• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Bah, it's their decision, and we'll leave it at that. Worst case scenario, we can go into the chat and ask nicely, and I'm sure they'll help. I do get the point of the negative stigma that could be attached to hack options.

shanus

Smash Hero
I said knowledgeable, not an expert. I am not saying you should support any method that is not hackless for obvious reasons. I think it is a good move on your part to decide that.

I will however dispute the precise nature of the hackless implementation, as I have written above. Would you agree that line of discussion is free from legal ramifications?
As I said, I am not an expert in copyright law, and as such, have no validated opinion on the matter. Therefore, I have no opinion on the subject as in truth, it would be entirely uninformed. Our opinions would be just, that, opinions, which sadly don't hold weight in a court of law.

On another subject: PR. As someone who has been managing a lot of our PR (via wired, etc) on several major gaming sites, I think your opinions on the matter are generally overstated. Given the wide press, absurd number of downloads, and general hype from a limited roster demo, I think we are doing extremely well. I appreciate your concern in the matter, but I think this is not a topic we need to dwell on in this thread (there is another thread on PM on other sites where this could be more appropriate, or even taken to PMs with a member of the PMBR such as myself). We have a few announcements coming up which will further stimulate the community even more, so we have plenty of plans up our sleeves, as well.

How about I re-align everyone to an on-topic discussion:

Our next blog post was spoiled by Shadic and DS, but it will cover the topics of light presses, and a surprise. Guess away!

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
As I said, I am not an expert in copyright law, and as such, have no validated opinion on the matter. Therefore, I have no opinion on the subject as in truth, it would be entirely uninformed. Our opinions would be just, that, opinions, which sadly don't hold weight in a court of law.
Understood, sir. I will do nothing to contradict you on the use of a hackless method. My only real question is, would Riivolution be an okay alternative, if used by a hackless method, as is now possible with the latest version of Riivolution?

Our next blog post was spoiled by Shadic and DS, but it will cover the topics of light presses, and a surprise. Guess away!
It's light shielding. Can someone remind me what tactical benefits there are to light shielding, and techniques other than the marth killer edgeguard?

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
It's not light shielding.
Then I am genuinely curious as to what it is. That and glad, because I don't think light shielding would have added much to the game apart from maybe 1 advanced technique.

Also, can you please answer my other, non-legally related question?

shanus

Smash Hero
If there is a riivo option which can be booted via hackless methods in brawl, I don't see any harm in using it.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
If there is a riivo option which can be booted via hackless methods in brawl, I don't see any harm in using it.
Thank you very much for replying. The latest build of Riivo is an elf, meaning it can be booted via hackless methods in brawl. Do you think support could be added for that as long as it is hackless? Hell, even go so far as to ask the creator to make a version of Riivo specifically for Project M without the install button to prevent confusion. You guys are pretty buddy-buddy with him. It could work.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Meh, I also suggested calling it Supah Smash Hommies: Respect. And replace all songs with rap and put some "bling-bling" on all characters but they didn't get back to me on that.

Jokes aside, I don't think we can expect tethers soon. And it's not light-shielding. I'm thinking perhaps ledge occupancy or Wavedash out of shield.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Nah.

I know exactly what it is.

Manchu confirmed.
Dude, old news, he's been in the mission statement since the project started!

What is the goal of Project M?
Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:
1) A fast-paced game
2) with flowing, organic movement
3) where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
4) The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
5) Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding due to ledge techs.
6) Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
7) The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.
8) Hideous abominations against science in the form of Manchu.

In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes, giant hideous yellow creatures.

Ecks

Smash Lord
What could possibly top Landing Detection?

I can just see it now. "PMBR turns Brawl into MUGEN with the 100% functional clone engine".

*meanwhile at Sora*
Sakurai: SHAAANUUUUUUS!!!

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel as if you guys have found the perfect meatballs for a spaghetti and meatball dinner but refuse to prepare and serve it to your starving guests because you can't find the brand of napkins that everyone likes.

This next blogpost better be freaking huge. >_>

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
But there are barely any good, well thought out character projects so there really should--- wait. It is exactly like MUGEN.

My worst nightmare comes true.

Slashy

Smash Lord
But there's only 14 extra characters with announcer calls, so only 14 that can really fit in perfectly.

Is it possible through hacking to bring back unique target tests?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
We are focusing on getting the gameplay perfect first and foremost, not tossing in as many broken-*** characters as possible. So I think that pretty much makes us the exact opposite of MUGEN.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Honestly, I feel as if you guys have found the perfect meatballs for a spaghetti and meatball dinner but refuse to prepare and serve it to your starving guests because you can't find the brand of napkins that everyone likes.

This next blogpost better be freaking huge. >_>
"I HOPE THEY MADE LOTS-A SPAGHETTI"

>.< That annoying phrase just struck me.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
To be honest, not counting Project M, I haven't seen a balanced PSA. Ever. Even if a clone engine were made, I highly doubt that we'll ge tmuch quality content for it. I guess you could use it for extra costumes?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
To be honest, not counting Project M, I haven't seen a balanced PSA. Ever. Even if a clone engine were made, I highly doubt that we'll ge tmuch quality content for it. I guess you could use it for extra costumes?
Zero and Roy are actually quite balanced though, Vig. But yes, most PSAs are not balanced.

Pen_island

Smash Cadet
Im gonna guess distinguishable light and hard trigger presses. As for the surprise...Id rather not guess and keep it a surprise. Are these blog posts gonna be completely spontanious or could you guys make them a weekly thing or something?

V-K

Smash Ace
I think the question everyone is asking themselves is when will Marth finally get a rocket launcher.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Im gonna guess distinguishable light and hard trigger presses. As for the surprise...Id rather not guess and keep it a surprise. Are these blog posts gonna be completely spontanious or could you guys make them a weekly thing or something?
They will remain spontaneous. We can't just pick and choose when these finds come up. :laugh:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You haven't been looking hard enough.

I know that PSA characters like Cloud, GF, Mega Man, Lyn, Zero, and Sephiroth will never get in officially in PM. I've accepted that.

All I request is that when the main game is said and done(and that engine too), that the PMBR please assist the creators in making PM versions of these PSAs, as these are the main ones that ATTEMPT to be balanced within the roster.

Edit: And now I'm making spelling typos.

:(

Anyway, I await the next PM blogpost.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Well I don't know if they'll be able to assist but they should make some a tutorial or some kind of template so people won't have a hard time with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom