• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyTheBrokeMonarch

Smash Cadet
Confirmed games for EVO 2013:
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Mortal Kombat 9
Street Fighter X Tekken 2013
King of Fighters XIII
Persona 4 Area

No Melee lol

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping the P:M team can find a way to bring Melee tethering back.
The only thing I've been wondering is how it'll work for some of the Brawl characters, like Olimar, Ivysaur, and ZSS.

I wonder if they could find a way to give Melee tethers only to certain characters (Samus, the Links, and maybe Lucas), and leave everyone else's tethers (namely, the characters who have special moves that funciton as tethers) as they are. What do you guys think?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The social thread isn't stickied anymore?
There isn't a point really. It's the most active thread on smashboards you don't have to worry about it dying. There are already a lot of stickies.

leelue

Smash Lord
Personally, I want tethering back. It improved recoveries in terms of distance and variability and it was always fun to use, worth it or not. I'd like to have it return in PM if it's within the realm of possibility in terms of coding.
On most stages, brawl tethers are superior just by the virtue of there being no walls there. I just don't like it when people ignore pointing that out.

Do we know all of the 16 current competitors in the pm tourney? I wish I could've gone...

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Strong Bad I see you on the Awesome Games Done Quick stream. What game are you running?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I'm really hoping the P:M team can find a way to bring Melee tethering back.
The only thing I've been wondering is how it'll work for some of the Brawl characters, like Olimar, Ivysaur, and ZSS.

I wonder if they could find a way to give Melee tethers only to certain characters (Samus, the Links, and maybe Lucas), and leave everyone else's tethers (namely, the characters who have special moves that funciton as tethers) as they are. What do you guys think?
The thing is, you're talking about giving characters who have Zairs, non auto sweetspot tethers. That presents a pretty significant issue, if you ask me. Either you give them tethers that are long enough to make them useful for recovering, OR you take away their Zair, because having it long enough to recover with would give them an insane spacing option with zair.

As they are now, however, you have both a reasonable Zair, and they stretch a good distance in order to sweetspot the ledge.

The only way to make it work well, would be to have the tether stretch out to "sweetspot" walls, in general. I imagine that this is where they are running into problems, in coding it.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Strong Bad I see you on the Awesome Games Done Quick stream. What game are you running?
He isn't running anything. StrongBad is at AGDQ because it's so close (timewise) to apex, so he's hanging out there until that starts up. He's got quite a few friends in the speedrunning community so yeah. Just hanging out till apex comes around- not actually running anything :b (although he did play a bit of sonic3&knuckles with werster).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
No amount of 'make-up benefits' would actually make up for the loss of Samus' Melee tether. That's a lot of recovery distance and flexibility being lost right there. :smash:

Edit: So, whenever I try to quote DMG's post that says "Make TL's Upb in general slightly better for recovering. Make it linger more horizontally, which shouldn't affect bomb jumping much (might make it slight easier)," I get:
I like the victory poses and idle animation. The up taunt could be changed, but the tasty is gold. Other than that, I think he needs a taunt that involves the gun or something.
Edit 2: Actually, trying to quote him constantly switches back and forth between that and:
I'm always mad, duh.
Lolz, what's going on with SWF's server movement? :smash:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
****ing hell that avatar is awesome. Used to gave dreads 3 months back and wore them almost always in that kinda beenie as Diddy has on it. Damn, makes me miss them even more...

Project M is awesome btw. Keep up the good work and all.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
@PrivateJoker: The solution to that problem is easy actually, and, surprise, surprise, it comes straight from Melee. Put a little lag on zair landings, the long zairs at least.

@Leelue: Off the top of my head (I'm not turning on my game just for this), I believe around half of all the "competitive stages" (page 1) in P:M 2.5 have walls a considerable distance below the ledge to make Melee tethers more useful when it comes to distance (and the priceless ability to recover from a lower position than is possible with Brawl tethers as well as some Melee tether specific techs, especially Samus'). Also avoids the problem of 'place hitbox HERE between tetherer and ledge > auto-edgeguard > profit'.

leelue

Smash Lord
I only pointed out that it isn't all upside, as it seems to be implied when people bring it up without mentioning the upside of being able to recover on the most popular stage in the game: smashville.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Is it possible to code in diminishing returns on invincibility granted by grabbing the ledge?

I would like to see the amount of invincibility frames drop everytime you grab the ledge without landing on stage again. This would not affect using the invincibility to edgeguard, only stop excessive ledge camping or Planking.

If you have the lead, go ahead and camp all you want (or even if you don't have the lead if you want to), but I think eventually people should be encouraged to come up on stage. remember, they still don't have to, it just becomes more and more risky. This is not something new to smash either, as walljumps work this way.

What do you guys think?

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Is it possible to code in diminishing returns on invincibility granted by grabbing the ledge?

I would like to see the amount of invincibility frames drop everytime you grab the ledge without landing on stage again. This would not affect using the invincibility to edgeguard, only stop excessive ledge camping or Planking.

If you have the lead, go ahead and camp all you want (or even if you don't have the lead if you want to), but I think eventually people should be encouraged to come up on stage. remember, they still don't have to, it just becomes more and more risky. This is not something new to smash either, as walljumps work this way.

What do you guys think?
Then glorious things like this wouldn't be able to happen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPk1MRX0SD4

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Not Melee. Invalidated. :troll:

Hey, does anyone know if the Character Suggestion threads from Smods will be ported over to SWF?
They opened back up for a week so people could take information from them, they aren't getting ported.

shanus

Smash Hero
i kind of hate having to look down the page for this though, hylian. Any chance this could be restickied?

JOE!

Smash Hero
I am -loving- Ivysaur, and Charizard is great now! Can't really decide between them.. probably main Ivy and secondary Charizard... any other former PT mains having trouble with Squirtle though?

Oh, and before I forget (and with Shadic's permission), you guys ever think about who'll be in the next smash, or even how vets like Roy and Mewtwo could be re-imagined? Or better yet, ever imagine characters who'd have 0 chance of being in smash, actually being playable? If you have ever thought about it, check out what's in the box below!

[collapse=A little something to do between updates]

"MYM" for short, a forum contest that has been around since before Brawl was even announced is looking for more members!

And who better than the biggest smash fans around? The premise is simple: MYM is a Fantasy Moveset Design Contest where you make up a moveset for any character you want, and we mean any character. It can be from Nintendo, Video Games in general, TV/Movies/Comics/Manga, somebody even made a set for a candybar once!

The contest part comes near the end where everybody gets to vote on the sets they liked the best and create the Top 50, a sort of results list (more on that in the thread). Those who place highly get special avatar and signature awards, and the overall winner even gets to be in charge of the next contest!

Feel free to stop by the thread by clicking on the big picture above, where you can find our Community Blogs, Chat Room and all sorts of other cool info in the OP.

Need more info on how to make a moveset? Check out the tutorial!

If you'd rather check out the sets seen above, click the box below!
[collapse=Set examples]

| Feraligatr is part of Ace Trainer JOE!, a fully fleshed team of 6 playable Pokemon that is the next evolution of Smash's Pokemon Trainer. | The Soldier from Team Fortress2 is part of a "movement" by a group of MYM'ers to create all of the classes, and comes with his own unique game mode! | SKull Kid from Majora's Mask has always been a fan-favorite villain, check out how he's been portrayed!
[/collapse]

In the end, it's all for fun and it's always cool to jump in on one of SWF's oldest running forum games. Stop by and check out some of the creative character designs made by forum-goers just like you!
[/collapse]

(If you'd like more info, shoot me a PM or post in that thread, try not to clog up here with talk of it since this is for P:M. Just thought I'd share a part of the SWF community to this one :) )​

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i kind of hate having to look down the page for this though, hylian. Any chance this could be restickied?
So many stickies already :/. Try subbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom