• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
GRABBlNG THE LEDGE BACKWARDS SUCKKKSSSSS.

It takes away the feel of Melee. I just feel like it makes everything easier, which sucks.

I sincerely hope it's not in. And this was posted in the melee boards and almost EVERYONE thinks the same way I do. They all say if this doesn't feel almost exactly like melee they probably won't play it. The edge game is a KEY part of melee. Take that weak backwards ledgegrabbing **** out.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
N.A.G.A.C.E -- clone arguments aside, Ganon's melee u-smash was just a better move. period. The damage, the duration of the two swings, the massively stretched hitboxes, the crotch hitbox with absurd horizontal KB.... there is no debate. If you absolutely must continue this strangely illogical argument we can take it to PMs.

Kupo -- I think you're basing too much off of trying to make the melee cape work. And you know what? Against good players it didn't even work that well.

Before you say anything, go watch SilentSpectre play against Waffles. If he recoveries high getting caped is completely ineffective... so much so that it's almost always better to try for a bair. When recovering low, SS would purposefully recover backwards and sweetspot, and you know what? Even if HMW caped him he would still grab the ledge. Granted, the Jeff recovery will **** you up and can't be representative of everyone, but he manages to avoid dying at least 70% of the time he gets caped.

Then there's the recent Brawl+ GSH cape. By adding a bit more KB to the cape it functions perfectly well in this backwards grabbing environment, and when you factor in the reduction in grab range on top of that it'll work even better.

The point is, I agree that it may be necessary eventually to change backwards grabbing, but I don't think we should have our minds so set already or base so much of our argument off a single move type. Let's try backwards grabbing with shrunk range first.

Rikana

Smash Champion
It can be "weak" or it can be "strong" depending on your perspective. Although it may make recovery more difficulty for those trying to get back on stage it also has its purpose of making edge guards more powerful. For example, if you were Falco/Fox. You were on the very left side of FD and fSmash them to the right. He/she is trying to recover and is close to the edge. You want to get to the edge faster. What do you do? You sideB so you can land exactly above the ledge for an edge hog.

What I just mentioned is very situational and also rarely ever happens, but pulling little things like this in a game is what gives the wow factor.

Backwards ledge grabbing doesn't need to be taken out yet. Open beta still hasn't been released. We can debate about it once we actually get to test it. Although, I do agree that I'd like it taken out.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
now i am more then happy to drop the up-smash argument (in fact i already had) but i by no means see how u can say it was illogical (i take slight offense to this, take a lesson from ETW when he disagreed with me he explained why, no reason to be so dismissive). all i was saying/asking was if it was necessary to change the move instead of just improving the new one thats not illogical. Also what do u mean by stretched hitboxes? the move seemed to have pretty shot horizontal range so is the stretch vertical? Also i was asking if a sped up ganon up-smash would fit into this game (comparing the two different moves is not fair b/c ganon sucks in brawl so i am pretty sure u can say almost all melee ganon moves were better but that does not mean that with tweaking that would still be true).

Anyway i like this project i just feel that sometimes people want to change things just b/c its different and not in melee and i think someone should ask if that is necessary and if it is ok but imo moves should not be changed just b/c they were different in melee they should be changed because there is a need for the change like falco's shine so he can pillar and since people seem to think ganon's up-smash needs to be changed then thats fine, i just want to make sure there was a good reason behind the change.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
GRABBlNG THE LEDGE BACKWARDS SUCKKKSSSSS.

It takes away the feel of Melee. I just feel like it makes everything easier, which sucks.

I sincerely hope it's not in. And this was posted in the melee boards and almost EVERYONE thinks the same way I do. They all say if this doesn't feel almost exactly like melee they probably won't play it. The edge game is a KEY part of melee. Take that weak backwards ledgegrabbing **** out.
Not to be a jerk about this, but...

You and the rest of the Melee boards can continue to play Melee.

Backwards ledge grabbing is a great step up from Melee's ledge grabbing. I hated how 50% of my deaths were from my character not grabbing the ledge while facing backwards, when all it takes is for them to reach out, and grab it. The irony of it is, your arms are closer to the ledge, when you're facing backwards, then when you're facing forward, depending on how the character is falling. Poor Kirby can't grab the ledge backwards while using his UpB, but Ike can... is that fair? No. If anything, fix characters who can't backwards ledge grab.

This is supposed to be a project that combines the feels of Brawl(+), Melee, and 64.

Rikana

Smash Champion
This is supposed to be a project that combines the feels of Brawl(+), Melee, and 64.
Technically, more like Melee. But because there's a twist to it (since it is based off Brawl's engine after all), its debatable whether or not backwards ledge grab should stay. Let open beta come out before we argue about it.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm gonna have to concur with Sovereign a little here. The way many Melee players are putting Melee on a high pedestal, and claiming they refuse to play this if it doesn't feel 110% like Melee reeks of close-mindedness and a complete refusal to try this out unless it caters to their every whim.

I know this game aims to become Melee 2.0, but that doesn't mean it should become a carbon copy of Melee.

Those players who refuse to touch this unless it's Melee (never mind Melee 2.0)? You will never please them. Hell, some have already written it off from the outset because "it will never be Melee." Melee has a god-like status to them, and anything else can go to hell. Thankfully, they seem to be a minority, since most reactions have been positive.

At the very least, there should be a period where we try some things out, and see whether we wanna keep some Brawl things many believe to be improvements, or just jump the shark completely and replicate Melee down to the way Captain Falcon dash dances.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Please, no more ledge grabbing discussion until we've actually tried backwards grabbing with melee-sized grab boxes.

If you feel you have something dramatically different than what's been said here (ad nauseum), send me a PM.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Phantom Hits should be restored to achieve that true melee feel.

Oh yeah. The Kirby/Jiggs EZ mode meteor cancelling was awesome too.

shanus

Smash Hero
now i am more then happy to drop the up-smash argument (in fact i already had) but i by no means see how u can say it was illogical (i take slight offense to this, take a lesson from ETW when he disagreed with me he explained why, no reason to be so dismissive). all i was saying/asking was if it was necessary to change the move instead of just improving the new one thats not illogical. Also what do u mean by stretched hitboxes? the move seemed to have pretty shot horizontal range so is the stretch vertical? Also i was asking if a sped up ganon up-smash would fit into this game (comparing the two different moves is not fair b/c ganon sucks in brawl so i am pretty sure u can say almost all melee ganon moves were better but that does not mean that with tweaking that would still be true).

Anyway i like this project i just feel that sometimes people want to change things just b/c its different and not in melee and i think someone should ask if that is necessary and if it is ok but imo moves should not be changed just b/c they were different in melee they should be changed because there is a need for the change like falco's shine so he can pillar and since people seem to think ganon's up-smash needs to be changed then thats fine, i just want to make sure there was a good reason behind the change.
This isn't a project where we simply need to justify the change for balance sake. Balance comes later. It's directly in the mission statement, "technical gameplay."

Falco's old shine versus new shine should speak for itself in technical gameplay. Falco is also the furthest progressed because I was a falco main in melee, as well. Don't forget we do these projects, and this project largely started because I built a melee falco code.....

Most changes in this set are pretty well reasoned and not wildly out of line, but people need to realize that this set will also dose up a lot of nostalgia when you play it because we are pulling in the favorite qualities of every smash game...

Also, any closet ASM coders or anyone out there?

BTW, Over 2.4K in less than 24 hours, not bad people! HypeM!

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Not to be a jerk about this, but...

You and the rest of the Melee boards can continue to play Melee.

Backwards ledge grabbing is a great step up from Melee's ledge grabbing. I hated how 50% of my deaths were from my character not grabbing the ledge while facing backwards, when all it takes is for them to reach out, and grab it. The irony of it is, your arms are closer to the ledge, when you're facing backwards, then when you're facing forward, depending on how the character is falling. Poor Kirby can't grab the ledge backwards while using his UpB, but Ike can... is that fair? No. If anything, fix characters who can't backwards ledge grab.

O RLY? Even tho shanus said many times that this is aimed towards melee players it really isn't? Fine then, I'll leave. You know, I thought the m in project m stood for melee. I guess not.

I'm sorry but I have never met anybody that was GOOD at melee that died 50% of the time because they can't face the edge while recovering. This game isn't suppose to be made for scrubs. Just because you can't simply face the edge when recovering isn't our problem, it's YOUR problem.

shanus

Smash Hero
ET, it's definitely predominantly focused on melee, but some little things from 64 and others will find their way in a la wolf's ground canceled shine, etc.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I can't hear a thing in that stream.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the Brawl+ Shields are ugly? Is there a way to make them more Melee-ish?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Is there any kind of tweaking that can be done to the wavedashing as a result of the Melee AD code? It looks no different than it did over a year ago, and something just looks odd about it. Maybe it's just cause I'm not used to seeing it?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but I have never met anybody that was GOOD at melee that died 50% of the time because they can't face the edge while recovering. This game isn't suppose to be made for scrubs. Just because you can't simply face the edge when recovering isn't our problem, it's YOUR problem.
Backwards edge grabbing allows for more creative edge guards with every character, not just for characters like Marth (bair, forward B), Sheik (reverse needle cancel), Jiggs (jump, forward B), Fox/Falco (forward B, reverse shine), etc. who can turn in the air whenever they want. Reverse edge grabs will help in balancing Project M.

shanus

Smash Hero
Is there any kind of tweaking that can be done to the wavedashing as a result of the Melee AD code? It looks no different than it did over a year ago, and something just looks odd about it. Maybe it's just cause I'm not used to seeing it?
Its an entirely new code. if your wondering about the looks, that the special fall landlag animation used by characters. A lot have been replaced (lol, luigi used to wavedash upside down). However, as people pointed out it still looks weird for some characters like fox and falco (they kind of bend over while landing), so we are going to replace every characters animation for it so that it looks dramatically smoother. Its not due to the code itself, just animations look silly since it looks like they are hitting the ground really hard.

The air dodge code is entirely new though, so please don't associate it with the old code.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
is moonwalking only in for falcon? remember that the links were rly good at moonwalking in melee, and almost any character could do it

jalued

Smash Lord
Backwards edge grabbing allows for more creative edge guards with every character, not just for characters like Marth (bair, forward B), Sheik (reverse needle cancel), Jiggs (jump, forward B), Fox/Falco (forward B, reverse shine), etc. who can turn in the air whenever they want. Reverse edge grabs will help in balancing Project M.
the other way to look at it is that with increased gravity and limited airdodge ability edgeguarding is a much bigger focus already. Reverse edgegrabbing will just make edgeguarding even easier and make onstage kills almost obsolete

shanus

Smash Hero
is moonwalking only in for falcon? remember that the links were rly good at moonwalking in melee, and almost any character could do it
Currently yes, but that is because of the fact that we are trying to optimize the code for it and it is extremely lengthy. Once the PSA lines have been ironed out, a fighter.pac injection will be made to make it work for all chars.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I'm guessing it isn't possible for meteor spikes to return.

Also, how did you get ROB to wavedash/directional airdodge without the game exploding? Are you guys wizards?

kupo15

Smash Hero
BS. People actually pay attention to crap like that? Backwards edge grabbing should stay. Period. There's no good or logical reason to take it away in the first place. It should've always been there. >_>
If you keep backwards ledge grabbing, then you remove the skill of being able to do a quick edge hog alla wavedash backwards and you make edge hogging really easy even when you are out of position to do so. In melee, you had to plan ahead and good players were able to move in such a way that allowed them to have a ton of options despite the "limitations" of the game's rules. When I mean limitations, I mean the things that Brawl just throws away leaving the gameplay sloppy. Sometimes restrictions make things a hell of a lot better and melee is certain no exception
Kupo -- I think you're basing too much off of trying to make the melee cape work. And you know what? Against good players it didn't even work that well.

Before you say anything, go watch SilentSpectre play against Waffles. If he recoveries high getting caped is completely ineffective... so much so that it's almost always better to try for a bair. When recovering low, SS would purposefully recover backwards and sweetspot, and you know what? Even if HMW caped him he would still grab the ledge. Granted, the Jeff recovery will **** you up and can't be representative of everyone, but he manages to avoid dying at least 70% of the time he gets caped.
Trust me, I know all the recent matches because I follow them and I play melee these days...but thanks for using an exception to try and prove your point. But still, I can disprove a lot of your points anyway

Caping high is pointless

This isn't exactly true. By caping high and turning them around when near the ledge, you effectively remove the ledge as a recovery option. This means that they are forced to land on the stage to avoid death which sets up for more punishment. If you have reverse grabbing in place, this no longer works anymore (or at least as effectively as in melee) because you still have the option to grab the ledge.

Caping at high levels of play is more ineffective than effective
No it isn't. It is a tool that can be used to limit options. Against all characters, you're standard option of recovery is being taken away. Space animals are forced to up b straight up to avoid being *****. But you can't just consider pros with this. You are also making it easier for noobs to survive the cape because they would be able to grab the ledge anyway. It definitely has its place but it won't if you can grab the ledge backwards.

Caption falcon still grabs the ledge

Despite the fact that falcon can grab the ledge backwards, if caped while doing a normal up b, he will not grab the ledge backwards and will get gimped. If falcon uses a reverse recovery, it will take more time to get in position and it will restrict his aerial mobility will make it a little easier to edge hog. A simple wavedash on the ledge will put a reverse recovering falcon in a bad position or you can just simply charge a smash. So, no the cape is not pointless.

Falcon's example applies to all

Absolutely false. You didn't say this but implied it through your choice of examples. Take the characters that can't grab backwards in melee no matter what. The cape ***** their normal recovery if you manage to land it. If they try to pull a reverse up b on you, well by not caping, they effectively screwed themselves. For those who think its unfair that some can grab the ledge backwards, I disagree because while falcon can reverse grab, his recovery in comparison is actually quite ****ty to those that can't.

I would also like to add that the possibility of adding the cape off stage as part of a combo would be much more effective in melee than in P:M where you have reverse ledges. If you take the doc falcon example again, lets say that doc decides to do a Bair>cape combo off stage. Despite the fact that falcon may still have another jump (or not) in melee he would be a huge disadvantage because he would be forced to up b in order to grab the ledge as a recovery option. In P:M, that cape would be useless because falcon can still double jump and grab the ledge. Theorycrafting? Maybe....but the point of this paragraph was to prove that the direction you face should be very important because in melee...it is. Its a limitation that is actually exciting and by removing it would definitely not make it feel like melee at all.
Then there's the recent Brawl+ GSH cape. By adding a bit more KB to the cape it functions perfectly well in this backwards grabbing environment, and when you factor in the reduction in grab range on top of that it'll work even better.
I do realize that one could just increase KG to the cape and pits shield, but that only is a band aid that "fixes" that particular problem when reverse grabbing effects more than just 3 moves.
The point is, I agree that it may be necessary eventually to change backwards grabbing, but I don't think we should have our minds so set already or base so much of our argument off a single move type. Let's try backwards grabbing with shrunk range first.
Whatever but be warned
Idk about you, by to me, finding ways to get around the rules of the game was most exciting. Exploiting the DK charge punch so you can change directions is being amazingly creative which adds technique and challenge. You lose the sense of creativity when you completely remove all the restrictions this being one of them. The other is RAR which I won't get into.

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm guessing it isn't possible for meteor spikes to return.

Also, how did you get ROB to wavedash/directional airdodge without the game exploding? Are you guys wizards?
Gave him new animations for him. he works just fine :)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I assumed that since he didn't have an animation to replace, that doing something like that wouldn't work. But alas, I was wrong. I should get back to working on a new entry animation for Link soon...Keep up the good work with Project M guys!

Since most of the people who play melee don't really play brawl, let me ask a question. How fast was wavedashing into an edgehog in melee? If you've actually played brawl recently to remember this, simply running to the edge and fast falling to it isn't as fast as the aforementioned option...and wouldn't be as effective if both were allowed in the same game.

EZ mode?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I assumed that since he didn't have an animation to replace, that doing something like that wouldn't work. But alas, I was wrong. I should get back to working on a new entry animation for Link soon...Keep up the good work with Project M guys!

Since most of the people who play melee don't really play brawl, let me ask a question. How fast was wavedashing into an edgehog in melee? If you've actually played brawl recently to remember this, simply running to the edge and fast falling to it isn't as fast as the aforementioned option...and wouldn't be as effective if both were allowed in the same game.

EZ mode?
Brawl's ledge hogging system is loads faster than melee's wavedash edge hogging system

1. The fact that you don't have to be facing a particular way makes it both EZ mode and fast because if you weren't in position, you would be slightly behind. In brawl, think of Sonic. Which is faster for him....running across the entire stage to a quick edge hog or running across, having to turn around then grab the ledge?

2. It doesn't matter if your wave dashing off the edge to a FF or running off to a FF, from the moment your off the stage, the grab time is the same.

Also, I am an exception. I may play melee now, but I stuck with Brawl pretty long and you know my history in the hacking scene. I know both games very well to be able to compare them

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
Nice idea the streaming, I hope you let us watch more of it often so we can follow the development.

But really, Falco is pure awesomeness. This is getting sexier than I thought. Also, besides of replacing wavedash animations, have you considered adding melee's dust clouds? Is not necessary, but maybe it helps to hide the dead frame visual stuff (in case wavedash looked weird with the last code).

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I liked reverse grabbing but Kupo is right. I think it should probably be taken out unless it has some very specific and much weaker circumstance it can be done in.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Brawl's ledge hogging system is loads faster than melee's wavedash edge hogging system

1. The fact that you don't have to be facing a particular way makes it both EZ mode and fast because if you weren't in position, you would be slightly behind. In brawl, think of Sonic. Which is faster for him....running across the entire stage to a quick edge hog or running across, having to turn around then grab the ledge?
btw Sonic will still be able to do this pretty **** fast.

Run towards ledge. B-reverse Side B. Wavedash out.

It'll look cooler and be mad technical though.

kupo15

Smash Hero

That is fine and in all actuality, what you just described sounds ****ing awesome. Its about the little tricks characters have to get around the rules of the game which will make it very exciting. I would much rather see what you described which is technical and a way for the advanced players to stand out than have reverse grabbing in.

shanus

Smash Hero
There is a more elegant solution than simply removing reverse grabs.

You can enable ledge grabbing while facing or not facing the ledge during fall animation only. So for instance, during upB's, you can allow for grabbing the edge backwards to preserve ike edge guarding, but disable reverse grabbing during fall. This eliminates speed hugging, but allows for upB reverse grabs.

Just an idea ;-)

TL?

Smash Ace
You kind of need the two sided edgehogging when half the stages have a ledge you can get caught under. If you're marth on FD and you're under the ledge but under the stage too you cant do an up b towards the stage like in melee and get the ledge because you'll get caught under the wedge. You have to backwards up b in this scenario. I also like to reverse up b with ike as an edge guard.

I'm actually fine with or without both way edge grabbing. If it is taken out I would like to see a few stages tweaked.

kupo15

Smash Hero

You can enable ledge grabbing while facing or not facing the ledge during fall animation only. So for instance, during upB's, you can allow for grabbing the edge backwards to preserve ike edge guarding, but disable reverse grabbing during fall. This eliminates speed hugging, but allows for upB reverse grabs.

Just an idea ;-)
This is fine as it actually makes sense because ike does a flip just like the space animals did in melee. I encourage the brawl characters that exemplify melee traits to get them which includes characters like Wario as well. I'm against reverse grabbing for anything other than flipping up bs

TL? tough luck for marth. He just needs to be more careful the same way spacies had to in Kongo Jungle 64 (name?) I seriously don't see a problem with your marth example since they had to deal with it in BF. No one stopped playing marth because he had to be a little careful sometimes. If your a good player, you won't get caught in the trap and you will stand out from the bad marths

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman

There's a reason they call him the supersonic edgehog. *BA-DUM-PSSSSHHHH*

Bad puns aside, can anyone make any kind of predicted release date? I want to get my hands on this as soon as possible. Or like, any one of the codes used.

shanus

Smash Hero
There's a reason they call him the supersonic edgehog. *BA-DUM-PSSSSHHHH*

Bad puns aside, can anyone make any kind of predicted release date? I want to get my hands on this as soon as possible. Or like, any one of the codes used.
Nope, its a long ways off.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Are we keeping entry animations at all?
No.
They're stupid.

*facepalm*
Yes, of course.

*drools*

You kind of need the two sided edgehogging when half the stages have a ledge you can get caught under. If you're marth on FD and you're under the ledge but under the stage too you cant do an up b towards the stage like in melee and get the ledge because you'll get caught under the wedge. You have to backwards up b in this scenario. I also like to reverse up b with ike as an edge guard.

I'm actually fine with or without both way edge grabbing. If it is taken out I would like to see a few stages tweaked.
>_> When you get better, you learn not to get caught by that.

Just an idea ;-)
This makes the most sense, although I think Kupo misread and thought you meant only those with flips or something, not EVERY UpB.

-DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom