• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I actually really like this.

I know it isn't the point of the project, but if you guys could try and make items more competitive and bring back some Melee ones, that'd be really sweet.
It's not te point of the project because it'll never happen. Asking to bring back Melee items is one thing, but items will never be balanced out to be more competitive. Items are there to help you get an advantage over the other person. People fighting for one or more items by itself takes the competition aspect away.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It's not te point of the project because it'll never happen. Asking to bring back Melee items is one thing, but items will never be balanced out to be more competitive. Items are there to help you get an advantage over the other person. People fighting for one or more items by itself takes the competition aspect away.
God...

Items are there to help you get an advantage over the other person just like pressing the 'A' button is, the difference is that items spawn in random areas at random heights and at random times (all adjustable via hacking iirc) and some of them are too powerful in the advantage they give (not sure if that is editable).

It doesn't take competition away, it changes it, Mr. NoItemsFoxOnlyFinalDestination

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
God...

Items are there to help you get an advantage over the other person just like pressing the 'A' button is, the difference is that items spawn in random areas at random heights and at random times (all adjustable via hacking iirc) and some of them are too powerful in the advantage they give (not sure if that is editable).

It doesn't take competition away, it changes it, Mr. NoItemsFoxOnlyFinalDestination
everytime i readed you, i thought you were pro. Not anymore

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
items are not competitive. items add a RANDOM factor to the game. that RANDOM factor dont require any ability, just luck, that why trip in brawl is so stupid.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
items are not competitive. items add a RANDOM factor to the game. that RANDOM factor dont require any ability, just luck, that why trip in brawl is so stupid.
Read my post very carefully.

God...

I was pointing out in my post how the reason they are un-competitive is because they are random, and that hacking can change that.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I noticed in the recent videos that Wario has several new moves or animations. Are these close enough to being finished that they could be officially announced in a dojo-like post, or are they still being changed?

Also, why was Lucas considered complete enough that he could be posted on the smashmods.com dojo, whereas now you always say that no characters are close to being finished?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
While we can control spawn points and which ones spawn, I do not think we can control the timing at which they spawn yet, which is a shame because having items spawn in the middle of the stage every 30 seconds would make for good not-so serious matches.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
I agree that it'd be cool to make items usable w/o the whoever-has-the-best-items-randomly-spawn-next-to-them-wins aspect. Maybe they'll do it on a random boring friday after it's released @_@

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
While we can control spawn points and which ones spawn, I do not think we can control the timing at which they spawn yet, which is a shame because having items spawn in the middle of the stage every 30 seconds would make for good not-so serious matches.
Ah yeah, that is a shame.

Oh well, even with random timing on the spawns, as long as they have predictable spawn areas they would still be semi-competitive.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I don't even care if they're not competitive. IMO items should not have a place at the real competitive level.

I just wish they were fun and not so ridiculously unbalanced, so they would be good to use if I decided to just shoot the ****. I would totally be for a reworking of items in that sense.

All in due time, of course. The main mechanics of the game take precedence above all else.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
There would just be repetitive camping for control of that section of the stage in consistent intervals.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't think items have their place in a competition, BUT it's not like we always play to compete. Items can sometimes be amusing.

Still, I'll be satisfied with just the Melee rebalancing.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
We're not going to waste our time working on items. They have no place in tournaments.

I am glad everyone's liking the look of Wario though. Looks like all it took was getting a flashy and interesting player like Boss to play him.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
just wanted to thank the team again for their hard work.. I've recently watched some wario matches and he seems awesome.. I mean.. I've seen so much failed PSAs that when I read you were going to rebuild wario's whole moveset I thought "I doubt it fits melee enviroment perfectly". I've never been so glad someone proves me wrong.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
While it's not even remotely within this project's goals, balancing of the items would be very nice. Brawl's items are simply not very fun to play with. Both Melee and 64 did a significantly better job there.

EDIT: Would like to agree that Wario is pretty awesome. Really love how well the revamped moveset turned out.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I've watched Wario as well. He actually seems usable now compared to his earlier version. Well done.

Edit: I think the best items were in the N64 version :). Bumper was funny.

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
While it's not even remotely within this project's goals, balancing of the items would be very nice. Brawl's items are simply not very fun to play with. Both Melee and 64 did a significantly better job there.

EDIT: Would like to agree that Wario is pretty awesome. Really love how well the revamped moveset turned out.

That's a pretty subjective matter. Personally I enjoy Brawls items the most, because when I play with items on I don't expect "balance", and I just throw **** around have fun. My only complaint about brawls items is the fan. It's gay. But it was gay in Melee, too.

I think it's kind of a waste of time even suggesting un-serious competitive things until after it's been released. Maybe then they'd be kind enough to listen to these silly requests.

GPDP

Smash Ace
It's the Pokemon that disappoint me the most. Good god what were they thinking?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That's a pretty subjective matter. Personally I enjoy Brawls items the most, because when I play with items on I don't expect "balance", and I just throw **** around have fun. My only complaint about brawls items is the fan. It's gay. But it was gay in Melee, too.

I think it's kind of a waste of time even suggesting un-serious competitive things until after it's been released. Maybe then they'd be kind enough to listen to these silly requests.
Yeah, it is subjective.

I play with items for fun, but I don't find the items in Brawl fun (because half of them are just "lol this kills you instantly because why not"

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
I think that a good way to implement a better item gameplay would be that they only work by pressing neutral A (or the less possible number of convinations necessary for their function) and be thrown just with "Z"+direction. Obviusly this will let all aerials and most of ground movements free to be used while holding the item leading to an increased number of combo possibilities. Just think of all the hype armada builds with a Stichface combo Because peach can use aerials while holding items.

Even tho, I don't think this is the place to ask for something like this as items are no relevant for the goals P:M has. And also, I think we should at least think about all the work they are doing right now before we start asking for more irrelevant things (for the proyect.. not trying to be disrespectful with anyone).

EDIT: I wasn't talking abaout THE stich face combo.. just any combo that involves stichface xD.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, it is subjective.

I play with items for fun, but I don't find the items in Brawl fun (because half of them are just "lol this kills you instantly because why not"
Deku Nut and Dragoon are simply stupid and I don't get why they made the Screw Attack tiny and an equipment item. And yes, the pokemon are terrible in Brawl too.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think that a good way to implement a better item gameplay would be that they only work by pressing neutral A (or the less possible number of convinations necessary for their function) and be thrown just with "Z"+direction. Obviusly this will let all aerials and most of ground movements free to be used while holding the item leading to an increased number of combo possibilities. Just think of all the hype armada builds with a Stichface combo Because peach can use aerials while holding items.

Even tho, I don't think this is the place to ask for something like this as items are no relevant for the goals P:M has. And also, I think we should at least think about all the work they are doing right now before we start asking for more irrelevant things (for the proyect.. not trying to be disrespectful with anyone).
For the fighting game I'm developing, Deviant (shameless plug). Items are designed to fall in random areas, but there is an indicator before the item appears that shows where and when it will drop down.

The items themselves are also designed to take skill to use, rather than "press A for instant advantage".

You can also carry two items at a time, and they don't interfere with normal combat.

:awesome:

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
I think The PM team should develop there own item spaning system... It solves it for all of us.
Someone suggest items and the game spawns a sledge hammer in the other persons hand.... could be to anyone other then the suggested person <3

I liked items for the blowing off steam and black hole glitch but not in tournament play.... Its easy becuase everyone dog piles into the so and so item like smashball or bombs to throw. Only item that is worth tournament play is mr.Saturn. Hes your friend to the end!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I always felt Pokemon and assist trophies should be powerful, so that the person seeing you picking it up would go "Oh.... crud!". XD.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
I always felt Pokemon and assist trophies should be powerful, so that the person seeing you picking it up would go "Oh.... crud!". XD.
Ya i remember back in my casual melee days.. every time a pokeball appeared everyone would flip out trying to get it first.. then when they do.. it's something awesome
and when it's goldeen it's always a good laugh.

And Lyn = best assist trophy. Just because she's cool.

-the most off topic you can get in the project: M thread w/o talking about something non-smash related-

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Read my post very carefully.

I was pointing out in my post how the reason they are un-competitive is because they are random, and that hacking can change that.
Oh what about of puting only 2 item spawn points, one at each side of the stage, and the items comes at the same time on the both sides, that would make the game prettycompetitive don you think????

sarcasm mode off

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I think the guy just argued for a less random item system. I got nothing against it, but I never use items, unless poeple force me to, XD.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Oh what about of puting only 2 item spawn points, one at each side of the stage, and the items comes at the same time on the both sides, that would make the game prettycompetitive don you think????

sarcasm mode off
y so srs?
I missed the part where he said "BALANCE ITEMS SO WE CAN ALLOW THEM IN TOURNAMENTS"
Just chillax. His suggestion was hardly argument worthy.

D

Deleted member

What's up with Wario's uair's KB?

It seems weird. Is it set BKB or something?

It doesn't seem to kill.

Oh, and nice work uploading all the videos quickly JC. Boss makes Wario look very dynamic and interesting.

Edit: Wow at Boss's Toon Link.

lasershadow

Smash Rookie
i know assembly, but i don't really know how to apply that knowledge to modifying the game. does anyone know who i can talk to to learn how to view/edit the brawl assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom