• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
Why are people still talking about this? Marth's grab range is not getting nerfed. Stop wasting your time.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
It still goes a bit farther than his hand. Where's the hitbox?
He does grab a bit beneath his hand, but his hand touches the edge of the bubble on the first frame it comes out.
I'll try to find a gif.

Why are people still talking about this? Marth's grab range is not getting nerfed. Stop wasting your time.
We weren't talking about it being nerfed, or even changed, I was just saying Marth leans forward when he grabs.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I seen it, you're right. i was thinking about that gif where the other person stretches their hurtbox and makes it look like marth's grabbing form half the stage away.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I seen it, you're right. i was thinking about that gif where the other person stretches their hurtbox and makes it look like marth's grabbing form half the stage away.
The one where the other Marth d-tilts? It looks ridiculous, especially if not slowed down.
And I still can't find that hitbox thread I saw a few months ago, they had a lot of the characters done, anybody knows where it went/what's it called so I can search for it?

leelue

Smash Lord
@rock
because it doesn't make sense (even though apparently it might to a degree). I like talking about anomalies, and being dismissive in a non-constructive way is not the best way to end a conversation you deem a waste of time.
If not talking about unchangeable things were to be the norm, philosophers would be out of a job (if it even is one). The way I see it, the conversation was no less innocent than noticing the coincidence that the moon just about perfectly eclipses the sun. It's just that in this case, I can openly speculate about things and build credibility by having well thought out points and not just make observations about nature.
I probably won't get his grab range adjusted. Not all winning battles need to be actually won to have an impact. By being recognized as an intelligent person who has opinions that may be worth looking at I may be able to have my voice heard a little more clearly than some of us in the general population when issues that Can be changed are brought to the forefront.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The one where the other Marth d-tilts? It looks ridiculous, especially if not slowed down.
And I still can't find that hitbox thread I saw a few months ago, they had a lot of the characters done, anybody knows where it went/what's it called so I can search for it?
yeah that one.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It's because he's MARTH. I'm sure it makes up for something... maybe to boost the gap in case if he can't space...?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
WOW, people are complaining about Marth's grab range?

If one of Marth's throws had kill power, these complaints might actually be noteworthy. All of Marth's throws can be nullified by either teching or good DI. His Uthrow chaingrab on the spacies is the only exception where DI can actually help the process.

In retrospect, the 3 best things about Marth's grab range/throws is 1. Its perfect for shield grabbing. 2. It has favorable angles for throwing opponents offstage. And 3. It ***** spacies.

Now think about this, Marth is the only character who can have this grab range and get away with it. You'd be lying to yourself if you disagree; from a balance standpoint, any other character would be broken if they had his grab box since most characters can capitalize off their throws better than Marth. (Falco and Kirby are the only exceptions that I can think of)

TBH I think Marth's grab range is a result of completely logical balance. Marth has the weakest throws in terms of KB and damage so he got a long grab range to compensate.

TL;DR Think rationally.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
You best be trollin', MarF.

Because yeah, the throw is the only important part of the grab. Not the whole breaking momentum/halting pressure from your opponent. That doesn't factor in at all.

EDIT: But that's a debate for a different thread, methinks. This has little/nothing to do with the Project M, since they're pretty resolute in keeping top-tiers as similar as possible.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
you guys should stop talking about marth's grab range like it'll be changed

if anything it's only gonna get buffed once we get reverse grabs working

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
(This is an approximation of his furthest grabbox)

Why the grab looks extremely stupid as far as range. It's because of how far forward he extends.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
We got off topic.
The point was to request a slight increase in Snake's grab range cause Snake is a CQC master, not to nerf Marth's grab range.

Also Dthrow to C4 isn't viable against those with good timing.

Ecks

Smash Lord
pft, just give marth's grab range to ness and sheik.

speaking of, whats been happening with ness? I'm expecting a mix of melee and b+ ness for some reason.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
People who want animations to match hitboxes near 1:1 while still shooting for balance and think it's reasonable are delusional anyway. Plus when you take into account the fact that some moves can extend a character's vulnerable hitbox during parts of their animations, weird-looking things are just bound to happen when it comes to apparent range. Goes for any fighting game really.

Hell, like that one time I was playing Fei Long against Rufus in SFIV and I tried to psychic Ultra 1 his crouching fierce at max range. The first hit connected but not the rest. Sure I went "FUUUUU" at the time, but that's just how it is, and from then on I knew better than to try stuff like that.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I know most of the developers say that no updates will likely be made after the demo patch, but what if a breakthrough is made? what if landing detection or tether grabs are fixed? will a patch be made to give those to the public?

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
@kink-link5 i can't think of any reason why the developers would not. i'm pretty sure a lot of people skip over project m because of these little problems like landing detection

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yeah. It hinders the whole roster in many different ways.

For example, FF teching works on the mines currently only because LD allows them to land before the hitbox comes out.

Also, Link's nair.

D

Deleted member

People are making such outrageous claims without even playing Melee extensively.

Marth's grab is busted, Jiggs is too broken and easy to play, Landing detection is a minuscule problem...

Play Melee and stop being wrong.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
it doesn't matter if landing detection is a little or big problem, i just want to know if a patch will be made following a big breakthrough. I understand that it is hindering a lot of characters gameplay, though personally, i don't notice it toooooo much, unless i'm playing ganon and I can't hit a damn thing with shffl back airs and up airs

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
People are making such outrageous claims without even playing Melee extensively.

Marth's grab is busted, Jiggs is too broken and easy to play, Landing detection is a minuscule problem...

Play Melee and stop being wrong.
I do, but I thought people stopped complaining about Jiggs months ago.
I just have no one to play with....

kaizo13

Smash Champion
*returns from lurking

the patch/update sounds to be more of a Demo v2.0 than a 1.1 (which is awesome)....it feels that u guys find it hard to hand something over to the public and say "here, enjoy this".....with all the breakthroughs and polishing that happens on a daily.

the Demo, to me, felt rushed......but i know it was all because of the "due date" and the public's uncontrollable hype. personally i think that all the polishing/melee data porting should have been done with before any public release but i'm aware that that kind of work is simply time based and very time consuming. in other words........just take your time

But, it seems this upcoming update addresses alot of the concerns people had/have with the demo so, props on that. really looking forward to it

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Anyone care to elaborate on what they saw of the Pit build in the stream? I missed it. :c
Considering the fact that a Pit revamp isn't even in the alpha stage, I wouldn't get too hyped about anything that has been done to him yet. It's all extremely tentative.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Considering the fact that a Pit revamp isn't even in the alpha stage, I wouldn't get too hyped about anything that has been done to him yet. It's all extremely tentative.
Aside from the new Side-B nothing else has changed really right? idk...missed the stream and it wasn't save i don't think.......

Anyways I noticed that Brawl and Melee have Character specific threads....is it possible for Project M to get the same thing? Or at least get P:M threads of each character stickied for individual discussion? I think it would make things a bit easier personally.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
so basically what you're saying is there's still a chance he'll be replaced by Roy? that's awesome. :awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:
Directly taken from the second post:
Is Mewtwo gonna be in this?
The Project M Back Room has taken the stance that no Melee characters will return unless they can be seamlessly added without replacing any character as well as have their own Character Select icon. Dantarion has been recently putting in a lot of effort into a "Clone Engine," however...
Stop asking for Pit to be replaced by Roy, it's NOT gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom