• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
An ignorant ****** like me is finta get real salty if you guys haven't figured out how to not cause a break out when ICs use blizzard >:L

****** POWAHS ACTIVATE!!!!

FORM OF WATERMELON & FRIED CHICKEN COMBO!

iLink

Smash Champion
This all depends on what happens during the balancing phase right? I mean if they say **** it and give everyone spikes then you wouldn't need it. i SERIOUSlY doubt that though. Some characters would be OP'd. Like Falcon/Ganon and such.
How can you say their's would be OP when Falco's is arguably easier to land then both of those.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
cause they don't have one in melee. the change would easily make them better but i don't really know how much

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
How can you say their's would be OP when Falco's is arguably easier to land then both of those.
cause they don't have one in melee. the change would easily make them better but i don't really know how much
Mostly because of this.

How many characters could escape getting nipple spiked by these 2? All you have to do is Dair off the edge and you got a kills. They are bigger bigger hitboxes and such on their moves. think about it though seriously....A would will Falcon can Fthrow Dair kill people....Ugly...Ganon Jab Dair.....lol. I can't think of it. It's just too scary. *covers eyes*

btw did anything exciting happen on the stream? Cuz of my girl I kinda missed everything :(

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
I wouldn't complain if they change Sonic's Dair.

With him already falling pretty fast, the stall-then-fall Dair loses its vantage anyway.

They should make the axe kick from Sonic Battle then giving him a Meteor it would be raaaaaape

G

genkaku

As far as spikes go, the devs already said that there hasn't been call for discussion until yesterday. Only now that they can code it is it time for backroom discussion and playtesting. Most speculation on spikes won't be viable until it's spent some time in playtesting anyway, so discussion here won't do anyone much good.
They've got it covered. Like always, haha.

iLink

Smash Champion
Mostly because of this.

How many characters could escape getting nipple spiked by these 2? All you have to do is Dair off the edge and you got a kills. They are bigger bigger hitboxes and such on their moves. think about it though seriously....A would will Falcon can Fthrow Dair kill people....Ugly...Ganon Jab Dair.....lol. I can't think of it. It's just too scary. *covers eyes*

btw did anything exciting happen on the stream? Cuz of my girl I kinda missed everything :(
And falco can't set up for his spike? All falco has to do is dair off the edge and he gets a kill. I thought the point of this project was to bring everyone up to par with the upper tiers. Granted that Falcon doesn't really need it, just throwing it out there that it I highly doubt that they would be OP.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
he never said anything about it being reliable all he said was he had a spike and he did..
your right. completely correct
but i'll break it down for you
spam said giving falcon and ganon true spikes on their dairs would make them OP. I responded by saying the change would definitely make them better. Of course I know about the nipple spike and all it's glory but i didn't count that because it's extremely impractical.
tldr: i know, people just talking about really minor things make be frustrated.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
And falco can't set up for his spike? All falco has to do is dair off the edge and he gets a kill. I thought the point of this project was to bring everyone up to par with the upper tiers. Granted that Falcon doesn't really need it, just throwing it out there that it I highly doubt that they would be OP.
I never said it would be Over Powered at all. Your Forgetting Falcon has already been slightly buffed. His Side-B is useful for recovery and is a meteor attack(Would become a spike also if all moves became spikes) Not to mention his Up-B has been buffed extremely. combine the extra recovery with 2 spikes and someone as skilled as Darkrain, Smoke2Joints, SilentSpectre, Hax, Scar....That is serious changes. It may give Falcon a better chance against Fox/Falco but He'll be better then Marth, Probably sheik, Peach, Better suited to fight puff...closer to even. Everyone else he'll likely beat as far as returning Melee charcters. the Brawl charcters are a toss up as usually because....well they are new.

As for Ganon....I'm not even going there. Ganon is so much greater in potential already with just minor changes. Giving him a spike is almost too much of a buff. Imagine Kage/Linguini...etc. With the tech chasing and side B shenanigans as well as the Sparta Kick!!!!!, His spike wouldn't be too much more of a Buff compared to falcons but still It would be an even bigger addition to an already buffed character so far.

iLink

Smash Champion
This all depends on what happens during the balancing phase right? I mean if they say **** it and give everyone spikes then you wouldn't need it. i SERIOUSlY doubt that though. Some characters would be OP'd. Like Falcon/Ganon and such.
You definitely said OP

just saying

Also this might be a little offtopic but will Link be able upb off the ledge where it wouldn't force an aerial upb?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh, I know what you're talking about.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering the same thing.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
You definitely said OP

just saying

Also this might be a little offtopic but will Link be able upb off the ledge where it wouldn't force an aerial upb?
I guess I did say that. I meant in general though. I used Falcon and Ganon because they came to mind first. They won't exactly be OP'd though just too good...different from OP'd......kinda.

after awhile of being on here I figured out how to use the ignore feature...

goodbye stingers

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
@GrimTuesday: Every little bit of originality from my previous avatar has now been sucked dry, in my sleep even... Good going. >:/

Although, I was missing my awesome custom Shadow avatar.

/digression >:/

@FireBall Stars: I've imagined Sonic's Dair without a stall-then-fall property more or less a Sheik Dair 2.0. If anything should be getting a meteor, it should be his Up-B while close to an airborne opponent. But, with his spring good enough, I wouldn't see why a Dair without STF couldn't become a meteor (or spike in extreme cases). But that ain't up to me, is it?

camelot

Smash Ace
That could most likely be done, yeah.

Here's a bit of info: the reason it isn't really possible in Brawl is because the up-b has 3 parts in Brawl; the startup, the charge, and the attack. If you fall of a ledge during the startup, it forces the aerial up-b. If you fall off during the charge, you go into a regular falling state. If you fall off during the attack, then you fall off while still spinning, but like Melee, the hitboxes change to the aerial ones.

So it'd just be a matter of turning the spin attack into a single action (like Melee's). We removed the ability to charge it, anyway, so I guess there's no real reason not to do this.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
If all meteors were spikes it'd be like 64. =D

AWESOME!

Btw, Wolf is waaay too sexy. ^^

EDIT: So Shiz picks Wolf once and never picks anyone else afterwards... Did he really like Wolf that much? o_o

jalued

Smash Lord
This is just for the general readers, as im sure that the back room already know this

Melee spikes always had some sort of balance attached:

Marth had to tipper, otherwise his dair would send upwards. However it was disjointed :(
Falco's physics and weak vertical recovery meant that he could normally only use rising dair to gimp, limiting its use offstage.
Falcon's nipple spike had a difficult hitbox to hit with and if missed could result in him being gimped
Ganon's aeriel Warlock Kick was very situational and if missed *see above*
Roy's upsmash tipper... isn't it obvious?

Rule: Characters were given a spike if they either had an easily punishable recovery and/or required a specific hitbox. (Marth is really the exception to this rule)

Basically, a spike should be high risk high reward.

Most character's in the game have a good recovery and/or floaty physics so don't merit a spike hitbox
but
characters such as diddy, olimar, ivysaur, mario, yoshi, ness, DK and bowser could all be justified for one as they fit the above rule

camelot

Smash Ace
For Mario, keep in mind that his f-air was fused with Doc's, meaning it's a fantastic diagonal KO move in addition to it being a combo starter/meteor. It also has less ending lag than before (interruptable frame 45 compared to its previous 60). It's gotten a pretty generous amount of buffs already.

Also, don't forget Young Link's fire spike (which was really a meteor). That was added onto Toon Link, and could definitely stand to be a true spike.

jalued

Smash Lord
For Mario, keep in mind that his f-air was fused with Doc's, meaning it's a fantastic diagonal KO move in addition to it being a combo starter/meteor. It also has less ending lag than before (interruptable frame 45 compared to its previous 60). It's gotten a pretty generous amount of buffs already.

Also, don't forget Young Link's fire spike (which was really a meteor). That was added onto Toon Link, and could definitely stand to be a true spike.
For mario: completely true

Toon link isn't Young Link though: YL can't really combo into his dair spike hitbox so satisfies my spike rule (high risk high reward). I always felt in melee he should have had a spike rather than a meteor.

however TL can bair-dair combo pretty effectively so he should only have a strong meteor (as there is still the risk of death if he misses)

camelot

Smash Ace
Toon link isn't Young Link though: YL can't really combo into his dair spike hitbox so satisfies my spike rule (high risk high reward). I always felt in melee he should have had a spike rather than a meteor.

however TL can bair-dair combo pretty effectively so he should only have a strong meteor (as there is still the risk of death if he misses)
Maybe you didn't understand what I meant.

We gave the fire spike to Toon Link, so it's the same as Young Link's. It's a bit bigger and higher up compared to Young Link's, but it's still hard to land. If he actually manages to hit with it offstage, it should KO, unless the opponent is at a super low %.

(In case you're wondering: the goal with Toon Link right now is basically a Toon/YL hybrid. We're mixing most of the good aspects of Toon Link and Young Link together, plus adding some other buffs and stuff, kind of like what we did with the Mario/Doc mix. He's turning out to be a pretty solid character.)

jalued

Smash Lord
Maybe you didn't understand what I meant.

We gave the fire spike to Toon Link, so it's the same as Young Link's. It's a bit bigger and higher up compared to Young Link's, but it's still hard to land. If he actually manages to hit with it offstage, it should KO, unless the opponent is at a super low %.

(In case you're wondering: the goal with Toon Link right now is basically a Toon/YL hybrid. We're mixing most of the good aspects of Toon Link and Young Link together, plus adding some other buffs and stuff, kind of like what we did with the Mario/Doc mix. He's turning out to be a pretty solid character.)
Oh ok i was assuming that the dair still had the brawl properties.

That sounds like a great idea, and I think that a dair spike would be appropriate for TL

D

Deleted member

This discussion sucks.

Just let the P:M BR decide. They know what they're doing. They have objective views and smart, experienced playtesters. Not some 2 bit chumps who speculate about a hack of a game they've never even played.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Not really, SMac rage quit though :p

@GrimTuesday: Every little bit of originality from my previous avatar has now been sucked dry, in my sleep even... Good going. >:/

Although, I was missing my awesome custom Shadow avatar.
My avatar is better than your old one though ;P

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Rule: Characters were given a spike if they either had an easily punishable recovery and/or required a specific hitbox. (Marth is really the exception to this rule)
Actually, Marth is in a similar boat as Falco, if he doesn't use his dair when really high up or while rising/during jump the endlag will kill him. (Offstage, that is)

Also,I feel that spikes should be attacks that are angled. (For instance, Ganon and Falco's spikes are used diagonally, Marth is brushing his sword not stabbing, nipple spike is located on the side of Falcon... not beneath him)

So imo, chars that look like they could have spikes are:

Luigi (replaces metoer hitbox with a spiking on on dair) He isn't as vulnerable as Falco, but he still has a bad recovery and his spike is harder to land.

Samus (Makes a sweeping like motion like Marth with dair) While I think she looks like she could have a spike, she probably shouldn't. I think her recovery may be too good.

Wolf and Diddy (Dairs; legs only) They both have bad recoveries and high startup meteors, I think that giving them a spiking hitbox on their legs will be useful for edgeguarding.

Yoshi (Flutter kick makes sweeping motion) The metoer should be replaced with a spike. It still shouldn't be powerful because of the hitbox duration, but even a weak spike will make it a powerful gimp tool. (especially since yoshi needs really strong edgeguarding due to his lack of a third jump)

Ivysaur? (Maybe if the animation was made tilted on an angle) I think this would be a nice buff for Ivysaur. However, she doesn't look like she could spike so maybe the dair animation would have to be tilted.

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
Well spike speculation aside I'm excited for Bowser
Some of the things I read on yesterday's stream look promising :D

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
He has a new side-b. The forward throw version is a headbutt that sets up and the back throw has beastly kill potential I believe. He also has 7% armor on some of his moves. I forgot which exactly though. And apparently he's gonna be one of the best edge-guarders in the game :D

jalued

Smash Lord
He has a new side-b. The forward throw version is a headbutt that sets up and the back throw has beastly kill potential I believe. He also has 7% armor on some of his moves. I forgot which exactly though.
so he is getting his melee sideB :p i hope that the grab hitbox for it is bigger than melee, it doesnt halt his momentum and actually has a use in the air (apart from unescapable suicide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom