• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I hate playing on PS1 because of the Rock and Fire transformations.
They interrupt gameplay and kill momentum almost every time. Most people just accept it as is because of Melee's stagelist. Melee didn't really have better stage options. We do. Not only do we have better options in general, but we can fix what needs fixing. If you can make PS1 a better stage why wouldn't you?
Getting rid of the Rock and Fire transformations is an easy fix, but hardly the best. Making the transformations playable would clearly be the best option.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I hate playing on PS1 because of the Rock and Fire transformations.
They interrupt gameplay and kill momentum almost every time. Most people just accept it as is because of Melee's stagelist. Melee didn't really have better stage options. We do. Not only do we have better options in general, but we can fix what needs fixing. If you can make PS1 a better stage why wouldn't you?
Getting rid of the Rock and Fire transformations is an easy fix, but hardly the best. Making the transformations playable would clearly be the best option.
Must we make every stage legal? I mean if someone wants to make a modified more legal PS1 go ahead, but I don't want it to be forced on to a new version of PM.

And though Rock can interrupt momentum, sometimes it can add to it as well.

Kati

Smash Lord
The rock can't be taken out, while the tree can and produces great results. I have considered taking ps2's rock field, but have yet to do any research on the matter.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Even at a casual level, the rock transformation is absurdly annoying. Its big, dumb and block-y, and kills the momentum in every match that its in. The fire one does it on a similar level but not quite as bad. I really like the idea of the Pokemon stadiums as stages, but PS1 really needs a fix. Not to much just to be "competitive" but to at least stop the giant mess of a stage that pops up called the rock transformation.

I don't think the rock transformation is at all fixable, I think its a stupid idea in general. The fire transformation on the other hand would be perfectly find if the tree was in the background (ala the windmill on the water transformation)

And if the PMBR could take inspiration from the vBrawl version of PS2, they should take the Ice transformation (obviously sans slippery effects) or possibly the ground transformation. If that's even possible.

I hate the bloody rock transformation.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
There needs to be a legal stage with some lovable slippery ice effect (modified Ps1) to make WD to Rest with Jiggs combos n stuff.

Tried to hack my phone today (Unlock bootloader>Root>Custom ROM) couldn't even get my phone recognized in fastboot for the unlock bootloader step involving the command prompt to work. I'll test using the Linux method tomorrow (through live USB).

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It is a proposal for a Summit replacement I threw together when Smashmods was existent.

The idea was to have a normal main stage, and either icy platforms, or just have the outer two platforms icy. The inward slope of the platforms are to both give it a little flavor and prevent too many ledge jankiness that would occur from a flat or outward sloped platform in conjunction with slippery edge cancels.

The fog and stuff was just to make it look cooler.

Kati

Smash Lord
We could use Hope4newday's ice stage as a base for that idea of yours Kink. His currently has two stationary smashville platforms, but the primary platform is very similar to your picture's.

edit*

And by "we could" I mean that I'm doing that right now. Expect something by the weekend.

Kati

Smash Lord
I was planning on shrinking Hope's version anyways, but I didn't think of using the slanted platforms.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm not 100% sure on the collisions of the underside, but if I had to choose I would say the walls would be as such:

So yes, they're a bit lopsided, but not entirely as jagged as the jutting rocks supporting the stage might imply.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I have considered taking ps2's rock field, but have yet to do any research on the matter.
This would be a good way to finish the project. It really still isn't viable even with so much work going into it. Any obstruction as game-changing as a giant rock protrusion is still a hindrance to balance in a major way. At least in a competition-viable sense.

You've done so much for it already, so it would be great if you can go all the way with it. If it's too much to tackle, I'll look into it once I get my old hard-drive info back up and running.

-Bamesy

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I'm not 100% sure on the collisions of the underside, but if I had to choose I would say the walls would be as such:

So yes, they're a bit lopsided, but not entirely as jagged as the jutting rocks supporting the stage might imply.
Yeah, that's fine then. I just wanted to make sure that the walls weren't the bright white part only.

Kati

Smash Lord
With Hope's platform, the underside is so close to the bottom boundary that the jaggedness doesn't come into play. Actually, the collisions only reflect the jagged contour on the far left; everything else is smooth. Also, I can just as easily increase it's "height" so that the bottom stretches even further down.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3206/al1206200032binout.jpg
(for referense, I think the polar bear is roughly ganon's height; the platforms are at least as high as dreamland's)

It turns out that hope just released a new version of his stage, so I think I'll play it first before carrying on with the edits.

@Bamesy, I imported the model into ps1, and it seems to fit without needing to stretch it. I haven't tested it yet though. Also, I updated the brawlvault entries to have your name's proper spelling, and I took another look at kj64, and you were right, the rounded corners were miniscule (at least compared to my other stages with the same edit).

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
With Hope's platform, the underside is so close to the bottom boundary that the jaggedness doesn't come into play. Actually, the collisions only reflect the jagged contour on the far left; everything else is smooth. Also, I can just as easily increase it's "height" so that the bottom stretches even further down.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3206/al1206200032binout.jpg
(for referense, I think the polar bear is roughly ganon's height; the platforms are at least as high as dreamland's)

It turns out that hope just released a new version of his stage, so I think I'll play it first before carrying on with the edits.

@Bamesy, I imported the model into ps1, and it seems to fit without needing to stretch it. I haven't tested it yet though. Also, I updated the brawlvault entries to have your name's proper spelling, and I took another look at kj64, and you were right, the rounded corners were miniscule (at least compared to my other stages with the same edit).
That Summit is Hope's stage? Or is that something else? We use it locally usually, but I always thought it was a Mewtwo200 stage, or whatever his name is.
There are a few stages that have platform height issues that would LOVE some adjusting. I'm sure a shrunk Rumble Falls is bound to come up sooner or later. If not, I'll be getting to work on things like that. DC, SSE, etc are all great stages that grew too much. (lol just like the Kongo platform thing I guess)

I saw a sweet Mario themed stage with Cloud platforms recently, and it had a similar issue too. People just love modding in high platforms...

That's awesome with the PS1 thing. Hope to play it soon! Don't worry about credit stuff, you can take full credit for everything I do if you want. I don't do anything complicated beyond basic adjustments to existing things that others do. Whether it's special customized Norfair's or the classic Yoshi's Story things. You know what's up and I know things will be in good hands with you regarding stages for BrawlVault and editing stuff.
What other stages did you do that edge-edit for? Existing PM stages or other converted things?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So i'm finally getting back into smash after like a 2 month break in which I only came back to support the melee fund for evo. Has there been any huge upsets at PM Tourney's of late? Post Apex.

Also, what character has been getting the most flack? Who's the 2.1 Ike, is basically what I'm asking. I want to get back into the scene soon, wondering whats changed.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
On the topic of PS1 transformations, I have to agree with plum, it feels like all the rock transformation does is kill momentum and invite a 90 second camping spree. The stage's concept, however, I feel is unique and shouldn't be replaced by yet another tri-platform battlefield-like stage. Szasz on brawlvault made an edit that keeps the stage and it's transformations, but makes it flow a little smoother. (link:http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=30853)
I feel like something along those lines would work best.

Also hi Alex

Kati

Smash Lord
I'm Szasz. He was a cool guy who didn't afraid of anything. He proved that mental institutions were fraudulant by first infiltrating them and being "cured," and then claiming he would do it again. When the institutions bragged that they had caught people faking mental illness, he revealed that he had been bluffing and that there was no second wave... so he fooled them twice... harhar...
Victor Zsazs from the batman universe is based off of him, as he is a straight up sociopath in a world of super villains.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the rock field can't stay... I'm definitely going to work for ps2's rock field, and if that works, I'll try other modes from ps2.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Social thread? I guess this is acceptably on-topic.
WHERE ARE THE SPOILERS TAGS/HOW?

I'm surely gonna need those at some point. haha

Where were you, still talking on Smashmods till now or something?

I played 2.5 the day it came out with the locals, then everyone (including me) quickly disbanded and went traveling to various places. We re-collected slowly over the course of February and I went to a Vipassana meditation retreat with some of them, came back and was updating all my stage edits, character textures, etc, to PM 2.5b, when my laptop power supply exploded (when there was no info on any SD Card coincidentally [we used a projector for watching a Pixar + Studio Ghibli marathon and it was too much to handle for it]) so went another month or so talking to some friends about what kind of computer I should build. One of them helped me figure it out while the other hard-wired my hard-drive to get the info off it, now I highjack my brother's computer to do anything until I commit to a power-supply purchase or build the new one. In the meantime we did other things as a community, such as order Dazzle, Evo donating, started an Urban Spin Farming business, but now that my day-job alternates with by brother's, I have more time for computer work. After realizing I had about a dozen messages from various people about various things, I figured it was time to join the community again. My old Smashboards account wouldn't let me log in, though I'm sure I remember the user/pass, so I made this one, but thought it would be confusing to just jump back in without slowly lurking a bit to figure out this new site-layout. Considering I've only played 2.5 up to now, and not much at all, I have nothing more to contribute than the same normal stuff I used to. (Work with Awareness ****it!) so there's no reason for me to get heavily involved yet. Even with that, my first posts were a little too 'ranting' and used a lot of big words with little tl;dr, which immediately meant I needed to take a step back and re-adjust to more broad forum dialect/communication and showed me lack of sharpness in my own awareness, so already learned a lesson from it. Until I get my own hard-drive sorted out and re-organized, I have no modded material accessible to upload that the community could use either, so nobody can use my help here for more than anything but the same old stuff I mentioned then. Seeds have hopefully been planted already, and I trust the development team, love the community, and have excessive faith in people.

Why am I even here at all? You got this!

In other news, DAT threads are cute. Maybe shrunk-down versions that are more generalized + more specific would be beneficial, as there are few who bother articulating that type of thing, and few who type fast enough to do massive amounts in a single sitting... we'll see.

There, you got a life-story. That enough info? lol

Meanwhile, Smashmods shutting down was a little surprise, and hi.

So i'm finally getting back into smash after like a 2 month break in which I only came back to support the melee fund for evo. Has there been any huge upsets at PM Tourney's of late? Post Apex.

Also, what character has been getting the most flack? Who's the 2.1 Ike, is basically what I'm asking. I want to get back into the scene soon, wondering whats changed.
Still seems like nobody likes Lucas, Luigi, Pikachu, Peach, Wolf, GW, DK, or half the roster really.

Sonic is getting attention in 2.5 but wasn't in 2.1? Is he better now or something? I thought he was considered good, what's with the buff (if that's what it was) and how so?

Project M is fun. The new characters bring a diversity of extremes to the roster that were absent in 2.1, un-generalizing the game a bit which is nice. The few interesting things I found in 2.5 (even some from 2.1) remained, which I went over on Smods are still around, which is interesting. But a few changed, including the stage-strike thing thanks to the new code by Magnus. Still haven't played enough to really check everything out, but the stages haven't had enough work. At least, not enough work has been published in the game to test out, which is a bit interesting in itself. The only test-subject seems to be a doubles-only-Norfair with a randomly flipping top platform. Just means I have to get to work and shouldn't be on here anymore...

Kati, cool, I'll check that out.
Do you mean the stationary Orpheon on the slightly larger 2nd phase of it with no side scrolling platforms? I think that's the one I was involved with and there's no rising platform in it. Though maybe that influenced other versions.

I have some EPIC textures for that altered Orpheon somewhere. I'll have to dig those up and mod them sometime in the near-distant future.

Edit: I was reading that as SK for the longest time, got so confused with the 9K wtf comment.
Now I see he's likable, not scary at all. <3

MaxThunder

PM Support
Social thread? I guess this is acceptably on-topic.
WHERE ARE THE SPOILERS TAGS/HOW?

I'm surely gonna need those at some point. haha

I played 2.5 the day it came out with the locals, then everyone (including me) quickly disbanded and went traveling to various places. We re-collected slowly over the course of February and I went to a Vipassana meditation retreat with some of them, came back and was updating all my stage edits, character textures, etc, to PM 2.5b, when my laptop power supply exploded (when there was no info on any SD Card coincidentally [we used a projector for watching a Pixar + Studio Ghibli marathon and it was too much to handle for it]) so went another month or so talking to some friends about what kind of computer I should build. One of them helped me figure it out while the other hard-wired my hard-drive to get the info off it, now I highjack my brother's computer to do anything until I commit to a power-supply purchase or build the new one. In the meantime we did other things as a community, such as order Dazzle, Evo donating, started an Urban Spin Farming business, but now that my day-job alternates with by brother's, I have more time for computer work. After realizing I had about a dozen messages from various people about various things, I figured it was time to join the community again. My old Smashboards account wouldn't let me log in, though I'm sure I remember the user/pass, so I made this one, but thought it would be confusing to just jump back in without slowly lurking a bit to figure out this new site-layout. Considering I've only played 2.5 up to now, and not much at all, I have nothing more to contribute than the same normal stuff I used to. (Work with Awareness ****it!) so there's no reason for me to get heavily involved yet. Even with that, my first posts were a little too 'ranting' and used a lot of big words with little tl;dr, which immediately meant I needed to take a step back and re-adjust to more broad forum dialect/communication and showed me lack of sharpness in my own awareness, so already learned a lesson from it. Until I get my own hard-drive sorted out and re-organized, I have no modded material accessible to upload that the community could use either, so nobody can use my help here for more than anything but the same old stuff I mentioned then. Seeds have hopefully been planted already, and I trust the development team, love the community, and have excessive faith in people.

Why am I even here at all? You got this!

In other news, DAT threads are cute. Maybe shrunk-down versions that are more generalized + more specific would be beneficial, as there are few who bother articulating that type of thing, and few who type fast enough to do massive amounts in a single sitting... we'll see.

There, you got a life-story. That enough info? lol

Meanwhile, Smashmods shutting down was a little surprise, and hi.

Still seems like nobody likes Lucas, Luigi, Pikachu, Peach, Wolf, GW, DK, or half the roster really.

Sonic is getting attention in 2.5 but wasn't in 2.1? Is he better now or something? I thought he was considered good, what's with the buff (if that's what it was) and how so?

Project M is fun. The new characters bring a diversity of extremes to the roster that were absent in 2.1, un-generalizing the game a bit which is nice. The few interesting things I found in 2.5 (even some from 2.1) remained, which I went over on Smods are still around, which is interesting. But a few changed, including the stage-strike thing thanks to the new code by Magnus. Still haven't played enough to really check everything out, but the stages haven't had enough work. At least, not enough work has been published in the game to test out, which is a bit interesting in itself. The only test-subject seems to be a doubles-only-Norfair with a randomly flipping top platform. Just means I have to get to work and shouldn't be on here anymore...

Kati, cool, I'll check that out.
Do you mean the stationary Orpheon on the slightly larger 2nd phase of it with no side scrolling platforms? I think that's the one I was involved with and there's no rising platform in it. Though maybe that influenced other versions.

I have some EPIC textures for that altered Orpheon somewhere. I'll have to dig those up and mod them sometime in the near-distant future.

Edit: I was reading that as SK for the longest time, got so confused with the 9K wtf comment.
Now I see he's likable, not scary at all. <3
Lol magnus=)... It's IE who made that code i think, BTW..

Magus420

Smash Master
2.5 had the original striking code of IE's, and 2.5b used a new striking code that I had made rather differently. The differences were:

-Now works with any SSS layout
-Stage strikes now work on page 2
-Stage strikes are now saved between page switches
-Stages will now only be struck with X if they are actually highlighted (no striking the most recent stage while highlighting Random/Page)
-Random now takes both page's strikes into consideration
-Doesn't needlessly write to the game's save data when picking Random then attempt to (and sometimes fail to) restore it later, so it no longer messes up your random stage switch settings by selecting Random on page 2/3
-Number of stages on page now determined properly, so changing from page 1->2->1 then being able to strike off the Page 2 icon and crash the game is no longer possible
-Code is 40% shorter

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Seeing how I'm picking up C++, it's really easy to appreciate work like this done to a game without the source code. I tried looking up how to approach ASM but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

leelue

Smash Lord
Take 2.1 Sonic, slow down his ability to spin by a tad, take him from "best nonpuff recovery in the game" to "amazing recovery", and then buff almost every other possible thing about him.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I feel like you'd have very little trouble picking up any language just because you'd be working with a more understandable extension of the same concepts. I look at ASM and I maybe partially understand a little bit of what's going on; it's as low-level as you can get. I don't get how you guys make half of what you do out of it though. It's nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom