falco's drill kick on the other hand will beat egg roll.

didds

Smash Lord
As soon as foxes realize that egg roll is vulnerable to grab, the MU will be a lot more difficult

Scatz

Smash Champion
I just see CC beating eggroll at low percents. Then when the opponent gets to higher percents, CC will stop eggroll's combo ability. They can also just dodge the egg and punish while you're coming out of it or pressure your shield if they don't make it in time.

Don't get me wrong, eggroll is good, but the uses for it (IMO) are still limited as it's not that safe.

Last edited:

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
quinn, eggroll clashes with drill as long as you see it coming, the collision hit and the break out hit gives yoshi the priority. Ive tested this many times. Fox just simply cant handle yoshi's pressure. Falco's drill kick on the other hand will beat egg roll.
ESAM adapted the Eggroll and pushed with drill and pivot grab, you probably have to play someone better. No offense to whoever I speak of.

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
Played new pm yoshi...you guys likely won't like the new changes...just warning you ahead of time...

Personally I think it's fine.. I wanted most of the changes..and am shocked they accepted my feedback...but yea..you'll see in time.
Yoshi got buffed and nerfed at the same time

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Been waiting on the host to post them, he said he would have it done a while ago and has just been to busy i guess.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Played CT Wizzrobe over netplay on stream
http://www.twitch.tv/wizzzrobe/b/550947680
Our games start around 1:28:00
we had very low ping

Critique would be nice, I know I used eggroll alot, but I want you guys to keep this in mind. I was/am playing Dolphin Via Keyboard
My phone doesn't let me watch twitch recordings so I'll have to watch later, but how does one stand playing on a keyboard?.-.

Top Bottom