• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Melee detects landing by their shin.

Brawl detects landing by the bottom of the foot.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Virtua Fighter. That is what will happen if Nintendo took the hardcore route. I agree with you.
Do you have terrible memory or does the name "Melee" not come to mind at all? It's been said way too many times that it's worked before even if by accident.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Melee detects landing by their shin.

Brawl detects landing by the bottom of the foot.
How does this cause problems?

Gamedominator06 said:
Do you have terrible memory or does the name "Melee" not come to mind at all? It's been said way too many times that it's worked before even if by accident.
Just saying that if Sakurai added on the depth of Melee that not as many people would have purchased Brawl. I'm just using Virtua Fighter as an example of how a series got more complicated with sequels and yet fewer people play the series.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
To name some examples, platform wavelanding is tougher to do, Mario cannot SH Bair waveland, it's harder for Marth to SH double Fair, Samus can't missile cancel as properly, Falco and Fox can't laser cancel very close to the ground, Ganondorf and Falcon can't get their Dair hitbox through platforms, etc.

It all helps with the seamless transition from Melee to PM and also helps SHFFLing for all characters.

EDIT: Partial ninja, but you get the idea.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just saying that if Sakurai added on the depth of Melee that not as many people would have purchased Brawl. I'm just using Virtua Fighter as an example of how a series got more complicated with sequels and yet fewer people play the series.
I disagree.

The depth of Melee doesn't even apply to casuals, why should they care?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
There is no evidence to prove that; it's baseless speculation. Melee was just as newcomer-friendly as 64 was, if a little bit faster. The engine values and properties could've been left alone at best and very few casuals would know any better.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
There is no evidence to prove that; it's baseless speculation. Melee was just as newcomer-friendly as 64 was, if a little bit faster. The engine values and properties could've been left alone at best and very few casuals would know any better.
Then why do noobz prefer Brawl over Melee? They even consider it more fun. Why did Brawl win against Melee on GameFAQs?

I'm just saying that Brawl would not of had the success it has gotten if it wasn't for it's more noob friendly engine. Look at Stree Fighter. Do you think SF4 would have been such a mainstream hit if it simply added on the depth of SF3?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Then why do noobz prefer Brawl over Melee? They even consider it more fun. Why did Brawl win against Melee on GameFAQs?

I'm just saying that Brawl would not of had the success it has gotten if it wasn't for it's more noob friendly engine. Look at Stree Fighter. Do you think SF4 would have been such a mainstream hit if it simply added on the depth of SF3?
You think being less competitive has a lot to do with that? You're joking, right? Casuals don't need much more than bigger bells and whistles to pick a sequel over its predecessor oftentimes and that's essentially what Brawl offers: more characters, more items, more stages, more, more, more. That's simply most of all there is to it.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
I doubt that. SF player's were shrinking and needed to be expanded on. Capcom can't just focus on their hardcore players. They made a smart move making SF4 slower and more noob friendly. Why is it that Virtua Fighter 5, the best fighting game of all time get's no play? Because they don't broaden their horizon to make newcomers get into the game easier.

Brawl expanded their audience. Just accept it. Smash is now a bigger game than before with Melee.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This can stay closed for a couple of days I think. This is NOT a Melee vs Brawl thread. IT's for discussing this codeset ONLY.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I only caught the last bit, but they reduced the time needed to charge Diddy's Jetpack huh? I can see how that would be necessary considering the higher gravity.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
How 'bout that local sports team?

Merits of Toon Link vs. Young Link. Go!

Also PMBR has been productive when we weren't addressing random complaints that we've already addressed before.

shanus

Smash Hero
Stay tuned for some major updates this week or next. I guarantee you won't be disappointed :)

Stevo

Smash Champion
Merits of Young link
- fast projectile user
-good run speed but also floaty in the air
- good control over projectiles.

Negatives
-had a terrible fastfall
-non-unique moveset

Merits of Toon Link
-Arrows more useful
-differentiates more from standard link
-attracts younger audiences who don't remember OoT and brawl players

Negatives
-attracts younger audiences who don't remember OoT and brawl players
-no Ph1r3

the hybrid toon link should be better than young link or toon link on their own. (like Nurse Mario)

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
Well, I imagine not a lot of people knew this thread was being reopened today.

I imagine it would be too much to hope for the major update to be Project:M fully complete and downloadable on Christmas, right?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Can I ask a question? What is it so important that the transition be seemless? I think the concept of an updated Melee-style Smash game has a lot of merit. I don't think an "updated melee" that plays exactly the same with a few more characters does, though.

I'm just saying, a few minor differences are OK and help differentiate between Melee and Melee 2. The game will still offer technical depth if, say, landing detection is not "fixed" and other buffs are put into place for Marios SH bair waveland or whatever. Imagine if Melee 2 came out tomorrow and the game was pretty similar to melee in terms of technical depth but offered other or additional challenges, landing was a little different, etc. No one would really complain and it would help solidify its status as a different game.

Right now the aim seems to be more of a WoW patch for Melee than a new experience.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is good as an idea sometimes, but adding new or "different" technical challenges isn't going to make PM a lower-quality codeset, and will make it feel like a more natural extension of the series instead of Melee with better graphics, which is what I'm ultimately worried about. You guys think right now that you want Melee Again, but it's because of rose-colored glasses. A few months after this hack is released, will it have been so worthwhile to hammer out landing detection or whatever? Is it really that important that you die at 100?

a nub

Smash Ace
yl's projectiles ****
nair is ****
uair has a crazy ***ken broken hitbox for yl also looool
moonwalk and up b cancels are sexy
stage tethers (I know theyre not doable atm :()
faster base falling speed

tl has bigger hitboxes I think cuz he uses the master sword
bair is ****
lol zair
can actually fastfall loooool

Havent played barlw in long enough to remember more specifics, other than stuff thats already been taken care of

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Landing detection is important due to the amount of things that it impacts. It hurts a lot of approaches and a ton of character specific abilities.

And people keep saying that Project M is identical to Melee, but that's not the case. The roster is rebalanced, and there are ATs from Brawl that are being kept.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
To be fair to you guys, I have not actually played PM. :)

Shadic while you're here, how's ZSS looking? Any details you can share with a fanboy? eheh

Also, is glide tossing in?

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
Lets do the time warp agaiiiin!

Hybrid toon link is looking sweet by what ive seen.
All his airs are nice now especially the sex kick.

Only thing I wish for PM Christmastime is stage tether <3 hopefully broad casted on the PMBR sunshine chopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom