• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
do you know if you played it on the stream setup? I'm pretty sure I went through and grabbed all of the tourney sets from the stream
Yeah, it should've been on the stream setup; it would've been the match directly before my set in LF with Kels. It's not a big deal if you can't find it :).

Metroid, how do you know when to use a nair/other move to reset your chain grab? Is it on the fly or practiced?
I had to practice that one. NAir works on Fox slightly above 50% because it starts behind Ike's head, but you can probably do it earlier if your timing is right.

metroid1117

Smash Master
What do you use for practicing your followups᠀ just friendlies, punching bag cpus, or a bit of both? My only playerbase being my roommate that only serves to accustom me to bad habits gets tiresome.
Yeah, it's a little bit of both. For that specific follow-up, I went to Training Mode and set the AI to "Run" to practice chain-grabs and resets in general. Training Mode doesn't tell you if you grabbed during hitstun, but you can get an idea by looking at the CPU. For grab combos like FThrow/BThrow/DThrow -> DACUS/BAir, I practice that in Training Mode with no DI and during friendlies with Nap.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks for the tips, 'troid. I may stream some Zard labwork trying to find grab followups now lol.
I don't think Charizard's BThrow has any guaranteed follow-ups with proper DI, but I hope for our sakes that I'm wrong. BThrow -> DTilt is pretty good if you get your opponent off-stage with the BThrow though.

Oracle

Smash Master
I don't think Charizard's BThrow has any guaranteed follow-ups with proper DI, but I hope for our sakes that I'm wrong. BThrow -> DTilt is pretty good if you get your opponent off-stage with the BThrow though.
you can frame trap pretty easily if you throw them offstage. A lot of characters get put in a bad position by ding the bthrow down and away off stage and can't afford to fall before jumping, so you just fair or nair right above their head. worst case scenario they still have to recover so you should be able to get back

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
We're assuming strong proper DI though, which causes a groundslam with his B-throw. F-throw to my recollection is terribly slow to end and devoid of followups, and then there's the guessing game that comes with using his D-throw that usually ends up being "D-smash with slightly different timings."

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
ALSO, imo bthrow->ftilt is better than bthrow dtilt when bthrow sends them offstage, (is ftilt faster than dtilt? someone confirm)
I'll get right on that, but I recall D-tilt hitting sooner.

D-tilt "hits" on frame 8, but doesn't get into the relevant Z-plane until frame 9. Bair has a similar situation and I assume it only hits when it does to allow interpolation.

F-tilt hits on frame 9 plainly, and reaches max range on frame 10.

Kati

Smash Lord
I'm liking this Charizard talk. Remember rocksmash? wow.. this mod has come a long way.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I heard all this talk about shield-push-back being broken because/for Ike...
Then I saw 10 seconds of your Ike getting hit by this thing called Peach Down Smash...
lol

Spidermad, just get used to hammering that shield button. It can be annoying (try playing Lucario and fight sand-bags doing his Aura Charge Cancelling on everything, and you'll probably get used to it faster, and yet probably be even MORE adamant about light-shield pressing haha)
Light Shield + Normal Shield would be sexy too, but as far as button sensitivity goes for dodging/other inputs, just play with what you have as if it's all you have. The sensitivity thing can be obnoxious for everything from pivots (if you're coming from Melee) to simply ledge-dropping at the earliest chance. Worth with what you have, if you can. If things change, cool, but just think of how easy it'll be to play with light-shield press/1 frame buffer (if that helps you too) if you're perfect without it? ;)

We have a couple newer locals that play Ivy, and I've always thought Marth slaughtered her/it. Never worked with her myself, but it was good to see that match-up with 2 competent sides.
Good choice against Wario at this point too.
Seth caught him with a D-Tilt when dashing across the stage away from him like once every STOCK. Simply leading to cross-court loss of stage control entirely. XD
Does Reflex play Melee at all? I don't think I saw him shield much (which is essential against Marth really), and even less, I don't think he ONCE Wave-Dashed out of his shield when getting hit with any ranged hit. Always jumping out to try challenging with an aerial or get away, getting hit by an aerial at last. You can't do that against Marth, sadface. Maybe he hadn't faced Marth enough to experience the aerial disjoints and speed, maybe now though? :/
Good to see that stuff. Fun to see after seeing them play half a year ago. Big changes are good.

Ivy looks sooo weirrrrrrrd....
What's the timing of the Tap-Charge thing?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Shielding is not a very viable option in that MU for Wario or Ivy. Ivy's best try would to be already facing and shielding backwards, so she could Bair OOS. Wario doesn't have an answer if Marth spaces a move well against his shield, or Fairs in place/retreated which Sethlon had plenty of. Coupled with Marth having a better grab range and it's hard to justify shielding over movement of some kind.

Shielding against Marth works best if you have the ground speed to close the gap initially against him, that pressures him to mistime the Fair (or the ground option). Wario and Ivy don't have that, and both defensively don't handle it exceptionally well by shielding. Someone like Shiek is a prime candidate for shielding against Marth.

Oracle

Smash Master
shielding is good against marth with those chars but only if you know for a fact that marth is attacking. otherwise prepare for trouble

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You're just a walking ball of theory-craft eh DMG? haha
Why do you think this is not the case in 2013?
these sets are terrifying
it's like someone is playing marth how he was played in 2007
People learned some 'stuff' ... part of which is shielding attack > getting hit.
When someone is playing a certain way, and you play in a way that it works, what do you expect?
The dynamics of how Wario/Ivy can deal with this (just like Jiggs/Peach at some point) is still developing. One thing that's certain, shielding hits > getting hit. Nothing much to it there. WDOOS happens to be the best way out of it too, instead of jumping into Fair walls when the player isn't DDing to bother grabbing (why should he if you're not shielding anything). lol

I can't believe how often my posts are taken like rocket science.

Edit: I should clear this up a bit.
You don't need 'ground-speed to close the gap' to simply not get hit by Fair by shielding, which Marth 'will' hit you with given his speed and range. Hence shield = not primarily for offense. That's the joy of fighting Marth. Not getting hit by his speed and range, and acting in a way that won't get you grabbed by him baiting you to shield when he doesn't hit you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's not the joy of fighting Marth, that's the ****in terror.

All I'm saying is that if the character *should* decline using their strongest traits, and instead play a RPS game with shielding that is already skewed quite a bit against their favor, that things don't sound very optimistic for that MU.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Especially when you're heavy with a sexy d-tilt (and grab). Too easy to pass up. *Wariocough

Edit: This kind of ties into the whole 'WDOOS and don't jump into ****' topic. Staying grounded isn't bad, but afraiding of ground is a nono when somebody is around who likes to swat things.
Even without 'ground-speed' approaching on ground (especially against old-school Marth haha) is juicy.
Being comfortable with Shield is a big part of that afraiding I think.
Reflex could seriously use some WDOOS. So much damage taken from jumping out of that thing after getting hasty with aerial approaches that get stuffed. :/

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
"don't get hit"

words to live by

ps too bad megabus doesn't go to Texas from Washington

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
All the posts since my most recent post are funny and good, and I like it.
I enjoy this thread.
Afraiding = Not being absolutely completely comfortable with something in a certain environment, and simply not doing it, whether consciously or not, due to that discomfort and partial unfamiliarity with the sensations that come from the event action when it arises for the given person who has to deal with it.
At least that's how use the 'word' haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom