• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cero

Smash Lord
Will every character be able to moonwalk to an extent? Or, is it only limited to Falcon and Sonic?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if every character had a custom animation for their wavedashes? I just thought it would be more aesthetically pleasing than just seeing them kind of scoot around while making a jumping noise. (At least, in Melee, there was a puff of smoke.) :ohwell:

An example would be for Mario's wavedash, him doing a front or back hand spring. This isn't really a request, just tossing it out there.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
We won't be adding any Advanced Technique that wasn't previously in a Super Smash Bros. game.
Yeah, That's kind of what I figured but just curious.

Also, are there going to be stage dojos? And any hints on what the next character dojo will be? Lol sorry about all of the random questions.

94teen

Smash Cadet
Toon Link's physics are equal to Young Link in Melee.

BTW 94teen your character changelist was kinda wrong. Haha.
I'd love to be corrected. That's what I've gleaned by skimming through this when I have some free time.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone will be able to moonwalk like in Melee. People make dust when they WD and they all have custom animations to look like their crouching animation when they land.
It's almost as if it's similar to Melee!!!!

I R MarF: Maybe Snake after he's finished.

I GTG, but I'll correct you eventually.

Revven

FrankerZ
The reason why not everyone has a moonwalk yet is because of the LARGE amount of coding it takes that is put into the pac files and as a result, increases their file size tremendously. Some characters have trouble with this (looking at you ZSS) others don't but, that's the main reason that's holding us back from doing it on everyone. Another method of doing it is being looked into but, it hasn't proven to be real successful yet.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sorry we didn't make one of the best edgeguarders in Melee even better.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I guess you're right. But it still bothers me slightly because I'm so used to using her chainvfor horizontal recovery (it has more horizontal range than her up b)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You'll learn.
Play Melee more. vBrawl/Brawl+ won't help you prepare for this game in the slightest.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
but I can't listen to my awesome music on my awesome stages if I play Melee! ;_;

/sarcasm

(I'll stop posting now since I'm making this feel like a social thread)

which it should be

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Please don't make the ported Melee models the default. We're almost defeating the purpose of this project.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
...rawr.

and it's not my own own music, it's just awesome 64 music that's not in melee. and I know how to hack Brawl so I'll just wait until Melee 2.0 aka P:M because I can do more stuff with it.

and what's wrong with the ported melee models? it's not they'll ever be able to make P:M EXACTLY like melee.
It's not defeating the purpose. There would still be PLENTY of differences between melee and P:M, even if every character that was in melee had their melee model.

frozenhobo. I REALLY don't want to hack melee. Melee is like...classic and off-grounds. On the other hand, Brawl is like an ugly...thing, so I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

D

Deleted member

Please don't make the ported Melee models the default. We're almost defeating the purpose of this project.
They're just customizable options such as music, textures, portraits, etc.

I think it was said that vertex hacks must be universal though.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I think it was said that vertex hacks must be universal though.

IF they were to be put in.

Frozenhobo, I really don't feel like editing melee. It defeats the purpose when brawl is more familiar to me and P:M will make it feel like melee, only with better graphics to edit. >.> and more songs to replace.

Revven

FrankerZ
For now our stance on vertex hacks are that they are optional just to play it safe (as cool as they are). If there's one that some people seem to agree on that needs changing it's Fox's model but again, that's up for debate.

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
That was because he thought they altered hit/hurtboxes, which apparently they don't. Since they don't, there's no need for them to be universal (as far as I'm aware, and from what I've been reading).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The only major side effect I saw from one vertex hack was hatless Toon Link's ground effects appearing in weird places facing different directions (like the landing effect on his dair faces toward the screen and appears at his head). Everything else was fine except for the fact he didn't have a shield (Outset Link v2, not a result of vertex hacking the hat).

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Hey guys, I just had one question. I saw yesterday that Peach's usmash was changed to almost look like her utilt in Brawl (though her utilt looks the same). Is there a hitbox difference with this newly designed usmash? Or does it just outline/define her already wide hitbox range?

Sorry if it's already been talked about. But I don't keep up with this thread consistently =P

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Rising Pound currently (as of 7/24) loses height. BAir isn't strong enough (although FAir is too strong). Still unbelievably godly in teams.
I hope her side b is still a good recovery move though?

and I'd prefer a quick, low lag bair over a strong fair. WoP > pure strength.

Revven

FrankerZ
Hey guys, I just had one question. I saw yesterday that Peach's usmash was changed to almost look like her utilt in Brawl (though her utilt looks the same). Is there a hitbox difference with this newly designed usmash? Or does it just outline/define her already wide hitbox range?

Sorry if it's already been talked about. But I don't keep up with this thread consistently =P
It's supposed to define the Usmash's range for the most part, plus it's a nice GFX change too.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I got super confused at first too o_O then I had to do another usmash just to see it was actually the usmash.

KadeshSa

Smash Rookie
I've only used a couple vertex hacks - one texture slot Shadow and one slot Mewtwo. They did not come with their own movesets, but they definitely changed the hitboxes and hurtboxes. The changed spines made Sonic's fair behave very strangely, and the Mewtwo vertex hack made it so that his pommel no longer connects (lol). So based on this I think that JCaesar's point from way earlier stands.

It is odd though, because these are vertex hacks, not bone hacks. As I understand it, the distinction between the vertices and the bones is that the vertices define the locations of the corners of the polygons that are drawn for the characters, and the bones are a rig for vertices bound to them to be animated. And if bones are what hitboxes and hurtboxes are bound to, I don't understand why vertex hacks would affect the behavior of the hitboxes and hurtboxes.

vectorace

Smash Cadet
but they definitely changed the hitboxes and hurtboxes. The changed spines made Sonic's fair behave very strangely, and the Mewtwo vertex hack made it so that his pommel no longer connects (lol). So based on this I think that JCaesar's point from way earlier stands.

It is odd though, because these are vertex hacks, not bone hacks. As I understand it, the distinction between the vertices and the bones is that the vertices define the locations of the corners of the polygons that are drawn for the characters, and the bones are a rig for vertices bound to them to be animated. And if bones are what hitboxes and hurtboxes are bound to, I don't understand why vertex hacks would affect the behavior of the hitboxes and hurtboxes.
hmm my mewtwo was fine when i didnt use the psa. idk about the shadow one however if you edit characters such as ike and marth i know for shure that the vertex doesn't change anything due to the fact ive done some to give marth a knife and link a sword the length of half of BF =P

but ill look into the sonic and mewtwo ones to make a definite.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Alright so I got a chance to play Project M today for about 10 minutes. not tooo long. However it was enough to realize the potential for this. It's also enough to realize how important it is to fix landing detection. After playing Melee for about 2 hours prior I must say the difference wasn't that apparent which Is good. However when I tried to play as falco the difference became very evident. his timing for wavedashing is like Bowsers and his Multishine is actually easier. His lasers don't go as low either :(. Snake is HELLA FUN!!!!!!!! I can see myself playing him at least as a secondary in the long run.

I must say playing it for myself I can finally understand how much work is still left to be done. I also see the vast difference between it and Brawl though.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I have not had an issue with vertex hacks and hitboxes. Like I said, the worst case was hatless Toon Link's ground effects going into weird positions. The Cloud vertex hack of Ike and the Dawn Knight texture (along with Wave's respective sword, hair, and upper neck cloth change) worked fine. I've now been using Melee Ganondorf and it's still been perfectly.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Okay so, I was playing Olimar in B- trying to use him like an actual character (which, if you know anything about Olimar-, it's that he isn't a character, but rather a moving spawn point for infinitely damaging minions) and I came up with an idea for Olimar in Project M.

Olimar carries only one Pikmin at a time with him. If Pikmin survivability could be increased, it would be even better

Neutral B kills the Pikmin currently with Olimar and replaces it with a new one randomly picked, or, if he has none with him, simply gives him a Pikmin (I'm not sure if killing Pikmin is possible but I would think it would be as simple as causing the Pikmin die action to take place when he presses it.)

Side B acts as when Kirby throws a Pikmin, causing slight knockback.

Down B maybe reflect projectiles on the whistle animation

Up B simply a standardized recovery with Olimar flinging upward with his current Pikmin in hand.

I hope something to this effect is possible.

Because Jesus Christ it's hard to work around Olimar's design.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Will every character be able to moonwalk to an extent? Or, is it only limited to Falcon and Sonic?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if every character had a custom animation for their wavedashes? I just thought it would be more aesthetically pleasing than just seeing them kind of scoot around while making a jumping noise. (At least, in Melee, there was a puff of smoke.) :ohwell:

An example would be for Mario's wavedash, him doing a front or back hand spring. This isn't really a request, just tossing it out there.
Support this.

Okay so, I was playing Olimar in B- trying to use him like an actual character (which, if you know anything about Olimar-, it's that he isn't a character, but rather a moving spawn point for infinitely damaging minions) and I came up with an idea for Olimar in Project M.

Olimar carries only one Pikmin at a time with him. If Pikmin survivability could be increased, it would be even better

Neutral B kills the Pikmin currently with Olimar and replaces it with a new one randomly picked, or, if he has none with him, simply gives him a Pikmin (I'm not sure if killing Pikmin is possible but I would think it would be as simple as causing the Pikmin die action to take place when he presses it.)

Side B acts as when Kirby throws a Pikmin, causing slight knockback.

Down B maybe reflect projectiles on the whistle animation

Up B simply a standardized recovery with Olimar flinging upward with his current Pikmin in hand.

I hope something to this effect is possible.

Because Jesus Christ it's hard to work around Olimar's design.
Also support this.
It's a shame Olimar has to be altered for being too different though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom