• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Because you have to mod your wii to play it, thus making you more than a casual?
Brawl's intro > MVsC2's intro. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating the truth.
You're trying to state something inherently subjective, as whether something is enjoyable can not be objective, as fact. Don't be arrogant; you try to do it all the time.
And so do a lot of people who respond to you, to be honest.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Erm... Because it has a reasonably deep competitive game?

Deeper than Brawl at least.
So deep in fact that there are tournaments dedicated to Brawl Minus. Your right, Brawl Minus is a deep game.

Strong_Bad said:
You're trying to state something inherently subjective, as whether something is enjoyable can not be objective, as fact. Don't be arrogant; you try to do it all the time.
And so do a lot of people who respond to you, to be honest.
Right, because an intro that has orchestrated music and cinematic cutscenes with gameplay mixed in is inferior to something as generic as MVsC2's intro.

Brawl vs Melee is subjective. You guys can't factually say Melee is technically superior than Brawl. Cause' after all, something subjective can't be objective.

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
People seem to think a game either has to be casual or competitive. They can be BOTH.

This fact should end all these pointless arguments but seriously, I doubt it will -.-

Knips

Smash Rookie
Right, because an intro that has orchestrated music and cinematic cutscenes with gameplay mixed in is inferior to something as generic as MVsC2's intro.
So any intro that doesn't have orchestrated music and cinematic cutscenes is automatically inferior? Says who?

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
So deep in fact that there are tournaments dedicated to Brawl Minus. Your right, Brawl Minus is a deep game.

Brawl vs Melee is subjective. You guys can't factually say Melee is technically superior than Brawl. Cause' after all, something subjective can't be objective.
Then play Brawl if you think it's not inferior? <_<

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
It's all subjective. Obviously. This is a moronic debate.

...Seriously, let's all just stop responding to this guy.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
It's all subjective. Obviously. This is a moronic debate.

...Seriously, let's all just stop responding to this guy.
How is balance (number of viable characters is how i determine balance) and speed of play subjective?
Technical depth maaaybeee can be subjective..
but the others don't seem that way to me.
not trying to continue the argument, i'm just wondering. <_<

And ya we SHOULD just stop responding

(tohimnotmecuzi'mkewl)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Chill, I'm just giving Strong_Bad a taste of his own logic.
My logic is that your posts are attempting to state subjective viewpoints as facts, which is fallacious. You responded with:
Which is not even sarcastically pointing out a flaw in my logic in any way. In fact, it's simply more arrogance.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
How is balance (number of viable characters is how i determine balance) and speed of play subjective?
Technical depth maaaybeee can be subjective..
but the others don't seem that way to me.
-not trying to continue the argument, i'm just wondering. <_<-
While those things aren't really subjective, whether they are good or bad IS subjective.

Like, you could say that Brawl has more characters. That is objective.

You could say that Brawl having more characters is good. That is subjective (despite being pretty much the view of almost the entire world).

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Which is not even sarcastically pointing out a flaw in my logic in any way. In fact, it's simply more arrogance.
Your right, judging to see which intro is better is wrong. All intro's are good and none are better than the other. We should use Skyler's intro for P:M since we can't even tell if that intro is better or worse than Brawl's intro.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There's nothing wrong with trying ascertain which intro you enjoy more. What is wrong, however, are statements such as this:
Brawl's intro > MVsC2's intro. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating the truth.
which contains a tone that seems to act as if your opinion on which intro is better is the truth.

The arrogant attitude inherent in such statements is why the Brawl community and Melee community can't seem to get along with each other - on both sides.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Your right, judging to see which intro is better is wrong. All intro's are good and none are better than the other. We should use Skyler's intro for P:M since we can't even tell if that intro is better or worse than Brawl's intro.
Great logic.

But I certainly agree with Slashy on one thing here: just using generic SSE clips rather than a completely unique clip dedicated to the intro (not to mention, the complete lack of SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAAAAAAAAAWL!!! being shouted) makes for a rather lackluster intro. Melee and 64 did much better, personally.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing wrong with trying ascertain which intro you enjoy more. What is wrong, however, are statements such as this:

which contains a tone that seems to act as if your opinion on which intro is better is the truth.

The arrogant attitude inherent in such statements is why the Brawl community and Melee community can't seem to get along with each other - on both sides.
Strong_Bad, which intro do you think is better?

Ecks

Smash Lord
So I just joined this site to tell you guys how awesome this project is. so yeah, awesome job guys!

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
do you have nay data to back up your claims? just because you enjoy playing a game doesn't mean i should believe you when you say the population is high. i can pull up population statistics on halo at the click of a button if you need me to. as far as mario kart goes, though, its speculation. i really, legitimately want to see where i can get soem numbers on the game's population to see what factual backing your claim has.
Just to put this out there, but I can also pull Halo's population stats out, and Reach has had about 5 times as many players in the past 24 hours as Halo 3 did. While Reach vs. 3 is quite relative to the whole sequels=less competitive debate, (even though it should really be Reach + 3 vs. 2 if you want to talk competitive), it would be nice if you checked you facts before bringing up easily verifiable statistics.

Reach Statistics: http:
//www.bungie.net/stats/reach/online.aspx

Players Online (24h): 599,795

Halo 3 Statistics: http://www.bungie.net/online/default.aspx
Players Online (24h): 119,268

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I prefer Brawl's. I still skip it at the start, though.
Why do Mario and Wario get different specials while is left Sonic with two similar specials?
Because specials can be similar yet accomplish completely different things e.g. ROB's up/side-b in Project M.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Just to put this out there, but I can also pull Halo's population stats out, and Reach has had about 5 times as many players in the past 24 hours as Halo 3 did. While Reach vs. 3 is quite relative to the whole sequels=less competitive debate, (even though it should really be Reach + 3 vs. 2 if you want to talk competitive), it would be nice if you checked you facts before bringing up easily verifiable statistics.

you also fail to realize that your statistics are based on the current conditions. my statement referred to halo 3 at its peak compared to reach at its peak, which would show halo 3 with a higher number.

BAD

Smash Apprentice

THANK YOU!!!

Strong_Bad said:
I prefer Brawl's. I still skip it at the start, though.
Why do you prefer Brawl's intro though? What makes you think that Brawl's intro > CvsM2's intro overall?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Robs side special basically became an airdash. As opposed to the his completely vertical momentum from his up b, his side b does the same distance but completely horizontal.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Why do Mario and Wario get different specials while is left Sonic with two similar specials?
The moves may be similar, but they have many different properties, being useful in different situations, and thus what Strong_Bad said.

Transformation time can't be changed. They changed the frames which she is vulnerable after activating it.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
you also fail to realize that your statistics are based on the current conditions. my statement referred to halo 3 at its peak compared to reach at its peak, which would show halo 3 with a higher number.
Unfortunately, the statistics of all time highs are not readily available, same as the Mario Kart statistics. Unless I needed to look several pages deeper in my google search for it.

(Note that I am of the opinion that Halo 2 was the most competitive out of all of the games in the series due to weapon mechanics and maps, but Reach get a bad rap for being "casual" and "gimmicky" when the majority of changes (sans Bloom, but that only needs a small tweak) actually add depth to the game compared to Halo 3. This is completely different than the Melee vs. Brawl debate in which it is confirmed that competitive depth was purposefully taken out of Brawl to cater to a casual audience, which is in no way what happened to Halo.)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
whats happening to zelda's transform time?
The length is tied to loading times sadly (which doesn't make any sense at all to me; how the hell does Melee do this faster on a slightly weaker console?).

EDIT: Ok, there's reading the SD card, but seriously.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
In a game like Brawl that was released with virtually no risk and was guaranteed to sell billions of copies because of a casual fanbase mostly, I'm not sure that the "hardcore" fans were really all that important. Sorry to say, but you guys (we, really) didn't sell Brawl. Casual fans did. The game sold billions of copies and then was never to be updated again, it came as-is. Hell, hardcore fans don't even buy peripherals several years down the line because we want a controller Nintendo doesn't even produce in mass quantities anymore. I'm not sure how hardcore players could be considered any more or less (likely less though) profitable than your average casual consumer. Can someone explain this to me? If you guys think you are offering series longevity you are sadly mistaken.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
In a game like Brawl that was released with virtually no risk and was guaranteed to sell billions of copies because of a casual fanbase mostly, I'm not sure that the "hardcore" fans were really all that important. Sorry to say, but you guys (we, really) didn't sell Brawl. Casual fans did. The game sold billions of copies and then was never to be updated again, it came as-is. Hell, hardcore fans don't even buy peripherals several years down the line because we want a controller Nintendo doesn't even produce in mass quantities anymore. I'm not sure how hardcore players could be considered any more or less (likely less though) profitable than your average casual consumer. Can someone explain this to me? If you guys think you are offering series longevity you are sadly mistaken.
Virtua Fighter. That is what will happen if Nintendo took the hardcore route. I agree with you.

Anywayz, what is the problem with landing detection? I hear that throughout this thread but don't know what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom