• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Very out of place...in a Smash Game!? Unless you haven't removed footstooling entirely, I'd say that doesn't make very much sense. It was a move trait that made certain moves better for poking, Mario's down strong attack isn't really a very good move for poking, but given the chance that it can open the opponent up for a charged smash, players might take the risk.

Moves that trip should generally be mediocre to crappy moves in every other way, players should be rewarded for actually risking crappy moves that would usually lead to more punishment than reward.
That honestly sounds like terrible reasoning. A move shouldn't be crappy just so it has a small chance at causing an opening that would somehow make it less crappy. A move should give expected results generally followed by predictions of the opponent's next action. As it is, Mario's DTilt is one of the moves in Brawl that can be punished on hit which is absolutely awful. No one wants to take the chance with that kind of result just to see if they're lucky enough to get any real use out of it. A move should reliable in either a general or situational use, not by a shady chance.

Slashy

Smash Lord
That honestly sounds like terrible reasoning. A move shouldn't be crappy just so it has a small chance at causing an opening that would somehow make it less crappy. A move should give expected results generally followed by predictions of the opponent's next action. As it is, Mario's DTilt is one of the moves in Brawl that can be punished on hit which is absolutely awful. No one wants to take the chance with that kind of result just to see if they're lucky enough to get any real use out of it. A move should reliable in either a general or situational use, not by a shady chance.
I guess Judgment was a bad move too.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Judgement isn't a very good move. It's not being changed because G&W has a very solid moveset anyways.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Isn't SF4 the one that most SF3 fans have been hating nowadays? I know little of the game series' properties and community, but I've mostly heard hate of SF4.
Yep, Capcom was smart though. If SF4 had the same engine as SF3 do you honestly think that more people would have bought SF4? SF as a series was dwindling, but Capcom made the right move with SF4 to expand their audience and voila! Capcom essentially revived the fighting game market.

I disagree FrozenHobo about the fact that you NEED a game to be hard or deep for people to go back and play a game. Mario Kart isn't deep or hard, yet everybody brings that game out once in a while and plays it. There is a community that loves Mario Kart. If it was like Grand Turismo, I highly doubt there would be so many people playing that game.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
do you have nay data to back up your claims? just because you enjoy playing a game doesn't mean i should believe you when you say the population is high. i can pull up population statistics on halo at the click of a button if you need me to. as far as mario kart goes, though, its speculation. i really, legitimately want to see where i can get soem numbers on the game's population to see what factual backing your claim has.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
@ BAD

Your argumentative personality has been rather unproductive for this thread in general. All you have done is spark something with a snide comment and then play tug-o-war with basically the entire thread for 12+ pages over off-topic subjects that are hardly relevant. This forum is not for discussing mechanics of what determines good games, casual vs. competitiveness, ect. This thread was created to discuss P:M, and questions of it. If you are here just to try to make debate over how the gaming market should work, I ask you to please leave to create/find your own thread for it.

I will admit it doesn't help that others are joining in on your banter, but rather than trying to bring an end to it, everyone arguing just continues to derail this thread further. Please remember that despite all of your argumentation, we all have the same goal in mind, to create/play a fun game that everyone can enjoy

Slashy

Smash Lord
I feel like the more randomness you remove, the more the you remove the party elements from the smash series, and thus part of its identity. Some randomness I think makes the game a lot more fun, and I don't think that all randomness should be delegated to items (though most of it should).I don't know why this game needs to be MORE competitive than Melee.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to start a debate or anything, just real quick, the only characters to be "officially" added are any members of the melee that were left behind?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
That is only if the clone engine becomes stable. And I'm not too sure about Doc of YLInk, because both of some of their movesets have been incorporated into other characters.

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why this game needs to be MORE competitive than Melee.
Understandable, but tripping wasn't in Melee, so including it would add an extra element of luck and thus make the game less competitively oriented.

I'm fine with tripping from moves as a mechanic, but it would have to be guaranteed when it occurs - perhaps if sweetspotted at a certain percentage range or something. But the developers aren't taking that direction, and the decision is probably not open for debate. So it's moot - continued discussion of it will be totally fruitless and isn't worth anyone's time (much like the last 20 or so pages).

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
@BAD
The heart of the matter is, casual players and competitive players alike LOVE Melee. There's no doubt about that. Just because a game has the ability to become technical doesn't mean it has to.

I play melee with my cousins all the time. They're horrible at it and I go easy on them while still winning 100% of the time but guess what? They still love playing it. Why? Because it's FUN.

I remember when I first got Melee on release day. I was terrible at it. I got my *** kicked by lvl 9s all day. But I still came back because seriously, it's one of the most entertaining games I've played and probably ever will play.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, it was completely unnecessary to remove the competitive aspects of Melee since casual players would play it ANYWAY.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
I want Roy. Roy was a favorite of mine in Melee. They need to improve on his CC game and Wavedashing to make him better.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I feel like the more randomness you remove, the more the you remove the party elements from the smash series, and thus part of its identity. Some randomness I think makes the game a lot more fun, and I don't think that all randomness should be delegated to items (though most of it should).I don't know why this game needs to be MORE competitive than Melee.
there has been nothing announced for Project M that makes it any less of a party game than Melee.

Brawl's "party elements" were ********. So they're being removed. Good riddance. Even casuals hate tripping.

Slashy

Smash Lord
@BAD
The heart of the matter is, casual players and competitive players alike LOVE Melee. There's no doubt about that. Just because a game has the ability to become technical doesn't mean it has to.

I play melee with my cousins all the time. They're horrible at it and I go easy on them while still winning 100% of the time but guess what? They still love playing it. Why? Because it's FUN.

I remember when I first got Melee on release day. I was terrible at it. I got my *** kicked by lvl 9s all day. But I still came back because seriously, it's one of the most entertaining games I've played and probably ever will play.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, it was completely unnecessary to remove the competitive aspects of Melee since casual players would play it ANYWAY.
Look at Brawl Minus it is more casual and more competitive.

Slashy

Smash Lord
there has been nothing announced for Project M that makes it any less of a party game than Melee.

Brawl's "party elements" were ********. So they're being removed. Good riddance. Even casuals hate tripping.
How was tripping from attacks a bad thing? It was a move property, and it was just an added punishment for getting it. It rewarded the attacker for using a specific move.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
AeonClock, we just got the thread back to being good, please... a different thread for that topic.

Regarding clone engine, I want mah mewtwo.

Knips

Smash Rookie
Yeah I threw it together in 15 minutes, basically just to be the exact opposite of my first suggestion, which was fast paced and all action. I just wanted to get a better gauge of what it should be like.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
I like how Marth got his neutral B back from Melee. The one from brawl was gay.

Slashy said:
Umm, Marvel VS Capcom 2 had an amazing intro.

Brawl's intro was mostly just SSE clips.
Brawl's intro > MVsC2's intro. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating the truth.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Ladies and Dudes, read my post concering the contest.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11816740&postcount=28

Wish I was awake. I listened to the Roost after mopping my hallway.

Also, casuals are nice to have, but not as reliable in the long run.
Trying to cater to them exclusively will lead to your slow demise.

Anyway, if you want Roy, donate to Dantarion or something.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Not to mention it looked cooler too. The one in Brawl looked awkward. Want Roy.....
Just have faith in The Wizard. I do, you also can.

I wouldn't say that the ocidental FE RD is more difficult. In the Japanese one you can't promote units without a Master Seal/Master Crown/Holy crown. Only that makes things more difficult.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Ladies and Dudes, read my post concering the contest.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11816740&postcount=28

Wish I was awake. I listened to the Roost after mopping my hallway.

Also, casuals are nice to have, but not as reliable in the long run.
Trying to cater to them exclusively will lead to your slow demise.

Anyway, if you want Roy, donate to Dantarion or something.
I have to pay him money for Roy? Oh well, Roy will always be playable in Melee....

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
uh..........

The donation is to give the Wizard more incentive to finish the clone engine so Roy and Mewtwo can return bug-free.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
uh..........

The donation is to give the Wizard more incentive to finish the clone engine so Roy and Mewtwo can return bug-free.
Really? He doesn't want to give us Roy or Mewtwo out of the kindness of his own heart? He needs more of a reason to put them in the game?

You guys can donate. I'll just chill and wait.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Really? He doesn't want to give us Roy or Mewtwo out of the kindness of his own heart? He needs more of a reason to put them in the game?

You guys can donate. I'll just chill and wait.
I already said this <_<
someone basically said "LOLOLOLOL OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF HIS HEART HAHAHA
... excuse me..

LMFAOOOOO"

@_@

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Even in Melee this can still happen... :p
Just like to point out that it is very easy to stop that sort-of camping if you stop and think about it, rather than rushing in again and again when the planker is in the perfect position to gimp you (read: IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ATTACK)

Look at Brawl Minus it is more casual and more competitive.
How is Brawl Minus casual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom