• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
3-0 motha****a
You are my hard counter :(. Well DK in general is lol I can't beat you or geno at all :/ even though I can always beat everyone else at the tournament lol. STAY OUT OF MY BRACKETS

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I can't even begin to imagine how weak the move was in Melee if the knockback values are otherwise identical then. 2% has a pretty drastic affect on knockback.

You guys suuuure 64 fair was too much of a problematic move?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't understand how Link could lose to DK. Not trying to rag on Hylian, just legitimately curious how Link could have a tough time with DK. Link has so much going for him against fatties.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DK has nice stuff on Link, being able to get easy DK punch out of Cargo (DI at certain % doesn't matter I believe) takes away the Link recovery stuff. Down B range is huge gives him an option to compete on the ground.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I agree. I'd think the Link vs DK matchup would be very much in Link's favor.

Hylian vs DK though is another story.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't think link can be campy against Dk, link is very slow and DK is one of the fastest characters. Dash attack clanks with links rang, and DK can CC every single one of links moves till around 60-80%. The CC is what really kills link, it stops all of his set-ups, even out of tech chases and lets DK get a grab. At low %'s DK can fthrow/bthrow chaingrab link into uthrow uair/bair/nair. One more grab after that it's uthrow ->fair which kills link around 70-80% and is unavoidable no matter the DI. The best you can hope for is to DI to get spiked.

I've played against strongbad in 3 tournament sets and my roommate plays DK and is very very good(better than me probably). I have a TON of experience vs DK. I know how to DI everything well, I know all of his combos, and I know how to combo the **** out of him. I can't really combo him though because of crouch cancelling. The chaingrab on DK is also very hard and risky to do(if you miss you die pretty much). DK's bair lets him get free grabs on link and his nair is crazy as well.

I don't think it's unwinnable for link, but I definitely have trouble against DK and would love to see another link do well against Strongbad/Geno. Dk is just so fast he really shuts down links camping game and DK combos link better than link combos DK and DK lives longer so I don't really understand the impression people have that Link beats DK >_>.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Link has so much going for him against fatties.
Actually, DDD does pretty well vs Link, and I'm confident that 2.5 ROB and Zard don't have that bad of time against Link as well. DK gets wrecked by Link however; I'm sure that Hylian's trouble with that particular MU is the result of a mental block, as Eli stated.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You people are crazy >_>. Did you watch the videos? I don't understand how someone could think link beats dk in any sort of way after thinking about the match-up.

And link's cg against DK sucks. It's like a 1 frame window from 30-70%, and then is hardish till 100% and then really easy from 100-140%. Not reliable at all.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
You people are crazy >_>. Did you watch the videos? I don't understand how someone could think link beats dk in any sort of way after thinking about the match-up.

And link's cg against DK sucks. It's like a 1 frame window from 30-70%, and then is hardish till 100% and then really easy from 100-140%. Not reliable at all.
it's honestly kind of hard to watch those videos... no offense to you, i'm quite sure you didn't purposely record them all janky. they're just... recorded all janky : /

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
it's honestly kind of hard to watch those videos... no offense to you, i'm quite sure you didn't purposely record them all janky. they're just... recorded all janky : /
I didn't record them.

[yt]NohUa8ay4KE[/yt]

It's watchable at least.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I don't know Hylian, it still seems like you don't have a full grasp on PM Link, going for boomerang when it was still refreshing right off the bat, trying to get consecutive hits where they don't work, and repeating attacks when they fail the first time (U-tilt in particular). I can be guilty of the latter myself, but again it's a just reflection of the time players like us get to spend playing the game with lab hours and regular practice.

It's no offense to you, and I sympathise, because I'm in basically the same boat with regards to frequency of playing and access to a player base.

Good CP choice going to Green Tunic Zone though.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I don't really think it's so much that he hasn't got a grasp on P:M Link. Hylian is the best P:M Link I've seen.

I think he's just currently unsure of what to do to DK to stop all his shenanigans. DK also got buffed a considerable amount and is very good at being an overwhelming monster now, something I don't think anyone is used to yet, and you really don't see very many DK players to start because no one wants to play the guy no matter how good he gets.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
You both played very well. I just think you'd benefit from being more campy. You said you can't really camp DK with Link but I strongly disagree. Maybe not on like Yoshi's Story or something. But Castlevania would be a good CP. Even Battlefield would be good.

You could stand to throw more boomerangs (imo Link's best move). Less grounded up-b's. No doubt that a dash dancing DK is extremely scary, but if he can't get a grab on you he's a monkey in a barrel. (Yes I actually said those words.)

Just fall back and throw more boomerangs and patiently wait for an opportunity to get in and do your combos. You already got all the combos down pretty well. Although you might wanna throw a LOT more n-airs in there, especially from d-throws.

Led-Zeppelin

Smash Apprentice
does anyone here have a wii friend code? i wanna play P:M with someone over wifi, ive never done it.

MaxThunder

PM Support

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I play against a really good DK all the time. I have more DK experience than probably anyone playing PM right now :/.

I think I have a very good grasp on Link. I don't think other people do which is why I think people are disagreeing with me. Any of you want to show me some top level link vs dk videos? Or play against SB with link?

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I play against a really good DK all the time. I have more DK experience than probably anyone playing PM right now :/.

I think I have a very good grasp on Link. I don't think other people do which is why I think people are disagreeing with me. Any of you want to show me some top level link vs dk videos? Or play against SB with link?
Strong Bad will be at my house 1 week from now. I'll play him with my Link.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Strong Bad will be at my house 1 week from now. I'll play him with my Link.
Sounds good! Make sure you record them so I can learn something lol.

Everything people are telling me I've already thought of and tried countless times :/. Like.. literally everything. My roommate mains dk lol. I just playing with him again 10 minutes ago, and tried nothing but running away and it was even worse :/. If DK just PS's or clanks my rang I'm screwed. I appreciate everyone giving advice though I read all of it like 10 times.

Did you watch my other video vs darkatma kinklink? I literally beat every single person I play except dk mains :/.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I think there are 3 things you need to work on. Your neutral game, your punishes, and your edgeguarding vs DK. In the neutral game, I literally never see you attempt to grab, or even pivot grab approaches for that matter (which really surprises me considering you are a brawl player). In addition, you do too many unsafe moves; see dash attack/uptilt/upB, on peoples shields. If you want to apply pressure, Fair has really really really good pressure, it even feels like it might put you at frame advantage (kind of like a low to the ground Knee from Falcon) Fair is also safe from CC if you space and do another move right away, whether it be retreating nair, another fair, or even grab/pivot grab (I wouldn't recommend doing most ground moves if you know he is going to CC, since you will most likely lose out). When you spaced properly and used projectiles effectively, not even when just camping, you were winning against Strong Bad. As good as Link's ground moves are, they are not good approaches due to how easy they are to CC at low percents. At 0:20 you dash attacked into SB on the ground after the projectile hit him. Grab would've been a much better combo option since you have guaranteed follow ups and it isn't CCable.

As far as punishes go, I see that you either end combos way early, or choose inferior options a lot of the time. Having DK above you and upairing is very very effective, but that will not kill or lead to a kill for a long time. For instance at 0:54 in the video you embedded, you opted to upair SB, which allowed him to DI and escape the combo way earlier than I would have enjoyed. If you literally did anything else, be it rang/bair/nair, I guarantee you would have gotten at least 1 more hit after and better positioning aka DK most likely off stage recovering.

Lastly, I think you are too scared of DKs recovery. You never tried to edgeguard DK from the ledge or just by jumping off with a Nair or something. Link is not very effective at edgeguarding from the stage in this game imo. With all of the much better than Melee recoveries, you are going to have to be more proactive in your edgeguard game. From the first couple of stocks, or just from your massive DK experience, you should know rang clanks with UpB, and Bombs bounce off before they explode, making projectiles not very effective. Downtilt is a decent option, but you will never be in range for the spike box since DK can grab from so far away, meaning your best hope is comboing dtilt into fair at mid %s which won't kill. Aside from those things, nothing else is really good enough from onstage to edgeguard DK. Grabbing the edge allows you to use invincibility and some of your highest priority moves like nair to knock him away or force him to recover high, which opens up your options to killing him!

This is all speculation since I have minimal experience in the matchup, but these are some things that have worked for me. If there is anything you disagree with, you should explain to me why. I see Link winning this matchup, you just have to work way harder than DK since his BnBs are easy as hell and have really easy setups.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRNU8CHevf0&feature=youtu.be

Just thought you guys should get a glimpse at your....Rivals? Potential partners? Idk...but the SDR Might entice some people who've been on the fence about Project M or can't get past certain physics related things being off.

The good news is when everything in PM is perfect we can steal everyone who plays this over to the PM section.

PM = SDR 2? :smirk:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i've been lurking in their thread and more than a few people are saying that they're "no longer interested in PM since it's brawl trying to be melee, whereas this is melee" or something to that effect

i do really wanna try that mewtwo, but PM has so much more going for it it's redonkulous lmao

*shrugs* to each thier own i suppose

:phone:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well I don't think I've played an exceptional DK like SB with my Link, and I don't really play Link anymore, but I can talk about the matchup from ROB's perspective, and I've beaten every DK I've played in a serious (tourney/money) match, including SB and BuckOhFive and I think another good one (sadly Eli used Ike/Snake against me :p).

ROB and Link would both approach the matchup similarly I think. They're both slowish campy pokey characters. And that's pretty much what I try to do against DK: just camp and zone him, then go for the edgeguard when I get him offstage. ROB can't camp DK especially well either due to DK's speed, but at least when he is the one forced to approach, he is at the disadvantage. Maybe ROB's projectiles are a bit better for the matchup since laser can't be clanked and gyro is ... gyro, but Link can throw more **** faster and safer, so I dunno who's better off there. I think it's pretty important to actively edgeguard DK. It's usually pretty easy to time an invincible ledgehop bair against DK's up-B, and with Link it would be even easier to time invincible aerials (nair in his case) since he has a tether. Also, like someone said before, it's important to go for grabs in this matchup, basically any time you can scare DK into shielding or crouching anywhere near you. Link gets just as much reward as ROB from dthrow on DK (more if you can pull of the CG, though I was never good at it with Link).

Well that's about as far as I can stretch this comparison. Hope it helps in some way. Maybe I'll pick Link back up a bit so I can try it myself when SB visits in January.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Project M is pointless compared to SDR, sure it's more similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee than borlw was but in reality it just has a thousand differences from Melee compared to bwalr being different in a million of ways, and since a single difference makes the games 10 times worse than Melee then Project M is still ten thousand times worse (and it's also based on balrw, the antichrist of gaming). In fact, i'm gonna stop capitalizing the M in porecjt m because it's doesn't deserve that recognition.

And nobody cares about new characters or stages since they aren't Melee and therefore are the spawn of the devil.

But then again why create SD remix? Why would you change Melee's amazing character balance and its INCREDIBLY DEEP matchups? Super Smash Bros. Melee is God's gift to gaming and it is perfect in every way. Divine light shines bright on the disc whenever the game case is opened, and a chorus of angels can be heard across the world for the duration of every match. It's almost blasphemous. I hope Nintendo sues or something, because this is so wrong.

Life

Smash Hero
He's obviously being super-sarcastic but he's got a point. Provided the PMBR doesn't screw something up majorly I don't see any way MSDR turns out to be better than PM -- there's just more to work with here.

Unless you're a major fan of the cut characters, to the point where they literally outweigh everything new in PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom