• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M : What we know (Combo Video Added)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Alright so I just spent the last seven hours playing this bloody game and heres what I found out. In general every single character is broken as hell, mind you they are broken in the way that fox or falco is broken in melee. So its a good kind of broken, they have all been elevated to a point that they can **** each other and not just one **** the other. Not to say there are not bad match ups. Ganon vs fox is still painful but ganondorf has a lot more options now, he is faster and is tilts are better against fox.

Video's in second post

I'll do a brief overview of the match ups that I came across with character I spent a significant amount of time playing.

Mario

Combos -
All of mario's melee combo's are there, his recovery is better and the replacment of his fair with Doc's makes his combo's more deadly. They start off the same but end up differently depending on the situation. Dsmash is even more amazing and a much better kill move this time around, his Ftilt is also a viable GTFO move. Mario can insta grab the ledge if he falls off and capes towards the stage. It seems others character can do this with reverse b moves as well.

Match ups

Ganondorf - 55/45
While ganondorf can outrange mario the fact that mario is so much faster means that after one hit it should lead to a good 40% or so, and if played correctly you can get ganon off the stage. And while his recovery isn't as bad as it is in melee its still pretty easy bair guard him.

Marth - 40/60
this is just as bad as it was in melee, Marth still ***** him up and down the stage and left to right.

Sonic 55/45
Sonic is fast as a speeding bullet but his priority isn't there, mario can only combo him a little because sonic is actually pretty floaty despite how fast he is, and mario's usmash ***** whatever sonic comes down with from the air. The only real threat here is sonic's dsmash, its his best tool against mario (who's spacing isn't so good) As long as mario out space's/out prioritizes sonic then this match is won.

Fox 40/60
Its more or less the same. Further research will need to be done, I didn't check out this match up in to much detail. Same with Falco.

Lucas 45/55
Lucas is a beast...Lucas IS A BEAST. His pressure is comparable to fox and Falco and his spacing is better then the majority of Mario's moves AND he's fast as hell during his pressure. This is a fast paced match that will have mario spacing like crazy with bairs and wave dash's. But half of Lucas's pressure game rely's on landing a grab, cause thats where it starts, getting around that and comboing from there is where it starts to hurt mario. The only reason this match up isnt worse is because mario can combo him back, but lucas DOES out space mario, even by just a little

Stages -
Lucas does well on medium size stages so avoid those, (Fod, Ys, Battlefield is meh) But on the Metal Cavern from smash64 is pretty effective against him because of the numerous slopes (they mess up his grabs) same goes for the new hyrule stage, temple: m. You may also want to consider taking him to silph co. that is if you want to camp the hell out of him, but im guessing most of us didnt get this game to camp. Bigger stages can be both bad and good, if you have better projectiles, good. if not...bad.

Good-
Dreamland64
Metal Cavern
Temple:M
Silph Co.

Bad-
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Rumble Falls
SSE:Jungle
Smashville

Link
Link is slightly better, maybe a lot better, he's a unique character so I'm still exploring what he can do. But his combo's this time around are a lot more obvious, rang combo's in particular are reminiscent of smash64. His up-b is more beastly and its hitbox seems to come out faster. You can still up-b ledge hog but its a little floatier so the timing is different. His nair is even MORE amazing than in melee (If thats even possible!) His aeiral moves in general are faster and his l-canceled dair comes out at about the speed of young links, as does his f-tilt...My god..the ftilt! Its your general GTFO move. There are several characters that can be D-throw > Ftilted at any given moment and put far enough away from you that they cant retaliate! The uptilt and Usmash have both received more range and if im not mistaken the utitlt has more power. Skraaaa out of shield is even better of a pressure killer. but it still wont work against a frame perfect fox or falco. His wave dash timing is really odd though. (Vids Soon) One more thing, his hookshot (Clawshot) is shorter, I mean his up b is better but its just as punishable as it was in melee, so having the clawshot shorter really makes his recovery worse overall. but not by THAT much.

Match ups

Ganondorf - 45/55
Very much the same, the rule of thumb still applies here...don't go near ganondorf, and he can still chaingrab link. But link has a lot of new stuff to **** ganon with as well. I'm calling this slight ganon for the moment, still dont know everything about this match up.

Marth - 50/50
Its the same as melee, except now that link is better the match up is more viable. Again, dont have all that much experience with this match up.

Falco - 45/55
This is a little better, link can usmash falco oos or Skrrraaaa oos to break combo's, not to mention skraaa kills at lower percents now so it can be more dangerous for falco to attack. Falco (and most characters) tech roll slower now so link can tech chase via down throw a lot easier and D-throw tech chase into Skraaa or even another grab whenever he wants. He also has all his old tricks against falco intact. But the insane amount of pressure falco still has over him is puts this match in falco's advantage.

Fox - 45/55
The match up is more or less the same as it was in melee, excpet for the changes mentioned above. the match up is very similar, you will be getting grabbed to uair more in this one though.. and one more very interesting bit is link will now tumble from the shine. meaning he can be thunders combo'd now, but in general shine is weaker against him. And as always he has the same tricks he did before.

Lucas - 55/45
I got some time with this match up but not as much as I would have liked.. in a nut shell, link beats lucas, the key to beating this little bugger is good spacing and link has plenty of that, but his newer tricks run circles around this little guy. Link can do this from very low %.

Jab>Jab>Grab>Dthrow>Turn around> Jab>Jab>Grab>Dthrow>Turn around>Ftilt

Not to mention at ANY given time in the match link can [Jab>Jab>Grab>Dthrow>Ftilt] And remember ftilt is good now so at higher percents this will kill lucas without fail.

And the first combo mentioned can be elongated because lucas will almost always spotdodge, wait for it, regrab and then do whatever. you dont even have to turn around and jab rest him, you can utilt>bair him if you want. And even though lucas has some good projectiles link's are better, his arrows, bomb and particularly rang, will mess lucas up. The only reason this isnt 60/40 is because of how well lucas can pressure a shield. And even though link as gotten better his shield is still a prime target for rush down characters.

Falcon - 45/55
This is more or less the same thing as in melee, but link has more ways to grab falcon now so link can get in more combo's, the only problem is falcons nair has been buffed so your projectiles are less useful. But other than that its the same.

Ganondorf
Again not all that much time with ganondorf but I can tell you right now he is far more viable then his melee AND brawl counter part. He is just plain better. His dtilt and ftilt are the most noticeable examples of this. His recovery is better, thats mentioned on the site. And his side b is the same, so you're getting a brawl ganondorf turned to melee. Imo ganon has been balanced very well.

Match ups

Link - 55/45 (Already covered this on link)

Mario - 45/55 (Already covered this on mario)

Lucas - 55/45
This is ganondorf's match, I said earlier the most important thing to beat Lucas is spacing, and ganondorf's got that. Honestly I could go on for paragraphs about how much ganon beats Lucas but you just need to now when lucas is going to attack and out space him. Once again though reason this match up isn't even more in ganondorf's favor is because of Lucas's beastly pressure, once you get hit by a good lucas you will be *****. You may not lose your stock but you will be one giant step closer to it.

Marth - ??/??
Got almost no time with this match up but it is still pretty bad for ganondorf.

Sheik
I spent a little time with her but didn't delve to deep, but she seems largely unchanged from her melee counterpart... except for the uair doesn't kill, she's sort of like pal sheik now. I didn't check to see if the tether was still there, I'm sure the official Project M site will have that info though.
I've been notified its the same as the melee uair but it definetly feels different, perhaps its just the size of the brawl model in play. I dunno It feels weird but the uair still kills.

Lucas
Lucas is good...really good. The only thing that offsets his amazingness is his poor spacing, But once he gets a hit in he should be able to combo with a variety of options. He seems particularly effective against spacies on FD, I experimented a little with that and he can combo fox with uthrow to uair to fair. It varies but thats the general order. before that though its usually grab dthrow and tech chase regrab for the set up. Also, His jab doesn't work as well as others for a lead into grab. that has to be mind gamed in. Most likely by pivot grabbing. Holding b also allows you to charge lucas and power up his smash attacks, which is pretty cool. In short lucas feels a lot more fluid than the other characters and actually feels like he is a melee character.

[More to come!]

Zodiac

Smash Master

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I definitely like where you getting at hear, and P:M is likely to get fairly popular over the next few days as everyone is experimenting with the cast. I'll sticky this for the time being.

its like brawl release all over again haha.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The best place to get information about individual characters is our official website. If you have any individual queries, I can answer them in here.

By the way, we've found out so much about Melee's game engine by delving into its file structure for the purpose of Project M. We'll be sharing that information after our final release ;).

Zodiac

Smash Master
The best place to get information about individual characters is our official website. If you have any individual queries, I can answer them in here.
Honestly this like getting a whole new smash game, It really is its own beast and theres a lot to be found out about it. I mean you guys could tell us everything we need to now but Im having a lot of fun doing this XD

nube

Smash Apprentice
Why were Project M topics posted in the Melee Discussion board, then moved into the Melee mod board, instead of the Brawl mod board.

Cool stuff tho

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is a thread with over 25 thousand posts and 1 million views in the Brawl mod board. The point of this thread, I believe, was to get information to people who only lurk the Melee boards, as Melee veteran players are one of the target audiences of the game.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well thats all I for the moment, Once I play more I'll post more stuff. others are welcome to post and add to it, I will edit the first post whenever I get the chance. Now to go and record all those replay's @_@

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. Regarding the OP, sheiks uair is unaltered in KO power, so just want to clarify the OPs feelings. Glad you are all enjoying it!

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Ive been playing this for awhile, but I dont think Link is even with marth at all in any shape or form. At first look everybody did seem broken, but after playing for awhile, i don't think anybody is broken except for jiggs, marth, and maybe ganon cause he can chainthrow some ppl forever and it seems he have more power in P:M did he did in Melee.

shanus

Smash Hero
Ive been playing this for awhile, but I dont think Link is even with marth at all in any shape or form. At first look everybody did seem broken, but after playing for awhile, i don't think anybody is broken except for jiggs, marth, and maybe ganon cause he can chainthrow some ppl forever and it seems he have more power in P:M did he did in Melee.
Jiggs and Marth have melee exact data for just about every move

Ganon's dthrow is melee exact, however, his ftilt was buffed as was his sideB and a few other changes.

Remember everyone, for the top tiers we used direct exports of their hitbox data from melee.dat files :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Ganondorf is far from broken. You can out space him and he can't keep up or get any hits in. Just don't get flustered when he gets the SideB/jab tech chase. Ez win against ganon if you outspace him, and periodically go in for hits/combos.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Jiggs and Marth have melee exact data for just about every move

Ganon's dthrow is melee exact, however, his ftilt was buffed as was his sideB and a few other changes.

Remember everyone, for the top tiers we used direct exports of their hitbox data from melee.dat files :)
I can't really debate you on ganon throw you are the developer. Im just say he can dthrow fox from 30% till like 100% till whatever attack. He couldn't do that to him on melee. But they fall faster on P:M than on Melee. Thats why it last so long(to me) and he's space animal so....

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Ganondorf is far from broken. You can out space him and he can't keep up or get any hits in. Just don't get flustered when he gets the SideB/jab tech chase. Ez win against ganon if you outspace him, and periodically go in for hits/combos.
Don't get me wrong your right, with marth you can out space him, If your the space animals you can get in the right space with fox or falco and he can't really do anything about it(just like melee). But there no denying how long his chainthrow last against them, unless my friends(who are good at DI) was just messing up or they couldn't do anything about it. But I ask them and they told me they were but they couldn't anything but hope I mess up.

shanus

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong your right, with marth you can out space him, If your the space animals you can get in the right space with fox or falco and he can't really do anything about it(just like melee). But there no denying how long his chainthrow last against them, unless my friends(who are good at DI) was just messing up or they couldn't do anything about it. But I ask them and they told me they were but they couldn't anything but hope I mess up.
It should be DIable without much issue, unless your magus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsNbCkzRF-s

LLDL

Smash Hero
just di when you hit the ground. Or if he uses his side b tech chase immediately dair if you're a space animal.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
just sdi when you hit the ground. Or if he uses his side b tech chase immediately dair if you're a space animal.
You can only smash DI things that have hitlag <_<

Throws do not have hitlag (well, there are a couple exceptions)

Bouncing on the ground does not have hitlag

LLDL

Smash Hero
Whoops. I was correcting a typo from "jut sdi" to "just di" and forgot to remove the s. Yeah, not smash DI, just DI.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I have a question, since I never unlocked all the characters
when I download project M will I have to unlock them all? :(

allright I'm using a Brawl disk and a hackless wii to play project M
now how do I start the game?

shanus

Smash Hero

hop on the support irc (Project M thread title has the link) for help

nube

Smash Apprentice
If you want to draw the attention of Melee players to Project M, these threads should go in the Melee discussion board. It's completely unrelated to Melee hacking, I have no clue why these threads are in here. They'll only compete with the real Melee hack topics. Could a mod move these Project M threads?

It's even stickied? Come on.

Zodiac

Smash Master
It should be DIable without much issue, unless your magus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsNbCkzRF-s
I know fear magus O_O

In other news, I'm recording replay's right to put together a compilation, I don't think I have enough for a terribly long combo video, maybe a few minutes. but It should get the gist of Project M across to whoever watches it.

Edit:updated with Counter pick against lucas

Revven

FrankerZ
Sheik's Uair may feel weaker only because of the way DI is currently, aside from that... it has the same stats in Melee.

Just being informative.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you want to draw the attention of Melee players to Project M, these threads should go in the Melee discussion board. It's completely unrelated to Melee hacking, I have no clue why these threads are in here. They'll only compete with the real Melee hack topics. Could a mod move these Project M threads?

It's even stickied? Come on.
Use the report button instead of spamming up the thread if you want to get the attention of the moderators.

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice

No, you don't.

I helped a friend who just borrowed a brawl disc from his brother set up project m today. All the 14 characters and stages are there from the start.

Weird thing though is after some vs matches he got the "Challenger Approaching!" screen and fought Marth and unlocked him. Even though Marth was there from the beginning and being played as.

edit: I like where this thread is going, but the majority of matchups will very similar to how they would in melee. I'd suggest giving the basics of the match up from melee, then if anything changes as a result from slight character move tweaks or describing how brawl DI effects things. Ex "You can survive xmove at #% now instead of _____, how it was in melee. This changes ____ and makes these viable options (explain)." Not the best example, but put emphasis on differences and what is now possible or no longer possible.

Stages are different therefore worth discussing entirely obviously.

Zodiac

Smash Master
edit: I like where this thread is going, but the majority of matchups will very similar to how they would in melee. I'd suggest giving the basics of the match up from melee, then if anything changes as a result from slight character move tweaks or describing how brawl DI effects things. Ex "You can survive xmove at #% now instead of _____, how it was in melee. This changes ____ and makes these viable options (explain)." Not the best example, but put emphasis on differences and what is now possible or no longer possible.

Stages are different therefore worth discussing entirely obviously.
I would but there are numerous character guides in the melee character specific boards, it would be more efficient to just read it there then wait for the time it would take me to get it all in one place.

And sure I'll add some of those videos. I might just go by channel or make a playlist

Edit: New lucas info in first post

Zodiac

Smash Master
This thread is so pointless in this subforum.
I asked a mod to move it back to either melee boards or melee mods, but no response yet. seeing as how its target audience is the melee crowd who kind of liked brawl. I think thats where its best suited.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
well I don't think I'm super knowledgeable but here's what I know about snake(i also don't know if this is the right thread)

-he can put his mine at the edge for some pretty **** edgeguards against most recoveries since you can no longer sweet spot the edge.

- he has chain grabs on ff's up throw I have no idea if they are guaranteed or just a mix up, but I'm pretty sure its a true cg. He can also get guaranteed stickies at these times along with uptilt.

-it may be escapable but ftilt 1 to grab or sticky works on jiggs

- he can forward smash fox's up B if fox has to recover low ( this may not work if fox can come directly up however. and I assume he can do this to falco as well.

- cooked grenades are really effective at stopping "air camping" if you will.

If I had to label snakes strengths its probably in grab game and edge guarding

If this is the wrong thread for this post I'll be happy to delete it

Zodiac

Smash Master
I will update soon with ganon info, been playing as him a lot lately.

Edit: If this thread was placed int he proper forum I would update it more often, but Im getting together clips for a new combo video

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
So far, I'm agreeing with the MU data, except ganon v. lucas... it's pretty easy to retreat with PK freeze, and ganon's not-so-mad ups make it easy to catch him during a jump. Not saying that Lucas's crappy spacing doesn't make this a hard match, but the point is that the ganon HAS to approach, and Lucas can do some pretty big punishes oos. I'd probably put it 55/45 in Lucas's favor...

EDIT: O_o...Okay, wow... I just totally got the **** spaced out of me by a ganon. I didn't realize just how much of a spacing advantage there was on Lucas... OoS tactics barely worked at all... sorry for the misleading post... I need to go lie down after that.

Anyway, here's what I've noticed with Lucas: He's basically the unholy offspring of Mewtwo and Falco... Shield-stabbing AND shield pressure galore...

1. approaches are difficult, since your projectile is comparably slow/mid range, and you are forced to get in close. His dtilt sucks, so WD dtilt doesn't work. Lucas is pretty speedy, but once a character can get some good spacing on you, he doesn't have too many options.
2. Nair is good pressure, but has some terrible range. shffl'd nairs are pretty easily punished by some of the faster characters. Still, a LOT of combos can come out of nair, especially on heavier characters.
3. Smashes are BEASTLY in every meaning of the word. Fsmash is generally your best bet for a finisher, since it's quick and ranged, but usmash is awesome for tech reads, up-b punishes, and hitstunned opponents. Even if an opponent manages to pull up a shield on the usmash, a "b-charged" usmash will easily break even a slightly damaged shield. So far, I've seen that dsmash can be DI'd out of pretty easily, so it doesn't have as big a payoff, even b-charged.
4. Lucas's aerial to ground game can be pretty epic, if an approach is pulled off... nairs can be chained on a few characters, dash-attack/WD to fsmash is a pretty simple follow-up that will kill if the smashes are charged, and nair ->dthrow->WD _____ will work on low-damage characters. If a sweetspotted bair lands on a grounded opponent, there is enough hitstun to land a usmash, which will pretty much kill anyone over 50% (if I feel like it, I'll go get some exact percentages... I DO know that a puff who doesn't DI will die at 0% by a fully charged/b-charged usmash on low-ceiling stages. That alone is worth being a Lucas main, even though it will never happen XD)

Last thing, THE ZELDA MATCHUP SUCKS... Din's fire forces your approach, which can be easily punished by Zelda's fsmash. Not to mention, Zelda has just about the easiest finisher on Lucas in the world (dthrow->fair/bair). If you sit there and camp (as in, sideb the Zelda/downb the Din's fire), the match lasts just about forever... worst thing since puff dittos...

Let me know if I'm horribly wrong on something; this is just what I've noticed over the past few weeks.

Top Bottom