• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
What if, we changed it so final smash ball things don't appear at all, but instead, if a player gets a 5 hit combo or something (as in, 5 distinct hits, not just spamming A or other multi-hit attacks like TL up-B) they go into FS mode and can then use a FS as a finishing move of their combo? However, if they don't use it within 2-3 seconds, it goes away. Of course, if FS is disabled in the item switch then this doesn't happen.

Thoughts?
Could be cool, but a few things would have to happen:

1. All final smashes should be balanced to be single person OHKO moves sort of like Link's and Marth's final smash

2. The parameters behind the activation might have to be character specific. Bowser will never achieve a 5 hit combo without using a multi hit attack whereas caharcters like Falco and IC's could pull off 5+ hit combos like it is their job.

And there is of course what Grim said.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Could be cool, but a few things would have to happen:

1. All final smashes should be balanced to be single person OHKO moves sort of like Link's and Marth's final smash

2. The parameters behind the activation might have to be character specific. Bowser will never achieve a 5 hit combo without using a multi hit attack whereas caharcters like Falco and IC's could pull off 5+ hit combos like it is their job.

And there is of course what Grim said.
I doubt they're going to do it. It'll be a pain to do.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I had an idea that when a player does 250% damage he or she gets a final smash, kinda like filling a super bar in a fighting game.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I had an idea that when a player does 250% damage he or she gets a final smash, kinda like filling a super bar in a fighting game.
Does or get? Makes more sense if you HAVE 250, as a reward for lasting that long. If you give, that's impossible, unless you're Mr. Game and watch against Ness and absorb 3 PK flashes, shoot it out, and Ness deflects it with his bat.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That's like what SSBC does.

The problem with that is the game cannot seem to handle multiple FSes very well.
Many combinations freeze the game.
For example, If 2 Triforce slashes connect the same target around the same time, the game will silent freeze.

Back to Project:M.

I hope we can find an alternate fix to IDC, but oh well. Good luck with your preperations guys.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Does or get? Makes more sense if you HAVE 250, as a reward for lasting that long. If you give, that's impossible, unless you're Mr. Game and watch against Ness and absorb 3 PK flashes, shoot it out, and Ness deflects it with his bat.
Does, and it would be acomulative throught the match and not just one stock.

And yeah you're right grim, didn't think that one through :D

Edit: Maybe it could be character specific like jiggs: 100 and fox: 300 for example

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Anyway, I don't expect them to do it.
I just wanted to make a common3.pac to make items more balanced for the item players.
Like a fan based project for a fan based project.

This is getting to off-topic sir.

Thanks for the streams, JC.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Anyway, I don't expect them to do it.
I just wanted to make a common3.pac to make items more balanced for the item players.
Like a fan based project for a fan based project.

This is getting to off-topic sir.

Thanks for the streams, JC.
I saw the 1/4 that was in the middle... :p

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I may not represent how the whole team feels on these questions (it would be better if shanus or someone else who has been around longer than me to answer) but I think I can give some decent answers to these.

1. This mod can still be very fun for casual players. Despite the competitive nature built around it, it has generated a lot of fun new ways for casual players to enjoy characters they played in vBrawl. From new stages like Hyrule Castle 64 to completely redone characters like Snake you will find something to enjoy here as a casual player. Matches overall become a lot more fun and way different than how they were in vBrawl. (not sure if you want to refer to it as vBrawl on neogaf...)

2. While it may seem a bit puzzling on why we are changing vBrawl characters so much it really shouldn't surprise many people. There are just some characters that rely too much on a few select moves or characters whose move set wasn't quite what was envisioned if the character was in Melee (for example Wario). Changing vBrawl characters brings richness to the gameplay and differentiates it from the original game so you're not just playing that same exact character and that same character has the same strategies; think of it as a new game. A big part of it is also to fit them within Super Smash Bros. Melee's physics, if they kept everything about themselves the same as in vBrawl they would likely not feel very good or fit in at all making our goal impossible to reach if we left them alone.

3. There are some stages that are simply unsalvageable or not even fun to play on casually (Hanenbow). However rest assured in the final release that all stages will (from vBrawl) be playable as well as the newer stages. Newer stages include Saffron City 64, Dreamland 64, Metal Cavern, Dracula's Castle, a remade Hyrule Temple and many more! Giving new options is only beneficial, you shouldn't dismiss stages just because they lack hazards. New stages give a fresh feeling to the game and sets it apart from vBrawl.

4. Characters in Melee land on their shins and in vBrawl they land on their feet. This makes various things such as Marth's short hop double forward air difficult to do because he lands much sooner than in Melee. Some other things get messed up as well especially for Ganondorf as he cannot hit people through platforms with his down air like he can in Melee.

Is that good enough? I think so... again I'm not representative so these might not be the perfect answers (then again no answer really can be imo).
Sounds good to me! Thanks a lot :)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I'm curious, what's going to come of diddy? What does the melee traction do to his glide toss? I know what made him the only character I enjoyed in brawl, was that it actually felt like pseudo melee, glide tossing bananas across the screen and such. I would be quite happy with a glide tossing diddy, in project m, considering I do it enough in melee with marth/roy.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
regarding the topic on fs's i really don't see it possible to balance it. some are way too good while others are mediocre. however if they did do something I could see fs's working like powerstone or ssf but then again it goes against the no items rule... just my opinion. typing on psp sucks.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Come to Australia then.

I don't see how doing that with the control stick would be any more difficult than doing it with buttons.
Well with the control stick you have to move up, release in 3 frames (not that difficult) then tap left and release back to neutral (which will take a few frames), and then press b to laser, and I'm not sure of the frame data but you'd have very little leeway.

With Y you can tap backwards at the same time as you jump, so you have more leeway. (though it's harder to move from Y to B to laser fast enough, but still doable)

As for final smash talk...
It'd be cool if you got one after taking somebody from 0% > Death without getting hit...probably hard to program though.
And maybe lowering how many stocks behind you need to be to get a pity final smash. (like 2 or 3 behind instead of the 6 it normally is)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I disagree with the concept of Pity Smashes. Why should a player be rewarded for being bad?
Sakurai.

Also it can make comebacks easier, you can get momentum from just taking a stock, evens the playing field somewhat.

Also if the limit is lowered it makes JV 5 stocks >9000x more impressive :awesome:

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
It will be broadcast LIVE today at http://www.livestream.com/smyn at 2:30 PM Eastern Time.

I'll post again as a reminder when that time comes.

EDIT:
As a heads-up, you guys might want to have Ad-block Plus on your browsers. Livestream likes to do ads every fifteen minutes that interrupts the stream, but ABP knocks them right out.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Adblock plus confirmed for pm. On a more serious note: I love adblock plus.

Looking forward to the podcast today.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
As far as I know, Adblock is on Firefox and Chrome.

Anyway, to not derail this topic any further, I will post the questions that will be asked (straight from the outline), just to pique some of your interests for listening in a few hours.

INTERVIEW
- History/Why P:M was created
- Main technical elements that are being implemented
- Any significant gameplay debates that have gone on internally; how were those resolved?
- The balancing process for P:M
- Dealing with the “just play Melee” or even other Brawl Mods haters
- Any characters close to completion (for a reveal) OR fan favorites that are wanted?
CyberLink: Do you think there's a risk of hacks becoming so complex that hardware or software limitations could potentially end up holding back future developments?
MonkUnit: What Brawl character has been the easiest so far to transition into a Melee environment? And what changes were made to that Brawl character?
Demon-Oni: With the demo being released soon, what are the PMBR's plans for reintroducing the characters not included in the demo? They only want to release characters that they feel are completed, I understand, but does that mean we will be getting groups of them in for the demo later on, or just have to wait until the final release?
MK26: Are you afraid that coders will repurpose the P:M demo's codes or files and upload bootleg 'mods' of P:M as is being done with Brawl+? Do you think that not releasing a text file of the codeset is enough of a deterrent?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Castlevania is a Konami series, iirc, and Snake is from Metal Gear, also a Konami series.

Why have Smashville, an Animal Crossing stage?
Why have Hanenbow? That's actually a pretty good question, come to think of it. Even I, someone who likes 75m, Mario Bros, and Pirate Ship, refuse to play on Hanenbow.

In other news, just looking at Snake, he seems to be the kind of character I'd main. So far, it seems I'll be maining Ganon, Snake, and maybe Pichu, Mewtwo, or Roy if the clone engine ends up working.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Castlevania is a Konami series, iirc, and Snake is from Metal Gear, also a Konami series.
Indeed, however we have shadow moss island with snake.

What do we have with dracula's casstle.

I googled it and it looks really awesome, but it seems a little out of place to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom