• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulevo

Smash Master
In all reality, I doubt you'll even notice it lol.
When you've become accustomed to the way the demo functions, and you only tap L/R, not press it down all the way, I don't see how you wouldn't notice.

I don't think that anyone would have cared about light-press air dodges if they weren't in the demo to begin with.

In reality, removing them was a bug fix, not a new feature. They were originally intended to be full-press only.
What is the point in mentioning the fact that if it weren't featured in the demo, no one would have bothered to care? That isn't really the issue.

That's like saying that if Sakurai never bothered to implement the Melee air dodge, and just went straight to the Brawl air dodge when he created Melee, no one would have even cared about wavedashing.

I don't see anyone making this argument though; for obvious reasons.

It also isn't a bug fix. Bugs are unintended, I'm sure this was quite an intentional mechanic on the PMBR's part. Whether or not its a fix is left up to interpretation as to why they decided to change it.

GPDP

Smash Ace
At this point, I could care less if they fix light shields, ledge occupancy, or whatever. I just want my wall tethers, tether range, and ability to jump out of tether back.

Fix that, and Project M is pretty much finished to me. Well, mechanics-wise at least.

I say, take your time and hold off on releasing the patch until you figure this one out IMO.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
It also isn't a bug fix. Bugs are unintended, I'm sure this was quite an intentional mechanic on the PMBR's part. Whether or not its a fix is left up to interpretation as to why they decided to change it.
Consider this: Their objective is to make P:M as closer to Melee as possible. Following that direction, this change is a fix, because it is now much more like Melee than before.

You can argue about it being a good fix, or a bad fix, but it is a fix toward their goal.

Light-Press to Air-Dodge might be good for some, and bad for others. Ultimatelly, it is their decision on which to keep, and since being closer to Melee is the main goal, I can't agree more with their decision now.

Ulevo

Smash Master
That seems to be a rather vague interpretation of "fix" as far as the project is concerned.

Implementing mechanics so they work as intended when they otherwise didn't is more of a concise definition of interpreting "fix". And as far as I am aware at least, I have no idea if the light press was intended or not. But I can't see how it wasn't.

Either way, we're arguing semantics here. I know why they changed it. Implementation of Melee mechanics is important.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Either way, we're arguing semantics here. I know why they changed it. Implementation of Melee mechanics is important.
So, your point is that not having the Light-Press Air-Dodge is worse for the game.

I can't really coment on the issue. Comming from Melee, this change is a blessing for me, as it srewed all my Wavedash and Dodge timings.

shanus

Smash Hero
When you've become accustomed to the way the demo functions, and you only tap L/R, not press it down all the way, I don't see how you wouldn't notice.
It was a bit of an exaggeration to say you wouldn't notice, but when I booted up and played it I had adjusted in a matter of minutes. Thats why I'm saying you basically wouldn't even notice. It's extremely subtle.

Magus420

Smash Master
As an example, when they were all one input trying to l-cancel during the IASA window would have you airdodge instead. Trying to input an l-cancel with shield was actually impossible during that time. It was most noticeable on MK's u-air and was really annoying. Was also pretty bad on G&W's u-air.

Separating airdodge from light press shield also allows people to wavedash OoS without needing to release both buttons completely before trying to input the airdodge. You can now: less than full click with one button to shield then click the same button down for AD, less than full click one to shield and click the other to AD. Can't full click one and click the other just yet, but that's a separate issue that needs to be coded.

Vigilante

Smash Lord

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Implementing mechanics so they work as intended when they otherwise didn't is more of a concise definition of interpreting "fix". And as far as I am aware at least, I have no idea if the light press was intended or not. But I can't see how it wasn't.
Light-press airddodges was a consequence of implementing light-pressing for shielding. It wasn't optimal, but we decided it was better than the alternatives that were available at the time. This new code fixes the mechanic completely to fit our original intent.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I read "recapture the hardcore market".

I'm highly skeptical. But if Ninty manages it...

I'm really hoping for a fourth Yoshi's game. With an actual soundtrack this time, instead of the abomination that was the DS one.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed that F-Zero was completely absent for an entire console generation.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, if the good reports of Super Street Fighter IV's online on the 3DS means anything, there just might be a possibility that the online will be less stupid for whatever next gen console Nintendo announces.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Nintendo will come back to us, they will. With classic controls! Star Fox that doesn't suck! Zelda with no gimmicks! An actual good Smash bros game!! It will be goooooood! Heh heh... Bwahahahaha!!!

*Gets handcuffed by mental hospital personnel and dragged away*

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
All they need to do is respect us and give us a new StarFox and F-zero with good online play and I'll be happy.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Same.

I learned my lesson though. Never buy a Nintendo game on release anymore. I'm not getting screwed over like Brawl did.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Oh man, F-Zero with kick-*** graphics in glorious 1080p... Excuse me, I need a change of pants.

I wish they stick with the gcn controller and just rename it. But if next console doesn't have an sd card slot, then we can't play pm in it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Oh man, F-Zero with kick-*** graphics in glorious 1080p... Excuse me, I need a change of pants.

I wish they stick with the gcn controller and just rename it. But if next console doesn't have an sd card slot, then we can't play pm in it.
Again, rumours, but that's my last post about it. That's something that seems to belong to the lighthouse forum.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I would like a gamecube controller slot, but... as long as they dont have any rediculous gimicky new controller I'll be happy. I want a regular gamecube like controller (I dont like classic controller either)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Are you guys going to discuss Project M any time soon or do I have to bug Bionic to tell you guys to?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
i never got an answer way back, but will Falcons up B lose that sliding momentum on its startup?
Its way harder to sweetspot an edge with him when it is like that. In melee he came to a complete stop on his up B in the start-up

Also to ECks from way back, ya it would be the same with the z-button only for peach Rob and Diddy, link and y/tlink would perform a zair, instead of catching the item.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
My God, that Dair. And I'm pretty sure I saw him grab at a respectable distance somewhere in there. And like the one comment in the video, holy crap that Charge Shot was really low.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Also to ECks from way back, ya it would be the same with the z-button only for peach Rob and Diddy, link and y/tlink would perform a zair, instead of catching the item.
Well I hope they can figure something out with item grabbing. And I didn't know those characters couldn't grab items with z.

Edit: nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom