• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Sorry to kick a dead horse but a question about Link.

I'm having some major match up issues against Fox, Falco and Marth. Any fellow P:M Link users (or players) have any tips or strategies against these characters?

Thanks. :)

badwin

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying Project M. I've been following it since its initial announcement. The demo is fantastic and cannot wait to see the final product! There's not much I can really say that has already been said by now, so I'll just ask a quick question or two.

I know bf has been modified to fit melee's stage size and that it takes more than just placing a stage file in the folder to get textures with Project M's bf stage. My question is have any of the brawl stages (yoshi's island, smashville, etc) been altered at all? Will I be able to just throw my stage texture files and have it be relatively seamless? Or have some of these stages also been altered in their boundaries, size, etc.?

Mario had a cool wavedash in melee because he always made his cool jump noise whenever he jumped. In Project M, he'll still do his 'hoo', but it's pretty late in the jump in comparison to melee, so you never really get a chance to hear it anymore. Any plan to adjust the noise so it comes out a hell of a lot sooner (I assume it's the frame he is considered to be jumping in melee)? This is obviously something that is bottom of the barrel when it comes to changing up Project M, since it's a mere cosmetic change. :)

Stevo

Smash Champion
Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the advice. How about that dsmash?
it is punishable and should only be used when they are in close aggressive or after crouch cancelling.

since you mentioned fox/falco/marth
my guess was you were having trouble with them running around (and lasering) until they see an opportunity and grab/attack you.

so that is why I said to throw out some of those quick sword swings to try and catch them.

However, if you are having trouble with fox and falco shield pressure, you could opt to crouch the hit instead and d-smash. Not sure how well crouch cancelling works yet in P:M though, so it might not be as effective.

Zef

Smash Ace
monk, about the sound thing

my recorder doesnt like windows 7 so it didnt install properly. the audio drivers messed up so im forced into using my headset as the audio device lol

if i made typos **** it im on a phone

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord

I'm having some major match up issues against Fox, Falco and Marth. Any fellow P:M Link users (or players) have any tips or strategies against these characters?

If you catch any of them in the air a great strategy is simply to use his recovery into them; it still is a mediocre recovery (as it should be) but it's great for finishing off combos in my brief experience with Project:M.

Revven

FrankerZ
Mario had a cool wavedash in melee because he always made his cool jump noise whenever he jumped. In Project M, he'll still do his 'hoo', but it's pretty late in the jump in comparison to melee, so you never really get a chance to hear it anymore. Any plan to adjust the noise so it comes out a hell of a lot sooner (I assume it's the frame he is considered to be jumping in melee)? This is obviously something that is bottom of the barrel when it comes to changing up Project M, since it's a mere cosmetic change. :)
The "hoo" is from his air dodge, not from his jump. It typically occurs when you are triangle jumping iirc, he doesn't make the sound if you perfect wavedash. Which is how it is in Melee too.

Though I could be incorrect (haven't turned on my Melee for a little while).

Skler

Smash Master
Me and a friend gave this a whirl. I think Link still needs a few changes.

1. His utilt startup is a bit too long. I forgot how slow the brawl utilt was and it really just feels...off.

2. His jump needs to be faster. Then again, all brawl jumps feel really slow.

3. I miss his melee hookshot. I know you can't change that, but it just makes me sad.

4. His spin attack could use a bit more range. It doesn't need to be much more, it just feels like it doesn't always hit correctly.

5. Melee bombs! The knockback hurts Link, if it had reduced knockback and more stun it'd be a better move. Link really does need better moves.

6. Nair. It's too slow and doesn't last long enough. Then again, Link's nair was his best move in Melee. That honor has now been taken by Project M's forward tilt (which FINALLY works right, it's so refreshing to have it as a good option).

All in all, I really do enjoy the new Link. It feels a heck of a lot better than Brawl and it's something my friends can play too since it reigns in melee's speed a bit.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman

i love his hoo hoo hoo when your wavedashing ;-) brawl sounds suck ;-)_

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Me and a friend gave this a whirl. I think Link still needs a few changes.
Let's do this. :alakadoof:

1. His utilt startup is a bit too long. I forgot how slow the brawl utilt was and it really just feels...off.
Link's UTilt in Project M comes out from 8, from frame 9 in Melee. The attack also ends 3 frames sooner. The different animation may be throwing you off, but he stands a bit taller during the Brawl Utilt, giving him better vertical range.

2. His jump needs to be faster. Then again, all brawl jumps feel really slow.
Jump startup is 6 in both P:M and Melee, and you can attack frame 7 in both games as well. You're a bit closer to the ground on frame 7 in Project M, though.

3. I miss his melee hookshot. I know you can't change that, but it just makes me sad.
It makes us sad too. Hopefully it'll be an achievable goal.

4. His spin attack could use a bit more range. It doesn't need to be much more, it just feels like it doesn't always hit correctly.
Is the hitbox or the animation your issue? Because the hitbox should match up perfectly with the current animation, and Link is fully extending his sword during the spin. Some moves do seem to break through it a bit easier, though.

5. Melee bombs! The knockback hurts Link, if it had reduced knockback and more stun it'd be a better move. Link really does need better moves.
Histun is directly related to KB. You cannot give a move less KB and more hitstun.

6. Nair. It's too slow and doesn't last long enough. Then again, Link's nair was his best move in Melee. That honor has now been taken by Project M's forward tilt (which FINALLY works right, it's so refreshing to have it as a good option).
Nair comes out frame 4 in both Project M and Melee. It also lasts 39 frames in both. Glad you like the Ftilt though. :)

All in all, I really do enjoy the new Link. It feels a heck of a lot better than Brawl and it's something my friends can play too since it reigns in melee's speed a bit.
Not sure what you mean by "reigns in Melee's speed," considering Link is faster with almost every one of his moves. ;) But I'm glad you're enjoying Link.

Skler

Smash Master
1. Whoa, really? Maybe it's just how the animations and everything are. I don't know why it feels slow to me :(

2. That expalins it!

4. In Melee I feel like it extended the range of the sword for some reason (magic!) but the character models and everything are so different in Brawl. I guess I'm just used to the upB having ultrahuge range compared to the character model. Again, it's just a feel thing that I bet I could get used to.

5.I'd suggest cutting down on the knockback then and giving it mutliple hitboxes. In Melee it was two hits of explosion which gave it what looked like longer stun. I also think reducing its explosion hitbox's size would help comboing from it. The bomb really was a big deal in Melee and I feel it's less useful in project M (though better than it was in Brawl).

6. Really? I'm getting so old. Does the nair's animation last exactly 39 frames in Project M? I'm used to the move hitting up until the point you can use it again.\

Maybe (very likely) it's because I'm not used to the game, but it does just feel slower. Maybe it's the larger characters or the way the animations look. I always felt like Brawl itself feels choppy in a way Melee and even smash 64 never were even before deciding to switch back to older games. I'm sure if I familiarize myself with Project M more (which I plan on) I can get back into a groove and have it flow just like Melee did.

Falcon does feel great in Project M. Lordy I missed comboing into knees so much. My friend enjoys Lucas too. That smash charge move is all sorts of awesome.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
4. In Melee I feel like it extended the range of the sword for some reason (magic!) but the character models and everything are so different in Brawl. I guess I'm just used to the upB having ultrahuge range compared to the character model. Again, it's just a feel thing that I bet I could get used to.
Yeah, I think it's a Brawl graphical thing. :c

5.I'd suggest cutting down on the knockback then and giving it mutliple hitboxes. In Melee it was two hits of explosion which gave it what looked like longer stun. I also think reducing its explosion hitbox's size would help comboing from it. The bomb really was a big deal in Melee and I feel it's less useful in project M (though better than it was in Brawl).
I'll look into it. It probably depends on how well Link ends up performing.

6. Really? I'm getting so old. Does the nair's animation last exactly 39 frames in Project M? I'm used to the move hitting up until the point you can use it again.
It lasts 39 frames exactly. ;)
Maybe (very likely) it's because I'm not used to the game, but it does just feel slower. Maybe it's the larger characters or the way the animations look. I always felt like Brawl itself feels choppy in a way Melee and even smash 64 never were even before deciding to switch back to older games. I'm sure if I familiarize myself with Project M more (which I plan on) I can get back into a groove and have it flow just like Melee did.
It can take a bit of time to mentally get used to the graphics and camera and whatnot. Hopefully it'll feel smoother than Brawl after that. :awesome:

Falcon does feel great in Project M. Lordy I missed comboing into knees so much. My friend enjoys Lucas too. That smash charge move is all sorts of awesome.
Glad you're liking it!

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
Just a note, isn't it more the angle of the KB on the bomb that's the problem? I feel like at the moment the problem is you hit them and they end up too far away. If the angle was made closer to vertical it would be less of a problem.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Hey, this is kind of a random question... but do you think somewhere down the road Sonic's moonwalk animation could actually be his forward running animation instead of an 80's slide? Just seems more moonwalkish IMO

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
So I tried using Link's Zair more... yea it's not working out, whenever I throw it out, usually my opponent's attack outprioritizes it and goes right through it, or the hitbox goes right over characters(especially marth and fox), OR I get a hit, but before I get to land my opponent throws out a quick Fsmash

So in my experience, it's useless, can anyone show me some situations in which to use it?

yes, i think it's like that in vbrawl. Ness's bat has ALWAYS reflected projectiles
huh, thanks

With Fox, bounce the boomerang off the ground every time, and take out a bomb when you get the chance, the reflector doesn't work so well on bombs, and try to stay mid range and throw out attacks with large hitboxes

R00R

Smash Journeyman
uhhh Is there a list anywhere of what stages were changed to what, this would make installing pcs and brstm files a lot easier.

What happened to Norfair?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace

I always felt like Brawl itself feels choppy in a way Melee and even smash 64 never were even before deciding to switch back to older games.
I feel the same way on both of these

EDIT:
This too

no

just do this

taunt cancel then jump

ezpz
How do you taunt cancel? And can everyone do it for every taunt?

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Why cant I find it at the stage selection screen? Am I just blind or ******** or something?

Rikana

Smash Champion
Hey, this is kind of a random question... but do you think somewhere down the road Sonic's moonwalk animation could actually be his forward running animation instead of an 80's slide? Just seems more moonwalkish IMO
I remember this being brought up and its not up to the devs to decide what animations the moonwalk provides or something.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Why cant I find it at the stage selection screen? Am I just blind or ******** or something?
The stage is planned to be altered in the future, so we took it out of the demo. We didn't want to have a stage in the demo that isn't going to properly represent what it's going to be in the future.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
because his overall playstyle has already been determined

(and devs are happy with it)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
answers are always remarkably similar I've noticed. It's as if the answers to some questions are predetermined and PM'd to various people. :bee:

anyways thanks for a reasonable answer and not a "**** ______" answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom