• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
I think snakes grab range is fine, increasing it would increase the gayness of camp, grab, fthrow/bthrow onto mine. Or the gayness of dthrow to c4.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I thought Dthrow to C4 doesn't work on great opponents and CPUs...

Landing detection sorta does a number on the mines as of now.
Fastfall teching + Brawl LD = no damage.
But whatever. I can live with the range as it is now.

Thanks for listening and doing this project.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I thought Dthrow to C4 doesn't work on great opponents and CPUs...

Landing detection sorta does a number on the mines as of now.
Fastfall teching + Brawl LD = no damage.
But whatever. I can live with the range as it is now.

Thanks for listening and doing this project.
You know I noticed Ganondorf also has stupidly small grab range considering how big he is >_>

leelue

Smash Lord
It really is a minor tragedy that the team has to do certain things to keep the purist happy. I'll avoid bringing up the major thing that would inevitably lead to a big debate, but there are other things that are truly mistakes in melee. Marthas grab range comes to mind.

Speaking of ganon and his grab range, it appears that it is a tad too high up off the floor. I tried to shield grab a Sheik after her fair, but it appears that her landing animation put her under my grab. Someone check to be sure.

I agree with the snake grab range increase as well, if only because it really does make sense.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It really is a minor tragedy that the team has to do certain things to keep the purist happy. I'll avoid bringing up the major thing that would inevitably lead to a big debate, but there are other things that are truly mistakes in melee. Marthas grab range comes to mind.
Fine. change marth's grabe range, Sheik's downthrow, fox's shine, Falco's dair, etc and watch no one that plays melee play Project Melee.

I think everyone can agree that nerfs SUCK. Why make that better character's worse when you can just buff the bad ones? BTW this debate has happend numerous amounts of times so the arguement is pointless anyways because I already know for a fact they're keeping Marth. Falco, Fox, and Sheik 99% the way they were in melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Fine. change marth's grabe range, Sheik's downthrow, fox's shine, Falco's dair, etc and watch no one that plays melee play Project Melee.

I think everyone can agree that nerfs SUCK. Why make that better character's worse when you can just buff the bad ones? BTW this debate has happend numerous amounts of times so the arguement is pointless anyways because I already know for a fact they're keeping Marth. Falco, Fox, and Sheik 99% the way they were in melee.
You do know that everyone in Europe prefers PAL, and that the only reason they play NTSC is because they have to when they come to US for huge tourneys, right? PAL is the better version, after all.

Regardless, we've stated several times that the top tier characters are staying the same and that our main mode of operation for balance will be buffing.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You do know that everyone in Europe prefers PAL, and that the only reason they play NTSC is because they have to when they come to US for huge tourneys, right? PAL is the better version, after all.
I hate PAL. I know you seen me post that in that other thread. And it's not like you don't know most people in the US prefers NTSC. I think people just like what they know.

Regardless, we've stated several times that the top tier characters are staying the same and that our main mode of operation for balance will be buffing.
And I actually stated that in my post.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I didn't say you didn't.
My bad, I thought it was appointed towards me.

I actually support tweaking Sheik's dthrow a bit for the sake of half the characters in the game, but that's about all I'd change.
Yeah, it's like she CGed all of the bad characters. I It's not like she's bad in PAL either. That is the one thing I hate about melee.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
go to options, turn handicap on. The % is related to the frames of buffer. Buffer is the amount of frames that passes between your button press and the start of the action.

Percent = Buffer
10% = 1 frame buffer
20% = 2 frame buffer
30% = 3 frame buffer
40% = 4 frame buffer
50% = 5 frame buffer
60% = 6 frame buffer
70% = 7 frame buffer
80% = 8 frame buffer
90% = 9 frame buffer
100% = 10 frame buffer (this is what regular brawl uses BTW)
110% and up = 10 frame buffer

Buffer is set to 0 automatically unless you change it in the options -> handicap.
Ok, thanks for this. Do you know how much buffer Melee has? I can't seem to remember.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
people really need to stop *****ing about how this is not 100% like melee, i mean really how about u people put in brawl look at that game at how the physics, and gameplay in that game then look at what they did for project m. these people working on the project are trying there hardest to make the game as melee like as they can while trying to balance it as well. these people have taken countless hours and days of there lives to try to make something new for melee fans and instead a lot of people come here and complain, stop being so selfish. and so what if its not 100% like melee or things feel a little off its only a demo its not done yet, so ether sit back and enjoy what these people are working hard on, or wait till the game is complete before complaining about the game.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
if snake's grab range should be increased because he's a combat expert, dk's should be increased because he's a giant gorilla; it also feels right because dk's grabs (forward throw) are in my opinion the coolest part about the character.

also, has sheik/zelda's transformation time been "fixed" in the patch? it looked like 3x faster.
it's right here at 0:22

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCaesar007#p/u/10/uM2gTl30hKY

leelue

Smash Lord
@ Brock avatar
I never said that the best moves in the game were "broken/mistakes take them out" or whatever was your implication. I said that there are some things that were mistakes. To be excruciatingly clear, I mean that some things make no sense and the comment was not referring to things that are too strong.
Why does bowser have one of the worst grab ranges in the melee? Last I checked his arms are longer than most. I also believe that m2k said in his massive compendium of knowledge that pichu has a bigger grab range than his counterpart. This clearly makes no sense. These are blunders. Mild, yes, but blunders nonetheless.

I aknow that the team is adamant about not adjusting the top 5 unless completely necessary/unavoidable. I am well informed about the project to an extent that is borderline obscene. It can be excused for someone to assume otherwise as there are a lot of ill-informed or merely moderately informed people around.

I know that the team is using the top 5 as a reference. I also know that while they may want to adjust certain things, they cannot because of a large subset of people who will dismiss the project because it isn't strictly "melee but with 35+ awesome characters". That there is the tragedy; the team is bound by certain constraints that would keep them from making a product that would be completely perfect had melee never existed*. They have to try their best to work around these constraints, and not only they have worked many miracles in the last year and change but they have surpassed all expectations and made an experience that transcends the limitations that they were forced to work with. I love project m. I really do. It is the most fun I've had playing a game in years, and I hope to play it for years to come. The only point I was making is that it is unfortunate that the team is not able to do everything they can, only what they are allowed to by the public (which as I have seen is a hell of a lot).
I am not trying to argue. Just beating the horse to death, I suppose.

Also, I want to apologize to Grim Tuesday. Got on his case a while back about what looked like an argumentative streak. Now I see his/her reasoning. It's really hard not to debate when you feel strongly about things.

*in before "hurr if melee never existed then neither would this".
Obvious statement is obvious.
Hopefully my point was made without the potential for any misinterpretation.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Nobody should have grab range as big as Marth's.

And that includes Marth.

Well, you could make an argument for Sonic, but that's about it.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
@ Brock avatar
Etwist, Twist, Eric, Etwists, Twists, ET are all fine.
I never said that the best moves in the game were "broken/mistakes take them out" or whatever was your implication. I said that there are some things that were mistakes. To be excruciatingly clear, I mean that some things make no sense and the comment was not referring to things that are too strong.
KK
Why does bowser have one of the worst grab ranges in the melee? Last I checked his arms are longer than most. I also believe that m2k said in his massive compendium of knowledge that pichu has a bigger grab range than his counterpart. This clearly makes no sense. These are blunders. Mild, yes, but blunders nonetheless.
Those are stupid and should be changed.

I know that the team is using the top 5 as a reference. I also know that while they may want to adjust certain things, they cannot because of a large subset of people who will dismiss the project because it isn't strictly "melee but with 35+ awesome characters". That there is the tragedy; the team is bound by certain constraints that would keep them from making a product that would be completely perfect had melee never existed*. They have to try their best to work around these constraints, and not only they have worked many miracles in the last year and change but they have surpassed all expectations and made an experience that transcends the limitations that they were forced to work with. I love project m. I really do. It is the most fun I've had playing a game in years, and I hope to play it for years to come. The only point I was making is that it is unfortunate that the team is not able to do everything they can, only what they are allowed to by the public (which as I have seen is a hell of a lot).
Just to make it clear, I am not one of those people. I will most likely play this no matter what. but there are a **** load of players who do not give a damn how hard they work, they want Melee with more characters and stages, and they won't play it otherwise. But then again, the people who took on the challenge of making this project most likely knew this would happen so they should already be prepared for that.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i'm way too hyped for pit. was super excited about him being in brawl, then got sad because any sort of aerial spacing game he could've had was ruined by no l cancelling. can't wait to play him in the p:m engine!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't see how Melee would harm the project considering Melee is the reason this project exists. (I'm saying this on purpose)

The Top 5 are fine as they are, and the buffs for others are fine too. Many things are different from Melee (e.g. Ledge occupancy) and I'm fine with it.

Keeping them as they are and using them as a base will allow them to make a truly balanced experience. Heck, nerfing is the worse thing you can do in a fighting game unless the characters are "broken". The problem with nerfing is that often, they intend on making the character middle-like, but by removing a little element of their gameplay, they become low. For example, Fox and Falco without their reflector comboes would pretty much suck. You can't nerf these and expect them to be tourney-friendly.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Keeping them as they are and using them as a base will allow them to make a truly balanced experience. Heck, nerfing is the worse thing you can do in a fighting game unless the characters are "broken". The problem with nerfing is that often, they intend on making the character middle-like, but by removing a little element of their gameplay, they become low. For example, Fox and Falco without their reflector comboes would pretty much suck. You can't nerf these and expect them to be tourney-friendly.
I doubt they would suck, they wouldn't be as good, but they would still be able to **** pretty hard.

leelue

Smash Lord
@ twist
sorry twice.
I had seen your name as a bunch of random characters. I somehow didn't see anything that made sense.
Also
I thought I read you type (well "heard you say" doesn't fit. I'm just transposing verbs lol) something that would evoke my reaction. No hard feelings, it was only a matter of time before I said all that anyway.

@ hotdogturtle
I assume your name is related to your avatar? They match quite well.
Also, in case I didn't say so before, I agree about Marthas grab range (i have a severe memory problem, so if I'm repeating myself, sorry). Not only because it doesn't make sense, but because it makes him very effective at more ranges than such a good character should be allowed to effective from.
I know there is next to no chance it will change. I know that if and when it doesn't, ill be a little mad. I also know that I'll just play Sheik and **** that tiara wearing fruitbasket from here to Ireland and back, so it really is making a big deal out of a minor complaint.

@ master
That's the second time that I have been commended in public. The first was by someone named locke3 I believe. Thanks, really, it is nice to see support like that. I feel like I can say what I want quite boldly on here and not only be taken seriously, but not be afraid to look like some raving madman from long island.

edit
@vigilante
As far as I know, nobody was talking about serious nerfs. I think waveshining characters across the board is completely stupid and being pillar'd makes me want to punch little girls, but I think we were talking about topical absurd things only. I think. Things that can be directly measured like grab ranges and damage outputs. I'm vocal about a lot of things, these being one of them.
For example
I think short hop lasering is 100% outrageous and it is the #1 reason why I don't mind landing detection being fixed (lets things like sonics spindash get through often). This is not a measurable thing, from a basic standpoint, and I cannot come close to saying that it should be removed.
However, in the project, falcos laser does 3 damage. Because of move depreciation falcos laser did 2 damage a hell of a lot more than it did 3. This is measurable. Falcos laser is probably the move that gets used the most in any given match. Also measurable. This falls into that category of things I can say are visibly silly, and I have been vocal about my belief that his laser should have a damage output of 2 and not 3 in project m since we do not have move depreciation (which is acceptable, considering the circumstances)

NeoZ

Smash Ace
@ hotdogturtle
I assume your name is related to your avatar? They match quite well.
Also, in case I didn't say so before, I agree about Marthas grab range (i have a severe memory problem, so if I'm repeating myself, sorry). Not only because it doesn't make sense, but because it makes him very effective at more ranges than such a good character should be allowed to effective from.
I know there is next to no chance it will change. I know that if and when it doesn't, ill be a little mad. I also know that I'll just play Sheik and **** that tiara wearing fruitbasket from here to Ireland and back, so it really is making a big deal out of a minor complaint.
Marth's grab range does make sense if you look at the animation, he's leaning forward, just like he does for other attacks.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Yeah, but his range goes beyond where his arm/hand goes. At least, it seems like it most of the time...

Could someone do that hitbox thing to either prove me right or wrong?

leelue

Smash Lord
@ neo
Never noticed the lean. I don't play as Martha, I only complain about him. It is well known that his range is quote unquote legendary (read: bonkers), but at least there is something resembling a reason behind it.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Yeah, but his range goes beyond where his arm/hand goes. At least, it seems like it most of the time...

Could someone do that hitbox thing to either prove me right or wrong?
It's probably because as soon as he grabs someone he instantly returns to his standing position, making it seem like he grabbed someone from out of his reach.
I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It's probably because as soon as he grabs someone he instantly returns to his standing position, making it seem like he grabbed someone from out of his reach.
I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.
Nope, marth's grab hitbox definitly goes farther than his hand. I'm 100% sure about this.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Nope, marth's grab hitbox definitly goes farther than his hand. I'm 100% sure about this.
I just saw the hitboxes and the grab box goes as far as his hand but stays for a bit(1 frame) after he starts moving his arm back.
So that 100%, well it was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom